• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
So it's an artbook? How big is it?

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
How big is Hades right now? In order for me to touch a Switch game it both has to be a physical game AND the whole game has to be on the catridge so I'm trying to get a sense if this is going to include everything or if it's another game I get to skip thanks to the developer/publisher being cheap on the release and requiring to partial download the rest of the game that's not on cartridge.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How big is Hades right now? In order for me to touch a Switch game it both has to be a physical game AND the whole game has to be on the catridge so I'm trying to get a sense if this is going to include everything or if it's another game I get to skip thanks to the developer/publisher being cheap on the release and requiring to partial download the rest of the game that's not on cartridge.
i'm 99.99% sure everything will be on the cart, you don't have to worry about that. the game is 5.8GB, which means it'll easily fit on a 8GB cart. and they're not adding any dlc or expansion to the game later, so there's no worry about a complete edition or anything like that coming later either.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
i'm 99.99% sure everything will be on the cart, you don't have to worry about that. the game is 5.8GB, which means it'll easily fit on a 8GB cart. and they're not adding any dlc or expansion to the game later, so there's no worry about a complete edition or anything like that coming later either.
That's good to hear after how they did us dirty with the physical Spyro Trilogy on Switch I have to be very diligent in regards to looking forward to Switch games now.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
"Other platforms", both being PC.

Still, it's my understanding that Supergiant want to port this to all viable platforms eventually but could only port it to one console at a time (and it made sense to go with Switch first). So I've been holding out for a PS4/PS5 port. But third party titles published by Nintendo often seem to have some kind of deal attached to them (see Bravely Default, Octopath etc)?
Hades never had any kind of "first on Switch" deal in any of the Nintendo announcement so I doubt it. The game was finished under covid WFH situations and SGG is a small team.

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
Waiting for the (hopefully inevitable) physical PS4/5 release. Already played the game on switch, really want it with trophies now lol.

Glad that they seem to be getting big enough to do non-limited run physical releases! Though I do wish they would have done a Pyre physical release at some point...

spiel

Oct 28, 2017
Oh wow I want that booklet. I don't know about double dipping though, I've played the hell out of the game on PC already.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
So sounds like it might be going exclusive? They should clarify, I'd dust off the switch if I've no other option.

Jan 11, 2018
Hades never had any kind of "first on Switch" deal in any of the Nintendo announcement so I doubt it. The game was finished under covid WFH situations and SGG is a small team.

Yeah, I know that. I wasn't implying there was a deal with Nintendo for getting it on Switch first. Based on previous statements from Supergiant it seemed like they only had the resources to work on porting it to one system at a time and simply thought Switch would be the most profitable (and probably also in a small way to make up for the fact that they never ported Pyre to said platform). But I'm thinking specifically about the physical release, which is published by Nintendo. And third party games published by NIntendo tend to remain Nintendo exclusive, or also come to PC at best. Just hoping that is not the case here. Or that it prevents other physical releases if/when it does get ported to more consoles.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I know that. I wasn't implying there was a deal with Nintendo for getting it on Switch first. Based on previous statements from Supergiant it seemed like they only had the resources to work on porting it to one system at a time and simply thought Switch would be the most profitable (and probably also in a small way to make up for the fact that they never ported Pyre to said platform). But I'm thinking specifically about the physical release, which is published by Nintendo. And third party games published by NIntendo tend to remain Nintendo exclusive, or also come to PC at best. Just hoping that is not the case here. Or that it prevents other physical releases if/when it does get ported to more consoles.
This doesnt make a lot of sense imo, i doubt SG would agree to a physical copy if they felt this would delay some PS/Xbox version that is ready to launch. The game has been selling amazing and Nintendo probably offered them a great deal for a physical release. Down the line PS/Xbox version wont make the game any worse on Switch or impact this physical release.

Though the game might be console exclusive on Switch for a while longer...i dont think it has alot to do with this physical release, time will tell. I can see why SG would want to laylow for a bit after a stressful 2020. If they have DLC plans for Hades or plan something like a 2.0 release with new features they could use it to launch the game on other plattforms in the future.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't see how this physical release would stop a release on other platforms. my guess is ps/xb versions will be announced soon. if there's a physical release for those versions, someone else can handle it.

If they have DLC plans for Hades or plan something like a 2.0 release with new features they could use it to launch the game on other plattforms in the future.
i think they've specifically said that development is done and there won't be any dlc/content updates.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
i think they've specifically said that development is done and there won't be any dlc/content updates.
Yeah i remember that as well but i think they might still have some surprises left for Hades when it comes to other plattforms - it would just make sense from a marketing point of view. But time will tell...as of now they are VERY happy with the performance on Steam, EGS and Switch. This physical release is another mayor milestone, they probably didnt expect initially....

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i remember that as well but i think they might still have some surprises left for Hades when it comes to other plattforms - it would just make sense from a marketing point of view. But time will tell...as of now they are VERY happy with the performance on Steam, EGS and Switch. This physical release is another mayor milestone, they probably didnt expect initially....
they for sure didn't expect the way the game blew up on steam and switch, and then getting goty awards from so many major publications. the game has been a very well-deserved success story for a really consistently awesome indie dev.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, Nintendo themselves are handling publishing duties? That's cool as hell. Hades is legitimately one of the best games on the platform and Nintendo's support of it has been great.
Nintendo is publishing it, guaranteeing the full game will be on the cart.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I knew it would get a physical, but....a Nintendo-backed one? Surprising.

I'll grab it down the line. Gotta have it in my collection.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
How's the performance of the Switch version?

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to a physical copy. I hope Supergiant puts out a big artbook of all their games someday, but in the meantime I will happily take a tiny Hades artbook, I'm desperate, lol.

How's the performance of the Switch version?

That had been my big fear about buying it on Switch, but it's actually really good, I don't regret my purchase at all. There are only two enemy types in a specific situation that cause noticeable lag, and it doesn't really effect the gameplay itself. Obviously, the PC version is the best way to play it, but if that's not an option, the Switch version is still a great. My copy of Hades is also directly installed on the Switch's internal memory and not my SD card, which apparently seems to help a little as well with performance.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Really looking forward to a physical copy. I hope Supergiant puts out a big artbook of all their games someday, but in the meantime I will happily take a tiny Hades artbook, I'm desperate, lol.

That had been my big fear about buying it on Switch, but it's actually really good, I don't regret my purchase at all. There are only two enemy types in a specific situation that cause noticeable lag, and it doesn't really effect the gameplay itself. Obviously, the PC version is the best way to play it, but if that's not an option, the Switch version is still a great. My copy of Hades is also directly installed on the Switch's internal memory and not my SD card, which apparently seems to help a little as well with performance.
Locked 60fps 99.9% of the time. It's one of the best ports on the system.
Much appreciated!

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
damn

screenshot2021-02-20av1jxm.png

Aug 15, 2020
Nintendo always handles the distribution for a select few third parties games every year including Super Lucky's Tale, SNK Heroines, Deadly Premonition 2, etc. I guess this year it'll be No More Heroes III (outside of Japan) and Hades. Can't say I'm surprised, but it's a pleasant announcement.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
My game is delayed because the shop didn't received copies for all the preorders :( Why Nintendo, why.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I was afraid the case was going to be bigger like the Witcher 3.

I'm surely getting this when I get the chance.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
The game was sold out everywhere here even before it came out. Fantastic job :)

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
i don't see how this physical release would stop a release on other platforms. my guess is ps/xb versions will be announced soon. if there's a physical release for those versions, someone else can handle it.

Like you said, I doubt this will stop it being ported to other systems (if anything, I would say what would stop it is because they just don't have the capacity, as for example Pyre is still only PS4/PC), but it could mean a closer relationship with Nintendo overall. I could very easily see Supergiant co-developing a Switch exclusive for their next game with Nintendo.