• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
This is an amazing game people, you need to play it... my favorite Supergiant game, by far (for reference, I've finished Bastion and Transistor, and own Pyre but hate it).

One of only a handful of games I ever bought off EGS, it was already fantastic back in early access and its even better now. Considering buying it again on Steam just to support Supergiant.

Texan365

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone that's played both versions (Switch and PC) comment on how much of a downgrade the Switch version is?

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I really don't get on with roguelites/likes with two exceptions - Rogue Legacy and now Hades. It's an amazing game and is well worth all the praise it's currently receiving.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Massive leap over previous Supergiant games. The gameplay is tight, the setting is marvellous, the story... I'm not sure but it's well written at least, and all the gameplay systems so far work nicely together.
Dead Cells is still my favourite rogue but that had a lot of content updates so let's see what else is cooking for Hades.
GOTY it is not, as this will go to Paradise Killer for me.

OP
OP
PS9

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Let's not turn this into a platform war. Let's just all agree that Hades is awesome.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
It's an incredible game, and only rogue like since Dead Cells to have such incredibly tight gameplay. I still prefer Dead Cells, but that's just my personal choice due to not usually loving isometric games too much. Hades is an incredible game, and the Switch port is generally excellent even if I wish they could bump the docked resolution a tad
I was actually afraid this would be another Dead Cells, a roguelike that gets hyped up but that I personally simply can't get into. Still I've put like 20-30 hours into Dead Cells, but I very rarely felt that "just one more run" hook and I kinda feel like a crazy person because other than the gameplay being tight, I think just about everything else kinda sucks.

Luckily, Hades is so much better.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Yeah Hades was already a big deal before it even "launched"

It shooting the fuck up on eShop rankings sure doesn't hurt though.
I'm definitely interested in the breakdown of sales for the 300,000 since launch day and how much (or little) of a factor the Switch was in those numbers.

But just glad to see it doing very well, Supergiant make great games that deserve to be celebrated whatever the platform

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Can anyone that's played both versions (Switch and PC) comment on how much of a downgrade the Switch version is?

I've only played the PC version for a few minutes but I'm considering refunding it for the Switch version.

Going off of impressions I've read/watched, the Switch version runs at 720p in both handheld and docked modes. It runs at 60 but can slow down when things get hectic. If you play docked, you're probably better off with the PC version. If handheld, and you don't mind slowdown here and there, Switch should suffice.

OP
OP
PS9

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's the perfect handheld game. That 60FPS in your hands is soooooo good.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ouch. I hate when roguelites do that. The game shouldn't get easier the more you play.

I don't necessarily prefer either roguelike/lite approach (Spelunky is one of my favourite games of all time) but Hades offers a shitload of modifiers to make the game incredibly difficult in myriad interesting ways.

Jun 17, 2018
I've got a £10 voucher to use on EGS but also have a Switch. Portability is pulling me more towards that version but I could save money buying the PC version. I have no idea where to buy it!

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Ouch. I hate when roguelites do that. The game shouldn't get easier the more you play.

It more or less follows the path of Dead Cells. You get some upgrades that will make your first clear easier the more runs you do but then after that you unlock harder difficulties that will balance things again. Permantent upgrades, however, are more significant in Hades than in Dead Cells.

I've got a £10 voucher to use on EGS but also have a Switch. Portability is pulling me more towards that version but I could save money buying the PC version. I have no idea where to buy it!

Switch port is pretty great if you want to play on handheld, it's one of the smoothest and crispier games on the system. Also, it has a launch discount of 20% until the 24th.

Automagical

Jun 27, 2020
Bought on steam a few nights ago. Just finished my first successful escape after 30 attempts. I'm 100% hooked to return, im going to sink 100+ hours into this easily, and should help tide me over till PS5

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Easily my GOTY. I played a little bit through Early Access and it was amazing, but I waited until v1.0 to truly dive in and I'm loving it so much.

Sarevok

Jul 13, 2020
Yeah I bought it after enjoying Bastion and Transistor this year but this is easily their best playing game without a doubt*

*I haven't played Pyre yet

Pyre is amazing.
It's a Supergiant game in it's core, great characters and great world building.
I had a great time playing it and finding different tactics in ''basketball'' game so I do recommend you give it a try.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
Anyone here like Hades but didn't care for Transistor or Bastion? I loved the visuals and animations of Bastion and Transistor but just couldn't get on with the gameplay. I'm wondering if it's worth trying Hades or if Supergiant Games' games just aren't for me

OP
OP
PS9

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone here like Hades but didn't care for Transistor or Bastion? I loved the visuals and animations of Bastion and Transistor but just couldn't get on with the gameplay. I'm wondering if it's worth trying Hades or if Supergiant Games' games just aren't for me
I have Bastion and Transistor on my Switch and can't get into them. Meanwhile Hades is my GOTY.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Well deserved; it's a great game. Easily my favorite Supergiant game, and the only one I stuck with even after I "finished" it. Love the moment to moment gameplay and the supremely stylish take on Greek mythological figures.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017

This is me. I didn't like either and couldn't put more than two hours into them.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The game is super fast and the weapon variety is great.
The bosses promote slowing down and learning patterns before spamming them down in later runs when you're comfortable and that's great.
Really hope we see more at some point, whether it be dlc or a sequel.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

Ehhh yes but it also has *Pacts* after the first finishing run like giving enemies, mini bosses new abilities, deal more damage, decrease health pick up ect ect. There is ALOT and you have to add different/multiple Pacts once you have finished previous ones on each weapon increasing rewards for the risk, the game is only as easy as you want, and by no means is a *normal run* considered easy either even with previous obtained rewards.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Hades is basically Bastion's action gameplay on steroids imo. I didn't like Transistor's combat, but loved Bastion's, and this is the extremely advanced version of that.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
I have Bastion and Transistor on my Switch and can't get into them. Meanwhile Hades is my GOTY.

Because of the gameplay? I loved the presentation of the other two games but found them rather boring to actually play. They both got high metacritic scores as well so I'm wondering if I just don't get what everyone else sees in them.

OP
OP
PS9

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because of the gameplay? I loved the presentation of the other two games but found them rather boring to actually play. They both got high metacritic scores as well so I'm wondering if I just don't get what everyone else sees in them.
Yeah the gameplay is vastly improved over Bastion/Transistor. I'm only halfway through an escape so I won't elaborate in case things change but watch a few reviews and see if it's up your alley.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I really love it, bought it on PC as soon as it was out of early access and i'm already 25 hours in...

my only complaint is that there's not enough bosses, they're always the same with slight variations, and i can't help to compare it with games like binding of isaac and so on where there's a ton of them

It's not that big of a deal cause there's ton of replayability, and even after 35 attempts there's still new dialogues all around, it's amazing

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
Hades is basically Bastion's action gameplay on steroids imo. I didn't like Transistor's combat, but loved Bastion's, and this is the extremely advanced version of that.

That sounds cool!
Yeah the gameplay is vastly improved over Bastion/Transistor. I'm only halfway through an escape so I won't elaborate in case things change but watch a few reviews and see if it's up your alley.

Sounds cool, will do

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
Supergiant is probably my favorite indie studio; yet, for the first time, I was not hyped for a game coming from there. I really don't like rogue-like games.

Looking at these impressions, I have to rethink my bias.

I will wait, because, currently I have other games I want to play before PS5. It would be nice that they release it for the new consoles, though.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Well deserved.

Great gameplay loop, story and characters.
Deep systems, skill customization, every run feels different and the game is constantly rewarding you.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I really love it, bought it on PC as soon as it was out of early access and i'm already 25 hours in...

my only complaint is that there's not enough bosses, they're always the same with slight variations, and i can't help to compare it with games like binding of isaac and so on where there's a ton of them

It's not that big of a deal cause there's ton of replayability, and even after 35 attempts there's still new dialogues all around, it's amazing
To be entirely fair, hasn't Binding of Isaac been updated for years and years?

I'm sure this is gonna have way more bosses in a couple of years.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
To be entirely fair, hasn't Binding of Isaac been updated for years and years?

I'm sure this is gonna have way more bosses in a couple of years.

even the first binding of isaac had more bosses though, but for hades they're more or less always the same for story reasons so it would be harder to include completely new bosses

again it's a minor complain, they do the rest so well that it doesn't bother me that much

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Yea this why can't we just praise an awesome game instead of bickering over platforms lol.
In this case because its early access phase was a critical part of its development, and last I checked this forum was kind of focused on the games industry beyond just "dis gaem gud y'all".

SuperGiant did something relatively risky with Hades. They did an early access game through Epic, probably to bank Epic money to cover them through the extended development process, then had significant community interaction from the very first iteration to tune the game in. Then about a year after releasing on Epic Game Store it came to Steam and they spent another ~6-7 months polishing it with increased community feedback.

As a day one backer I can say that the game at "final release" is not the same game I was playing in late 2018. Entire systems function differently, it wasn't just expansion of the levels and narrative. So when people comment on how polished it feels or how tightly all the gameplay mechanics work together thats something people in early know developed over time.

Hades more than any other game is a product of this current time in game development. EGS v. Steam, Early Access, the large indie/handheld friendly appetite on Switch. These are all part of a game development and release process that speaks more to what making a game now is like than any other project I can think of. Not only is it a great game from a great studio, it also gives us a facet into so many of the driving forces in the industry.

Writing that history off as "launching" now because its on Switch like its an indie game with a few thousand sold that suddenly broke out to a hundred thousand sold on Switch isn't in line with the philosophical discourse we're supposed to be aiming for on this forum.

NoClip has done a multi-part documentary on the development of Hades, for those interested. I'm really hoping someone does a interview with the SG team that goes a bit more comprehensively into what their past was like leading into this and what the next few months end up being like.

My suspicion is that Pyre under-performed for them relative to the trend line of Bastion and Transistor, which at least in some part contributed to the EGS deal, as to me Pyre was one of the first clear examples of digital marketplace crowding where even established smaller studios were getting overran by big AAA releases and their marketing deals with platform holders, Sony being the most egregious example of this after propping up indies on the digital storefront early in the generation, including specifically with Transistor. If so this game tells even more stories about how the industry has changed in the last ~7 years.

Hades might be the game of the year as a play experience but it might also be the game of the generation when we ask "what were the industry forces acting for/against developers during the 201x's?"

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
So, I've never played these procedurally generated games.

How is the story supposed to play out? Is there an actual narrative or just kind of character figureheads that pop out occasionally to talk? How does the story happen if the environments are procedurally generated?

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
So, I've never played these procedurally generated games.

How is the story supposed to play out? Is there an actual narrative or just kind of character figureheads that pop out occasionally to talk? How does the story happen if the environments are procedurally generated?
Each run consists of 4 biomes you always hit in the same order, however which rooms you see as you travel through the biomes and which upgrades you get change on each run, though you gain the means to manipulate the latter a bit as you progress from run tor un.

Before each run you are in the house of Hades, and there are various characters you can interact with and talk to, who'll shed back story and comment on the events of previous runs. They'll talk about enemies you fought, characters you met, and so on. You'll also meet characters as you explore the biomes, and can have conversations with them. You can build relationships with each character by giving them nectar you find in your runs, opening up more dialogue giving you more insight into the world, characters and story. For some characters, reaching high levels of trust or achieving certain things during your runs will open up side quests. For example, reuniting a pair of characters, which gives its own rewards for future runs.

There's also the main plot thread that develops as you progress further into the game, which then also feeds back into dialogue with other characters, triggers flashbacks etc etc. Typically the story happens between runs at the house of Hades, additional side story stuff during runs with characters you meet on the way, and at the ends of runs too.