• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I think this game has my favorite interpretation of Achilles I've seen in a work of fiction. I've been meaning to read Song of Achilles for a while now but after Greg Kasavin recommended it in that reddit AMA it's bumped up my to-do list a lot.

His portrayal in this game -- from writing to acting to art -- is just... exceptional. He's such a simple and kind man, but packed within every word is just so much depth. Depth which reveals itself brilliantly throughout the experience. You can tell he's burdened, but you can tell the weight lifts when he speaks to Zagreus. The quiet pride in his voice when he's congratulating Zagreus. The gentle way he calls him "lad". The abundance of his emotional honesty and availability (what Zagreus never got from his father). Touching stuff, man.

The last lines of his codex entry on Zagreus literally moved me to tears:

"Yet, he soon showed a quality that startled me much more than his fighting prowess. Forgive me, O gods! You are not known for your kindness. Yet, this son of the Lord Hades always regarded me, a mere shade, with respect; and the congenial manner of a longtime friend..."

Last edited:

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
This looks a lot like Kid Icarus Uprising, in a good way.
That's actually why I bought it, personally, LOL.

Of course, it's a very different approach when it comes to adapting Greek mythology in practice. Supergiant's Hades actually tries to be relatively loyal to the myths, diverging only once they've already covered most of the important points. Uprising is more like taking Disney's Hercules, cutting it with shonen anime, and doing lines.

But they have the important part in common, and that's that the characters are written with a legitimate sense of heart. This game doesn't focus on (sweet, wonderful) comedy like Uprising, but the characters aren't AFRAID of showing levity when the opportunity rises. Both games are also kind of dysfunction junctions in regards to interpersonal relationships, but Supergiant's Hades is kinda unique in that, despite being a game set in the Underworld, a large part of the gameplay loop is actually dedicated to untangling that mess.

I think that's why this game in particular is such a joyous fanart magnet. Because the characters strike a chord with people.

NGL though, I hope this game's popularity tells Nintendo on some level that there's a market for an Uprising remake/sequel.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
That's actually why I bought it, personally, LOL.

Of course, it's a very different approach when it comes to adapting Greek mythology in practice. Supergiant's Hades actually tries to be relatively loyal to the myths, diverging only once they've already covered most of the important points. Uprising is more like taking Disney's Hercules, cutting it with shonen anime, and doing lines.

But they have the important part in common, and that's that the characters are written with a legitimate sense of heart. This game doesn't focus on (sweet, wonderful) comedy like Uprising, but the characters aren't AFRAID of showing levity when the opportunity rises. Both games are also kind of dysfunction junctions in regards to interpersonal relationships, but Supergiant's Hades is kinda unique in that, despite being a game set in the Underworld, a large part of the gameplay loop is actually dedicated to untangling that mess.

I think that's why this game in particular is such a joyous fanart magnet. Because the characters strike a chord with people.

NGL though, I hope this game's popularity tells Nintendo on some level that there's a market for an Uprising remake/sequel.
This Hades would hate the everloving shit out of KIU's Hades.

Not talking about reacting to the latter's deeds or anything, just the personality of KIU Hades would annoy him to no end.

Kinda funny to think about.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
No wonder, this game is so sexy. Amazing artwork so far.

I wish I wasn't so broke cause I'm dying to play this game T_T

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
This thread needs even more NYX

b635b239fb4f5ae4042d2d92b42489b8e2398b3c.png

And more of Orpheus and Euridyce.

Jul 19, 2020
Read Song of Achilles and love the game's interpretation of Patroclus and him more than ever now, so here's some more sad fanart of them I've found that I really like.

I also really like these and think the artist nailed the personality of the gods in their dialogue.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Read Song of Achilles and love the game's interpretation of Patroclus and him more than ever now, so here's some more sad fanart of them I've found that I really like.

I also really like these and think the artist nailed the personality of the gods in their dialogue.

How wonderful is that book? I was in tears by the end.

I highly recommend the book Circe, written by the same author. Its longer, but just an amazing book.