• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Kinda disappointing that this whole thread is school memories chit-chat instead of discussion about the conclusion of the paper:

PE doesn't actually make kids any healthier. $37 million was spent on the program being studied and it all might as well have been flushed down the drain. The only people who showed any benefit at all from these PE classes were people on the obese end of BMI, and since the average BMI didn't improve, that actually implies that non-obese kids gained weight after mandatory daily PE started.

If PE isn't making kids healthier, and it creates more problems with discipline and attendance, and there are zero positive spillover effects in other academic areas, and it costs money, what is the justification for having PE at all?

Very true. It definitely needs a major revamping. Health and fitness is important, especially in a country with a major obesity epidemic that's a growing public health crisis. But you can't keep doing things that aren't working and are causing other problems (bullying).

The problem is weight is always more diet than exercise Getting some exercise a few times a week isn't going to do kids much good if they're going home to obese parents and a house full of candy, sugary cereal, soda, TV dinners and fast food multiple times a week. Schools can't change that.

Best we can probably hope for is find a way to reduce the bullying (eliminate would be great, but you can never truly eliminate any problem behavior entirely), and find some combo of exercise training/education and nutrition education so that we see better long term outcomes after kids are out of high school and into adulthood and have control over their exercise routine and what they eat and drink.

I doubt we'll see anything done just in schools that produces results while kids are in schools at most are still at the mercy of what their parents provide them for breakfast, dinner and snacks and weekdays and all meals on weekends. But we could perhaps instill more knowledge and better habits about fitness and nutrition so they can be healthier after that and see more losing weight after graduation and make the "freshman 15" a thing of the past at least.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Looking back weight training may actually be one of the best classes you can take while in HS as far as life value goes.

My thoughts basically. I actually took weight training 2-3 times just to stay in decent shape since I was a couch potato back in HS. I learned quite a bit about proper lifting form, made some great friends, and pushed my overall running endurance as far as I ever have.

Overall, though, this report makes sense. I was tempted to skip middle school PE a few times during the wrestling section. I was okay at wrestling but got tons of anxiety wrestling in front of the whole class during the tournament we held. I won my first match somehow but basically faked an injury so coach would let me drop out of the second round. Just wasn't for me.

I also almost got bullied during another PE session later in middle school but, luckily, another kid consistently stood up for me during the whole semester.

So, yeah, I get it. I lucked out of a lot of bad situations but I know that isn't true for many kids.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm no athlete, I'm like shit at 100% of all sports, I can barely run 10k and even I found P.E. extremely valuable. It was only mandatory for the first year of high school, but I felt it beneficial enough that I took it every year.

There needs to be better ways to tackle the bullying that surrounds the class.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda disappointing that this whole thread is school memories chit-chat instead of discussion about the conclusion of the paper:

PE doesn't actually make kids any healthier. $37 million was spent on the program being studied and it all might as well have been flushed down the drain. The only people who showed any benefit at all from these PE classes were people on the obese end of BMI, and since the average BMI didn't improve, that actually implies that non-obese kids gained weight after mandatory daily PE started.

If PE isn't making kids healthier, and it creates more problems with discipline and attendance, and there are zero positive spillover effects in other academic areas, and it costs money, what is the justification for having PE at all?
I agree. Definitely sad to see that most people are just using this as a "did you personally like PE" thread and entirely ignoring the contents of the paper itself and not discussing it much one way or the other.
Was never in better shape than when I did summer gym.

Kids need PE now more than ever.
But if this is accurate, it certainly doesn't seem that PE actaully produces those results for most students. That seems to be pretty important information. Just entirely ignoring that and doubling down isn't really the answer I'd recommend in this type of situation.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I agree. Definitely sad to see that most people are just using this as a "did you personally like PE" thread and entirely ignoring the contents of the paper itself and not discussing it much one way or the other.

But if this is accurate, it certainly doesn't seem that PE actaully produces those results for most students. That seems to be pretty important information. Just entirely ignoring that and doubling down isn't really the answer I'd recommend in this type of situation.

It's apparent from the paper that PE isn't producing these results for the kids, but I still believe that physical education is important. The question is: how do we get these kids off their asses, outside, and away from a screen for an hour a day?

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, I hated PE. I realized later in life that it was mostly because I was underweight and borderline malnourished thanks to a poor upbringing. I was never in TERRIBLE shape but always did mediocre due to lack of stamina.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
How did so many of you just skip gym classes? Were there no repercussions from the school for skipping class?

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
How did so many of you just skip gym classes? Were there no repercussions from the school for skipping class?

We did it by being as fly as the cat in your Avatar

475.jpg

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I just hated changing in the guy's locker room. If you are going to make us sweat, who cares if we change clothes. Let that part be optional. It wasn't even that we had gym attire but if you were wearing say jeans and a polo they wanted you in mesh shorts and a tee.

Mike D

Nov 2, 2017
I loved PE class during high school. I'd always cut with my friends so it was like an extended smoke break between classes.

If PE classes were more diverse and interesting I think kids might be into them. Give them a choice between yoga and self-defense classes. Or hula dancing and ultimate frisbee. Something fun where they get to choose.

Last edited:

Melubas

Jan 4, 2018
I hated PE in school since I was an overweight nerd that never exercised (now I'm a normal weight nerd that hates exercise but does it anyway), but looking back I would have benefited greatly from it. I do remember feeling ashamed of how bad I was at it though. I fell down, had no ball control, and couldn't run any distance for the life of me. This was in Sweden however, no idea how bad it is in other countries.