• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to Supergiant, what a year for them with Covid, the break-ins during protests etc. to end it off with a critically as well as commercially acclaimed GotY release. One of my favorite gaming related 2020 stories.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Bought it in a recent Steam sale and it's one of the few 2020 games I'm still itching to play. Hope to get to it soon. I'm not really a fan of roguelikes even though I like challenging games (always hesitated to start Dead Cells too), but it seems doable to at least finish this once. Friend of mine was hooked and put a ton of hours into it.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Deserved. Went in thinking I wouldn't get on with it as I'm not generally a fan of roguelikes/lites but it turned out Supergiant had catered specifically for people like me.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. The OST, gameplay, characters, writing and voice acting are all top notch.
I really love how they took f2p-esque multiple currencies and used them in a game without Mtx. Almost seems like an intentional statement.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Hades is my second least favorite Supergiant game (still thought it was fantastic), but I'm so fucking glad Supergiant is getting all of this recognition. Fantastic company!

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hades is my second least favorite Supergiant game (still thought it was fantastic), but I'm so fucking glad Supergiant is getting all of this recognition. Fantastic company!
Same. Hades is a good game but its not my favorite, but I'm super happy that Supergiant is getting the recognition they deserve.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
If I thought Bastion was super boring and I absolutely loved Transistor, would I like Hades?

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
Well deserved. You don't need to create a billion dollar triple A game to become game of the year.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
Transistor and bastion didn't really click with me at all but I'm still getting very tempted to give this one a shot as I can end up getting really into roguelikes.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah after Hades, Supergiant is a studio I'm going to follow closely (No pressure guys! ;)).

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
If I thought Bastion was super boring and I absolutely loved Transistor, would I like Hades?

I wouldn't compare it to your experiences with any of their other games. It's chalk and cheese.

Do you like rogue-likes and fun combat systems? That's how you know if you'll like Hades. Compare it to something like Dead Cells or Rogue Legacy, not Bastion and Transistor.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Malindy: To me you just answered the question "Is Hades a roguelike" and not "what elevates it". Because by that description I'd say nothing. I think it's more interesting that Supergiant set out to make a Roguelike for people who dislike the genre entirely.

Bertie: That's a great way of looking at it!

Malindy: Because then you can go "What elevates it is actually that it doesn't try too hard to be a roguelike, but makes space for character development, both mechanically and in writing, and it's more interested in say, feel, than genre standards". Because honestly, if you*re not invested on the character front, that game could have more depth.

I'm not making a good case for a GOTY, am I.

Good for Supergiant for the eurogamer nod, but I disagree with this framing. Hades is not hostile to the genre it technically inhabits; I would argue that it's more accurate to say Supergiant fully indulged in the roguelike genre's replayability to further deepen their own storytelling and gameplay goals. Hades' characters are charming and likable which goes a long way, but laying Hades' success squarely at the feet of its cast is a disservice to its intentional and holistic design.

Do you like rogue-likes and fun combat systems? That's how you know if you'll like Hades. Compare it to something like Dead Cells or Rogue Legacy, not Bastion and Transistor.

It's definitely more Bastion and Transistor than it is other roguelikes.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Of the "typical nominees" for GotY, this is definitely my personal pick; however, Yakuza: Like a Dragon will always be GotY in my heart.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, it's not a bad game by any means but not GOTY for my tastes. I much preferred Dead Cells.
I might prefer 2018 Dead Cells, but current-day Dead Cells has a difficulty balance problem and is getting too bloated for its own good. It doesn't appear Supergiant is going to be adding any significant new content to Hades, which means it will ultimately end up as my preferred game between the two. It's a wonderful, complete package as it stands.

GWX

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I say out loud Hades, I can only think of "get in my Mercedes" lol

So yeah, congrats to Supergiant! Will get it early next year for the Switch, can't wait!

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017
I just started playing this game in the last couple days, and the more I die, the more I get invested in the game and enjoy it. I am so into the progression system.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I have got to check this game out if I get a Switch (Or upgrade my comp). It looks fantastic every time I see it :)

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Good for a publication to publish the game of the year, when the year is actually close to be over. However, they're wrong. That's fine though, not everyone can be right all the time.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good for a publication to publish the game of the year, when the year is actually close to be over. However, they're wrong. That's fine though, not everyone can be right all the time.
I guess a lot of people must be "wrong" then seeing as Hades is winning a to of GotY awards.

What may I ask is the "right" answer?