• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah

The late 2000s were an evolutionary period for open world games. While the Grand Theft Auto series continued to refine the metropolitan sandbox, more and more titles were showing that the genre could work well beyond the confines of modern-day urbanity. Games like Crackdown and Infamous offered super-powered skirmishes set within near-future dystopias, while the likes of Assassin's Creed showed that there was plenty of fun to be had parkouring through cityscapes of the ancient past. The size of their worlds rarely exceeded those of Rockstar's opuses – but the variety of mechanics and subject matter they explored proved that this didn't always matter.

Among these experiences was The Saboteur, created by the Los Angeles-based Pandemic Studios. An open world game set in Nazi-occupied Paris, The Saboteur set itself apart from its competition with its swashbuckling tone and transformative color palette, which became increasingly vibrant the more its protagonist liberated the French capital's streets. While not everything about it worked to perfection, few argued against its uniqueness; in an era where most games set during World War II focused on hardened soldiers cast into the conflict's deepest trenches, and most open world games ignored the former half of the 20th century, there was simply nothing else quite like Pandemic's work.

Yet more unique than the game itself were the circumstances in which it was developed and released. For The Saboteur served as Pandemic's sole lifeline during one of its most difficult periods – and its swansong once these difficulties forced the studio to close its doors. This is the history of The Saboteur.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I tried that game recently. Nothing special anymore imo, I was actually a bit bored after a while. But this has probably mostly to do with how many open world games I played by now. I am sure I would have liked it a lot more if I played it when it actually released.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
this was a cool game. shame it never got a sequel. the only thing that needed to be fixed was the driving.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
Ah well. Need to watch this later. This is one of the game I'd like to have a remake. Or a proper sequel.

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
Big fan of Gvmers - for me it fills the void left by the long departed Machinma series 'All your History'.

AHK-Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Loved this game when it came out. The monochrome world that transitioned to color after you liberated a region was so cool to me.

Gonna watch some more vids from this channel they seem great.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I will watch this, Thanks OP.

I still remember jumping off the Eiffel Tower into the little pond for that achievement.

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
It's a really neat game, one of my favorite moments was hiding behind a building taking down Nazi Zepplins. FUCKING ZEPPLINS. Game is dope!

Thanks for sharing!

Edit: Finished watching, great video.

Last edited: