• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
For my part... I have been avoiding this game like I've avoided all rogue-likes/rogue-lites myself and I also didn't care for Supergiant's past games, but I admit the neverending praise does give me pause. Then again people gushed about games I ended up hating too. Hrm.

Can someone sell me on Hades, knowing this about my taste? I know there was some praise for the story, but to me that's not enough if I hate the gameplay...

Sep 14, 2018

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For my part... I have been avoiding this game like I've avoided all rogue-likes/rogue-lites myself and I also didn't care for Supergiant's past games, but I admit the neverending praise does give me pause. Then again people gushed about games I ended up hating too. Hrm.

Can someone sell me on Hades, knowing this about my taste? I know there was some praise for the story, but to me that's not enough if I hate the gameplay...
I can't I'm afraid. I don't like roguelikes but I tried Hades anyways due to the praise, thinking maybe it would be the one to help me see the value in the genre. Nope. It has a lot of polish and the core gameplay is fairly fun, but it becomes a boring and repetitive drag very quickly.

IMO there are many 2020 games that are superior to Hades. TLOU2 and Ori: WotW in particular are way better.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019

Can't quite speak for the Supergiant angle (I've loved their previous games) but I can talk as someone who has never got in with the roguelike/lite genre. Hades is the first one I've actually enjoyed - your mileage may vary but I feel like there's been an effort made to make the game entertaining to people who aren't traditionally a fan of the genre, like an interesting story (one that makes sense and progresses with the roguelike mechanics) and characters.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, it's a roguelike/-lite. If you're not a fan of that genre, I can't see how Hades will be the one to break that: it's a very well-crafted, polished One Of Those with a bit more story than usual.

Each year, there are games that garner tons of awards that are in genres that just don't appeal to me. I've tried them a couple times, and come away with the same feeling: I know what I like and don't like, and even if it's a best-in-class version of it, it's not for me.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
So glad this is getting the recognition it deserves. I love all of SG's games and this is easily their best one yet.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

i have next to no experience with rogue likes/lites, but the game just grabbed me and clicked with me from the first 10 minutes. the story and the way it's structured for a game of this kind is really great, and the gameplay feels really well designed and fun. there's a lot of ways you can play each round. 6 weapons, and they each play completely different, a lot of customization before and during each round, it just makes each attempt different and fun, while also feeling like you're progressing and getting better in the overall goal to get to the end.

there's something really satisfying about getting through the first area with little effort, for example, when it took me a lot effort and dying 10+ times to do it the first time.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I am happy SG are getting the recognition they have long deserved. I am not a fan of rouguelikes and Hades did not change my mind on the genre (same with Dead Cells) but I am still playing it to see the end. The characters and story are really well done.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

how do you feel about your father? ever wanted to kill him?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I over exerted myself and am paying the price. I did some gardening, and "relaxed" by beating Hades handheld for the first time (bouncy shield). Then my left arm started aching, and lost a lot of strength and control in my left thumb. Had it in a sling for a while, learned about rotator cuffs. That was a few weeks ago now, and although I can type two handed again, I'm still on painkillers. Not really a knock on the game at all, which I look forward to finishing off in god mode at some point.

TLOU2 just hurt me in the soul, and then GoT killed it dead. Death Stranding remains my game of the year, it was the only one that had a wholly positive effect on me in 2020.
Damn, hope you get better soon. Just seems like some bad luck.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm sorry. i was afraid that would get real. i worry about my parents too. it is very satisfying to clear this game though.

i would say hades is a great game to play if you want to look at this image and have your brain release dopamine.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017

What is it you dislike about rogue lites? Hades does a few things to make progress feel better. For story, it's more so the charming writing and characters so if you weren't a huge fan of the storytelling in past SGG titles then it probably won't away you. Now personally, I've only really liked Pyre and Hades from them gameplaywise right off the bat and I think the story is their best after dropping off of the stories in Bastion and Transistor pretty quickly the first time through. I think Pyre might be a better story, but the gameplay loop in Hades makes it a lot more appealing for me.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
i'm sorry. i was afraid that would get real. i worry about my parents too. it is very satisfying to clear this game though.

i would say hades is a great game to play if you want to look at this image and have your brain release dopamine.

i want to turn my gun into a rocket launcher and it's just giving me the other ones and this is the only hammer i've seen so far and it's elysium

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

This may sound like a lame advice and it probably is, but how about watching some let's play footage and seeing if it looks like something you'd be interested in?

Seeking out articulate post/videos on why people like it could also help.

I know this isn't always surefire, I've had at least one case where I watched a video with detailed praise and the things that were praised were true enough, but it turned out I didn't enjoy actually playing that stuff as much as it seemed like I would on paper.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Glad to see people enjoying Rogue-likes. I don't find games where I have to repeat content ad-nauseum fun at all. I found Hades too frustrating to enjoy.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Hades's gameplay is one major reason why it's grabbed me in a way that no other roguelike has ever done.

It's a fast-paced isometric hack and slash where before you even start a run you're already thinking about what kind of build you want to make, and you're constantly making choices and gambles to try and make it into a reality, and the more and more you play, the deeper and deeper it gets, with the game slowly feeding you more complexity and options to make every run different.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
I'll admit to being a bit of a grognard but IMO Hades is more of a rogue-lite than a rogue-like. When I think roguelike I think something like Caves of Qud (also an amazing game). And yes, I'm overly concerned about meaningless semantics. :D

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dismissing hades because it's a rouge lite or whatever is like dismissing mario because it's a platformer. this game is perfectly executed. wasn't it in early access for a long time so they basically received a bunch of feedback from players and took it into account as they were developing it? it definitely shows.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Great game, I just wish the fond is a bit bigger. Games nowadays often assume people sit like 2 feet away from their 1080p TVs. :/

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
A few hours left to get it on sale... I see a lot of praise for this but at the same time I saw a lot of praise for Grindstone, and I was not impressed at all when I tried it on Apple Arcade...

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
dismissing hades because it's a rouge lite or whatever is like dismissing mario because it's a platformer. this game is perfectly executed. wasn't it in early access for a long time so they basically received a bunch of feedback from players and took it into account as they were developing it? it definitely shows.

It was in early access for almost two years, and the player feedback is the driving force behind a significant amount of gameplay considerations. For example: Supergiant has said that if they were left to their own devices the entire time, aspects wouldn't exist at all.

Last edited:

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
It was in early access for almost two years, and the player feedback is the driving force behind a significant amount of gameplay considerations. Supergiant has said that if they were left to their own devices the entire time, aspects wouldn't exist at all.

I picked it up when it came out in EA and it was a totally different game. One of the true EA success stories IMO, where the dev truly listened to player feedback and resulted in an incredibly polished experience.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017

I found Bastion boring and hate Spelunky. Hades is one of my favorite games because it is simply just an awesome action game where you happen to die a lot. The controls and feel of combat is just phenomenal.

The characters, presentation, story, music, and basically everything else is just top notch too

{Marvelous}

Jan 2, 2018
Yeah well deserved. I wanted to criticize this game after investing a lot of time, after really getting into the endgame, as if I'd have more insight into what I felt it might do poorly for what it is but I can't. For its scope it's so tremendously iterative and thoughtful in every facet of its gameplay loop, something I hadn't seen in awhile.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
A few hours left to get it on sale... I see a lot of praise for this but at the same time I saw a lot of praise for Grindstone, and I was not impressed at all when I tried it on Apple Arcade...
I guess you have to ask yourself if you like isometric character action games. The roguelite stuff is there, but there's also a lot of story, polish, great music, voice acting, art, persistent growth, etc. that elevate it beyond most games in the genre, and sits up there with the best. On the roguelite piece specifically, for what it's worth, I have a few friends who can't stand them, but they love Hades.

Jul 3, 2019
SuperGiant deserves the recognition. Particularly for the great example in how to treat it's staff. Which in turn only makes their games better since they have a team that is dedicated knowing that they are valued and appreciated.
Game industry desperately needs more of this.

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
I kind of liked Bastion (good but not great), but felt kind of indiffrent towards Pyre and Transistor. Any chance I'll end up liking Hades?

edit: I am not so into isometric games

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017

All I can say is that the most common praise I've heard about the game (before it achieved GotY status and these threads started popping up) is "I usually don't like rougelites but Hades totally hooked me" or something along those lines. Because of how much meta-progression is in the game I genuinely don't think disliking rougelites or run-based games is a disqualifier. I also think people have come under the impression that the narrative is the main draw, when really the praise comes the fact they managed to weave a narrative into a subgenre/design paradigm that generally doesn't have narrative or characterization at all beyond some lore tidbits. The gameplay is still the main draw of the game and it is plays leagues better than their other games, imo.

Last edited:

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I kind of liked Bastion (good but not great), but felt kind of indiffrent towards Pyre and Transistor. Any chance I'll end up liking Hades?

edit: I am not so into isometric games

Can only speak for myself but I rather enjoyed Bastion but bounced off of Transistor. Have only recently started Hades on Switch but I kind of love it. Have cleared the game a couple of times now and it has rocketed into my top 5 this year.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017

This largely depends on what specifically you don't like about roguelikes/roguelites, but what I personally feels sets it apart from most games like it is:

-There's a very real sense of progression. Every single run gets you *something* concrete that you carry forward towards your overall progress into the game. Even if you don't manage to slay bosses (which gets you the big progression items), you are always getting darkness (used to unlock permanent upgrades and abilities), gems (used to unlock cosmetics and new kinds of helpful dungeon rooms), keys (used to unlock weapons). Even if you eventually buy all the upgrades with a certain resource, there's also a shop that lets you trade resources. As such, there is effectively no such thing as a wasted run in Hades. Every single playthrough will permanently reward you in some capacity.

-The permanent upgrades that you can get between runs are incredibly meaningful. Abilities that you can buy with darkness include things like being able to outright shrug off death a number of times, increasing your starting HP, increasing the probability that you get higher quality boons from the gods, and such. Gems are seemingly just for cosmetics at first, but then you start to see that you can unlock things with them in the dungeon like jars that hold increasing amounts of money, safe rooms where you can heal, and more. Keys unlock weapons (which dramatically impact your playstyle) and can also be used to reset your darkness spent on abilities (and thus lets you respec if you decide that you want to spend your darkness elsewhere).

-While it is still very much a roguelite and the moment to moment action is randomized, you actually have more control over the randomness than most games of its type. You are almost always given the choice between possible encounters, which impacts the enemies you face and the rewards you get per room, and can even see if you are possibly going into a challenge room where a mini-boss or something else difficult might be waiting.

-Similarly, while the gods that give you your boons (which serve as both your passive support and some active abilities) are ultimately randomized through most of the runs, you can collect permanent equipable trinkets to push the game towards giving you the gods you want so you can better get the abilities and builds you want. It's not 100% control over the chaos, but it's control that most roguelikes would otherwise not afford you. You can mostly reliable get started on a run with the general abilities that you want.

-People talk about how good the narrative in this game is (and it truly is) but it's also worth mention (with regards to spoiling as little as possible) is that the narrative is very incredibly woven into how the game itself is played in a way that very few games of its type have ever successfully pulled off.

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
Can only speak for myself but I rather enjoyed Bastion but bounced off of Transistor. Have only recently started Hades on Switch but I kind of love it. Have cleared the game a couple of times now and it has rocketed into my top 5 this year.

Thanks for the info. I definitely want to try it out! Let's hope that a PS4 version is coming in 2021!

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll admit to being a bit of a grognard but IMO Hades is more of a rogue-lite than a rogue-like. When I think roguelike I think something like Caves of Qud (also an amazing game). And yes, I'm overly concerned about meaningless semantics. :D
Yes, it's a roguelite. If your character receives permanent upgrades / enhancements, it's a roguelite. If they don't, it's a roguelike.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
I have never played a Roguelike so I wasn't interested in Hades but you can't go 5 minutes without seeing someone singing it's praises! I hope they put it out on PS4/PS5 soon. If we haven't heard anything by summer then I'll just buy it on Switch.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Can't wait to dive in TBH, my friend gifted it to me via Steam. I just do not like the isometric perspective at all, I never have.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly the gameplay is the good part it's super snappy and breakneck fast. This game has a progression system where currency you collect each attempt is spent in the home base to permanently upgrade you. Runs never feel like a waste and there is a ton of different dialog that keeps things fresh between them.

Gezech

Oct 28, 2017
Well deserved. 50+ runs and still going strong. Addictive as hell. I'll probably stop once I reach the epilogue though.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I just started Hades and its excellent but I won't remember it a month from now whereas a lot of other games I played this year will stay with me a long long time

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

You like games with good combat, I'm sure you can take some enjoyment out of this.

I didn't like any of the previous games from this studio and I'm also not a fan of the roguelite genre. Hades is cool, weapons and different powers are fun to use.

Presentation is also top notch (visuals and music).

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
I just started Hades and its excellent but I won't remember it a month from now whereas a lot of other games I played this year will stay with me a long long time
How can you even say this if you just started the game? At least play it until the end.

Hades is my goty and no other game this year came even close.