• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is the game for this weekend?

• Hades

Votes: 326 43.0%
  • Disco Elysium

Votes: 244 32.2%
  • Obra Dinn

Votes: 118 15.6%
  • What's Discol? You should get Disco Elysium

Votes: 70 9.2%

• Total voters

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
They're all best in class games, so it's kind of hard to say without knowing what kinda games you tend to prefer. Hades is certainly the easiest to dive into and is much more 'game-y' than Disco or Obra Din. Disco is a great sit back and relax game, but you gotta keep in mind that 90% of that game is just reading text(it's good fucking text though).

SunPie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I picked Obra Dinn but may do Disco as well. Generally not a fan of rogue likes so skeptical I'd enjoy Hades

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
All 3 are some of the best games ever made, but I'll have to give my vote to Obra Dinn. A truly special game in every way

oldzac

Jan 22, 2020
Disco Elysium ran perfectly on my 2019 Macbook Pro, although it crashed twice. Just make sure to save regularly and you'll be good. That's my pick but you can't go wrong with any of them.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I voted Obra Dinn because it's incredibly easy to get into and get lost in playing it for hours.

Disco is more overwhelming.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Disco is the best game, but Hades is the most fun. They're my GotY's from this year and last.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Im pretty sure Greg Kasavin of Supergiant on twitter said, within the past couple weeks, that Hades isn't getting ported anywhere else

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Disco Elysium is great but of the three, it's the one I didn't finish. The bleakness/unpleasantness got to me eventually.

I think the ending is relatively optimistic. At the very least the character resolutions. The world has issues both manmade and intrinsic, but the juxtaposition sells the utter joy and wonder of the climax.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It looks like it'll be Hades that you play, but definitely don't let the other two fall by the wayside for very long.

Disco Elysium and especially Return of the Obra Dinn are two of the best games ever made.

Outer Wilds should be listed alongside these three btw.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Disco Elysium is my favorite game of the last few years, including anything this year.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Outer Wilds should be listed alongside these three btw.

This. I played Disco and Wilds one after the other and it was a treat to experience so much experimentation with narrative back to back.

Disco Elysium is my favorite game of the last few years, including anything this year.

I'm going to throw out 13 Sentinels if you haven't played it. Despite the anime aesthetic, if you liked the worldbuilding and characterization of Revachol and its world, then I think you'll find a lot to enjoy with 13 Sentinels, too. It takes a bit of time for things to open up, but when it does it's an absolute treat.

For a while games wanted to reach the storytelling quality of premium television. I remember alone in the dark on Wii being marketed with that in mind. This is the first time I feel like that vision has been achieved. I think Buffy may be an apt comparison, too. You could describe Buffy as a show about a vampire hunter, but really that's window dressing for the emotional subtext.

Last edited:

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hades will win this poll, but it's just the hot new thing and recency bias is poison.

Disco Elysium is the second best game of 2019 (after Outer Wilds) and one of the best games ever made.

Obra Dinn is coincidentally the second best game of 2018 (after Into the Breach) and is a really phenomenal detective game.

If you want an action game, get Hades. If you want to enjoy some of the best writing to ever grace the medium, get Disco. If you want to use your brain in a way games almost never explore, get Obra Dinn.
I'm sure if someone made this thread and Disco Elysium has just come out I've got a strong feeling you wouldn't be saying it was recency bias's. Hades is just a really good game.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Hades is GOTY 2020
Disco Elysium is GOTY 2019
Obra Dinn is GOTY 2018

You will be well served by any of them.

OP
OP
whatsarobot

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
Hades is GOTY 2020
Disco Elysium is GOTY 2019
Obra Dinn is GOTY 2018

You will be well served by any of them.
This seems to be a fairly agreed upon consensus!

But the winner is: HADES.

Thanks to everyone who spoke into it. My impressions so far are the game is incredible. Three hours just flew by. The worldbuilding is great but so far the gameplay still hasn't totally hooked me. Combo's seem simplistic with a lot of dodging, but I've only done two runs so far. First time beat the first boss and made it to the second, but just sliding aroujdn shooting arrows.

That said, it's Supergiant, and I know there's a lot more coming up soon.

Question for any Hades fans on MAC: To get 4k I used the launch code /AttemptHighDPI=true which made the option appear (before that only 1050). But now the animated parts (death animations, doors breaking open, etc) still seem to be encoded at 720p and it makes them big and blurry and distracting. Anyone got a solution?

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
I'm going to throw out 13 Sentinels if you haven't played it. Despite the anime aesthetic, if you liked the worldbuilding and characterization of Revachol and its world, then I think you'll find a lot to enjoy with 13 Sentinels, too. It takes a bit of time for things to open up, but when it does it's an absolute treat.
I'm actually in the prologue for it atm.

I sorta got addicted to Genshin Impact shortly after starting it. Will go back after my red hot burn to grind loot goes away.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Hades is truly fantastic but the answer is Disco Elysium.

Or do all three. All three are great. I finished Obra Dinn in a single day because it was enthralling.

Oct 31, 2017
Hades for me. Just finished the first boss only and I see myself sinking my time with this game! I like the various playstyles and each run will be unique!

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
I've played all three, and Disco Elysium wins for me by a longshot. It's one of the best games to come out in the past decade.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I love Hades and it's a great combination of Supergiant storytelling, visual presentation and roguelite gameplay. That said, I would recommend to go with Disco Elysium. It is one of the best written games with a wide cast of interesting characters, dialogue ranging from extremely hilarious to profoundly insightful and humanistic. And it all ties together beautifully in the end.

I see now that you've already made your choice. Have fun but definitely keep Disco on your waiting list!

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Haven't played the other two but Obra Dinn is incredible (one of my 10/10 for the gen) and runs well enough on Macs!! I had no problems playing it myself on my Mac, which is woefully underpowered

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All great but:

Obra Dinn is on its biggest sale yet, and also is the shortest game. So get it, enjoy the greatness, and then buy the other two.

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
Hades is phenomenal. Fantastic music and the story is longer than expected. Also, combat system is probably the best out of all SuperGiant games.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Hades is probably GotY 2020, takes potentially a very long time to beat (I haven't yet after 15+ hours).
Obra Dinn was PC GotY 2018, can be beaten in a couple of evenings and is a very unique game.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
PC Gaming ERA's GOTY 2018 vs PC Gaming ERA's GOTY 2019 vs what's going to be in contention for PC Gaming ERA's GOTY 2020? Can't lose really.

You already went with Hades which is a great choice, though I'd have probably recommended Disco Elysium or Obra Dinn, just because those are 'complete' games, whereas Hades is likely getting updates in 2021. But hey you can always return to it then, it's a minor difference really given that Hades hit 1.0 recently anyway.

Nov 21, 2017
Go to the Epic Games Store, make an account if you don't have one, add Rocket League to your account (it's free to play now), you'll get a coupon for 10€ off (I guess the equivalent in other currencies as well), go get Hades for basically half price.

ExReey

Oct 27, 2017
Hades will win this poll, but it's just the hot new thing and recency bias is poison.

Disco Elysium is the second best game of 2019 (after Outer Wilds) and one of the best games ever made.

Obra Dinn is coincidentally the second best game of 2018 (after Into the Breach) and is a really phenomenal detective game.

If you want an action game, get Hades. If you want to enjoy some of the best writing to ever grace the medium, get Disco. If you want to use your brain in a way games almost never explore, get Obra Dinn.

Couldn't say it any better.

So you should buy Outer Wilds first.