• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There are a lot of anime franchises out there with characters sporting bizarre, nonsensical, or pun-heavy names.

Gundam, to me, is near the top as a franchise that has consistently churned out names that seem to be based on no real cultural orientation, only a generalized concept of "sounding western" at times. It particularly stands out because Gundam often makes some semblance of trying to be taken seriously or grounded. While we get a Bernie, Alfred, or Christina, the majority of the shows seem more like they were created by an AI algorithm that is struggling to understand human language while cross-referencing the type of names that Hideo Kojima uses.

That's given us such names as:

Dozle Zabi
Apolly Bay
Glemy Toto
Banagher Links
Anew Returner
Seabook Arno
Bright Noa
Sayla Mass
Lockon Stratos
Char Aznable
Jamitov Hymem
Full Frontal
Lancerow Dawell
Fixx Bloodman
Cancer Kafka

That's a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of the names I've come across.

And as random as they are, I DO tend to remember them. Years and years later and I remember Kamille Bidan, or Marvet Fingerhat, or Zechs Merquise, among most of the casts in each show.

I still have to go with "Seabook Arno" for my favorite, though. It's just such a weird name.
1d265f0dc73b35d64098f687a86ab857883db296_00.jpg

Anyone else have any favorites, or is there an anime out there that makes even the Gundam cast look sensibly named by comparison?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The weird part about Seabook Arno is that it COULD be a real name if you made Arno his given name and Seabook his family name.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Revive Revival is the dumbest... but I do like it in a cheesy way. 00 had a lot of these when it came to the Innovades.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I love Gundam the Origin but the names, man.
Like Ramba Ral and Frau Bow and the like are ingrained in me at this point but M'Quve always takes me out. Same with Mashymre, Beecha, Kacricorn Cacooler and Full Frontal.

Also Beltorchika and Jamaican.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gundam.fandom.com

Innovades

Innovades (悤惎惙悤惉, Inobeido?) are genetically engineered bio-terminals created by Celestial Being and Veda in Mobile Suit Gundam 00. They are considered the artificial versions of genuine Innovators; their purpose is to help prepare humanity for Innovation and lead humanity for future expected...

Grave Violento
Beside Pain
Anew Returner

Gaga Forces

Aurica

éŸ³ę„½ć‚Ŗć‚æć‚Æ - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I bet someone will post one we all refuse to believe is real, and then we'll all have to google it to find out it's from a 90s novel that was never translated.

Out of the dumb ones:
Bork Cry
Bring Stabity
Chad Chaden

Out of the cool ones:
Banagher Links
Char Aznable

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hunter x Hunter also has some absolutely incredible names:

Stick Dinner
Chrollo Lucifel (he's a bad guy in case you didn't know)
Menthuthuyoupi
Tserrednich
And so on.

mute

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Beecha and Mondo have always been funny to me. Not in a "4 vaginas" kinda way, but still funny. Also Iino.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Schwarz Bruder, just cause the way they pronounce it is hilarious (at least in JP)

Also Sai Sai Ci : I always hear "Sai Saci", Saci being a Brazilian folkloric character

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Lockon Stratos is so awesomely stupid. He is the brother to Edge Maverick.
He's also the only character in OO thats even remotly tolerable.

Same series fucking Saji Crossroad lol.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't one of the key gundams in the first localised series called Tallgeese?

That was the best, better than any of the human names lol

Oct 8, 2019
Bring Stabity and Full Frontal are the best because both anime were intended to be completely serious, and largely lacked a large amount of comedy.

As someone who's lived in further in parts of the states and seen all sorts of weird spelling the former is actually a name you'd see in a Deep South state like kentucky

The first few non-Tomino Gundam series generally lacked Tomino's names, so G Gundam and Gundam 0080 generally lacked the really weird names outside of a few names like Colonel Killing and Gundam 0083 was a mixed bag.

Now this I had to Google because it was so stupid you had to be making it up.

The second half of Gundam 00 falls off a cliff into complete stupidity, at one point they just used a gag in Beerfest as a major plot line. Another character falls in love with a super computer, the main character starts evolving into a different species, then the main villains top secret plan is a clone army of Bring Stabity to just ram their mobile suits into the enemy. The mobile suits dont have any actual bombs, they are just going to ram into our heroes.