• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah for anyone that doesn't know already, this is good information to have: Advil IS ibuprofen.Tylenol IS acetaminophen, which itself is the same thing as paracetamol. When you buy any over the counter the drug, what you should be looking at is the ingredient. That's what you're buying. If the name of the thing you're buying is different from the name of the main ingredient, you might be paying extra for a brand name

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In my nursing school we seem to be encouraged to use the brand names over the generics usually. I guess it might be because it's more familiar to the patients I guess, but it still seems weird to me. I'd rather just use the generics

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
brand names are popular everywhere. here i bet more people know the names ben-u-ron and brufen than paracetamol and iboprufen.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

Wait till you hear about what they call paper tissues.
im gonna need a Band-Aid

or as they are called in the UK, a medical plaster

Oct 28, 2017
For the UK folks I assume you've come across people talking about Panadol and Nurofen in a generic kinda way? At least I have.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
would you like an Oreo

or as they are called in the UK, a sandwich biscuit

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brand names are popular everywhere. here i bet more people know the names ben-u-ron and brufen than paracetamol and iboprufen.
No doubt.

But i've never heard any different, until this thread.
im gonna need a Band-Aid

or as they are called in the UK, a medical plaster
They're called just plasters, over here.
For the UK folks I assume you've come across people talking about Panadol and Nurofen in a generic kinda way? At least I have.
Same. They get used interchangeably.
Aluminium all over again
2858.jpg

would you like an Oreo

or as they are called in the UK, a sandwich biscuit
dbvVwJ4.gif

americans call them q-tips, i never knew
906.jpg

T3's, Tylenol 3, or Tylenol with Codene are the common names
Gotcha.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Tylenol is just a brand name. You can also get generic acetaminophen in any drug store in the US.

I wouldn't be surprised if most in the US/Canada don't know what paracetamol is. Because the US/Canada doesn't really use paracetamol as the generic name, they use acetaminophen as the generic name.

Anyways It's good info for people traveling anywhere in the world to know Acetaminophen = Paracetamol, they are the same drug.

n-ACETyl-para-AMINOPHENol
n-aCETyl-PARA-AMinophenOL

n-aceTYL-para-aminophENOL

Last edited:

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm from the UK and I did know this, but only recently out of necessity for when we took the kids to Florida last year in case we needed anything.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
That is a big old box of paracetamol. Fun fact: you can't buy paracetamol off the shelves in the UK in quantities anywhere near those in that picture - I think the maximum pack size is 16 in a box here. Not sure if it's different in other countries.

The idea is to discourage people impulsively buying a bulk load of paracetamol and overdosing on it.

Jun 20, 2019
That is a big old box of paracetamol. Fun fact: you can't buy paracetamol off the shelves in the UK in quantities anywhere near those in that picture - I think the maximum pack size is 16 in a box here. Not sure if it's different in other countries.

The idea is to discourage people impulsively buying a bulk load of paracetamol and overdosing on it.
You can buy 250 count bottles in any drugstore in America. An adult dose is two pills.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Paracetamol is acetaminophen in America, aka Tylenol.

Ibuprofen is both Advil and Motrin over here.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here

is 375 capsules too much

Kirkland-Signature-Acetaminophen-PM.png

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
If you're not buying the generic versions you're being ripped off. Sainsbury's paracetamol ÂŁ0.70 ($0.86)

300x300.jpg

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017

Used to be 45p for a ton, when they changed it to 16 per pack the price stayed the same.... insane markup overnight.

But worse is that the 16 packs don't stop people that need more, I've picked up the two pack limit at Tesco, gone back picked up to more, gone back...etc... all to the same cashier, and they didn't give a damn. So it takes maybe 5 minutes to get a lethal dose vs 30 seconds.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
But worse is that the 16 packs don't stop people that need more, I've picked up the two pack limit at Tesco, gone back picked up to more, gone back...etc... all to the same cashier, and they didn't give a damn. So it takes maybe 5 minutes to get a lethal dose vs 30 seconds.
Sure, it's not perfect, but it'll discourage some people so that's a good thing.

Jun 20, 2019
Pseudoephedrine is called Sudafed in the US. Gets confusing because pseudoephedrine had to be placed behind the counter to stymie meth production so the company that owns the Sudafed brand had to put out another product with phenyl ephedrine and called it Sudafed PE.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
One is something you can buy on the shelf the other is something you ask for over the counter if you need a higher strength without a doctors note.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know this for sure but I kinda guessed. The US really loves using brand names for things.

The only real comparable thing in the U.K. I can think of is people calling vacuums Hoovers.

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
One is something you can buy on the shelf the other is something you ask for over the counter if you need a higher strength without a doctors note.
if you need a higher strength just take more, are you talking about ibuprofen 800mg tablets vs standard 200mg or something? I've never seen acetaminophen in a bigger amount than 500mg

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I think I refer to ibuprofen as ibuprofen but acetaminophen as "Tylenol".

Acetaminophen just doesn't roll off the tongue very well. Ibuprofen is easier to say.

Same.

However, since I am allergic to ibuprofen, I don't trust people to know the difference between the actual drugs, and buy my own painkillers.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
if you need a higher strength just take more, are you talking about ibuprofen 800mg tablets or something? I've never seen acetaminophen in a bigger amount than 500mg

Referring to acetaminophen

The over the counter one was the only thing that would stop my abscessed tooth pain before I had to get it removed. Cost less as well

mddover

Jan 9, 2019
I feel like the situation here is quite a bit different from something like Band-aids where I think most Americans would be hard pressed on what to call them that isn't the brand name. With Advil and Tylenol, I think it might actually be more common in the US to refer to them by their generic names, although maybe there's regional variation at play. In my case, I *only* ever call them ibuprofen and acetaminophen - in fact, while I know that Advil and Tylenol are brands, I can never remember which is which and would need to check labels.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I am allergic to most over the counter medicines, so I ALWAYS call them by their actual names.

I have not once had anyone truly confused by this.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
...those are just brand names. I'd wager the majority of Americans know ibuprofen especially and paracetamol. Like with anything else lots of us are stupid, but that's not something everyone here is unaware of.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
With Advil and Tylenol, I think it might actually be more common in the US to refer to them by their generic names, although maybe there's regional variation at play.
I've only seen a trend towards the generic names with medical workers. If someone on the street is hurting they're gonna ask for the brand they like, and there's a high likelihood they won't know the generic name of it.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Is paracetamol a brand name for acetaminophen? Because that's hilarious.

NVM, seems like another generic name. Let's trade: we'll take the metric system and you guys take acetaminophen.