• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I believe it. The whole "flat structure" of the company has always seemed too good to be true (or at the very least not for most people).

Oct 26, 2017
I'd take steam over any possible future valve games. There's no shortage of good games but steam being owned by a private company is unique and about as good as it gets in that space. So I'm fine if they never make another game.
Honestly prefer them maintaining and improving the store and features over making games

Why does it have to be an either/or situation? The amount of revenue they pull in gives them a tremendous amount of freedom.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Their Linux development was literally a project born of Gabe Newell's fear of Windows, and VR has a massive financial upside.

These obviously both have long term possible financial development. But long term is the operative phrase. VR does not yet have a huge financial upside (doubly so in the field of high end VR Valve courts), or at least not one that eclipses the raw dollars per man hour you could expect from working on a DOTA compendium. The Linux work was hedging against plausible cataclysmic behavior from Microsoft in the span of many, many years. The author's words gives the impression short term, low cost gain is in the genes of every team member which is why I wondered where difficult projects like the Linux initiative and VR hardware development fit in.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Their Linux development was literally a project born of Gabe Newell's fear of Windows, and VR has a massive financial upside.

I would not characterize that as a fear of windows, but a vision for the future. You can have that, though.

Now you can sweep away any companies contribution or innovation by declaring it will did good for their business, or in the case of this Linux development, somehow sometime benefit them in some way. Speaking of flat. That flattens everything a company can possibly offer into an equally self-serving maneuver.

I look at that Linux development, and how much it appears to be benefiting valve, and how much it benefits all of us, and I consider that a major stand out project that hugely improves the entire PC landscape with non-obvious benefits to valve. If you can dismiss that, you can dismiss anything.

Nov 8, 2017
This seems fake to be honest

Doubtful, but it is likely that Valve works better for some people and that we mainly see the people for whom it was a shit work environment speaking up.

The characterization of the company as comprised of idle thumb twiddlers seems to be what some people are reading into this, which isn't what the story is actually saying anyway.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it sounds like a tough place to work, but this sounds pretty tame compared to the shit we recently heard about Rockstar. At the very least, they're both shitty places to work for, but I'd take the dysfunctional place over the place harboring harassment and letting higher-ups flat-out abuse employees.
You can choose outside of the 2 though especially with Valve's financial security.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Why does it have to be an either/or situation? The amount of revenue they pull in gives them a tremendous amount of freedom.

They have and look where it got them.

If they prefer to make games like Artifact, I'd rather them work on the service.

I love Portal and Left 4 Dead.

I like CS but its ok.

Not really a fan of Half Life but its okay too.

But with all these games coming out (from third parties) from all the ways possible, I dont mind if Valve focuses on one thing over the other.

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why are we making threads based off of anonymous posts in comment sections again?

Like, did anyone click the link? None of that is in the article. Nobody is vouching for this point of view except the commenter themselves.

Nov 23, 2017
Riiiiight because any other economic models would yield game after game. Rofl They got into the game business to make money on a product they wanted to make.

What you're seeing is called greed and it happens wherever humans exist. Not all humans are this way but many are susceptible to it when great power/wealth come their way. There are still many studios that do it for the games.
If you're blaming greed while defending capitalism in the same post you've lost me.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
If true, it's like a minefield of a workplace, I can't imagine how stressful it is to work there.

Also, scoffing at a $200 million profit for a game that couldn't have possibly cost more than a fifth of that amount? Really?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying they have to, I was replying to posters suggesting that doing so would be either infeasible or problematic.
It's just the way the company see itself as. It sucks for the people who wanted more games from them, but that's the way Valve has decided to conduct itself as a business.

Valve has enough money to make a shit ton of games, but if they dont feel like they can pull it off, then there's nothing we can do.

Nov 23, 2017
Honestly, I empathize with people who have these sentiments, but I fundamentally do not understand why people want new games from storied developers that don't think they have that great of a game to go into production/ship on. I'd love Valve to ship more games, and knowing they are working on quite a few (some in public knowledge, some not-so-much) is nice, but I'd much rather not play a Half Life 3 that they aren't really motivated to get to a shippable state.

Valve literally just released a new game late last year. It might not have been the game you (or frankly, many) people wanted to play, but it's the game they wanted to make and put into the world. They constantly & update the hell out of most of their titles, and are one of the very few big studios that not only allow modding & custom content, but go out of their way to support it. They're trying harder than anyone to get VR working, arguably in-spite of how viable a platform it is for mass market or revenue potential. They're pretty much the only "Linux" developer, both native & as a JIC Windows decides to go full App Store They don't allow a crunch culture, their average career lifespan is one of the highest in the west, and they legitimately go well out of their way to make experiences that make games fun irregardless of profitability. Valve is one of Riot's more storied competitors, and I can honestly say some of the criticisms thrown their way are legitimately befuddling.

Claims of "capitalism" killing the art just doesn't make sense looking at either Valve or other big publishers. They absolutely, positively have prioritized their live-service games & Steam, but not just because of the revenue-to-time economics - it's because those are the products that made their customers (players) the most satisfied, and those are the products the staff feels they are best worth investing in. They aren't perfect, god knows, but criticizing them for a lack of games shipped feels like the worst kind of monkey paw wish you could make of a developer you like.

I respect the opinions of (on a very personal level) anyone who's disappointed there's no Half Life 3, or new IP out of Valve in the same way I respect people that are upset the next Kojima game isn't a Metal Gear - you love something, and not getting more of what you know you love sucks.
This is a description of the market, not a description of capitalism. Valve does not acquire capital besides money and high end computers.

Oct 25, 2017
Quite the contrast from Jane's (Campo Santo's artist, now Valve's artist) experience there.​
I also read most of it and some of it seems really weird. Take this, for example:​
"Indeed, Valve — once one of the most artistically creative game studios in the world... has mutated into a ruthless financial middleman.... creating virtually nothing original themselves."
The only thing Valve created from scratch was Half Life. Every single project besides that was originally a mod or made by an external dev team, Portal included​
Also, this:​
One very senior employee even said that Valve would never make another single player game, because they weren't worth the effort. "Portal 2," he explained, had only made $200 million in profit and that kind of chump change just wasn't worth it, when you could make 100s of millions a year selling digital hats and paintjobs for guns (most of which are designed by players, not the employees!)
Is this the same company that developed Proton, is allowing developers to use their network and dedicated servers for online for "free" and is launching a $999 VR headset aimed at a (still) mostly enthusiast market?​
Also the Valve that is using their platform to do really cool stuff like LudoNarraCon, which, from the mouth of the organizers, helped a lot really niche titles?​
I have a fuckton of criticism to Valve, especially with their use of algorhytms and the lack of a moderation team on what enters and not enters steam (with stuff like the rape game getting in there, although, never for sale) and some of that does seems plausible but man some stuff seems REALLY weird.​
and i don't know why my post got aligned like this, sorry​

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Can't stress out the importance of a well documented chain of command with clear policies on escalation path and where the buck stops at. I work in tech (hardware) and I'm glad my company has this. No, most managers are not overbearing micro-managers, but when shit is about to hit the fan you know who you need to turn to to get the resources to avoid it (or at least try to) and there is a general expectation they WILL do something about it.

A company with a "flat" structure or "no hierarchy" is like fucking high school full of petty politics. Also, fuck Valve for using one my fave games ever (TF2, 3000h played) to experiment with the "hat economy". It worked so well, they are no longer game devs. :/

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
There are very good reasons they're working on both, related to unannounced major efforts.

I don't expect you to spill what you know but yeah the Steam OS plus Proton along with doing VR hardware does feel like Valve could be building up to another Steambox (Hopefully this time built by Valve and not third parties perhaps with AMD CPU/GPU combos like the consoles).

I could be totally wrong though it can be hard to tell with Valve.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Has been obvious from the outside for quite some time now. Valve is no longer the indie-minded, community-first place it once was. It's now the rent-seeking middleman that churns out games that are so finely tuned to what it wants to play inside the studio that they're shocked when few people on the outside share their desire for Magic the Microgathering: Skinnerbox Evolved. Valve have more than lost their way.

Oct 25, 2017
Skimming through the thread and i will never understand era's hate for valve, some really embarrassing hot takes in here

I guess it mostly boils to, from what i've read: they are not making the games i like anymore

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and no. The benefit of private ownership is not being beholden to investors and the agility to make decisions based on the whims of the owners. So, if the owners are intelligent and tactful, then you can serve your customer base and enforce healthy policies. Recently, Valve has proven it has little interest in achieving either. It's why I buy games on GoG and personally have little issue with Epic buying limited exclusivity on certain titles.

Valve stopped making content I enjoy, ruined the existing structure of games I used to play like DotA 2/CSGO/TF2 with skinnerbox nonsense, incrementally updated their client to make it worse, convinced the community to do asset production and curation work for them, tried to monetize mods, enabled bigots for years by ignoring their posts in the forums, set your profile's to public by default for years so that dataminers could easily steal your info and now we are continually hearing about their unhealthy workplace culture.

We are long way from their glory days. I am hesitant to give them another dime to be honest. In terms of storefronts, I don't consider them good, just the lesser of many evils. Every article like this just reaffirms my meditations were well-founded.

I hope we see a fundamental change at Valve soon, but I doubt it.
I agree with you on the games front but in terms of Steam I struggle to find complaints that aren't nitpicks and as we've seen in the many comparisons between different platforms they are well ahead of the curve in functionality. I can't help but think that if any of the big guys were running Steam we'd be in for a lot more exploitation and anti-consumer practices while stuff like the Linux support would never have seen the light of day. I'm not saying Steam is perfect but I think the service has been maintained with a level of benevolence and long term perspective that wouldn't able to exist in a publicly traded tech company.

I'm confused what this has to do with the topic.
A lot of this stuff boils down to the public opinion that Valve sucks for not making games anymore. I agree that sucks, but I think Steam is more important than any game they could have ever made so it actually doesn't bother me.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Valve makes a ton of money yet produces so few games. It really is embarassing where we are now along with other big names like Activision and Epic. It seems like they are fine with one or two big IP's and that's it.

Yes I know Valve is making VR games but it doesn't change the fact they have produced very little over the years. Hire more people if that's what it takes to run a store and create games.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with Valve existing as a middleman storefront manager, even though they clearly aren't just doing that.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would not characterize that as a fear of windows, but a vision for the future. You can have that, though.

Now you can sweep away any companies contribution or innovation by declaring it will did good for their business, or in the case of this Linux development, somehow sometime benefit them in some way. Speaking of flat. That flattens everything a company can possibly offer into an equally self-serving maneuver.

I look at that Linux development, and how much it appears to be benefiting valve, and how much it benefits all of us, and I consider that a major stand out project that hugely improves the entire PC landscape with non-obvious benefits to valve. If you can dismiss that, you can dismiss anything.

How do you figure pushing Linux has "non-obvious" benefits to Valve? What do you think the SteamOS is?...Linux. Steam Machines run on Linux, so having as many games as possible running on their hardware is hugely important. The fact that they were an unmitigated disaster doesn't mean they didn't expect differently and won't try again. Valve has a huge stake in getting as much of Steam's library as possible to work on their machines without Windows.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Happens to people in studios and especially satellite studios all around the world.

Finding a studio/position that closely matches your own goals and aspirations might as well be an art form.

Anyone who joined Valve in the last decade with the aspiration to create AAA FPS games probably needed a little dose of reality.

On the other side, I am sure there are plenty of VR hardware enthusiasts who are living their dream job at the moment.

Not necessarily with Valve, this was recent: https://venturebeat.com/2019/03/09/valve-loses-vr-engineers-in-recent-layoff/

I mean it makes sense from a project perspective seeing as Index is pretty much finished, but I'm not sure Valve's VR division is quite as large as you may think.

They are also creating 3 VR games, one that is out this year.

Treating any software release window given by Valve with any sort of faith doesn't seem particularly wise given their history. They were initially supposed to reveal these titles at what was going to be the 2017 Steam Dev Days which then never happened.

When Valve's Greg Coomer took to the stage, he suggested next year wouldn't disappoint software fans.

"Although we're not going to treat Dev Days this year as the place or the time to make big product announcements related to the content that we have in development at Valve for virtual reality, I do think that once it becomes time to do that next year, nobody in this room is going to be disappointed," said Coomer.

So yeah BIG grain of salt and all that for that one game coming out this year.

MotionBlue

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe it. The whole "flat structure" of the company has always seemed too good to be true (or at the very least not for most people).
"flat structure" only works in Research I think. I worked at a few labs that used similar structuring, and it worked well, but there was always a main Leader type that needed to approve things.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Some of you here should maybe consider that Valve aren't interested in making new games.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
These people apparently have never heard of CDProjekt. They have a fraction of the middleman business valve does and they're making bigger games than anyone in the industry.

It is remarkable how consistent these workplace criticisms of valve are. And how true they ring to a customer of theirs who pays attention to how they run things in a public facing capacity.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
This very much matches what we've heard about Valve, and what has been going on there for many years. The question at this point is whether they've truly righted the ship or not. Actually getting somewhere with VR and having games for it(allegedly), along with the acquisition of Campo Santo, makes it plausible that things may have changed for the better. Or perhaps their way of working has finally paid off, and what we've heard are things from people who were truly a bad fit(unlikely). I do think that pressure from Epic will be a positive influence on the company long term.

Ultimately I find it all of this very believable, and really quite sad, that what was once the premiere PC video game company completely fell apart due to shit culture and management(or lack their of).

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
These people apparently have never heard of CDProjekt. They have a fraction of the middleman business valve does and they're making bigger games than anyone in the industry.

It is remarkable how consistent these workplace criticisms of valve are. And how true they ring to a customer of theirs who pays attention to how they run things in a public facing capacity.
Holding CDPR up as a beacon is hilarious given the constant bad news coming out of there. At least I haven't heard of Valve crunching for months on projects

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Why does it sound like Lord of the Flies but with developers?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People bring up Valve buying Campo Santo but I wonder if anyone from that team lasts the long term.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder when these people worked there. We already know Valve has been making 3 AAA VR games since 2016.
Well the account in the OP says a few years ago, so maybe before, or just as it started going. It does seem like VR has given the company a true focal point for all their employees to get behind and drive projects towards. Gabe's own comments point to them having often wanted a hardware+software business ala Nintendo, and wishing for that fixed environment to design software around.
People bring up Valve buying Campo Santo but I wonder if anyone from that team lasts the long term.
Given that Campo Santo already had their own structure, it seems unlikely that Valve would foist something different on them, barring them being moved into the same building which I doubt would happen.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Well the account in the OP says a few years ago, so maybe before, or just as it started going. It does seem like that VR has given the company a true focal point for all their employees to get behind and drive projects towards. Gabe's own comments point to them having often wanted a hardware+software business ala Nintendo, and wishing for that fixed environment to design software around.

Makes sense.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
No leaders plus huge reliable revenue stream (Steam licensing fees etc) mean there's little to no impetus for them to ship anything, well, ever. So they play around with pet projects but never get to the point of going 'look we have to ship a product already to stay in business'. I guess occasionally someone pitches a skinner box and they all see dollar signs and ship that... But it clearly doesn't work. How did Left 4 Dead 3 not happen? Even if it was just L4D2 with better graphics and some extra maps... I know people are desperate for that.

Other studios have shipped games trying to fill that void because the demand is there.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
"Only". Valve can fuck right off.
It was always weird to me that p-body and atlas could get cosmetics only visible in their co-op modes, something they very clearly abandoned quickly as there was zero incentive to just re-acquire TF2 derivatives that only one other person in the whole world at a time could see.
Valve wanted some part of Portal 2 to be a GaaS revenue machine but couldn't make it work and somehow, the article makes it seem like they blame that for never making another narrative single player experience. Tragic.