• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah

During the 90s and early 2000s, few other pastimes were scrutinized more for their violence than video games. Spurred on by the bloody excesses of titles like Mortal Kombat and Doom, a generation of lawmakers, politicians, and parents took it upon themselves during this period to highlight the medium's seeming depravity, and try to hide it from developing minds. To them, the thematic content that the video game industry explored was bad enough on its own – but its willingness to sell this subject matter to children warranted immediate action.

Soldier of Fortune was one such series that came under this scrutiny. Developed by Raven Software in collaboration with the mercenary magazine of the same name, Soldier of Fortune garnered controversy around the globe for its intense level of gore, which at the time offered one of the more graphic depictions of bodily dismemberment ever seen in any first-person shooter series – a product of Raven's custom-made GHOUL modeling system.

Yet underneath the goriness of its modeling system, it also provided those that actually tried it with a polished gameplay experience; one that kept its player base thoroughly entertained well after the initial shock of seeing enemies blown to pieces wore off. It wasn't utterly revolutionary in the way that contemporary shooters like Half-Life or Halo were, but it showed Raven to be more than capable of balancing both style and substance – and left its fans appropriately distraught when faded into nothingness.

This is the rise and fall of Soldier of Fortune.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
How do you pronounce "GVMERS" ?
SoF was the first game that made me nauseated by its level of gore.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I played the shit out of the first game back in the day, especially the subway level. The gunplay, as far as I recall, was pretty good.

I didn't like the emphasis on stealth in the second game and I've realized as I've gotten older that its politics was much more problematic than its gore.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
First one was amazing. We replayed it so many times to see who got the best stats and time. Music was pretty cool too.

Saddam himself :D

He's here!

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot they made three of these. The first two were very solid shooters. The gore was just a gimmick but I agree with the OP's video, the gameplay mechanics were actually quite good! I think people here forget how solid a developer Raven Software could be? These days they are largely relegated to churning out pieces of Call of Duty games. At least that pays the bills, though, right?

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to buy these digitally on PC these days?

EDIT: GOG has them for $9.99 a piece

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
SOF2gamecover.jpg

I played this so much at the internet cafes after school back in the day

Oct 28, 2017
I remember convincing my parents to allow me to leave our 56k modem connected overnight so I could download the 88MB demo for Soldier of Fortune. I spent all that time and my PC couldn't even run it /(^o^)\

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, awesome!

First one was incredible with the limb-specific damage models. The demo with the train level... Probably played it 100 times.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't care for SoF 2 one bit, while really enjoying SoF1's single player campaign. The damage models were gory, but in a "Quake 2 engine", almost cartoony way.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't care for SoF 2 one bit, while really enjoying SoF1's single player campaign. The damage models were gory, but in a "Quake 2 engine", almost cartoony way.

Having human characters with their guts and bone sticking out just screaming in pain on the ground was still something that felt kind of perverse. Not many games to this day go that far.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Played SoF1 back when it released, and just picked it up again during a recent GoG sale for $2.49.

SoF2 I recall being a step down, but I'll likely buy that again at some point as well.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite thing to do in a SOF game was to kill an enemy with a light ballistic weapons so that they'd go into a canned death animation then whip out the shotgun and blast away all their body parts until only a piece of crotch was left and forced to go through the rest of the death animation.

....couldnt really afford a lot of games back then, you really had to stretch out the time you spent with the ones you had and find new ways to keep yourself amused.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
SOFII is what got me into gaming. My friend had a clan and we gamed on it. He had an SOFII server running 24/7 and kept Xfire running the background so we could join the game all the time. Man...I miss X-Fire.

Chunchun

Jun 9, 2019
February 29 is the 20th anniversery of Soldier of Fortune. I still think (or hope) that Activision and Raven will announce a remaster.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I liked the original game but really hated the second for some reason. I do have a soft spot for Raven titles.

Soldier of Fortune also received what I believe to be the single worst Dreamcast conversion ever released. It's insane how bad that version is.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I played the shit out of the first game back in the day, especially the subway level. The gunplay, as far as I recall, was pretty good.

I didn't like the emphasis on stealth in the second game and I've realized as I've gotten older that its politics was much more problematic than its gore.
Oh I don't see what's so bad about

"The Shop is dedicated to the preservation of peaceful society and a staunch enemy of terrorism. While they know no allegiance to any government, they hire themselves out to countries that have need of their unique services. Some would say they're in the business of solving problems: the kind of problems that just don't seem to go away..."

Oh.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
My favorite thing to do in a SOF game was to kill an enemy with a light ballistic weapons so that they'd go into a canned death animation then whip out the shotgun and blast away all their body parts until only a piece of crotch was left and forced to go through the rest of the death animation.

....couldnt really afford a lot of games back then, you really had to stretch out the time you spent with the ones you had and find new ways to keep yourself amused.

Reminds me how severed arms in Jedi Outcast would animate like they're still attached to the body, so you the unsettling visual of the arm on the floor moving around on its own.