• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
So I somehow developed this petrifying fear of death. Not like going outside and suddenly getting hit by a car and dying, or getting sick, I mean literally what happens after death, that thing itself, maybe not so much afterlife but just I guess fear of the void?

I don't know what number to call to actually get to somebody or set up an appointment somewhere(no insurance though) when my problem is the complete opposite of suicide.

I googled and its called death anxiety. Thing is I'm not sick(medically speaking like a terminal disease), I'm not 'surrounded' by death like sick family members or in the army. I've tried talking to myself that my death isn't going to come until I'm an old man(Im only 27) but it only slightly helped.

I want to say this started about a month ago, and it was really bad the first week. Since then there would be small moments where I would get kinda anxious, a little scared but not much. Then last night at like 3-4am I just started having such bad anxiety and fear that I think I had my first panic attack. I don't know how I slept but waking up I felt fine for a teeny bit before the anxiety came back, its not as bad as yesterday but I'm back to seeking help actively. It's just this has gotten so bad so quickly but I haven't been diagnosed with anything as I've no money for a doctor and most aren't seeing patients cause of the lockdown. I was suggested to call the suicide hotline even though Im far from suicidal, they are trained to help general mental health as well, so I did. I called the suicide hotline because my states crisis hotline is either down or only available via text messages and I really wanted a phone person to talk with. I heard about them having a time limit and I hit it twice, about 25 minutes a piece. I was secretly hoping to get a girl operator and it worked, I just feel more comfortable divulging my feelings to women, and I got women both time.

Before I could even talk, I started crying, I felt the urge to do it since my trauma started a month and a half ago, but I only cried maybe once or twice since then. But then someone answered and I could barely talk, I was about to reveal a lot of stuff about my current situation that no one else knew. Overall I would say the 2 phone calls helped as I wanted to talk to another human being about this. I joined the anxiety discord so now I'm there as well, you can find me under Smash-it stan. I had to alter my story a bit to explain where the trauma came from because I didn't want to alienate the teller too bad. I told them I saw a 'war movie thats meant to be anti-war with how heavy it was' which is TECHNICALLY true, my trauma started after watching the devilman crybaby anime remake*. I hate writing that as I want absolutely no one, NO ONE to watch that especially if they have any mental health issues. Animes not that good and it's probably the most nihilistic, fatalistic, piece of media i've ever watched and I truly wish it did not exist.

I made this exact thread on /r/anxiety and got 2 responses from people with similar phobias of death, I messaged them and I hope for the best.

* - Yes. I watched this show and something about it awakened in me. The last 2 episodes honestly blindsided me with a certain character dying, who that character is, and what they did after
I believe her name was Miki, how they killed her and then put her head on a pike, and then the main character failing to save the world, and god not saving anyone
. Seeing that absolutely fucking horrified me, I grew up on fucking 4chan and that beat empathy into me, I used to be a fucking idiot 12 years ago now I worry about every little thing that I cant control, I believe people are good, are implicitly good. I get that the show is supposed to be anti-war, but christ the overall show just went out of its way for bad, stupid shit to happen, and im really mad at myself for this to effect me the way it does. I was fine for like a month, sorta, it would come and ago where I would feel deflated and sad about what happened, how something like that could be.

Then suddenly last night at 4am, the anxiety hit me REALLY fucking hard, nothing really triggered it, the thought entered my head and it just didn't really go away. I slept somehow after popping 2 xanax(prescribed to my mom, 0.25mg, so 2 would be .50mg, I would take 2 a week or so, for the tiny feeling of comfort it sorta gave, could've been placebo), I really blame those pills. The pills didn't help, i just laid there, somehow did fall asleep. I wake up, fine for 5 minutes, then the feelings came back. Cue the top couple paragraphs, and Ive told my story to a few folks on discord and they tell me it will pass, but none of them have seen the show, but we did talk about why nihlistic media like devilman, game of thrones, black mirror etc. are bad. Well maybe not bad but I LOATHE those shows. I'm now a full believer of wanting more moe and idol and princess anime shows to exist, because devilman crybaby gave me ptsd...god i feel stupid for writing that.

Sorry for rambling, I just really wanted to vent, I came home from a walk in the evening, napped, woke up felt fine for 10 minutes but the feeling in my chest wouldn't go away. I don't think I cried this hard since my gf broke up with my years ago. My moms sick but we have a tumultuous relationship so it hasn't effected me much, until today where I DO NOT want my parents or even my grandparent to go, because that fear of the void. I hope to god these pills, that im taking 1-2 a WEEK basically, thats not prescribed to me, is the reason for me to thinking and feeling like this. I threw them out, my mom wasnt taking them so she wouldn't notice. I have posted something before in the mental health thread, but thats more of a vent thread, no offense to anyone who uses it and has it help them. I'll be on discord all night if anyone wants to talk to me, i tried the texting thing for my local state that I need a voice.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017
Sadly, this happens to me as well and I don't take any medication.

I do have anxiety and I guess from that I got what you call ''death anxiety''. It sucks when it happens because it practically happens out of nowhere for me.

I could be watching a funny youtube video then all of a sudden my mind will remind me of it. Ugh.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Sadly, this happens to me as well and I don't take any medication.

I do have anxiety and I guess from that I got what you call ''death anxiety''. It sucks when it happens because it practically happens out of nowhere for me.

I could be watching a funny youtube video then all of a sudden my mind will remind me of it. Ugh.

Yeah I do this too, but I am on medicine. Dwelling on it, and even though you try to think about something else your brain goes back to it.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Seconding the above, even though you have already realized this: don't take medicine that isn't prescribed to you. I know it's hard right now since you can't get your own doctor. :(

I have the same anxiety. The only thing that helps is to keep myself so busy and occupied that I don't remember to think about it. Even in writing this response, I'm not letting myself focus on the actual thing, but instead what I do instead.

Don't feel stupid for having it triggered by a show. Around the first time I started feeling like this, I watched Inglorious Bastards and started having a panic attack at some point because of all the death in the movie. I also generally don't like darker and grittier media, so I feel you. Nothing wrong with letting yourself consume escapist works. May I recommend Cardcaptor Sakura or Parks and Rec? Just really fun, feel good shows.

Dec 23, 2017
Yeah I do this too, but I am on medicine. Dwelling on it, and even though you try to think about something else your brain goes back to it.

Yeah, sadly my anxiety came from school at an early age and I'm convinced I have a small case of PTSD as well.

Seconding the above, even though you have already realized this: don't take medicine that isn't prescribed to you. I know it's hard right now since you can't get your own doctor. :(

I have the same anxiety. The only thing that helps is to keep myself so busy and occupied that I don't remember to think about it. Even in writing this response, I'm not letting myself focus on the actual thing, but instead what I do instead.

I do the same thing, tasks that take 100% of my attention. Usually I get that from video games, so in a way video games are my medicine.

King Fossil

Oct 26, 2017
So I somehow developed this petrifying fear of death. Not like going outside and suddenly getting hit by a car and dying, or getting sick, I mean literally what happens after death, that thing itself, maybe not so much afterlife but just I guess fear of the void?

I have the same fear but I try not to think about it. I am approaching 30 soon but once I get to my 60s, oof, my anxiety will surely be through the roof.

Dec 23, 2017
So I took some time to venture into that r/Anxiety sub-reddit and ran into a great post that practically describes my form of anxiety to the last detail.

"It forces me into perpetual thinking, crunching the numbers and problem-solving mode. Like my brain is trying to find the way out, the trigger, the way to solve the problem in a deep unconscious level, thinking from every angle, viewing it as a network and doing thought experiments to see if/how things would change if I were to modify/remove/increase factor X, etc... it's uncontrolled thinking. "

"In terms of other physical symptoms - I mainly shut down and withdraw, I'm unable to focus on reading, tv, etc... I still sit there and prefer to do repetitive but mindless tasks like putting a puzzle together, needlepoint, surfing the net, etc... All my effort is put towards abstract longitudinal thinking I cannot even control and it doesn't leave much room for executive functioning. "

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017
I have the same thing, which started with me thinking I was having a heart attack when it was nothing but harmless palpitations. It happened right after my father went to the hospital and had to have bypass surgery. It took me a couple years to get a grip on it through my own sort of meditation methods, and taking walks outside really helped.

Edit: As a side note, stay away from googling symptoms. It will only make it worse.

Dec 23, 2017
I have the same thing, which started with me thinking I was having a heart attack when it was nothing but harmless palpitations. It happened right after my father went to the hospital and had to have bypass surgery. It took me a couple years to get a grip on it through my own sort of meditation methods, and taking walks outside really helped.

Heart palpitations suck.

I've been to the doctor multiple times for it, and each time they said they were harmless heart palpitations due to anxiety. They put a heart monitor on me twice, and results came back fine.

Oct 27, 2017
Why take pills that werent prescribed?

Death is nothing. Literally. Death is like before birth, you wont know it as you wont exist anymore. There is not much to fear. I fear the death of my loved ones, for selfish reasons... But my own death? Couldnt give a fuck, as i wont be there anymore to feel anything anyway.

Find a therapist that you're comfortable with

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have had pretty severe death anxiety twice now. The short of it is, it CAN go away even if it doesn't feel like it. There's no problem to solve because it will happen to everyone, so I fell into a deep dark depression that put me out of commission from school for a month.

What helped me was doing something that grounded me in the present. I remember the thing that pulled me out of it was being at my friends' birthday party at a restaurant and everyone was just...happy. It was sublime, no one hada care in the world and we were all just laughing and having fun. It showed me even if life is limited, it's worth living for these moments.

In addition, I started taking up therapy which was helpful, beginning treatment with some SSRIs but it went away after a month so I stopped taking the medication.

If you wanna talk OP you can message me. I might not message back right away (probs minimum once a day lol) but I'll try to as much as I can because I've been there.

AND STOP TAKING THE XANAX. If it means anything, I'm a med student. Please don't take pills not prescribed to you.

OP
OP
Smash-It Stan

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Why take pills that werent prescribed?
I'm a dumb millennial, I wanted to see what the fuss was about, it didn't really do much, I dont know how much was placebo.
I have had pretty severe death anxiety twice now. The short of it is, it CAN go away even if it doesn't feel like it. There's no problem to solve because it will happen to everyone, so I fell into a deep dark depression that put me out of commission from school for a month.

In addition, I started taking up therapy which was helpful, beginning treatment with some SSRIs but it went away after a month so I stopped taking the medication.

AND STOP TAKING THE XANAX. If it means anything, I'm a med student. Please don't take pills not prescribed to you.
pills are in the trash. How much was therapy and what kind of pills did they give?

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017
I have anxiety too (plus OCD). Therapy helped (some places may work with you on payment if you don't have insurance). There are also many great books and resources out there on dealing with anxiety and are well worth the read if you can't get therapy. Working Out/Running helps me decrease stress and lift my mood. Make sure you're getting good sleep. I'm concerned that you're staying up till 3 or 4 in the morning and that isn't good for your mental health. You're up with no sunlight, alone, and too much time to think yourself into a bad place.

Meditation has also been great for me. It helps me take a step back from my thoughts and emotions.

The problem with anxiety is that the more we resist the uncomfortable feelings and the horrible uncertainty of the future the worse anxiety gets. So the only way past it is to to learn how to ACCEPT. If your hand trembles then let it tremble. If your chest feels weird then let it happen. If you're afraid of something then accept that it may happen. Focus on the the things you can control and let of the of things you can't.

Now, all of that is easier said than done but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hope you feel better OP and msg me if you ever wanna talk.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a dumb millennial, I wanted to see what the fuss was about, it didn't really do much, I dont know how much was placebo.

pills are in the trash. How much was therapy and what kind of pills did they give?

Therapy was free through my school, but I didn't have the best experience considering it was free therapy.
Therapist was separate from the psychiatrist who is a medical doctor who will assess whether you would benefit from pills or not. They're called SSRIs, specifically I was given Sertraline. They basically increase the amount of serotonin in your body to make you feel better and reduce anxiety. They take a month to test for side effects at low dose and start working after a month.

Again, I can't stress enough that really helped was being present in a happy moment. I know that's difficult in these COVID times.

OP
OP
Smash-It Stan

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
After talking and hanging out in the /anxiety discord for a bit I do feel a bit better, I'm gonna make some calls tomorrow if this strong feeling persists(my cure all was always sleeping, so waking up and then feeling like shit is really scary) to ask about therapy and possibly SSRI's. Thanks for the responses everyone, every response helps.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Last week there were a few days I felt... off. Like I hadn't taken my anxiety medicine but not as harsh. I always struggle to describe the feeling, but something like the most mild headache that's just sort of uncomfortable. Then that weekend I got a panicky feeling and my stomach started to hurt up to my chest. The thought of eating was repulsive and I was generally nervous. Was I having a bit of an anxiety attack? Felt like that for 3 days or so. Was wondering if the stomach ache was my brain pumping adrenalin.

Felt okay before it happened, and was actually being really productive. Some of the things involved me registering for school again which has always been a source of anxiety.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
After talking and hanging out in the /anxiety discord for a bit I do feel a bit better, I'm gonna make some calls tomorrow if this strong feeling persists(my cure all was always sleeping, so waking up and then feeling like shit is really scary) to ask about therapy and possibly SSRI's. Thanks for the responses everyone, every response helps.

Your mileage may very, but try binging your favorite comedy shows. That's worked for me before, making things more mild.

duxstar

Oct 26, 2017
Last week there were a few days I felt... off. Like I hadn't taken my anxiety medicine but not as harsh. I always struggle to describe the feeling, but something like the most mild headache that's just sort of uncomfortable. Then that weekend I got a panicky feeling and my stomach started to hurt up to my chest. The thought of eating was repulsive and I was generally nervous. Was I having a bit of an anxiety attack? Felt like that for 3 days or so. Was wondering if the stomach ache was my brain pumping adrenalin.

Felt okay before it happened, and was actually being really productive. Some of the things involved me registering for school again which has always been a source of anxiety.

The difference between an anxiety attack and feeling anxious is your body releasing adrenaline from your system and initiating the fight or flight response. You might have felt anxious for a few days which could have caused the stomach pain, and the anxiety. Sometimes when I get anxious I get gassy/ my stomach will hurt and I even have a tightening in my chest. These are all warning signs that I'm going to be anxious and likely to have an actual panic attack.

I actually have a similar story to what the OP was talking about, in that if my medication isn't working I always think about dying/death, and it scares the fuck out of me, to the point where I think I am going to die immediately and want to call 911 or drive as fast as i can to the local hospital, I think I am somehow going to "phase" out of existence or just pass out and die; a lot of my attention is on my heart because i eat like crap, and i sit around alot, and i'll hear stories about healthy people dying in their sleep and it freaks me the fuck out.

To the original OP ....... If you don't have medical insurance / a doctor, and you live in the states try getting ahold of your mental health services in your county/town; most places have a mental health facility / department to deal with people that don't have insurance and they should be able to work with you and get you on the right track with both a Therapist and a psychiatrist; just look up "____ County mental health" and give them a call. The medicine you are taking twice a week isn't going to help because its probably a prescribed medication that you need to take for up to 2 or 3 weeks to get in your bloodstream and start working, so taking that won't help you if your taking it inconsistently.

As for if you have another anxiety attack, try to calm yourself down and focus on your breathing, there's an app on your cell phone called the calm app, which has a breathing section, to help you breath and get your body regulated. Another trick that worked for me when i went into spiral mode is try to logically engage your brain in something like math, a common trick is to count down from a random number like 139 backwards by 7's; it engages your brain to get you out of the negative/anxiety induced thoughts your having.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
A question, OP. Are you lonely? Do you belong to a community (I mean outside the Internet of course)? At least do you have people you talk to and interact with everyday?

OP
OP
Smash-It Stan

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
A question, OP. Are you lonely? Do you belong to a community (I mean outside the Internet of course)? At least do you have people you talk to and interact with everyday?
Yes? No? Not since the lockdown Ive been a homebody for 2 months, I chat with my IRL friends almost daily and me and one friend go out to taco bell drive thru once a week. Plenty of internet discord talking with online friends.

No girlfriend.

King Fossil

Oct 26, 2017
how long have you had it? What started it?

Probably since a child. I grew up in a Catholic family, so learning about heaven and hell as an afterlife. I was always skeptical even back then, and I wouldn't call myself religious anymore. Sure, heaven would be nice if it exists, but if it doesn't? An empty void as you say? Its always been a scary thought, I guess a fear of the unknown is another way to phrase it.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
Yes? No? Not since the lockdown Ive been a homebody for 2 months, I chat with my IRL friends almost daily and me and one friend go out to taco bell drive thru once a week. Plenty of internet discord talking with online friends.

No girlfriend.
I see. I asked because it seems to me than when people don't appreciate day-to-day life their mind starts spiraling into speculating about things beyond their scope, usually to bad results. And the main way people appreciate day-to-day life is by being busy and interacting with others.

Probably since a child. I grew up in a Catholic family, so learning about heaven and hell as an afterlife. I was always skeptical even back then, and I wouldn't call myself religious anymore. Sure, heaven would be nice if it exists, but if it doesn't? An empty void as you say? Its always been a scary thought, I guess a fear of the unknown is another way to phrase it.
Interesting. Without intending to shift the topic to religion, I will say that when I was an atheist I was very comfortable with death, seeing it as the liberation of all the pressures in life (positive or negative) and as the natural order of things - you weren't there before your birth, you won't be there after your death. But converting to Christianity made me take death far more seriously as Orthodoxy teaches that death, whether pictured as heaven or hell, is completely unnatural and our true natural objective is not death but the resurrection and union with God. In other words I developped anxiety about death because of religion. I find it interesting to see it was the opposite for someone else. I used to see death as a comfortable reward that ends the constant suffering of life for everyone, but now I see death as against nature and an area of uncertainty until the resurrection. Especially so since you spend your whole life avoiding pain because your brain associates it with danger and therefore death, and yet death ends up getting you anyway. Not that I am actually anxious about it as not fearing death is also a point in the religion, but it's a fear that I have to conquer, when before that it wasn't present at all.

Last edited:

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I had a really bad one last summer towards the end of June.

My fiancée had to drive me to the ER and then I had another one the following week.

That, combined with her losing her job, caused us to have to move out of our apartment and move back in with her mom.

In December, I left to go back to my parents to see if I could get some better help. That turned out to be a huge mistake and only made my issues worse.

I'm currently back with my fiancée in South Dakota, living in a low income apartment (which honestly isn't that bad of an apartment), but for the first time in a long time, I don't feel as if my anxiety is ruining my life.

Sure, I don't have a job, there's a global pandemic, I'm away from my son (this one hurts, badly), but at this point in time, my anxiety isn't getting the best of me.

King Fossil

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting. Without intending to shift the topic to religion, I will say that when I was an atheist I was very comfortable with death, seeing it as the liberation of all the pressures in life (positive or negative) and as the natural order of things - you weren't there before your birth, you won't be there after your death. But converting to Christianity made me take death far more seriously as Orthodoxy teaches that death, whether pictured as heaven or hell, is completely unnatural and our true natural objective is not death but the resurrection and union with God. In other words I developped anxiety about death because of religion. I find it interesting to see it was the opposite for someone else. I used to see death as a comfortable reward that ends the constant suffering of life for everyone, but now I see death as against nature and an area of uncertainty until the resurrection. Especially so since you spend your whole life avoiding pain because your brain associates it with danger and therefore death, and yet death ends up getting you anyway. Not that I am actually anxious about it as not fearing death is also a point in the religion, but it's a fear that I have to conquer, when before that it wasn't present at all.

Yeah, that is an interesting perspective. I'd say I am agnostic, or agnostic-Christian if that is even a thing. I just can't ever accept being comfortable with death. If my life, personally, was nothing but suffering, I'd likely have a different outlook. But I am happy existing, my consciousness--I don't want to lose that, and my anxiety comes from that unknown of what happens after death. It's always on the back of my mind, but not on the forefront that it is affecting my health or state of mind to the extent of the OP. I figure it will be more on my mind once I get into older age.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I think the major thing is don't take medications that are not prescribed to you. Also can you get therapy? Therapy really is helping me manage the chaos.

OP
OP
Smash-It Stan

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I think the major thing is don't take medications that are not prescribed to you. Also can you get therapy? Therapy really is helping me manage the chaos.
I emailed a therapist today that works 5 minutes from me. I also spoke with a friend who's been through the ringer for like 3 hours today that helped out a bit.

Today's better than yesterday, I still have this feeling in my chest all day though. I feel my heartbeat beat pretty hard at times, sometimes it's rapid but most of the time it's not. I feel weird, not sure if my minds accepted any of the hours of talking Ive done about my issue.

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I have this kind of anxiety too.

The only thing that really helped me was delving deep into philosophical bullshit and realising that human beings really don't understand anything. We have no idea what life, death, consciousness or existence really is or what they mean, if anything.

We can guess, but we only have a tiny speck of the universe which we can observe and make our guesses from.

We're never going to understand this in our lifetimes, it may not even be comprehensible for us.

Best just to let it go and try to enjoy life for what we understand it to be.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I find comfort in thinking that time is a loop and we are destined to live these exact moments once again. Make every moment worth reliving, as best as you can.

Even the most well remembered of us had to face their fate. Everyone is bound to the same fate, none escape it.

The hardest part to accept is that my children are bound to the same fate. That's a heavy thing to think about.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
I've started getting those same type of Death Anxiety attacks almost nightly now...for about.. 4-6 months now. IT fucking sucks. During the day I'm fine, but as soon as i lay in bed with my girlfriend we both watch a show and..like clockwork it fucking hits me and I try not to scream and freak the fuck out because I don't wanna wake up or startle my girlfriend..so i lay down and clench my teeth until I fall asleep from exhaustion. Fucking sucks, and I hate it. I feel you, man. It's also super hard to talk to people about it.. I had a REALLY bad attack during 1914. I clenched my GF's hand super hard, I think she thought it was cause i was sad because a character on screen died.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
First, it is great that you've written your thoughts down. That is very, very good.

Second, please don't take any medicine that isn't prescribed to you by your doctor (and after talking it through with you doctor, as well).

On that note, I highly recommend you speak with your doctor about this anxiety. They can help point you toward resources and you can discuss any potential medication that may be helpful.

I highly recommend you reach out to a hotline to discuss your anxiety. I also think it would be good to speak to someone for therapy.

Do you do much reading? I have found reading self-help type books to be helpful with my anxiety. Books like Meditations by Marcus Aurelius and others, which focus on controlling what you can control in life, have been good for me personally. I have other recommendations if you're interested for books. Reading through these books has helped me to put perspective on my life, what I can control, and what I cannot.

I really want you to get the help you need. Consider posting this thread your first step. Please reach out to your doctor and please be well.

OP
OP
Smash-It Stan

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Had 2 long cries last night. Basically told myself this is all the guilt and anger I repressed over my upbringing and family and current situation manifesting itself as this phobia. Somewhat internally forgave my parents for my less than stellar upbringing, it was the best we could do and afford. The bad way my parents treat other is just how they are(nothing physical). Told myself we're gonna start being better. Gonna stop being standoffish and cold to the parents I take care of, because they also take care of me.

Woke up, had a call from the NAMI center that gave a lot of resources.

Hugged and kissed my mom and dad today, told them I loved them. Something I never do. Asked about visiting grandad's apartment but no visitors allowed but I showed interest, I'll get to drop groceries off tomorrow for him at least and see him that way.

Called my older brother and his wife, it's her birthday today. Apologized to my brother for not calling for his birthday a few days prior. Let them know mom and dad are fine.

I'm just resting now, I can't eat because I try and get nauseous, though I can feel I'm hungry, if my chest isn't feeling weird/tight from this stuff I'm going through. I don't know what's really the issue now, I said I would do better today and I did just that but I don't feel any different, I'm not even thinking about my phobia that much. I guess things take time.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017

I feel you OP. I have this constant fear as well that comes and goes, its honestly something that frequently gives me anxiety attacks or keeps me up at night. I just have managed to work through it over time I guess. It still comes and goes here and there. I am 27 as well. I used to take Clonazepam for it and it worked pretty well if I had attacks to calm me down or help me sleep. I no longer take that unless its a random bad attack. I also think cutting back drinking extremely far to only weekends in moderation helped too. I am not positive, but I definitely have less. I can't relate as much on those shows causing it though. I actually love shows that are the tones you listed. I don't know if its some sick sense of relief to hear others express that there is nothing after, but being ok with it or what. If you ever need to message me please feel free. I can't say I have the answers because it still comes and goes for me and has been a leading anxiety causer for most of my adult life, but I have been able to bring it down a lot and kept it a lot more infrequent now. I am not sure the Xanex caused anything though. Not saying it can't, I am not a doctor, but that is the step up for anxiety med for me, so I can't imagine it caused more anxiety.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Had 2 long cries last night. Basically told myself this is all the guilt and anger I repressed over my upbringing and family and current situation manifesting itself as this phobia. Somewhat internally forgave my parents for my less than stellar upbringing, it was the best we could do and afford. The bad way my parents treat other is just how they are(nothing physical). Told myself we're gonna start being better. Gonna stop being standoffish and cold to the parents I take care of, because they also take care of me.

Woke up, had a call from the NAMI center that gave a lot of resources.

Hugged and kissed my mom and dad today, told them I loved them. Something I never do. Asked about visiting grandad's apartment but no visitors allowed but I showed interest, I'll get to drop groceries off tomorrow for him at least and see him that way.

Called my older brother and his wife, it's her birthday today. Apologized to my brother for not calling for his birthday a few days prior. Let them know mom and dad are fine.

I'm just resting now, I can't eat because I try and get nauseous, though I can feel I'm hungry, if my chest isn't feeling weird/tight from this stuff I'm going through. I don't know what's really the issue now, I said I would do better today and I did just that but I don't feel any different, I'm not even thinking about my phobia that much. I guess things take time.
I get the tightness too when having an attack, you just have to breathe and try to move your focus onto something else. Know that the tightness isn't anything serious or a heart attack or anything. At night a fan in my room that is relatively loud really helped me starting to be able to sleep better. It stopped me from being able to hear my own heartbeat (something that would drive me into an attack pretty easily).

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I've struggled with anxiety as well. It probably started in my mid-30s and only got progressively worse over time. I'm 45 now and in the last six months I felt like I was having heart problems and convinced myself I was probably going to die from a heart attack soon. I finally went to the doctor and through numerous tests found out that everything was fine and my doc prescribed me Lexapro (or the generic equivalent). As with all psychotropic medications, your mileage may vary, but it's been a game-changer for me. My brain used to fixate on things and would not let them go no matter how much I tried to not dwell on them. I don't have this problem anymore. In fact if anything I may be a little TOO loose now but it's surely better than before. So my advice would be to see a professional. I wish I had done so much earlier.

Also, I saw where you took your mom's Xanax, and with most psychotropic drugs, you need to be on it for weeks and taking it very consistently to get the desired effect, so I would discourage you from doing this and ascribing any results to it.

OP
OP
Smash-It Stan

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I've struggled with anxiety as well. It probably started in my mid-30s and only got progressively worse over time. I'm 45 now and in the last six months I felt like I was having heart problems and convinced myself I was probably going to die from a heart attack soon. I finally went to the doctor and through numerous tests found out that everything was fine and my doc prescribed me Lexapro (or the generic equivalent). As with all psychotropic medications, your mileage may vary, but it's been a game-changer for me. My brain used to fixate on things and would not let them go no matter how much I tried to not dwell on them. I don't have this problem anymore. In fact if anything I may be a little TOO loose now but it's surely better than before. So my advice would be to see a professional. I wish I had done so much earlier.

Also, I saw where you took your mom's Xanax, and with most psychotropic drugs, you need to be on it for weeks and taking it very consistently to get the desired effect, so I would discourage you from doing this and ascribing any results to it.
well I was taking it for maybe 2 months up until the attacks, not daily, but I really need a professional to tell me I'm not that 0.0001% where a drug can really fuck someone up. Im waiting on a call back from a therapist.

I felt a very brief moment of relief today. Enough I got up and made food for the first time in 2 days, still a little hungry but I just wanna rest. I feel like I did a lot today and my bodies finally getting the message that I'm trying to do better and chill out.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I had this hit me hard when I was a kid (early teens), which probably made it worse; we are not really mentally equipped to deal with the finality of death and the concept of cessation of existence, but at that age you're even more underequipped.

The only thing I can say is that it does get better over time, albeit slowly. The first time you really think about death, as an atheist, can be really traumatic, but that wound does heal over time and familiarity, and the utter, unspeakable horror is slowly replaced with a far more bearable sort of sadness and melancholy.

It's also worth mentioning the inevitability of death may be challenged eventually, and at 27 you have a better shot at living to see that day than I do. And even beyond death reversal within your own lifetime, there's cryogenics. Both may be long shots, but still more realistic than prayer. :D

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel you. I also had the same thing of yo I have anxiety problems, but I'm like not gonna go kill myself which was a hard thing to keep people from jumping too.

I finally went to the Dr about it like 10 years ago and got on something to help me. Biggest thing is realizing you have it so you know ahead of time to help maybe mitigate the issues.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I had that anxiety when I turned 30. Just turned 40 and now I couldn't care less. It'll pass OP, hopefully.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Smash-It Stan

Don't follow that rabbit, bud. I've been there, and pretty darn close to the bottom. It can get out of your hands quickly. I'm talking psychosis here, so, do be careful.

Read up on something called Radical Acceptance. It'll aid you in fighting off these intrusive thoughts. Think of how everyone is mortal, how we could all be potentially terrified of the void, but most people aren't. That's because most people tend to be too busy to entertain the notion of their mortality more than a couple of minutes. You're spending too much time on your own and inside your head.

Don't be a philosopher right now. There is a lot of nihilistic themed entertainment out there recently, but if you're vulnerable mentally then try to catch yourself when you start to gravitate to it. Because there is nothing more morbidly alluring to an idle, slightly depressed mind than existential dread. So, just veer off and keep people close.

You're doing great so far, reaching out. I'm available if you wanna jump on Discord to play some games and chat.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I get the tightness too when having an attack, you just have to breathe and try to move your focus onto something else. Know that the tightness isn't anything serious or a heart attack or anything. At night a fan in my room that is relatively loud really helped me starting to be able to sleep better. It stopped me from being able to hear my own heartbeat (something that would drive me into an attack pretty easily).

The fan at night to sleep is great advice. That definitely helped me with the same issue (fixating too much on my own heartbeat). As a bonus it helped keep me asleep and cover up my tinnitus.

OP
OP
Smash-It Stan

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I finally went to the Dr about it like 10 years ago and got on something to help me. Biggest thing is realizing you have it so you know ahead of time to help maybe mitigate the issues.
what did you get?

Don't follow that rabbit, bud. I've been there, and pretty darn close to the bottom. It can get out of your hands quickly. I'm talking psychosis here, so, do be careful.
Do you mean don't do drugs? Don't chase the dragon? Don't worry I don't, the pills are long gone and I never drink and have never done weed.

Read up on something called Radical Acceptance. It'll aid you in fighting off these intrusive thoughts. Think of how everyone is mortal, how we could all be potentially terrified of the void, but most people aren't. That's because most people tend to be too busy to entertain the notion of their mortality more than a couple of minutes. You're spending too much time on your own and inside your head.
see this hasnt been working. I watched one of my favourite films but I've started getting intrusive thoughts, even watching one of my favourite streamers had be randomly having bad thoughts. I haven't listened to my music since this started because i've just been avoiding stimulation. I did yard work yesterday and my mind was still on other stuff. Luckily i've had errands to run where I needed my car and turning the music on there helped because I'm already surrounded by tons of noise.

Don't be a philosopher right now. There is a lot of nihilistic themed entertainment out there recently, but if you're vulnerable mentally then try to catch yourself when you start to gravitate to it. Because there is nothing more morbidly alluring to an idle, slightly depressed mind than existential dread. So, just veer off and keep people close.
You might've misread, I HATE nihilistic media, I follow none of it and wish none of it unto me. I just happened to watch something darker with a even darker twist.

You're doing great so far, reaching out. I'm available if you wanna jump on Discord to play some games and chat.
I got told to call the therapist on monday so Im looking forward to that. The morning after my attack I immediately signaled the red alert for help, I know this isn't normal and I wanna get better asap, I wanna go back to how I was 3 months ago.

Saw my grandad today and I know he appreciated that. Rode my bike for half a mile today after not touching it for 5 years, I hope to make that a regular thing.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Buspar. It works great, and it is it's own type of drug unrelated to the Xanax or Prozac of the world. It's just for anxiety and it works for me. I had some adjustment period at first cause my afternoon dose was kicking in an hour later and I'd feel kinda floaty for an hour.

Adjusted my dosage and made sure to take it when I ate lunch fixed that for me.

I also started working out, met the love of my life, have two step kids and another of my own, got a new job and a solid support network. I tried to honestly talk to my family about it so everyone knew so they could help.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you mean don't do drugs? Don't chase the dragon? Don't worry I don't, the pills are long gone and I never drink and have never done weed.

I meant don't entertain the thoughts. Don't allow it to take up more space. That means no more mulling over or theorizing or anything of the sort. Creating narratives in isolation leads to powerful delusions. That's what I meant. But also don't torture yourself running from a some boogeyman thoughts. More on this below.

see this hasnt been working. I watched one of my favourite films but I've started getting intrusive thoughts, even watching one of my favourite streamers had be randomly having bad thoughts. I haven't listened to my music since this started because i've just been avoiding stimulation. I did yard work yesterday and my mind was still on other stuff. Luckily i've had errands to run where I needed my car and turning the music on there helped because I'm already surrounded by tons of noise.

It's impossible to chase away anxiety by actively trying not to think about the thing that makes you anxious. If you keep thinking to yourself "fuck, I'm thinking about this again WHY?!" or "Ok, I'm not gonna think about it...nope. Outta my head!" then all you're doing is running mentally, which boils down to an emotionally heightened state that leaves you vulnerable to those dreadful anxiety attacks.

The point is not to run. Just surrender and stop trying to control everything. There's peace in knowing there is much that's beyond your control.

Don't demonize your thoughts or your current state. Anxiety attacks happen. They're not "normal" without clear and present danger, but they're not abnormal in the grand scheme.

Just accept what you've discovered about yourself and what it means for you going forward, it'll help you get out of your current "crisis-mode". You don't need to fret about how and who you were 3 months ago, as in, don't think of that as "the real you". Instead think you're at an age where your mentality has matured to a point where you consider these things with more seriousness and thus they affect you more. There's a reason inherited mental health issues commonly rear their head in people's late 20's. Not saying this is your case, but it doesn't hurt to operate on that assumption. Result's the same.

Allow yourself to be as you are right now and you'll slowly start to see how you "conquer" these fears.

Again, you're doing fantastic, recognizing and getting ahead of the problem. Stay busy, don't overwhelm yourself and remain cognizant of what you're going through if there are any hiccups.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
I've had anxiety issues since I was a teenager, and it sucks so much. I don't think I've quite experienced what you have OP but I will often find that I get fixated on something small or trivial (i.e worrying about something I said in a conversation days ago) and it makes it incredibly difficult for me to relax or focus on anything else.

It's gotten bad recently, and it's funny that I see this thread today, because this afternoon I had a televisit with a doctor about it and was certified for a medical marijuana card. I've always avoided traditional medication because the side effects scare me, but marijuana has consistently helped me unwind and suppress my irrational worries when I have these episodes. For your specific situation, marijuana may induce paranoia and make it worse so I don't know if I could recommend it, but it certainly helps me.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Death anxiety sucks. I have it once in a while, ot terrifies me. Just not feeling anything, hearing, smelling, while the world keeps evolving. Ugh....