• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Can confirm a crash on my end too, playing on PS4 while grinding the Arena during Vol.1 post-game. Happened after appearing back in Lumina Cloth after a fight and immediately going to check Pi's status screen when the screen went dark. Wasn't too far from a save I made so the damage was negligible... still, though.

Save often.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Still plugging away at Vol.3 post-game stuffs. Just a few more optional area words to unlock, baddies to bash, and PKs ta knock out before I storm the bonus dungeon. Then after that is grinding for VCs for Master's Texts to get anyone not at weapon level 30 to that. Then the final arena battle, and viewing a promise event. Gotta rewatch Returner now in HD, checkout Innocent Call and Ragtime as well. After alllll that I may finally get to Vol.4 at long last sometime early next week?

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Just started vol 2 after doing mostly everything in vol 1. Do I really need to do all the same campaigns again for the Ryu books? Also, when should I fight doppelgänger and how many times?

Vorador

Oct 28, 2017
Just started vol 2 after doing mostly everything in vol 1. Do I really need to do all the same campaigns again for the Ryu books? Also, when should I fight doppelgänger and how many times?

Fight doppel 2 times, and as soon as possible. A beast awakening will make it go down easily. Then you will be set for weapons for the rest of vol 2 and quite a bit of vol 3.

And naw, the only campaign you need to do is the new one, bike racing if you want the trophy. But once you get the trophies IMHO the NPC quest aren't really worthwhile the grind. Unless you're really want to 100% the game, or if you're missing items in the ryu book.

Still, IT IS higly recommendable to reach max rank of the ryu book on vol 2, just because you get wallpapers and music otherwise you wouldn't get. But for that you don't really need to do the NPC campaigns.

I may youtube it. I heard the dungeon is 3-6 hours long.

You can save every 5 floors if memory serves well. It is not as much of a chore as it sounds.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
You can save every 5 floors if memory serves well. It is not as much of a chore as it sounds.
Yeah unless you're going for 100% completion you can just run by every normal group of monsters and just fight bosses only.

Heres a small breakdown on the bonus/epilogue dungeon:
- Its 100 blocks long and for the first 50 you can exit back to town then return to where ya left off if its a block ending in 0 or 5.
- You can dump stuff into storage via Platforms but not pull anything out.
- There are 20 unique items to be gotten from it along with 4 unique monsters.
- 14 of the unique items are gotten from Phase bonuses (things like kill x number of monsters or use x number of awakenings) within the blocks the bonuses apply to.
- Ya both enter and leave each block on the left side of the mini-map so its incredibly simple to navigate without using Fairy's Orbs all the time.
- A certain cutscene towards the halfway point will play out different whether ya have a certain party member in tow or not.
- Every five blocks will have a boss and then a special Platform which lets ya change party members without going back to town! There will also be a save point!
- Ya know darn well theres gonna be Chim doors to unlock! Better bring a full stock of spheres!
- The final wallpaper & cutscene video are locked behind clearing the dungeon!

In my replay of it at the end of last month/beginning of this one I went through doing the minimum number of things required for unique items an nothing more! An it still took a crapload of time:

Blocks 001 - 050 = 1:22
Blocks 051 - 100 = 5:12

Attempting to clear out every monster, get every bonus, open every chest/breakable object is basically an open invitation to driving yourself nuts. I should know, once upon a time I tried ta do just that... IN ONE SITTING. I will just say that did not end well!

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I just ran through a couple sets of blocks on the PS2 version. I'd say anywhere from 2 1/2 to 4 minutes per every 4 blocks. I started with 99 Chim Sphere and ended with 44 so grinding those adds alot of time... which won't be an issue the new versions of the game since 999 Chim Sphere will be more than enough! There's also the movement speed increase to factor in. That + Demon's Safe Shoes (25% speed boost + baddies can't see you) + Ap Do (50% speed boost so always have Atoli or Yata or Spoiler in the party!) should decrease the running around speed by a fair amount. Boss monsters stay dead so I can't time those but they are spongy as heck an only get worse the further in you go. Battles are much faster and "easier" in Last Recode but I'd wager they're not gonna just drop dead in less than a minute or something like that! Even so thats what, 20 battles total? Not gonna be as terrible a timesink as it could be. Theres also a few cutscenes here & there which add time.

Hard ta estimate how much the various speed increases will make things take but if its 3 minutes x 80 blocks thats 4 hours of just running from one boss fight to the next. Then add time spent for mandatory battles & cutscenes an it could go up to 5 hours minimum maybe? But then theres time spent going into the menu to re-apply Ap Do, maybe changing your party around, healing up, dropping stuff into storage. Alot of player dependant variables!

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Near the Vol. 2 endgane and i was wondering :
For the book of 1000 battle book grinding, which of the values checked earn the most point to level up the book?

Battles, rengeki or awakenings?

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I've been dying to play this series ever since I watched the .hack//roots series on Adult Swim years ago. But I could never really afford games then! Now that the HD collection is here I bought it day one!

But for some reason I'm too nervous or too afraid to actually play it!

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I've been dying to play this series ever since I watched the .hack//roots series on Adult Swim years ago. But I could never really afford games then! Now that the HD collection is here I bought it day one!

But for some reason I'm too nervous or too afraid to actually play it!
reads like something straight out of the in-game forums

if the game feels overwhelming you can always enable cheat mode and just enjoy the story

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
reads like something straight out of the in-game forums

if the game feels overwhelming you can always enable cheat mode and just enjoy the story
It's not overwhelming. I'm just afraid of not having enough time for it due to some recent developments in my life. Obviously I can still go back to it every once in a while. But the events of the stories will be harder to remember if that makes sense.

I'm hoping for an opportunity to just sit down and binge through all of them.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Guess I'll log out and check out this finale!

- Vol.1
https://i.imgur.com/kVBDhts.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/GJlEMjr.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PcCRGmF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/YeH0Kxc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/WgkyIM1.jpg

- Vol.2
https://i.imgur.com/Qzh6kqU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/W9YBTkd.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/FjpMgIk.jpg

- Vol.3
https://i.imgur.com/pffyCwJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/EsPzTw8.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DRb0rcD.jpg

Watch out for spoilers as always! The first two in Vol.3 happen right after the other due the G.U. series handholdy nature so feel free ta count only one of 'em! An with that the log out an check email meme... will never die even though it only comes up like a dozen times!

btw
wVD8atw.jpg

Farewell, God Chim Chim!

Oh and as for the first half of the bonus dungeon in LR...

Blocks 001 - 050 = 0:50

32 mins faster than in my last PS2 run. Not having to much hope of the second half being drastically quicker. Oh an 245 chim needed! Come prepared!

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you need every single item to complete the Ryu book in Volume 3? I'm almost ready to wrap up Volume 2 but there's still a few items I'm missing and I'm too burnt out on item hunting to bother with them right now.

Vorador

Oct 28, 2017
Do you need every single item to complete the Ryu book in Volume 3? I'm almost ready to wrap up Volume 2 but there's still a few items I'm missing and I'm too burnt out on item hunting to bother with them right now.

No, don't worry. You don't need to get all of them, i think i maxed out with 20-30 items still unknown.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Okies I ran outta post space for my "changelog" so here's part 2 of it! This part'll cover stuffs still wrong with the games / localization, localization fixes, and oddities which I'd hope would be fixed up in a patch, but not the game breaking type to really fret & fuss over.

First post here: https://www.resetera.com/posts/676887/ covers the technical side of things. New LR changes, backported stuffs, and things which very much should be patched!

The Uncorrected
-
Shino still has the wrong color in early game cutscenes...
- In the News article titled "Day Trip to NY! ASST Begins Service" they use (1*) rather than (*1) which is used in every other article that has a note.
- Oimatsu & IGA still have each others dialogue (this was actually corrected in the original Vol.2).
- Several errors regarding Hokuto's first email remain unfixed ("Lena", "Emma Willant's", "her").
- The camera locking glitch is still present.
- The in-game timer still highly inaccurate.
- Forum thread "Job of Multi-Weapon" has retained that name despite the whole Adept Rogue thing.
- Terminal Disc: During Interim Report 3, its stated Cubia appears for a 3rd battle with Kite which is wrong. Minutes later this is corrected when Jun says "After a long and diffcult second battle...". This error is still present. (To be fair it could be considered ambiguous since its Kites 3rd time encountering Cubia but only the 2nd time fighting it.)
- Theres a graphical error in Temple areas where you can see a weird shadow in the sky a room or so before the Beast Statue.
- Vol.2: In an Apkallu forum post, The Divine Fist Ouka is wrongly called Houka the God Fist.
- Terminal Disc: During Interim Report 11, Gord is mislocalized as "Godo" both in spelling and pronunciation. also Sagisaka isn't quite right nor is B Set (should be Sakisaka, Gord, and Bset).
- Vol.3: In the Apkallu thread "Duck and Chim" the OP refers to Dol Dona as the "Eternal City" while it should be "Celestial City".
- Online Jack: in episode 8 "The World" login screen is shown and the version number 2.26 is on it. This is a continuity error since it should match Vol.3's 3.58 version number!
- In various forum threads people talk about the Medic Union members saying "nyan" but in the game itself they say "meow".
- In the Apkallu thread "Gold Bird" the poster ACE say the Lucky Animal "Moon Rabbit" is called "Moon Bunny" which is technically wrong I guess.
- In a "The World" thread called "Cloudy Steel and Cloudy Fur" the poster NAOO wants to know where to find a "Nobel Wand" when in fact it should be "Spell Noble".
- Vol.3: In a couple of emails the "Dusty Miller" item is instead called a "White Chrysanthemum" for some odd reason.

So they noticed! (Vol.1)
-
In the original version, the News article titled "Another Accident At CC Corp." is strangely re-titled "CC Corp. Employees Happy In New Office" at the top of the article itself. This has been corrected.
- In the official forum thread "Working people fall in!" the player Saltaholic's name is mispelled as "Soltaholic". His guild name Saltmania is mispelled as "Sultmania". This has been corrected.
- Under Ryu Book IV you can view "Weapons", "Armor", "Accessories", and "Items in Storage". The last one being an error which isn't corrected until Vol.3 where it is changed to "Items". This correction now applies to Vol.1 HD.
- In the original version "Fault" was used as both Chapter 14 & 16's name. In the HD version, Chapter 16 is now named "Rogue". Which is fitting since this is the time when the Job Extension event appears.
- In the original version (of all 3 games no less) trying to use a Fairy's Orb in certain places would display the message: "This item cannot be used him." This has been corrected as the message now says "This item cannot be used here."
- Hangeki is now displayed when using counterattacks in arena fights. Previously in Vol.1 & 2 the Rengeki text was used.
- Tri-Strikes rengeki text was changed from "Tri.Strike" to "Tri-Strike". (was originally corrected in Vol.2)
- The preview video for Vol.2 now has Vol.2: Reminisce! Originally it just said .hack//G.U. presumably because the english title for the game hadn't yet been decided on!

So they noticed! (Vol.2)
- In the original version (of all 3 games no less) trying to use a Fairy's Orb in certain places would display the message: "This item cannot be used him." This has been corrected as the message now says "This item cannot be used here."
- In the official forum thread "Working people fall in!" the player Saltaholic's name is mispelled as "Soltaholic". His guild name Saltmania is mispelled as "Sultmania". This has been corrected.
- The people running the Guild Shops in Dol Dona for Moon Tree, Kestrel, Medic Union, Trifle and Empireo have no dialogue. This is obviously an error since in Vol.3 they do dialogue when spoken to there. This has been corrected! No more blank dialogue!
- After getting a Job Extension one of the notifications that popup will say you've received a "Scythe Slice". Problem is, theres no weapon with that name! The one ya end up with in your inventory is "Scythe Shouxiao"! This ones been fixed as well! No more Slice!
- Dr. Kubo: "I'll hold onto the Chim Chim Radar for now."
The problem here is that Chim Chim Radar was the name of the item found in Vol.1. In this game it was called Chim Examiner. This has been corrected!
- Captain: Congratulations on your victory at the Demon Palace. To go to Hy Brasail, choose "Set Sail." Except its the Holy Palace you won in this volume! This got corrected!
- Captain: Did you have a good time at the party? To go to Hy Brasail, choose "Set Sail". This is said even
when you're already at Hy Brasail!! This also got corrected! He now says: Captain: Did you have a good time at the party? To return, choose "Set Sail".
- Pao: "I'll hold onto that Lucky Ball and Animal Radar since you won't be needing it."
The problem here is that Lucky Ball was the name of the item found in Vol.1. In this game it was called Lucky Sphere. This has been corrected!
- In the Japanese PS2 version of this game, "The World" log in screen displayed the version number 2.98. However in the localized game, it remained 2.26 which Rebirth had used. This has been corrected!
- The Vol.3 preview video doesn't have any subtitles. This is strange since the on for Vol.2 did. Well now it does have 'em!
- The description for the added effect Past Invite is "Half the target's HP." Half? Really? Shouldn't it be Halve? This has been changed with the new description: "Regular attacks halve the target's HP. This effect does not trigger if the enemy is many levels apart from you."

So they noticed! (Vol.3)
-
In the Apkallu thread Cuteness Up, a broadsword called "Centipede" is discussed. Vol.3 wallpaper 038 also calls it "Centipede". However there is no sword by that name! That item is clearly the "Broad Legged"! This has been corrected... save for one last remaining mention of "Centipede" in the very first post of the thread!
- The description for the added effect Past Invite is "Half the target's HP." Half? Really? Shouldn't it be Halve? This has been changed with the new description: "Regular attacks halve the target's HP. This effect does not trigger if the enemy is many levels apart from you."
- Pao: "This magical item is called a Lucky Ball. I invented it myself." and "If you can fill up the Lucky Ball with data, I'll be quite happy." and "I'll hold onto that Lucky Ball and Animal Radar since you won't be needing it."
The problem here is that Lucky Ball was the name of the item found in Vol.1. In this game it was called Luck Sphere. This was corrected by changing the items name to Lucky Ball!
The problem here is that Chim Chim Radar was the name of the item found in Vol.1. In this game it was called Chim Data Radar. This has been corrected!
- Late in the game after exiting out of a cutscene in Raven you'll be reminded to go to the area "Sigma Fleeing Dismayed Emotion". The odd thing here is that the area name is displayed with a purple font color which is strange since area names are always in a golden color! This has been fixed cause area names are now in blue color!
- In an even later late game cutscene there's a subtitle error in which the text "...Man, what was that all about?" is used twice despite not matching the spoken dialogue. This has been fixed!
- In a post-game quest a thing called the "Gear of Malice" is brought up. In dialogue form it has that name but in system message windows its called "Gear of Evil" which is pretty weird! However it is now "Gear of Malice" all the way through!

New Oddities
-
Voiced dialogue from IYOTEN and Silabus regarding the use of the former "Select" button (now the Touchpad) has been muted. Actually, it seems every character that mentions any button is a previously voiced line is now muted.
- The subtitle for the Blade Brandiers Sword Flash skill says "Shadow Flash". 11 year old mistranslation, or recent mistranslation?
- Vol.1: In the original Rebirth you could sort Bookmarks and Warp Records in the following ways:
Alphabetical
Treasure Level
Monster Level
Lost Ground
Guild
Server
New
Old
Strangely, the first three options are now gone. Also strange is that you can no longer sort your Warp Records. An beyond strange is that the original Vol.2 removed the Alphabetical and Server options! So why was the perpetually useless Server one kept around? (Strangely Vol.2 HD retains its SD version sorting options, including being able to use it under Warp Records.)
-
Vol.1: You can instantly open the menu upon entering a new floor/block in Caves/Temples. ...this is odd, but welcome, because starting with the original Vol.2 you had to wait approximately 3 seconds before being able to open the menu.
- Here's something really throwing me off: The party member status for "Online" has changed from Blue to Gray. "Offline" has changed from Gray to Blue.
- Vol.1: Rip Mumyn is now Rip Mumin. In the original Vol.1 both the skill name and its description used Rip Mumyn. In Vol.2 it became Rip Mumin. In Vol.3 the skill name remained Rip Mumin, but in its description it went back to being called Rip Mumyn.
- Vol.1/2: the first Alchemy Factory tutorial message uses [Cronos Spike] + [Cronos Spike] = [Cronos Spike +1]. In the original Spin Gai Gu was used... probably because there is no weapon in the game called Cronos Spike! This madeup/mislocalized weapon first appeared in Vol.2 where the NPC IGA mentions receiving one.
- Vol.1: Mumyn Lei has become Munim Lei which is just... what?
- Vol.1: Death Grunty has more lines of dialogue when talking to him in the Alchemy Factory.
- Vol.1: Canard Key: Guild master's key to enter Canard's Home. (PS2) is now~ Canard Key: Guildmaster's key to enter Canard's Home. (HD)
- Vol.1: Fortress Stone: A round heavy stone with moss on the surface. (PS2) is now~ Fortress Stone: A heavy round stone with moss on the surface. (HD)
- This ones hard to explain but basically the way NPCs are loaded into towns seems to have changed for the worse. It feels like its more efficient(?) to swap back and forth between towns to get different ones to load in rather the old log out/log in method.
- Vol.1: In a very early cutscene video "8 Months Later" shows up in the video. However in the subtitle it says "8 Month Later".
- Vol.1: The first Chapter title "First Day" has been changed to "First Cry". The second Chapter title has been changed from "deja vu" to "Deja Vu".
-
The Movie Player pages are now 01 to 05. Originally they had used 00 to 04. Also odd because the BGM/Wallpaper numbering still begins with 00.
- The text in the ever-present blue rectangle on the desktop is now completely different!
- Originally when going through certain sections of Mac Anu the game would freeze for a second for loading. This still occurs, however the screen goes black instead of continuing to show the game screen. Ditto for the loadpoint in Dol Dona.
- Vol.1/2: There's a translation error which says you can Alchemize equipment which are up to 20 levels apart (a feature introduced in the original Vol.3). However if you try to do this, you'll be told you can't because Alchemized equipment only works with a 10 level difference between them. (not present in Vol.2 HD)
-
Vol.2: At the very start of the game, the NPC Tiphereth has part of her dialogue no longer displays. Text inside parenthesis is what got eaten:
• We're inside of "The World" right now (, aren't we?)
Ah, I don't mean that we're playing "The World" (, I mean that we actually exist inside of it now.)
I'm sorry, it's hard for me to say... Do you get what I'm trying to say?
• If we're inside "The World" now (, what's become of my real self...)
I hope this doesn't mean...that I've fallen into a coma...
- Vol.2: Whoops! The tutorial message about now being able to change party member equipment is still there lol. This was a feature backported into Vol.1 and as such doesn't make sense to display here anymore.
- Vol.2: When alchemizing, or exiting then re-entering the Alchemize menu may cause the space where Haseo's name should be, to instead be blank, the name of the party member you had last selected in the alchemy menu before exiting it, or some very strange characters/symbols.
- Vol.2: The level requirement for Spin Indigo is incorrect. It says 61 while actually being 62.
- AIDA-011:
-> AIDA < Anna >'s structure data.
-> Structure data of AIDA < Anna >.
- Cow Stomach: when attached to...
-> Dual Sword the first word in the weapons name changes to "Blunt". For all other weapon types the word becomes "Gravity". (PS2)
-> Dual Sword/Guantlet/Staff/Grimoire the first word in the weapons name changes to "Blunt". For all other weapon types the word becomes "Gravity". (PS4)
- Lance Angel: when attached to any piece or armor the first word in the armors name becomes "Rigid" in the PS2 games. However it is now "Deflecting" in the PS4 editions.
- Staff Angel: when attached to any piece or armor the first word in the armors name becomes "Padded" in the PS2 games. However it is now "Resilient" in the PS4 editions.
- Grimore Angel: when attached to any piece or armor the first word in the armors name becomes "Deaf" in the PS2 games. However it is now "Numb" in the PS4 editions.
- Fan Angel: when attached to any piece or armor the first word in the armors name becomes "Slick" in the PS2 games. However it is now "Droll" in the PS4 editions.
- Chaotic PKer "Lady Bomber Jahad" has been renamed "Explosive Gia".
- Vol.3: The text after collecting the last Symbol Fragment used to be "The Symbol Fragments have started to shine..." This has been changed to "Symbol Fragments are starting to shine." This slight text change found in the original Vol.3 is not present in the HD version.
- Vol.3: A monster once named "Captain Hook" is now named "Captain Crook".
- Vol.3: The Guild Rank 8 once named "Platform Heal" is now named "Platform Full Heal", the name of the original Rank 9 reward. Despite the name change it still has the same description/features and price of the vanilla "Platform Heal".
- Vol.3:
One of Cubia's attacks was once named "Jihad". This has been changed to "Mjöllnir" because???
Super endgame spoiler which idk why was okay in 2003/2004/2007 but not 2017. Thanks for breaking continuity?
- Vol.3: After the main stories over you'll get an email from someone called Ono and within it theres a difference between the old and new version of the game which also creates an error in the new version because there is no "thanksgiving" to select!
-> PS2: If you'll accept, please select "The Sweepstakers" in a Limit Battle in the Sage Palace.
-> PS4: If you'll aceept, please select "thanksgiving" in a Limit Battle in the Sage Palace.
- Vol.3: Malphas is now listed as being a L111 - 120 monster whereas before it was L121 - 130.

Last edited:

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I have conflicting information about the engagement event. Do I have to recruit everyone or not to trigger the marriage?

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
That how it works in the PS2 version. In my save files on those the last email I got was the promise one which means it came after getting every party member. Not the case in Last Recode however!

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I just unintentionally discovered that ya can now carry more than 99 VC's. This is changing how I play the second half of the bonus dungeon just alil. I walked in with 0, how many will I walk away with?!

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a faster way to level weapon skills in Volume 2 aside from counter attacking in the arena over and over again? I've been at it for like two hours now and I still have two levels to go.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Phew! That session ended up being 4 hours an 15 minutes long! Most it spent wrapping up the Epilogue, but since I had the means to do so I went an wrapped up every last loose end afterwards! Being able ta hold more than 99 VCs is a real game changer! I walked outta the Epilogue with 355 in tow which was more than enough ta buy all the Master's Texts I needed to cheaply get the remaining party members who weren't at weapon level 30 up to it! An I still had 185 VCs left after that! Wish I hadn't done a grinding session for 'em the other day >.<!

- Epilogue (PS2)
Blocks 001 - 050 = 1:22
Blocks 051 - 100 = 5:12
Total: 6:34

- Epilogue (PS4)
Blocks 001 - 050 = 0:50
Blocks 051 - 100 = 3:33
Total: 4:23

Okies I was totally wrong! Over 2 hours saved is HUGE! An once again that was with taking the time to get each unique reward with the absolute minimum requirements met to earn 'em! To just straight run through the place fighting bosses only would be waaaay faster than I'd estimated! In total I ended up spending 525 Chim Spheres an let me tell you, the time saved not having to farm 'em was definitely super helpful!

Now lets have a look at playtime stats between old & new!

- Rebirth: 27:22:11 ["25:58:48"] + 11:57:17 ["11:12:26"] = 39:19:28 ["37:11:14"]
- Rebirth HD: 23:51:50 ["21:47:02"] + 8:26:45 ["8:01:05"] = 32:18:35 ["29:48:07"]
-> Time Saved: 7:00:53

- Reminisce: 29:00:01 ["27:32:51"] + 16:17:21 ["15:54:28"] = 45:17:22 ["43:27:19"]
- Reminisce HD: 24:01:29 ["23:12:39"] + 13:16:45 ["13:17:12"] = 37:18:14 ["36:29:51"]
-> Time Saved: 7:59:08

- Redemption: 30:12:38 ["29:29:11"] + 27:40:18 ["26:48:21"] = 57:52:56 ["56:17:32"]
- Redemption HD: 24:49:28 ["24:09:47"] + 19:56:45 ["19:53:25"] = 44:46:13 ["44:03:12"]
-> Time Saved: 13:06:43

Over 28 hours total saved compared ta playing on the original versions! Thats massive!! An with the knowledge gained from these playthroughs the next could be faster still, especially Vol.3!

Is there a faster way to level weapon skills in Volume 2 aside from counter attacking in the arena over and over again? I've been at it for like two hours now and I still have two levels to go.
Its pretty much just that and fighting L100 monsters while being thankful weapon leveling is much quicker than it was on the PS2! Dunno if ya built up / burned through a supply of Beginner's Texts / Books in Vol.1 but doing that helped ease the pain for me.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Just finished volume 4. I like it as a conclusion, but it made me realize how far GU strayed from IMOQ's atmosphere and themes. If CC2 makes a new entry, I would prefer it be in the vein of IMOQ. I disagree with Data Drain's use as a conventional combat tool or being shown graphically as a cannon/energy shot, and doubly so as anything that would 'fit in' to The World's surface systems a la the eight phases as avatar user PCs. I have a feeling CC2 will continue to treat the series like a conventional shounen franchise though.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Okies I ran outta post space for my "changelog" so here's part 2 of it! This part'll cover stuffs still wrong with the games / localization, localization fixes, and oddities which I'd hope would be fixed up in a patch, but not the game breaking type to really fret & fuss over.

First post here: https://www.resetera.com/posts/676887/ covers the technical side of things. New LR changes, backported stuffs, and things which very much should be patched!

The Uncorrected
-
Shino still has the wrong color in early game cutscenes...
- In the News article titled "Day Trip to NY! ASST Begins Service" they use (1*) rather than (*1) which is used in every other article that has a note.
- Oimatsu & IGA still have each others dialogue (this was actually corrected in the original Vol.2).
- Several errors regarding Hokuto's first email remain unfixed ("Lena", "Emma Willant's", "her").
- The camera locking glitch is still present.
- The in-game timer still highly inaccurate.
- Forum thread "Job of Multi-Weapon" has retained that name despite the whole Adept Rogue thing.
- Terminal Disc: During Interim Report 3, its stated Cubia appears for a 3rd battle with Kite which is wrong. Minutes later this is corrected when Jun says "After a long and diffcult second battle...". This error is still present. (To be fair it could be considered ambiguous since its Kites 3rd time encountering Cubia but only the 2nd time fighting it.)
- Theres a graphical error in Temple areas where you can see a weird shadow in the sky a room or so before the Beast Statue.
- Vol.2: In an Apkallu forum post, The Divine Fist Ouka is wrongly called Houka the God Fist.
- Terminal Disc: During Interim Report 11, Gord is mislocalized as "Godo" both in spelling and pronunciation. also Sagisaka isn't quite right nor is B Set (should be Sakisaka, Gord, and Bset).
- Vol.3: In the Apkallu thread "Duck and Chim" the OP refers to Dol Dona as the "Eternal City" while it should be "Celestial City".
- Online Jack: in episode 8 "The World" login screen is shown and the version number 2.26 is on it. This is a continuity error since it should match Vol.3's 3.58 version number!
- In various forum threads people talk about the Medic Union members saying "nyan" but in the game itself they say "meow".
- In the Apkallu thread "Gold Bird" the poster ACE say the Lucky Animal "Moon Rabbit" is called "Moon Bunny" which is technically wrong I guess.
- In a "The World" thread called "Cloudy Steel and Cloudy Fur" the poster NAOO wants to know where to find a "Nobel Wand" when in fact it should be "Spell Noble".
- Vol.3: In a couple of emails the "Dusty Miller" item is instead called a "White Chrysanthemum" for some odd reason.

So they noticed! (Vol.1)
-
In the original version, the News article titled "Another Accident At CC Corp." is strangely re-titled "CC Corp. Employees Happy In New Office" at the top of the article itself. This has been corrected.
- Under Ryu Book IV you can view "Weapons", "Armor", "Accessories", and "Items in Storage". The last one being an error which isn't corrected until Vol.3 where it is changed to "Items". This correction now applies to Vol.1 HD.
- In the original version "Fault" was used as both Chapter 14 & 16's name. In the HD version, Chapter 16 is now named "Rogue". Which is fitting since this is the time when the Job Extension event appears.
- Hangeki is now displayed when using counterattacks in arena fights. Previously in Vol.1 & 2 the Rengeki text was used.
- Tri-Strikes rengeki text was changed from "Tri.Strike" to "Tri-Strike". (was originally corrected in Vol.2)
- The preview video for Vol.2 now has Vol.2: Reminisce! Originally it just said .hack//G.U. presumably because the english title for the game hadn't yet been decided on!

So they noticed! (Vol.2)
- The people running the Guild Shops in Dol Dona for Moon Tree, Kestrel, Medic Union, Trifle and Empireo have no dialogue. This is obviously an error since in Vol.3 they do dialogue when spoken to there. This has been corrected! No more blank dialogue!
- After getting a Job Extension one of the notifications that popup will say you've received a "Scythe Slice". Problem is, theres no weapon with that name! The one ya end up with in your inventory is "Scythe Shouxiao"! This ones been fixed as well! No more Slice!
The problem here is that Chim Chim Radar was the name of the item found in Vol.1. In this game it was called Chim Examiner. This has been corrected!
- Captain: Congratulations on your victory at the Demon Palace. To go to Hy Brasail, choose "Set Sail." Except its the Holy Palace you won in this volume! This got corrected!
- Captain: Did you have a good time at the party? To go to Hy Brasail, choose "Set Sail". This is said even
when you're already at Hy Brasail!! This also got corrected! He now says: Captain: Did you have a good time at the party? To return, choose "Set Sail".
- Pao: "I'll hold onto that Lucky Ball and Animal Radar since you won't be needing it."
The problem here is that Lucky Ball was the name of the item found in Vol.1. In this game it was called Lucky Sphere. This has been corrected!
- In the Japanese PS2 version of this game, "The World" log in screen displayed the version number 2.98. However in the localized game, it remained 2.26 which Rebirth had used. This has been corrected!
- The Vol.3 preview video doesn't have any subtitles. This is strange since the on for Vol.2 did. Well now it does have 'em!

So they noticed! (Vol.3)
-
In the Apkallu thread Cuteness Up, a broadsword called "Centipede" is discussed. Vol.3 wallpaper 038 also calls it "Centipede". However there is no sword by that name! That item is clearly the "Broad Legged"! This has been corrected... save for one last remaining mention of "Centipede" in the very first post of the thread!
- Pao: "This magical item is called a Lucky Ball. I invented it myself." and "If you can fill up the Lucky Ball with data, I'll be quite happy." and "I'll hold onto that Lucky Ball and Animal Radar since you won't be needing it."
The problem here is that Lucky Ball was the name of the item found in Vol.1. In this game it was called Luck Sphere. This was corrected by changing the items name to Lucky Ball!
The problem here is that Chim Chim Radar was the name of the item found in Vol.1. In this game it was called Chim Data Radar. This has been corrected!
- Late in the game after exiting out of a cutscene in Raven you'll be reminded to go to the area "Sigma Fleeing Dismayed Emotion". The odd thing here is that the area name is displayed with a purple font color which is strange since area names are always in a golden color! This has been fixed cause area names are now in blue color!
- In an even later late game cutscene there's a subtitle error in which the text "...Man, what was that all about?" is used twice despite not matching the spoken dialogue. This has been fixed!
- In a post-game quest a thing called the "Gear of Malice" is brought up. In dialogue form it has that name but in system message windows its called "Gear of Evil" which is pretty weird! However it is now "Gear of Malice" all the way through!

New Oddities
-
Voiced dialogue from IYOTEN and Silabus regarding the use of the former "Select" button (now the Touchpad) has been muted. Actually, it seems every character that mentions any button is a previously voiced line is now muted.
- The subtitle for the Blade Brandiers Sword Flash skill says "Shadow Flash". 11 year old mistranslation, or recent mistranslation?
- Vol.1: In the original Rebirth you could sort Bookmarks and Warp Records in the following ways:
Alphabetical
Treasure Level
Monster Level
Lost Ground
Guild
Server
New
Old
Strangely, the first three options are now gone. Also strange is that you can no longer sort your Warp Records. An beyond strange is that the original Vol.2 removed the Alphabetical and Server options! So why was the perpetually useless Server one kept around? (Strangely Vol.2 HD retains its SD version sorting options, including being able to use it under Warp Records.)
-
Vol.1: You can instantly open the menu upon entering a new floor/block in Caves/Temples. ...this is odd, but welcome, because starting with the original Vol.2 you had to wait approximately 3 seconds before being able to open the menu.
- Here's something really throwing me off: The party member status for "Online" has changed from Blue to Gray. "Offline" has changed from Gray to Blue.
- Vol.1: Rip Mumyn is now Rip Mumin. In the original Vol.1 both the skill name and its description used Rip Mumyn. In Vol.2 it became Rip Mumin. In Vol.3 the skill name remained Rip Mumin, but in its description it went back to being called Rip Mumyn.
- Vol.1/2: the first Alchemy Factory tutorial message uses [Cronos Spike] + [Cronos Spike] = [Cronos Spike +1]. In the original Spin Gai Gu was used... probably because there is no weapon in the game called Cronos Spike! This madeup/mislocalized weapon first appeared in Vol.2 where the NPC IGA mentions receiving one.
- Vol.1: Mumyn Lei has become Munim Lei which is just... what?
- Vol.1: Death Grunty has more lines of dialogue when talking to him in the Alchemy Factory.
- Vol.1: Canard Key: Guild master's key to enter Canard's Home. (PS2) is now~ Canard Key: Guildmaster's key to enter Canard's Home. (HD)
- Vol.1: Fortress Stone: A round heavy stone with moss on the surface. (PS2) is now~ Fortress Stone: A heavy round stone with moss on the surface. (HD)
- This ones hard to explain but basically the way NPCs are loaded into towns seems to have changed for the worse. It feels like its more efficient(?) to swap back and forth between towns to get different ones to load in rather the old log out/log in method.
- Vol.1: In a very early cutscene video "8 Months Later" shows up in the video. However in the subtitle it says "8 Month Later".
- The Movie Player pages are now 01 to 05. Originally they had used 00 to 04. Also odd because the BGM/Wallpaper numbering still begins with 00.
- The text in the ever-present blue rectangle on the desktop is now completely different!
- Originally when going through certain sections of Mac Anu the game would freeze for a second for loading. This still occurs, however the screen goes black instead of continuing to show the game screen. Ditto for the loadpoint in Dol Dona.
- Vol.1/2: There's a translation error which says you can Alchemize equipment which are up to 20 levels apart (a feature introduced in the original Vol.3). However if you try to do this, you'll be told you can't because Alchemized equipment only works with a 10 level difference between them. (not present in Vol.2 HD)
-
Vol.2: At the very start of the game, the NPC Tiphereth has part of her dialogue no longer displays. Text inside parenthesis is what got eaten:
• We're inside of "The World" right now (, aren't we?)
Ah, I don't mean that we're playing "The World" (, I mean that we actually exist inside of it now.)
I'm sorry, it's hard for me to say... Do you get what I'm trying to say?
• If we're inside "The World" now (, what's become of my real self...)
I hope this doesn't mean...that I've fallen into a coma...
- Vol.2: Whoops! The tutorial message about now being able to change party member equipment is still there lol. This was a feature backported into Vol.1 and as such doesn't make sense to display here anymore.
- Vol.2: When alchemizing, or exiting then re-entering the Alchemize menu may cause the space where Haseo's name should be, to instead be blank, the name of the party member you had last selected in the alchemy menu before exiting it, or some very strange characters/symbols.
- Vol.2: The level requirement for Spin Indigo is incorrect. It says 61 while actually being 62.
- AIDA-011:
-> AIDA < Anna >'s structure data.
-> Structure data of AIDA < Anna >.
- Cow Stomach: when attached to...
-> Dual Sword the first word in the weapons name changes to "Blunt". For all other weapon types the word becomes "Gravity". (PS2)
-> Dual Sword/Guantlet/Staff/Grimoire the first word in the weapons name changes to "Blunt". For all other weapon types the word becomes "Gravity". (PS4)
- Lance Angel: when attached to any piece or armor the first word in the armors name becomes "Rigid" in the PS2 games. However it is now "Deflecting" in the PS4 editions.
- Staff Angel: when attached to any piece or armor the first word in the armors name becomes "Padded" in the PS2 games. However it is now "Resilient" in the PS4 editions.
- Grimore Angel: when attached to any piece or armor the first word in the armors name becomes "Deaf" in the PS2 games. However it is now "Numb" in the PS4 editions.
- Fan Angel: when attached to any piece or armor the first word in the armors name becomes "Slick" in the PS2 games. However it is now "Droll" in the PS4 editions.
- Chaotic PKer "Lady Bomber Jahad" has been renamed "Explosive Gia".
- Vol.3: The text after collecting the last Symbol Fragment used to be "The Symbol Fragments have started to shine..." This has been changed to "Symbol Fragments are starting to shine." This slight text change found in the original Vol.3 is not present in the HD version.
- Vol.3: A monster once named "Captain Hook" is now named "Captain Crook".
- Vol.3: The Guild Rank 8 once named "Platform Heal" is now named "Platform Full Heal", the name of the original Rank 9 reward. Despite the name change it still has the same description/features and price of the vanilla "Platform Heal".
- Vol.3:
One of Cubia's attacks was once named "Jihad". This has been changed to "Mjöllnir" because???
Super endgame spoiler which idk why was okay in 2003/2004/2007 but not 2017. Thanks for breaking continuity?
- Vol.3: After the main stories over you'll get an email from someone called Ono and within it theres a difference between the old and new version of the game which also creates an error in the new version because there is no "thanksgiving" to select!
-> PS2: If you'll accept, please select "The Sweepstakers" in a Limit Battle in the Sage Palace.
-> PS4: If you'll aceept, please select "thanksgiving" in a Limit Battle in the Sage Palace.
You're a GOD!!!! So insightful, thank you.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm impressed with your dedication Lindsay. Marathoning the same three games twice back-to-back? And then documenting all the changes and times logged? Whew. Don't know how you managed it.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Vol. 1 last night with a final time of just over 16 hours. They really put the pedal to the floor in the last few hours compared to the rest of the game.

Started as a slog but definitely got better by the middle of the game. Enjoyed the game a good amount towards the end. Will start Vol. 2 once I beat more of my backlog.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Returner in HD sure is nice an clean compared to all previous methods I had of watching it. Shame theres obviously no subtitles but I've watched it enough times before to get the gist of things. What I won't get the gist of is listening to Innocent Call or paging through Ragtime lol. But getting through those are necessary processes for moving on to Vol.4 tomorrow!

I wouldn't mind a sequel with Haseo. He grew on me after 80 hours.
Looks like we gots a fresh new face in the Haseo Harem! Allegedly he still plays the game at least as late as 2024 assuming Vol.4 didn't retcon the third season of .hack (no spoilers!) so I wouldn't mind him showing up but not as the protag. The very outset of his / G.U.'s story doesn't even make sense to me in the first place!

He was a normal teenager with great grades, friends, a shoe-in for college and after that a place in his dads business. What "growing up" exactly did he need ta do? But then Ovan happened. Set him up to be PK'd on his first day playing only to swoop in to the "rescue" an from there Haseo was doomed to be a pawn.

You're a GOD!!!! So insightful, thank you.
Yeah, I'm impressed with your dedication Lindsay. Marathoning the same three games twice back-to-back? And then documenting all the changes and times logged? Whew. Don't know how you managed it.
I didn't do nothing special an someone had ta do it! An the jobs not even done yet! The lists will keep growin'! The differences between versions an errors are just lists of things I'd found built up over years of playing 'em on PS2, even found a buncha new ones during the october playthroughs! Having readily available lists ta look to for comparisons with Last Recode was no trouble! Manually tracking time played is what I do with pretty much every game that I know doesn't have a real-time accurate clock in-game! An although I had know way of knowing LR was coming, last year I played Lunar PS / GBA / PSP back to back an detailed changes along with positives an negatives of each version so that was kind of a warmup run to the insanity which would follow!

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand how I am still at lvl.6 of Ryu Book I. I never run from a fight. Been doing Rengekis and Awakening like crazy.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sooo I started Volume 3 only to realize I had forgotten to finish all of the Avatar fights in Volume 2. Thankfully I was barely an hour in so I won't lose too much. I've finished the Avatar battles but I see I'm still missing the 21st Wallpaper. What do I need to do to get that?

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I don't understand how I am still at lvl.6 of Ryu Book I. I never run from a fight. Been doing Rengekis and Awakening like crazy.
How could that be O.o? When I started Vol.3 all but two of my books jumped to Rank 9 aside from the item/monsters one.

Sooo I started Volume 3 only to realize I had forgotten to finish all of the Avatar fights in Volume 2. Thankfully I was barely an hour in so I won't lose too much. I've finished the Avatar battles but I see I'm still missing the 21st Wallpaper. What do I need to do to get that?
Sounds like ya didn't meet up with Kazubolo 3 times in the game yet. You'll have to re(?)-read the thread "My first time" an then do stuff from there.

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
Question about moving from Vol 2 to 3. Just finished Vol 2 and I don't have all the
Lost Weapons
yet. Can I continue to get them in Vol 3?

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
They're automatically given to you. You'll miss out on logging the unique monsters you normally fight them for in Vol.2 however. But if you don't care about Ryu Book completeness thats no worry.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will never not be salty that you don't get Sirius's member address in Vol 3. Like seriously, did we need a pointless party addition like Kaede as the millionth blade braindier we end up with, at the very end of the game too, when we could have gotten Sirius so much sooner as party member with a decent plot reason to ally with you too.

Last edited:

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
They're automatically given to you. You'll miss out on logging the unique monsters you normally fight them for in Vol.2 however. But if you don't care about Ryu Book completeness thats no worry.
Awesome, thanks!

I saw your reply yesterday and started up Vol 3. It was nice to see that the ones that I got in Vol 2 were already up to level 2. So that's a nice bonus.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Can't get over how ridiculously dramatic everyone is, the Moon Tree's story sequence before the second arena fight made me laugh.

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
Managed to finish this over the weekend. Quite a ride. Still processing it all lol but overall I enjoyed it. The cast did manage to grow on me, and I will miss adventuring with these weirdos.
Especially my boo Endrance, who is just The Most, 24/7.

I'm actually glad Vol. 4 is not 20+ hours.. don't know if it needed to be and lets be real (gameplay spoiler)
Half of it would probably be an Arena tournament like with the other 3 volumes.

Deleted member 300

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Might seem weird but what exactly is this like. Going from video in op the battle system seems like tales of series battle system ( only played berseria myself)

But what's the general gameplay like

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
Might seem weird but what exactly is this like. Going from video in op the battle system seems like tales of series battle system ( only played berseria myself)

It's an action RPG very similar to the Tales games. Gameplay starts out verrrry simple, almost to a fault. Literally run around and mash X to win, but it gets more and more complex as the volumes go on. And there is a second combat type that opens up that is pretty sweet if you're into shooters. Dungeons are randomly generated but usually short (15-20 minutes to clear). The game is very story heavy, so you need to appreciate long-winded cut scenes and anime melodrama. That said, they do a pretty good job at world building, and is overall a pleasant set of games to play through if you're into Jrpgs. On the easy side, but I actually liked that.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017

It's action RPG, but honestly the battle system is bad compared to any Tales. Gameplay in general was never the series' strongest asset, it's mostly worth playing for the unique setup and situations the story offers.