• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Started playing yesterday, and before I knew it, it was 8 in the morning. Now I'm drowsy at work.

This game is dangerously addictive. I want to go back and play some more.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Nice job for Hades. Should we also create a thread every time TLOU2 wins GOTY?

People are making threads about the most important ones, TLoU II is winning in a lot of random sites no one cares about, if you wanna create a thread for TLoU winning the Gamereactor Portugal GOTY award go ahead.

This feels like Shakespeare in Love when Saving Private Ryan is just staring you in the face.

I haven't played it, so I'm not saying it's a bad pick, but based on what I know, it's hard for me to imagine Hades achieves more in the medium than TLOU2.

Bad analogy, SPR is a masterpiece of a film while TLoU II is a heavily flawed game from a design standpoint that alienated a big part of the fanbase from the predecessor.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a big fan of Supergiant Games as a studio (Pyre is one of my favourite games of all time), it's really nice to see them getting this recognition.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
This feels like Shakespeare in Love when Saving Private Ryan is just staring you in the face.

I haven't played it, so I'm not saying it's a bad pick, but based on what I know, it's hard for me to imagine Hades achieves more in the medium than TLOU2.
I didn't offer any opinion on the game itself. I'm only saying the awards dynamic feels like critics intentionally avoiding the obvious choice to reward a plucky achiever.
Not only is it ridiculous to make that claim without having played one of the games, it's also that the film comparison being used completely misunderstands why Shakespeare in Love beat out Saving Private Ryan. SiL wasn't made best picture because people wanted to reward the plucky underdog, it was more to do with it being the subject of one of the first major Oscar awards campaigns and was constantly pushed by the studio into voters faces through incessant media coverage and marketing. Kind of the opposite of Hades.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
coming into a thread about a game winning goty to say it doesn't deserve it, and then saying you haven't even played it...
just wow

Nov 9, 2017
People are making threads about the most important ones, TLoU II is winning in a lot of random sites no one cares about, if you wanna create a thread for TLoU winning the Gamereactor Portugal GOTY award go ahead.

Bad analogy, SPR is a masterpiece of a film while TLoU II is a heavily flawed game from a design standpoint that alienated a big part of the fanbase from the predecessor.

Don't get so arrogant lol. Nobody really thinks that Hades is anything more than the indie darling of the year. The game is actually kinda flawed in some areas and Supergiant has already said there are no plans to add any new improvements or content like other rogue-likes do.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get so arrogant lol. Nobody really thinks that Hades is anything more than the indie darling of the year. The game is actually kinda flawed in some areas and Supergiant has already said there are no plans to add any new improvements or content like other rogue-likes do.
I'm actually really happy Hades is content-complete. It's a full, wonderful package and Supergiant gets to move on to their next project.

I mean, I'm a person (I think?), and I think it's more than that. As does Eurogamer? These console warrior posts are just strange to me. Do you really care so much about your chosen video game not winning?
It seems Era isn't doing a 2020 GotY thread and I'm glad, because for whatever reason, the current state of this community isn't capable of having mature, respectful discussions about this topic.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Not played it yet, can't be doing with rogue likes but all the buzz I have heard about the game has been really positive.

Honestly cannot recall hearing any toxic or fucking insufferable discourse around it.

It's not Ooblets...but what is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the fact that hades a distant #2 in the overall awards makes all the shit posting and thread derailment about it not deserving the awards it's getting even sadder, tbh.

OP
OP

Raigor

May 14, 2020
The fact that the TLOU2 fans are jumping in every thread where TLOU2 is not winning to say that X game does not deserve the awards DESPITE TLOU 2 HAVING MORE AWARDS and TGA GOTY 2020 it's both patethic and sad.

Don't worry, Naughty Dog is not going to suffer because Hades won a couple of awards.

"Reputable"... only big american awards matter apparently. There's other people in the world btw.

Eurogamer is british, but carry on.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
That isn't even true though.

TLOU2is leading overall GotYs by a large margin, which makes the mounting hostilities from a small subset of its fans even more bizarre.
Not that it makes it right at all this time, but it's just a thing happens every year. GoW, Botw, TW3, etc. Fans can get obnoxious, lol.

Plum

May 31, 2018
the fact that hades a distant #2 in the overall awards makes all the shit posting and thread derailment about it not deserving the awards it's getting even sadder, tbh.

I think a little bit of that is because Hades tends to be winning GOTY from the most well-known sources. Looking at the GOTYPicks Blogspot a lot of TLoU:P2's wins come from either lesser-known sites (so many with the name 'nerd' or 'geek' in the title...) or from Reader's Choice awards (i.e. meaningless popularity contests), so it's hard to make big news threads exclaiming "TLOU:P2 WINS X SITE'S GOTY," without it looking a bit 'grasping at straws'-ish; but, I mean, if they do want to then that's OK.

Personally I think the concept of GOTY on any larger a scale than one's own self, let alone trying to track the 'overall winner' for GOTY, is inherently ridiculous; so I've got no horse in the race either way. My personal GOTY this year is Umurangi Generation anyway, with TLoU:P2 in second place and Hades somewhere quite a bit lower, so even if I did have a horse in the race it wouldn't be for Hades lol

Last edited:

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
Bums me out to see this thread descend into a console warrior shitshow. Can't we all just enjoy the video games? :p

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
What a fucking mess of a thread. Imagine caring so much that a game that isn't your favorite won GOTY. Final Fantasy VII Remake was my favorite game of the year but I'm not complaining every single time TLOU2 or Hades wins an award. Fucking hell.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
For good reason/ it's really hard to not like the game. It's complete, not glitchy, reasonably priced, with no mtx. It's got incredible gameplay, music, sound, characters, variety, art. It's the whole package.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish there was a policy about derailing GOTY threads.

Good gravy some TLOU2 fans are insufferable.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
deserved, would have been mine too, but it's complicit in personal physical injury, and gets docked points for that because i am still recovering

Sep 14, 2018
You went from pretending that only american outlets are awarding Hades to stop "addressing me" because I showed you that you are wrong.

Nothing more to add LMFAO
Both of those things didn't happen. I love that Hades is getting recognition so I don't know why you think showing me it's awards would make me unhappy. I asked that you stop adressing me because your responses show you're not worth talking to. Goodbye.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Nice job for Hades. Should we also create a thread every time TLOU2 wins GOTY?

giphy.gif

STAHP

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Can't believe I have to say this, but:

1) It's OK if your favourite game didn't win and you don't need to embarrass yourself about it
2) About a whole whopping two posters failed at point #1, but now the entire thread is derailed as if it was a swarm of them. Y'all are just as toxic.

Please stop and grow up, all of you. Thanks.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017

Oh I over exerted myself and am paying the price. I did some gardening, and "relaxed" by beating Hades handheld for the first time (bouncy shield). Then my left arm started aching, and lost a lot of strength and control in my left thumb. Had it in a sling for a while, learned about rotator cuffs. That was a few weeks ago now, and although I can type two handed again, I'm still on painkillers. Not really a knock on the game at all, which I look forward to finishing off in god mode at some point.

TLOU2 just hurt me in the soul, and then GoT killed it dead. Death Stranding remains my game of the year, it was the only one that had a wholly positive effect on me in 2020.