• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what the hell happened. I've had Nioh 2 PS4 disc installed on my PS5, when the free upgrade was available I downloaded it, it replaced the PS4 version to Remastered PS5 version, next day I want to play, it changed it back to the normal PS4 version. Uuhhhhhh what?

I even got trophies popped up for PS5 version since I downloaded my PS4 save file. Anyone else had the same weird issue? What happened here?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 had this issue with some games for a bit, it would continuously install the PS4 version of games even after upgrading. It was supposedly patched out pretty recently though. Guess not

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
When you click options on the app, check for "versions". The PS5 version should pop up.

OP
OP
DFG

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 had this issue with some games for a bit, it would continuously install the PS4 version of games even after upgrading. It was supposedly patched out pretty recently though. Guess not
Hmm. Yeah I'm on latest patch and firmware. I don't understand why it does that lol

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Weird, the last PS5 system update from 3rd Feb specifically states:

Version 20.02-02.50.00
  • In rare cases, the PS4 version of a game would install from the disc after you upgraded to and installed the PS5 version. Now, when you insert the PS4 game disc, the PS4 version won't install unexpectedly.
Are your console and game up to date?

EDIT: Well it seems annoying but there is a menu option to pick a version at least

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Also happened to me, I just deleted the new install. Have no idea if it will come back again.

OP
OP
DFG

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you click options on the app, check for "versions". The PS5 version should pop up.
Whoa. You're right, pressing the "option" menu has a button called "game version". Clicking it gives me the option on both PS4 & PS5 versions lol what. This is so weird 🤣

OP
OP
DFG

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For every game that has a PS5 version, it'll be there (Destiny, Nioh 2, Watch DOgs Legion, etc)
Thanks. Not sure how I missed this info? Does that mean it's taking double the space? As in both PS4 version and PS5 version are installed seperately? If so that'll help with future SSD clearing for space.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa. You're right, pressing the "option" menu has a button called "game version". Clicking it gives me the option on both PS4 & PS5 versions lol what. This is so weird 🤣
Yeah, this has been a known issue since the PS5 launch. I'm sure a lot of people are stilling playing PS4 versions of games on their PS5 without even realizing it.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
It happened to me with Spiderman and Sackboy, guess it hasn't been addressed since launch. Glad that's all it is though and not some weird bug you were dealing with!

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Not sure how I missed this info? Does that mean it's taking double the space? As in both PS4 version and PS5 version are installed seperately? If so that'll help with future SSD clearing for space.
It's not a very smart setup, there are too many ways users can get screwed (play the wrong version, have both versions installed without knowing) without even realizing it.

On one hand, it's brought up as such a constant issue that I'd hope Sony is working hard to make it more seamless. On the other hand, by its very nature of PS4 games eventually tapering off in the next couple years, it's also a problem that will eventually solve itself.

OP
OP
DFG

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It happened to me with Spiderman and Sackboy, guess it hasn't been addressed since launch. Glad that's all it is though and not some weird bug you were dealing with though!
I had issues with Miles Spiderman close to launch but this was something I didn't realise, and I lurk here enough to read up on how PS5 is. Imagine how easy it is for most people to miss

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
I had issues with Miles Spiderman close to launch but this was something I didn't realise, and I lurk here enough to read up on how PS5 is. Imagine how easy it is for most people to miss
Yeah, I imagine a ton of people are playing with PS4 versions of some of their games without even realizing it. It'll just be something to look out for with future titles, at least until they patch it.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this has been a known issue since the PS5 launch. I'm sure a lot of people are stilling playing PS4 versions of games on their PS5 without even realizing it.
Sony REALLY has to figure a way out to surface the different versions of stuff better. Its really absurd.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Definitely are! There was someone in the Nioh 2 OT questioning why they only had two graphics options and they didn't map to the conversation everyone else was having about three modes.

They were playing the PS4 version on their PS5 without knowing.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Happened to me just recently with Atelier Ryza 2. Bought and downloaded the PS5 version via the app and when I launched the game I thought the loading time was quite long. Double checked in the PS5 OS and it said PS4 version. Fucking hell!
Downloaded the PS5 version directly from the PS5 library and the loading times were significantly shorter.
This is not some dumb user mistake. This is definitely an issue on the back end.