• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rev408

Dec 28, 2017
The only two pops I own.
I lub him!
TUYoBY9.jpg

Mar 3, 2019
Guy Fieri is MY president. I unapologetically stan this dude, hes done alot for charity and disasters and doesn't flaunt his name while doing it. Sure his look is easy to knock as corny, but the dude is 100 percent legit good guy/wholesome AF

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Last I paid attention to him he was getting shit for being homophobic and I had heard he was kind of an arrogant prick. I was disappointed cause before that I liked him. Was that found out to be wrong (I haven't paid attention to him in a while).

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
He appears to be a douche with the frosted hair and annoying catch phrases, but I think the hate only really started when that one notorious NYT review came out. I also heard some shit about homophobia, but that seems to have faded away.

Anyway, it's nice to see a kind hearted celebrity giving back to the world.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.eater.com

Following Up on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Disaster

In regards to that "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Disaster" story in which producer David Page accuses Guy Fieri of being an anti-semitic homophobic control freak with an irrational love of shorts and...

A source with knowledge of the situation also got in touch. Calling the City Pages article riddled with "omissions," "basic errors" and "complete fabrications," they accused the author Gregory Pratt of sloppily fact-checking Page's background and simple details about Fieri. They pretty much destroyed almost everything Page had to say, calling Page's recollections of events "fantasies."

As for being a homophobe, they called it an "outlandish" and "ridiculous" claim. "The fact that the only confirmation of this comes from a producer who currently draws a paycheck from Page is telling," they said. "Guy's own sister, who recently passed away, was gay."

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Was it here or the old site where everyone decided to shit on him for doing good things?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I really like his show. He spotlights a lot of businesses doing some honest, great cooking. And those businesses usually benefited from it. He came here to Virginia and every restaurant he highlighted became more popular (well I think one got sold, but it wasn't due to lack of business).

He's goofy, but that's his schtick. It made him wealthy beyond what many of us will ever know, so hey. More power to him.

Last edited:

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
The restaurant fund he helped organize got me $500, which is better than the zero dollars my actual job has paid me during all this, so hey, he's alright.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
which were the two Houston restaurants? That's cool.

he seems like an awesome dude and I'm glad people are recognizing him for it

the menu meme/jokes are still funny though

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
which were the two Houston restaurants? That's cool.

T-Bone Tom's, which is down the street from me, and Lankford's groceries. in truth, T-Bone Tom's has always done well, but him going to Lankford's completely changed their business. I had never heard of Lankfords until it was on DDD, talked to the owner and they said they were on the verge of shutting down until he came. For a couple of years after he'd come, they would have lines to get in because it became so incredibly popular.

www.foodnetwork.com

Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives Pizza, Pork and Paprikash Highlights

Watch Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives Pizza, Pork and Paprikash Highlights from Food Network

Kemah is fucking owned by Tillman and his Landry's chains, so it's massive that Fieri came to T-Bone Tom's and gave them enough popularity to compete against the massive boardwalk.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
T-Bone Tom's, which is down the street from me, and Lankford's groceries. in truth, T-Bone Tom's has always done well, but him going to Lankford's completely changed their business. I had never heard of Lankfords until it was on DDD, talked to the owner and they said they were on the verge of shutting down until he came. For a couple of years after he'd come, they would have lines to get in because it became so incredibly popular.

interesting. I worked in that area a while back, so I've been to tbone Tom's, but not Lankford's

ill have to look for those episodes

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
interesting. I worked in that area a while back, so I've been to tbone Tom's, but not Lankford's

ill have to look for those episodes

Lankford's is outside of downtown in the old part of Houston. It's a converted house, used to be in the middle of a neighborhood but it's all been gentrified so it's surrounded by huge condos now. It looks like a house out of time. Their burgers are the shit.

lankford-grocery-market.jpg

Handicapped Duck

ā–² Legend ā–²
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
His Hot Ones episode was great and made me like him a lot more. Dude is a good person and like you said OP, he puts his money where his mouth is when it comes to helping others.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I just want him to really consider at least one more term as the Mayor of Flavortown. We need more good people in office at the local level.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His taste in food may not line up with mine, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything negative about his character

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
The dude went to Hot Ones and did the whole 10 wings without drinking, didn't even flinch.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
He got hate? Thought he was just a meme because of his look and style. Wasn't aware people actually disliked him.

Years ago he and Anthony Bourdain really disliked each other and had a public feud. This caused a lot of people to feel the need to pick sides and naturally a lot of younger people on the internet gravitated towards team Bourdain. I think that was the source of some of the hate Fieri got.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I got the Era part wrong, it was back at GAF (apparently like a week or two before the whole shitshow went down) but there were a hell of a lot more than just 2 people shitting on him. It was pathetic and embarrassing.

Yeah I remember it. It was the wildest thread lol.

Serving good food for free to those affected by or fighting the fires, and most chose to shit on him.

Embarrasing thread.

Oct 25, 2017
Turning point for me was this little aside from The Onion years ago, which really concisely captures the way in which we collectively come to dislike or like certain figures for unsupported reasons.

Annotation-2020-05-09-201111.png

Even better with time as I came to know that he appears to be a genuinely stand up good person.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sooner or later the dude is gonna have a milkshake duck moment and it's gonna be real awkward.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
He was never a TV personality that I enjoyed watching, though I greatly respect him from many of these stories that I've heard about him over the years. Most of the hate that I've seen were memes regarding his look and style, but they seemed to die down over the last few years.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Years ago he and Anthony Bourdain really disliked each other and had a public feud. This caused a lot of people to feel the need to pick sides and naturally a lot of younger people on the internet gravitated towards team Bourdain. I think that was the source of some of the hate Fieri got.

Speaking of Bourdain, one of my friend's fiance was his personal chaperone when he came to Houston for an episode of his show. They don't show it in the episode, but he made her buy him drugs, because "lean" is part of the Houston cuisine. She was originally hesitant, but he said he'd get her fired if she didn't. So, she drove around some rough parts of Houston looking for codeine for him to drink.

EDIT: Actually, he tweeted about it despite it not being in the episode:

He was drinking lean during this tweet.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Speaking of Bourdain, one of my friend's fiance was his personal chaperone when he came to Houston for an episode of his show. They don't show it in the episode, but he made her buy him drugs, because "lean" is part of the Houston cuisine. She was originally hesitant, but he said he'd get her fired if she didn't. So, she drove around some rough parts of Houston looking for codeine for him to drink.

Wow, Shane Torres was two for two.

Oct 25, 2017

I've never really seen much of Bourdain's output myself, but from afar he gave off asshole vibes. I chalked it up to his whole culinary-bad-boy personal brand giving me unpleasant vibes, not so dissimilarly to how Fieri's Crazy-Town-reunion-concert-at-the-rodeo thing coloured my perception of him, so it's interesting to hear an anecdote like this.

People, of course, are more than what they do and how they behave in a singular moment; I'm not taking this as proof that my slight apprehension around Bourdain is now completely vindicated based off one second-hand story. The dude was troubled, too, which comes with all sorts of behavioural baggage for the best of us. But yeah, just interesting to hear something less than hagiographic given his unfortunate passing.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
I think there is a lot of merit to 'de-mystifying' some finer foods like Guy has done in his career, even if rebranding ailoi as 'donkey sauce' is going to make someone bristle, it helps people to expand their palettes. I never thought much of him one way or the other because I've never seen his shows but I did find the pile-on for his times square location more than excessive: like, it's a times square destination restaurant, what would you expect?

I'm glad see a television personality as charitable as he is.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017

Damn, he sounds like an asshole. I've seen people praise Bourdain and shit on Fieri, but today I'm learning it's reversed in reality.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it was in the past, but I barely remember any outright hate for the guy. Maybe meme'd to a degree I'm sure, but I feel like he's easily proved himself to be a good person so I doubt most of it was malicious.

Spinluck

ā–² Legend ā–²
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
A little I used to work with went to High School with him and said he was a very sweet dude.

Was surprised to find that the internet hated him for a short time.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
I roll my eyes when I hear of celebs being accused of being arrogant or stand-offish. You try being approached constantly to chit chat, asked to pose for a selfie, free t-shits or whatever people ask for. Constantly.

Whenever we travel in the US, we always search for DD&D restaurants near our destinations. Guy is a damn national treasure.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There would be so many asshole stories about me if I were famous. I definitely wouldn't be able to handle people constantly trying to interact with me.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
He's a great guy. I'm not into his food, but that's fine. You can't be all things to everyone. He has a niche and it works for him.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i dont know much about the guy, but i enjoy his DDD show. saw that he provided meals for firefighters during the CA fires last year. cool dude to me.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
So the aesthetic.. his brand? Just rubs me the wrong way, but that's on me and is superficial.

My first time becoming aware of him was years ago when I was living in the Tenderloin in SF. I was at my local dive bar when a group of people I knew came rushing in saying one of them got into a fistfight with GF and his film crew while they were shooting an episode at Tommy's Joynt. According to them (corroborated by someone I knew who worked there at the time) Guy was really unhappy with the fact these people didn't seem to give a shit about his show, deemed them to be fucking up the feel of the shoot, tried to get them thrown out, and a scuffle ensued. So that's my "shitty Guy Fieri" story.

However I also moved to Santa Rosa last year and my experience with him and his support and philanthropy in my new community here has been nothing but incredibly positive. So that's my "good guy Guy Fiery" story.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I legit love Guy Fieri. He is the comfort food of food television. Is his stuff demanding or refined? No. But sometimes you just want a hamburger.

He also knows his stuff, is an all around decent guy as shown in the OP, and is more self aware than people give him credit for.

Idk, I also like Nickelback and Smash Mouth. Sue me.

Oct 27, 2017
He has a burger restaurant on carnival cruise ships, when I tell you one the best burgers I've ever hadšŸ˜­

Ive seriously contemplated going on carnival again to have those burgers.