• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
So the aesthetic.. his brand? Just rubs me the wrong way, but that's on me and is superficial.

My first time becoming aware of him was years ago when I was living in the Tenderloin in SF. I was at my local dive bar when a group of people I knew came rushing in saying one of them got into a fistfight with GF and his film crew while they were shooting an episode at Tommy's Joynt. According to them (corroborated by someone I knew who worked there at the time) Guy was really unhappy with the fact these people didn't seem to give a shit about his show, deemed them to be fucking up the feel of the shoot, tried to get them thrown out, and a scuffle ensued. So that's my "shitty Guy Fieri" story.

However I also moved to Santa Rosa last year and my experience with him and his support and philanthropy in my new community here has been nothing but incredibly positive. So that's my "good guy Guy Fiery" story.
That SF story sounds awfully one-sided.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
I remember people shitting on him in the old place when he turned up after a hurricane zone with a giant grill and started cooking and feeding people for free. Apparently the fact he was using the one from his show which had his face on it and he didn't rush out to buy an anonymous gigantic grill rubbed people the wrong way and people in the thread were accusing him of trying to profit from the tragedy.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
way too much hate just based on appearance. but that's who he is and that doesn't make someone a douche or a bad person. good thread, op.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
I'd think he was a decent, goofy dude if all he ever did was give a bunch of mom and pop restaurants a ton of a great free advertising on a show for a bunch of years.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
That SF story sounds awfully one-sided.

It sounds one-sided because it's second hand and anecdotal, and in the grand scheme of things doesn't matter. I didn't dig deeper to follow up with Fieri's rep who I'm sure would've corroborated an account of their client acting shitty lol I've no reason to doubt the person who claimed to get into the scuffle, nor the person who was working at TJ's when it supposedly went down. Nobody sued anybody or anything. It's just one story and was the first time of me becoming aware of Guy Fieri's existence.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
As fun as it is to goof on him for his style, I've never thought of him as anything but a genuine guy and a class act. Nothing but respect for MY mayor of Flavortown.
Plus the guy kicks Chicago Deep Dish to the curb without a care in the world. Guy Fieri always on my team šŸ”„
Alright, never mind, fuck 'em.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
I feel this is very similar to what Jamie Oliver went through in the UK (and perhaps abroad, I never paid much attention to how he was perceived there). After hsi initial success there was a massive backlash against him. But then he started doing things like trying to improve kids food in schools and whatnot and things changed back again.

People still like to find things to get angry at him about though.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I was streaming Cosmos a few weeks ago and it zoomed in on NDT's head lighting up in a rainbow.

It immediately cut to a loud as fuck Food Network commercial break where Guy Fiery was screaming into the camera.

My hate is justified.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
seems like a decent guy but i saw him at a grocery store once and he tried to walk out with chocolate and then made the cashier ring through like fifteen milky ways individually. rude.

hydruxo

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
They always ask "where's Flavortown" but they never ask "how's Flavortown"

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I never got the hate, I even had one of our local DJs recently trash him and I'm like, he's not bad? I remember when the Cali fires happened, he went there with his smoker and gave the firefighters free food.

Plus, he gave one of my favorite taco joints a big push to the point they are moving to a new building.

Also, the hot ones interview is great, crazy all the Food Network people breeze by it like nothing.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I never got the hate, I even had one of our local DJs recently trash him and I'm like, he's not bad? I remember when the Cali fires happened, he went there with his smoker and gave the firefighters free food.

Plus, he gave one of my favorite taco joints a big push to the point they are moving to a new building.

Also, the hot ones interview is great, crazy all the Food Network people breeze by it like nothing.

His DDD show literally propelled many businesses. He also gave a shoutout to one of my favorite burger joints in CT.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The dude went to Hot Ones and did the whole 10 wings without drinking, didn't even flinch.

saw a comment on this that pointed out how nearly everyone on Hot Ones uses that final moment to plug their show or book or product or whatever, while Guy Fieri instead used that moment to tell people to teach their kids to cook instead.

Oct 31, 2017
Everyone always talks about Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives but no one ever talks about Guy's Grocery Games. Now that right there is a good show.
Guy's Grocery Games is a legit fun, great show. Both of his big Food Network shows are good honestly. And I actually really liked his cooking show, Guy's Big Bite, which noone ever talks about. ;_;

That said, I am still pissed that Grocery Games was the reason Food Network shit-canned Cutthroat Kitchen. Wtf Food Network! Both of those shows have a right to exist dammit!
RIP Ruiz, Eternal Champ
Carl Ruiz was another dude who seemed just like a genuine, good guy. It's a legitimate tragedy that he died, and is one of those "celebrity" deaths that I genuinely felt bad about.
His appearance isn't even his creation, it's something Food Network cooked up to market him. He's cool.
Eh, he had his bleach blonde spiky hair even on Next Food Network Star. So unless they told him to do that on that show, I don't think this is really the case.

I think his over-the-top, flamboyant/exuberant personality and style is just how he really is. Granted, he has gotten more enthusiastic over time just by contrasting early and modern DDD episodes, which I think is just a natural part of doing what he does for a living.

Schwarzbier

Nov 14, 2017
New Jersey
I find him so annoying and want to hate him, but he's legitimately a great guy so I'm very conflicted.

I just don't like his personality on his shows. Thanks for being a good person Guy.

Oct 25, 2017
Because why not?

Guy Fieri and Bill Murray to compete in live nacho-making contest

Bill Murray. Guy Fieri. Nachos. No, this isn't just a list of things millennials are obsessed with. The duo will face off Friday at 5 p.m. EDT on the Food Network's Facebook page in a battle for the ages: The Nacho Average Showdown. Presented by Tostitos, the event will be hosted by Carla Hall and feature guest judges Shaquille O'Neal and Terry Crews.

Fieri and Murray will serve as hypemen for their sons Hunter Fieri and Homer Murray, both of whom are chefs and will be handling the actual nacho-making. The elder Murray once famously crashed the opening of Homer's Brooklyn restaurant, 21 Greenpoint, and served as a guest bartender. He also opened an eatery in Chicago in 2018. The younger Fieri is the self-described "Prince of Flavortown."

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Was always skeptical of the dude. I just have a hard time believing anyone that was from a fraternity and besties with the kinds of people he's besties with (Jimmy John's guy and Kid Rock come to mind) doesn't suck somehow. He's done some good stuff so I'll give him that but yeah, I've always been super skeptical as he's always felt the opposite of genuine to me.