• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ERA may think negatively about this old baldy from now on, but IMO he wrote women characters better than most of disgusting Japanese writers out there.

Plus Reconguista in G is extremely anti-war, rarely see in Japanese media now a day.

I think that it's commonly accepted that people hate Victory. All my friends into Gundam hate it.

Recent blu-ray collection sale said otherwise, not so stella but not so bad either.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is "Your name" any good? I kinda hate anime except for stuff done by Satoshi Kon, Studio Ghibellines and some Mamoru Hosoda stuff.
Absolutely. It's stunningly beautiful, and while it takes it's time to get going, it's a very powerful and emotional romance movie.

It's Japan's fourth highest grossing movie of all time, after Spirited Away, Titanic, and Frozen.

Oct 27, 2017
There's a famous quote from an interview Tomino did about Char's counterattack that explains more about his point of view.
5Eens34V_C18UndOCtR7hvGY-R3Coc5n8q4K7JikpSM.jpg

Although the original twitter source is I think, lost to time.
Okay I just saw this.

What in the hell is this guy talking about? This is so pathetic and gross it is not even funny.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys

This guy is like, fucking gross

And yet, and yet, I see lots of cheering and jeering and high-fiving. Well then.
Just reading about non-gundam Tomino works would drive you insane to how Backward Tomino are.

Even in some Gundam works some of his women potrayal is concerning and Gundam is so mainstream so theres some other hanď told him to fucking chill.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
There's a famous quote from an interview Tomino did about Char's counterattack that explains more about his point of view.

God this is so wild I went looking for a source but it's a translation and I don't know the original cause my searches all lead back to images of this quote.
I mean. Based on the other information about Tomino in this thread, it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch but geez. I just wanted to find out if it was like a quote from like 30 years ago. It wouldn't make it not appalling but I'd be able to contextualize it as "shit people felt safe saying in the 80s".

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Oh man people are discovering Tomino for the first time.

Remember how back in 1977 he created a children anime that had several scenes of Children exploding

There's also Brainpowerd were a characters backstory is that her father tried to abort her in the 9th month

I think this is pretty cool. Something I would even watch today, but as a kid I would have been thrilled over this show. I watched Galaxy Express 999 when I was a kid and loved it since it had themes that your usual kids shows didn't have. Edit. Given that Galaxy Express 999 was more then having people blow up.

Last edited:

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
kyoani may be among the best for not doing shitty fanservice but funny to go after them when they are horny on main quite frequently
fanservice isn't really the same thing as sex. WIth Kyoani you basically get a confession at most in their relationships and an obscured first kiss is probably the furthest they would go.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The most intimate thing Kyoani has ever done was the haircut in Full Metal Panic.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Today I learned that Tomino is a wild motherfucker. He says some off the wall shit. I do agree with his point to an extent, that romances in Makoto Shinkai anime are a little too innocent perhaps but I feel that way about a lot of romance anime. Nobody even kisses in most of them, I swear.

Ah, the guy who makes the worst Gundams. Yeah this is somehow unsurprising.

Love him or hate him, he created Gundam. I don't like any of his works though except maybe King Gainer??? The OP is great, too.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I always get the sense just with the usally slightly off, weird dialouge you get in tomino's gundams that he has a really weird view of how people interact in general

Deleted member 51646

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
God this is so wild I went looking for a source but it's a translation and I don't know the original cause my searches all lead back to images of this quote.
I mean. Based on the other information about Tomino in this thread, it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch but geez. I just wanted to find out if it was like a quote from like 30 years ago. It wouldn't make it not appalling but I'd be able to contextualize it as "shit people felt safe saying in the 80s".
I wasn't able to find a Japanese source for the quote, not even the rest of the same interview to put it in context. If someone else is able to, I'd love to see it myself. It was quite a while ago, though. Char's Counterattack came out in 1988.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone so focus on Tomino and not talking about how master of blue ball Shinkai is?

His blue ball animes so popular maybe why Japanese birth rate now so low (800000 vs 1200000 death rate now)

Japanese romcom should start make em go directly to peepee and weewee after they are turning 18.
No need 400 chapters and 1500 episodes of teasing, should target each other crotch since chapter 12 or something.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone ever mentioned the Gundam novels yet? The ones Tomino wrote when the original Gundam anime was struggling and which is closer to his original vision of the series?

I've got a copy. There is mention of public hair.

Deleted member 51646

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Everyone so focus on Tomino and not talking about how master of blue ball Shinkai is?

His blue ball animes so popular maybe why Japanese birth rate now so low (800000 vs 1200000 death rate now)

Japanese romcom should start make em go directly to peepee and weewee after they are turning 18.
It's not really fair or useful to criticise one person for an industry wide trend. Shinkai makes a certain type of film and the only one that this criticism is really about is Your Name. 5cm/s isn't that kind of story in the first place, Garden of Words is about an adult teacher and a teenager, etc. And them being films instead of lengthy series changes the expectations too.
Your average harem comedy or isekai deserves much more blame. As do the light novels most of this crap is based on.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The ones that Amuro died?
Yes. The pubic hair is actualy blamed for that too.

There's this whole spiel about how UC 0079 is more sexually liberated and the only real issue is that if a man or a woman has too many sexual partners they get labelled as a "playboy" or "playgirl" in a negative sense. There's an urban legend floating around among the pilots that if you have your lovers' pubic hair in a talisman with you then you won't die in battle.

Amuro loses his virginity (and weird virgin mind) when he has sex with Sayla. But he doesn't take get her pubes, so when he's shot down, they decide that it's must have been because he had no pubes.

It's been a while so I might have been fuzzy on some of it but I'm pretty sure that's generally how it went.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really fair or useful to criticise one person for an industry wide trend. Shinkai makes a certain type of film and the only one that this criticism is really about is Your Name. 5cm/s isn't that kind of story in the first place, Garden of Words is about an adult teacher and a teenager, etc. And them being films instead of lengthy series changes the expectations too.
Your average harem comedy or isekai deserves much more blame. As do the light novels most of this crap is based on.

It's a joke :P

Harem and Isekai are beyond redemption tho.

I'm a romcom (or just Romantic) myself but I still not sure current anime industry will handle it ok.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I also feel like noting that there are exactly two situations where I see the term "ephebophile"; one is when internet weirdos are making defenses of people lusting after underage anime characters, and when people are just neutrally describing Char.

The original Mobile Suit Gundam is by far my favourite but Tomino's one of those guys who goes in some weird directions if you let him off his leash.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ya'll would love Zeta "So, before I die, I've gotta make it extremely clear that I was raped, and that this revelation is supposed to explain lots about my character. Got it? Kthx." Gundam.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France

oAKNzkC.jpg

Seriously though, the amount of sexism some creators are allowed to spew is astounding. And to see people in this thread applaud it is even more appalling.
This is why I stopped watching anime some years ago, I couldn't deal with all this BS anymore.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
"And yet the boy's hand never reaches the girl's crotch."
Lol WTF, that's not how I expected that sentence go end, overall I agree with his point that anime romances are too sanitised.

That is just disturbing.
Is he talking to Hideki Anno?

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Now unlike the last comment which was more funny because of how it goes from 0 to 11 in an instant, with Anno in the background being like "i agree with this,"

this is just astronomically misogynistic and very disconcerting

I'd say Anno is very left-leaning, esp. if you consider who he is married to.

I ran into Tomino at a higher-end fashion shopping mall in Tokyo and was too scared to say anything because I didn't want to bother him and I was afraid he would have said something mean to me lmao

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now unlike the last comment which was more funny because of how it goes from 0 to 11 in an instant, with Anno in the background being like "i agree with this,"

this is just astronomically misogynistic and very disconcerting
The other comment was objectifying misogynistic crap too, and just as disconcerting. Something a lot of the users in previous pages seemed to miss. As a woman, reading it was pretty horrifying tbh. And I know lots of other women feel the same, as you can see in this thread.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, unlike the last comment...

Don't get me twisted; the first comment was still bad, but I can see the reactions given how just... strangely surreal and absurd that response was even 30 years ago (for instance, laughing at something uncomfortable that is also absurd is literally how comedy like It's Always Sunny functions; the same applies here).

The second comment is literally Tomino dropping his dirty laundry on the floor where even Anno is like "uh"

Oct 29, 2017
I thought this was going to be a similar comment to what Almodovar said of Marvel movies, but good Lord at that way to phrase it if that's what he meant.