• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the internet hate machine has made a target out of him for years because LOL SMASH MOUTH or something, but every time I read about the guy, he's doing something really good. Latest example: He raised double his net worth to donate to out-of-work restaurant staffers:

www.tmz.com

Guy Fieri's Raised Over $20 Mil for Out-of-Work Restaurant Staffers

Guy Fieri's coronavirus restaurant workers relief fund has raised over $20 million.

The official Mayor of Flavortown joined "TMZ Live" Thursday and explain how he quickly managed to get $20 million into a relief fund. Guy says he partnered up with the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation ... and they launched the Restaurant Employee Relief Fund.

While reading about this, I also saw it posted that, to honor his slain lesbian sister, he officiated 101 gay weddings:

When the wildfires were raging in California, he set up camp to feed thousands of people displaced and firefighters as well:

www.cnn.com

Chefs Guy Fieri and José Andrés join forces to feed thousands affected by California fires | CNN

As the Carr Fire becomes one of the top 10 most destructive wildfires in California's history, renowned chefs Guy Fieri and José Andrés are doing everything they can to help feed the evacuees and first responders.

As the Carr Fire becomes the seventh most destructive wildfire in California's history, renowned chefs Guy Fieri and José Andrés are doing everything they can to help feed the evacuees and first responders.
"My team and I got involved. My son and his buddies, and a bunch of my buddies, loaded up the caravan from wine country and drove four hours up here," Fieri said.

I know two small restaurants in Houston that he came to. They were both struggling, small hole in the walls prior to his visits. After, they boomed, and prospered, and became city staples. He outright saved those businesses.

I know he's a goofy dude, his style is bombastic, his food looks questionable, and his eating habits are hilarious, but damn, this dude is one of the good guys and puts his money where his mouth is. I saw someone on twitter say that, as the mayor of flavortown, they have reported 0 covid-19 cases. True leadership right there. This guy is alright in my book.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like the hate died off 2 or 3 years back.

Pretty sure this got the ball rolling.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
He came to my small town and filmed an ep of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives at a tiny little Indonesian restaurant that my wife and I love. The owner said he was a super awesome dude. Apparently he grew up in the area.

Also his IG account with all the flavortown memes is hilarious.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's been pretty cool for a while now. People just shat on him because of the way he dressed and his general style but every time you hear a news story about him he's feeding people during a disaster or in general just being a good dude.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
No one actually hates Guy. It's literally just a meme, in every sense of the word.

People also don't hate All Star. Make a poll here and prove me wrong lol

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"People don't actually hate him, they just ruthlessly mock him and his looks and his style as a meme"

you people sound like you don't know what hate is. "Ironic" hate is still hate.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
When the wildfires were raging in California, he set up camp to feed thousands of people displaced and firefighters as well:

www.cnn.com

Chefs Guy Fieri and José Andrés join forces to feed thousands affected by California fires | CNN

As the Carr Fire becomes one of the top 10 most destructive wildfires in California's history, renowned chefs Guy Fieri and José Andrés are doing everything they can to help feed the evacuees and first responders.
I remember Era shitting on him for this.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
He's a legend.

TBH he is pinnacle "never judge a book by its cover".
He has forever taught me that and has helped me grow as a person.
Since then, I have learned to love his look and respect him as a person i don't know.

VsQArrU.gif

TangoTango

Oct 30, 2017
He got a lot of hate when there were allegations of being homophobic by someone that used to work with him. i enjoy DDD, but he's too much for me, and I usually mute it when I watch it. Also I can't watch him eat, it just.. ewww.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
He got hate? Thought he was just a meme because of his look and style. Wasn't aware people actually disliked him.

I don't think it was so much hate, as mockery after this old review of one of his restaurants went viral and everyone hopped aboard that train.

www.nytimes.com

As Not Seen on TV (Published 2012)

What the food and service at Guy Fieri’s Times Square establishment conjure is pure bafflement, among other things.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
"People don't actually hate him, they just ruthlessly mock him and his looks and his style as a meme"

I think what's going on here is that people don't realize that people legit disliked him a few years back. Since your OP frames it as something that's still happening, people are left wondering where this hate is happening. At this point Guy Fieri is a lovable goofball like a Jeff Goldblum type.

Last edited:

Real

Oct 28, 2017
There was a kid at our high school who was a Guy Fieri fan - and freaked when our culinary program announced that he would come to talk to our school's students.

he finally came, and the kid got all the spotlight. 60+ students wanted Guy Fieri to show him some love, an autograph, picture, or something.... and he just ignored him. It was such a bad look. The kid was devastated.

haven't liked him ever since.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
What about his restaurants? I always thought they had the rep of tourist trap and horrible food?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I assumed he'd done something horrible that I just wasn't aware of to get people to hate him but when it turned out it was just because of the way he looked I started side-eyeing a lot of people

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was a kid at our high school who was a Guy Fieri fan - and freaked when our culinary program announced that he would come to talk to our school's students.

he finally came, and the kid got all the spotlight. 60+ students wanted Guy Fieri to show him some love, an autograph, picture, or something.... and he just ignored him. It was such a bad look. The kid was devastated.

here in Houston, we have a local celebrity known as Mattress Mack. My sister has hated him for decades, because when she was in college, he was supposed to give a speech to her business class about being a leader, and he ran late, and the speech was basically nothing more than him repeating his catch phrase.

He's done so much good for Houston over the years, and when Hurricane Harvey happened, he actually came to our neighborhood, which was one of the hardest hit in the city, and rolled up his sleeves and helped out. We got to meet him, and my sister finally brought up how she had disliked him for his speech. He apologized and they talked more about it, and he asked her when it was. They talked some more and figured out the month when that happened.

Turns out, his dog had died earlier that day, hence why he was late and despondent.

Sometimes, life gets in the way, and we as outside observers don't always know the details. Sometimes it's best not to assume people are being dicks on purpose.

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes, life gets in the way, and we as outside observers don't always know the details. Sometimes it's best not to assume people are being dicks on purpose.
Good God, can this be said on this site more. If I had a dollar for every time someone assumed the worse of a poster simply because it was their default, I'd match my salary.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I remember people actually getting upset and making a big deal that he brought a smoker with him to make food for people during the California wild fires, calling it tone deaf or some outrageous nonsense.

I remember. People are just fucking dumb shit stupid sometimes. Dude showed up with what he had on hand to feed people in a time of great need. What's tone deaf is people doing fuck all telling someone else actually helping to improve a bad situation how to go about it.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.

Exactly. Dude is still being run over for dominating the cooking channels. People think that they lost something, but no other chefs would compete, and those same chefs and journo's would talk mad salty shit. This is where it all started for the viewing audience.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I thought people in general stopped laughing at him years ago. Now we laugh with him.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i think shortly after that meme review that was pretty funny about his restaurant, the tide turned and we all realized he wasnt so bad

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
We are all Flavortown

Guy is pretty much constantly out there doing charitable shit and being awesome. Uses his fame for good.

Not everyone has to be personable. It's fine.

His countless other actions speak of a strong character, he does more for other people than you are I.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Always liked the dude. Triple D is an awesome show. He can take me to flavor town anytime.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I remember people trashing him because he changed his name to fieri, saying he just wanted to make it sound fancy. turned out thats his original family name and when they immigrated to america they bastardized it to ferry.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's been as been in recent times since he's not in literally every cooking show for awhile now.

When he was everywhere though, I feel most of the hate just came from people tiring of him more than anything.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
no matter how much you like triple D the amount they play it on the food network is absolutely insane

like i dont generally watch tv but when im at my parents or something and im just lookin for some bullshit to watch literally every time on food network its a solid 3 hour block of it