• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering abot the player base of the network test. During the hours were Japanese players were likely still active, it was quite easy finding matches. Right now it's as slow as yesterday and I'm mostly getting matched up with players I already encountered countless times yesterday. Either bad luck or sadly the player base is quite small. I mean, it's a niche game, so that's to be expected. In the end people will mostly use lobbies anyway I guess.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I wish this had a tutorial section. I just want to get my bearings and find out how to dash and shoot like in Virtua On.
It's not a tutorial, but you can use the Free Battle as a training mode at least. Set the AI to be inactive and you can try stuff without things moving or attacking.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I don't really mind the loss of Throne Zwei since he's such a core part of Throne Drei's moveset. They gutted her way too hard in GVS for strikers.

There's a pretty steep learning curve, so just keep at it. The most efficient way to move is to boost dash then hop. It lets you move a good distance while also giving you some options to use another maneuver (step, another hop, guard) before landing if necessary. Just make sure to always be ready to hit the button.

Starting out, try to focus on shooting when you see your enemy going to land from the air while the lock-on reticule is red. Targeting is something that just takes some experience to really get used to, but you can usually just lock to the one closest and swap if nothing is really happening to see what's going on.

Game has some very light execution so just focus on the basics and get a feel for your suit's tools and when you should use them. Things feel weird at first but it'll feel really natural after you start playing more.

Thanks that has helped me a lot. Had no idea there was a block button!

OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
For anyone who's having trouble with the basics, here's an old but good tutorial on how EXVS movement and combat works (and totally applicable to MBON):

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I had my fill of the beta, even though I could go on for many more hours. The game is just that much fun! Even though I ended up playing against the same people in casual matchmaking (everyone else was doing lobby I guess?) at the end, I had a blast. Those were some good matches too with a nice variety of suits. The game is so much fun and just feels better than Vs in my opinion. Mind, I did enjoy Vs., but Maxi Boost just feels better in general. The two suits I liked the most (next to Exia, but that's just because I really, really like the first season of 00 so much) were the Crossbone Gundam X1 Custom as well as the Banshee from Gundam Unicorn. Those could be my two new mains. When the full game is out I definitely want to look into more suits though, because with so many available, it would be a shame to only play a handful. Too bad it takes until July 30 before the game comes out. Can't wait!

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm conflicted if I get the NA version, which of course supports sales in the West, or get the JP Premium G-Sound ver., 'cause of the music, and I feel like I'll be too lazy to do custom BGMs...

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I certainly did with GVS (don't judge me!) alas current finances won't allow that this time around.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Welp got another disconnect penalty and the time locks me out of the final hour.

The online in this game is so weird. Ether it's perfect or it's not and even then I get disconnected after great matches with no stutter at all. Then there's the disconnect penalty.

One one hand I love how strict it is, the time restriction builds from 2 minutes and the max I've seen it go up to is 1 hour and 34 minutes. If anybody is immature enough to rage quit, they'd either drop the game or find something else to do and that is a plus in my book since they won't be able to keep doing it to people.

On the other hand, if you aren't rage quitting and still getting hit with penalties then timer is INSANE. It would be liable to piss people right off and drop the game because they are being punished heavily for not doing anything wrong.

That's the only problem with this game right now and I hope they use the feed back to improve the online (I mean that was probably the whole point of the online beta but still)

But regardless of the connection issues if felt so nice to be playing a real ass EXVS Gundam game again. Like coming home after a terrible terrible vacation. Blue Destiny is still kino, Lalah is still best girl, and all is right with the world lol.

I can't wait for July 30th and I hope I see you guys there!

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I only got to mess around for a couple hours. I had no clue what I was doing at all but it was a lot of fun and I think I'm gonna pick this up now.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I'm wondering abot the player base of the network test. During the hours were Japanese players were likely still active, it was quite easy finding matches. Right now it's as slow as yesterday and I'm mostly getting matched up with players I already encountered countless times yesterday. Either bad luck or sadly the player base is quite small. I mean, it's a niche game, so that's to be expected. In the end people will mostly use lobbies anyway I guess.

Probably the best network test i've played. This is the ideal for me. Constantly getting matches in with next to no down time between them. I've never had to wait more than a minute before the game populates the match roster. Theres a noticeable amount of lag, but its not so much that i cant adjust to it.

Kimaris

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I'm sad that the network test is over, but I had a lot of fun. I've come a long way since the GVS beta, where my win rate was probably less than 10%, but in this I was well over 50%. You can tell they put a lot more effort into this release, like they actually subtitled the Navi's this time.

I saw someone on reddit say Japanese pre orders would get access to play on the weekend, is that true?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
So is there a survey to fill out or anything?
Yeah, but it was useless for any real feedback lol.
Like, it was basically:
  • Which Gundam Versus games have you played
  • Did it crash or freeze
  • Are you on wi-fi
  • What time did you play it each day, with no option to submit if, like me, you didn't play it between 12 am and 5 am this morning lol

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but it was useless for any real feedback lol.
Like, it was basically:
  • Which Gundam Versus games have you played
  • Did it crash or freeze
  • Are you on wi-fi
  • What time did you play it each day, with no option to submit if, like me, you didn't play it between 12 am and 5 am this morning lol

Huh? At the very bottom is a section on bugs and the options that were there were very relevant, in a addition to letting you type in other bugs might have happened.

While I guess it's a pipe dream to hope that people's written answers will be translated back to the devs, I imagine the poll at the very least could sent back to the team no problem as raw data.

OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Posted some gameplay vids from the network test. I had more from other units I was trying out like Atlas and Hyperion, but the gameplay does a disservice to the unit (which these probably do anyway, haha).

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I had trouble sleeping 'cause I dreamt about this last night... Gonna be a long three months D=

And I couldn't get my capture card to work on my laptop anymore, so I couldn't record anything, which made me sad.
... and today I realized it actually works perfectly on my Surface Pro 4... So at least I'll be ready in three months.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Echoing the other sentiments in here, the beta was amazing, though the netcode is lacking. MBON feels soooo much better than GVS, and it was great adjusting alongside y'all. Thanks to everyone who hosted and GGs to everyone who participated, especially the melee mashers <3

Can't wait til July!!

RiderKairuu

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly just gonna get back into Full Boost till July. I swear this series is one of the few I really enjoy despite not being super great at it.

RiderKairuu

Oct 25, 2017
Gundam Versus had an open beta, so quite possibly. There's also the JP digital version getting a month early access every Sunday before official release. Hopefully the other regions get something similar.
I hope so. I'm itching to play some more but Full Boost will have to do in the mean time. Damn I'm jealous of Japan getting early access, that's pretty neat.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I got an actual feedback survey on email this morning. This one was actually useful, and you get a free wallpaper for doing it lol.