• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NPR

Disney World has been closed since the middle of March, but that didn't stop a man from camping on an abandoned island at the park.

A 42-year-old Alabama man was arrested on Thursday at Disney World's Discovery Island, telling deputies he was unaware he was trespassing and called the island a "tropical paradise," according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Deputies noted there were numerous "no trespassing" signs posted.

Authorities charged him with one count of trespassing, a misdemeanor. He was also banned from all Disney properties.

According to the arrest report, the man "stated that he had made entry to the island to go camping on Monday or Tuesday and had planned on staying on the island for approximately one week."

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Discovery Island super unsafe even not COUNTING the fact that it's an abandoned ruin on private property? Was it the one that got shut down because of the aquatic brain-eating bacteria or was that one of the other WDW aquatic attractions?

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Discovery Island super unsafe even not COUNTING the fact that it's an abandoned ruin on private property? Was it the one that got shut down because of the aquatic brain-eating bacteria or was that one of the other WDW aquatic attractions?
That was River Country. Discovery Island was just closed because they made Animal Kingdom and didn't need it any more. Or at least that's Wikipedia's best guess.

As for the thread, topic, is there a reason I should think poorly of Alabama Man in this instance? I'm kinda sad he got caught. Seems like a fun thing to try.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Discovery island being left totally as is basically is so bizarre. Like you'd think it would have been repurposed into something eventually.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Not quite. You're thinking of River Country, which was a water park, but Discovery Island is basically next door.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
That was just the rumored excuse. Discovery Island is in the same lake that most of Disney's resorts are attached to and it's waterway is directly connected to the same "lagoon" as Magic Kingdom. The real reason it closed was due to low attendance (since you had to take a boat there) and that it was redundant once the Animal Kingdom opened up.

Still, it's obvious bullshit how the guy ended up there. While the lake is easily accessible by the dock & surrounding communities, there's no way you'd get there without it being damn obvious that Disney owns it all

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That was just the rumored excuse. Discovery Island is in the same lake that most of Disney's resorts are attached to and it's waterway is directly connected to the same "lagoon" as Magic Kingdom. The real reason it closed was due to low attendance (since you had to take a boat there) and that it was redundant once the Animal Kingdom opened up.

Still, it's obvious bullshit how the guy ended up there. While the lake is easily accessible by the dock & surrounding communities, there's no way you'd get there without it being damn obvious that Disney owns it all

Yeah, it would be pretty impossible to miss all the Disney parks on all sides.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Florida man and Georgia man were getting enough attention. It's about time Alabama man did something.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Alabama Man properly social distances himself from the world, is punished anyways.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco

As far as I'm aware, there's no evidence that River Country shutting down because of the brain eating amoeba, but that is why swimming was banned along the beaches. River Country just was getting old and outdated ccompared to the other 2 water parks on property.

On topic, I really liked Discovery Island. I LOVE Animal Kingdom, but DI was much more intimidate, especially with how most of the wildlife seemed equally free to explore the island.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We had someone get arrested sneaking into the Avengers Campus construction area at California Adventure not too long ago

As an annual passholder I can tell you we're all more than a little antsy with Disneyland withdrawal

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Well that's pretty much the worst news.

RIP Orange Bird

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I want to know how he was found. There must have been a silent alarm somewhere, because I can't imagine there's patrols during lockdown on that lake that would have spotted him on the island.

If you can get to the island without being spotted I can't imagine anyone would find you until you wanted to be found unless there's still alarms there. Like, he's stupid for not realizing he was on Disney property, but if there wasn't an alarm to trip he's even stupider for somehow being caught there when the parks are shut down.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Right now there's someone going round and round for what feels like an eternity on the "Its a small world" ride. They're rocking back and forth with haunted eyes on a boat full of supplies crying and speaking into the void : "I thought they would keep me company!"

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
When I was in college, some classmates and I definitely snuck into an abandoned Chinese-themed park in central FL to film a digital media project. Park closed in 2003 and we went in 2007 or 2008 I think.

There have been places people have been sneaking into for a few years now, you can likely do a web search and find some examples. Due to this however they've had to bump up security because people may die and that would look bad.

And that there was that whole thing with Buzz from Cranimum Commando. Last thing I knew was that his accessories was stolen by an urban explorer and sold to some basketball star disney collector who had no idea about the theft-- when the urban explorer went back to check on the animatronic, he was freaked out because it was removed.

Nov 1, 2017
And that there was that whole thing with Buzz from Cranimum Commando. Last thing I knew was that his accessories was stolen by an urban explorer and sold to some basketball star disney collector who had no idea about the theft-- when the urban explorer went back to check on the animatronic, he was freaked out because it was removed.

Crazy, didn't know about that one. Have you heard about the place that had a rotting shark?

It looked like something from a horror movie.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I am almost that man's age and I can't imagine thinking "hey, I'm gonna camp on a private island in a closed-down park". That's something a group of high teenagers would do for giggles.

Apr 11, 2020
Just to clarify, Discovery Island is not in one of the parks. It is, however, located on a very prominent part of the Disney property. Even amongst the vastness of the nature reserves and scattering of housing estates that may lead to some confusion of whether or not you're still on Disney property, where Discovery Island is, there is absolutely no mistaking the place for Disney, no matter which angle you come at the island from. To make it over there in the first place without being caught by Disney security, you'd have to have at least half a lightbulb on in your head, let alone once you look around and observe your surroundings. As some others have said, there is literally a new resort being built right on the water edge on the closest piece of land south to the island, where River Country used to be. That is joined by the Wilderness Lodge looking straight at you on the water, the iconic Contemporary Resort with its two towers, and Magic Kingdom making its presence known there in the background, of which you can always spot from the other side of both of those lakes.

dimap.jpg