• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GonzoCR

Oct 28, 2017
I think the game could use more variety. I'm really liking it but it does get a little repetitive, and I'm only 20 hours in (beat the final boss 4 times). Really enjoying the story but the runs are starting to get rather samey.

Oct 25, 2017
I beat it once, got to the point I was getting to the final boss several times, and enjoyed it. Could see myself playing it more but I dropped it when I found out the next mile stone was beating it 10 times.

That's probably why God Mode is there and why it's at 28%, high for an achievement like that

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Roguelikes are terrible and I was tricked into buying Hades through its glowing praise.

As far as implementing story into a Roguelike, making the grind to achieve something a canon act that Zagreus takes part in where everyone around you is aware that you keep dying and has something new to say nearly every time, that's actually incredible. I will never be able to enjoy a game that resets me that hard upon death, death being that thing I'm supposed to go through until I learn how to overcome my obstacle and therefore what happens all the time, but if I were able to I'd probably be in love with Hades.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I'm currently playing through Hades on Switch, and while I really like it, I'm not getting as obsessed with it as I did with Dead Cells. While Dead Cells slowly opened up more exploration and routes through the game as you got farther, runs in Hades feel a lot more similar to each other. Dead Cells varies it up a bit by having the exploration and different biome/boss routes through the island, but outside of the story, which is definitely great, Hades' gameplay during the runs is *just* combat, which is why I think it feels a lot less replayable for me and I need to take long breaks between runs.

I finally got to the final boss for the first time today, and died shortly after hitting his second phase. Instead of feeling excited to jump back in and try to beat him, I felt kind of discouraged and not thrilled about how long it would take to get another chance at beating him. Not that the runs are super long or anything, but it's kind of exhausting to go through combat encounter after combat encounter. I wish there was more exploration or more intriguing non-combat moments like finding Eurydice in Asphodel.

I know a lot of people love the game and find it really compulsively replayable, but I'm finding that I get invested in my build/run and feel kind of bummed out about having to go back through the early game.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Probably worth mentioning God Mode, which makes reaching those story points less a matter of skill, and just time.
Exactly this. I don't know why more people don't talk about this. Maybe it's not obvious enough. I beat the game once without it, then turned it on so I could keep progressing without it becoming a slog. It's a great feature to improve accessibility.

For anybody curious, you get 20% reduced damage, and that increases by +2% each time you die. If you die 30 times, you get the max damage reduction of 80% which should make the difficulty fairly trivial for even the most casual players. There is literally no penalty for using God Mode, it just makes the game easier. I mentioned it to each of my friends that I've recommended the game to.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
23% beating a roguelike 10 times is fucking insanity from my point of view. Hell, almost 50% getting one clear is crazy too.
Seriously.

As someone whose main genre of play is roguelikes/lites, those numbers blow my mind and are clearly a testament to how good the game is. I'd bet that if we pull numbers from some of the other popular games in the genre, they are nowhere near these clear rates.

Hell let me introduce you to Sword of the Stars - The Pit, which according to my achievement list has been beaten by 0.9% of players on Normal and 2.3% on Easy. Am I a God?

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
If you think 23% is low for completion rate, you should take a peek at other completion rates. Anecdotally, Steam achievements seem to indicate that most people will finish a level or two, about half will make it to somewhere in the middle of the game, and about a quarter will actually see it through to the end.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After my first victory I pretty much stopped playing.

Maybe if they added more bosses I would have kept going, but fighting the Hydra and the Pair over and over was not my idea of a good time.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I had no idea what God Mode did until now so I turned it on after 27 tries without reaching the end once. I'm excited I might have an actual chance now.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Once you beat the game once it's pretty easy.

I think I got my first kill around run 20 and my 10th on like run 33.

KeyChainDude

Oct 28, 2017
The game is really grindy, I also do not enjoy this aspect. After beating the game 10 times I had accumulated so much Ambrosia that I could clear most sidequests, but I still haven't finished any, because I'm waiting for some random dialogue to be triggered to be able to close each of them. Very lame.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Those seem like ridiculously high numbers for a rogue like tbh

The secret with Hades is all the littlle upgrades/unlocks you do means the game basically becomes 1-2% easier every run.

Unless you enable the extra optional difficulty stuff, it becomes pretty trivial eventually.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I beat the Hades bossfight once and that was it for me.
The game is too light on content that I care about and not fun enough to rerun over and over and over.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I love the game but I gave up maxing out all those links because it just takes too fucking long. Not a difficulty thing, I get a clear almost every time. Maybe I'll will go back to it someday.

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
I am honestly shocked some people didn't know about God Mode in here. I guess that tells me there are some people straight up never go through a game's options ever. (I have to due to accessibility issues)

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The numbers are high but the game isn't that hard and has so much meta progression that makes it even easier to beat the more you play it. After beating it for the first time, I could beat almost every other run if the RNG was in my favor.

There's a reason why they added The Pact of Punishment modifiers.

Great game though. One of my all time favorites.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ive not played this yet but I'm more confused why you need to beat the game 10 times to actually beat it?
At first glance that sounds tedious as hell
It's a rogue like focused on story and beating it 10 tikes unlocks more story, it's not hard to see why. Not to mention runs can usually take less than an hour to get to the final boss.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
The numbers are high but the game isn't that hard and has so much meta progression that makes it even easier to beat the more you play it. After beating it for the first time, I could beat almost every other run if the RNG was in my favor.

Yeah once you've beaten the game the first time you'll likely have advanced the meta progression enough that beating it more really becomes pretty easy.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You keep getting better. Beatng it ten times becomes easy. I think my final ratio was more escapes then fails and I fully finished the game with a 36 heat run. You should be escaping 9/10 times unless you are pushing pacts one you get your mirror and weapons mostly maxed out.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
Has any pulled the numbers on Soulsborne games (especially Sekiro)?

I'm sure the numbers are lower than Hades.

Personally I'm not the type of gamer who really likes punishing brutal hard games. But Hades has the perfect incline of difficulty. Really eases you into it. Plus, losing in a run never really felt like losing because it meant more story. (I actually killed myself on purpose a could couple of times to help progress story and relationships faster).

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I escaped 3-4 times and felt like I had seen enough. The story might be good but it started to feel like a grind just to get the next small piece of it and repeat.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Has any pulled the numbers on Soulsborne games (especially Sekiro)?

I'm sure the numbers are lower than Hades.

Personally I'm not the type of gamer who really likes punishing brutal hard games. But Hades has the perfect incline of difficulty. Really eases you into it. Plus, losing in a run never really felt like losing because it meant more story. (I actually killed myself on purpose a could couple of times to help progress story and relationships faster).
o9sq1ut.png

32.2% of Sekiro players on Steam have beaten the final boss

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Probably worth mentioning God Mode, which makes reaching those story points less a matter of skill, and just time.

I feel this is something that should have been explained early on, and perhaps added as an option in-game connected to a narrative point, rather than being a hidden menu option.

Would have kept a lot more people going, I'd imagine.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I love the game but only beat it ten times to feel like I'd actually 'beaten' it. It's fun to come up with new ridiculous combos but by time I was at win five or six I was running a little on fumes, and I was just getting a little annoyed when I would fail a run because a lynchpin boom never dropped.

There's certainly a lot of variables, so you're seeing new things for awhile even when redoing things (except in the penultimate level, which always seemed to play the same?) but I wish they either reduced some randomness (maybe getting to save loadouts?) or added additional monsters/hazards late in the game.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
I played the game for 4 or so hours before realizing I had made zero progress. I've grinded that much in old jrpgs just to get to the rite level to beat a boss. It just wasn't worth my time.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'd say that's a problem for all rogue-likes. However, I've played a lot of them and Hades is by far the best at pushing the player through to the finish line. Giving the player so many means of progression whenever it be the narrative, all the many resources, or permanent upgrades means it's very rare to have a run that felt like a waste of time. It's also less difficult but maybe that's just me.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Doing everything in Hades is not that bad , casual players just get sick of games faster and move on to the next big game.

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
Yeah...23% is pretty high. That said, I was pretty underwhelmed by the story anyway. It just didn't have any particularly interesting revelations. The drip feed of "story" was mostly color-by-number character development IMO. Now the gameplay- I did very much enjoy that. I played to the third ending just because I was enjoying the runs and had the arbitrary promise of another ending to give me an endpoint.

Mar 11, 2021
I think the game could use more variety. I'm really liking it but it does get a little repetitive, and I'm only 20 hours in (beat the final boss 4 times). Really enjoying the story but the runs are starting to get rather samey.
After playing Gungeon, this is my main critique.

But then I think the repetitiveness of the game is part of why it has had mainstream success. I don't mean that in a bad way, either.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
The endless praise this game gets has peaked my curiosity, despite me not being a fan of this genre, to the point where I was hovering the buy button just a couple of weeks ago, but yeah, reading the thread, I doubt it's gonna be my jam.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I beat it once and that was enough for me. The game gets much too repetitive with the same 4 areas, same enemies, mostly the same 4 bosses, over and over again.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I just learned about God Mode from this thread. I believe I saw the option before but must have assumed it made the game harder lol. I beat it once like I said earlier so won't feel so bad by turning God Mode on when I eventually return to it to get the real ending.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Those numbers are pretty damn high. I'm curious about the numbers for others like Spelunky, especially the Hell route.