• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game is more influential - Resident Evil 4 or Demon Souls?

• Resident Evil 4

• Demon Souls

Results are only viewable after voting.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. I don't see people saying "this game is a RE4-like."

Because RE4's influence reaches far beyond me-too clones. It influenced camera placement, aiming style, inventory usage, upgrade progress, boss design, level pacing, sound design, and more.

The notion that any Souls game has remotely close to the influence of RE4 is fucking hilarious.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
This poll result doesn't gel with Bloodborne's... which really makes me think that in another 5-10 years that Bloodborne one will look even more silly. But that's the problem with comparing a game that's nearly 15 years old compared to one that's not even 5.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Re4 easily. If you had dark souls instead of demons souls it would be closer, but still in favor of re4

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because RE4's influence reaches far beyond me-too clones. It influenced camera placement, aiming style, inventory usage, upgrade progress, boss design, level pacing, sound design, and more.

The notion that any Souls game has remotely close to the influence of RE4 is fucking hilarious.

Yep, it's not even close. The Soulslike is my favorite genre, but RE4 influenced multiple genres and a ton more games that Souls ever will.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Resident Evil 4 had a more immediate and lasting impact than Demon's Souls did. Both are huge influencers, though, but I do subscribe to the perspective that Souls didn't actually really take off and achieve a statement until Dark Souls. Demon's was almost every bit as quality an experience as Dark Souls was in my opinion, but the recognition didn't really spark until Dark when it comes to an industry-wide effect.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to feel like a broken record, but I'm still absolutely flabbergasted that literally nobody is talking about the social aspects of Demon's Souls that have unquestionably influenced many games and isn't restricted to just one genre.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
I had to vote for RE4 but I feel like its influence is overplayed here. In terms of camera placement it set the bar for TPS games, but the actual gunplay feels nothing like the modern cover based shooters that it apparently inspired. RE4 is about precision aiming as you're planted in place, waiting till the last possible second to run away, reload, or bust out a melee move, whereas the Gears/Uncharted evolution path is about running from cover to cover.

It reminds me of Goldeneye in a way. Its mission structure and objectives are extremely influential, but as for the actual control scheme of holding a button to aim the reticle, it kind of met an evolutionary dead end there.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
I had to vote for RE4 but I feel like its influence is overplayed here. In terms of camera placement it set the bar for TPS games, but the actual gunplay feels nothing like the modern cover based shooters that it apparently inspired. RE4 is about precision aiming as you're planted in place, waiting till the last possible second to run away, reload, or bust out a melee move, whereas the Gears/Uncharted evolution path is about running from cover to cover.

It reminds me of Goldeneye in a way. Its mission structure and objectives are extremely influential, but as for the actual control scheme of holding a button to aim the reticle, it kind of met an evolutionary dead end there.

I feel the same way. There are elements of RE4 in a tonne of games but Gears is the blueprint for every modern third person shooter.

The only other game I've played that feels distinctively like RE4 is RE5.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Nope, not seeing it. Third person games playing like first person games isn't any kind of revolution.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I feel the same way. There are elements of RE4 in a tonne of games but Gears is the blueprint for every modern third person shooter.

The only other game I've played that feels distinctively like RE4 is RE5.

I'm guessing you've never played Dead Space, The Last of Us, or The Evil Within then.

Obviously they all have their own flair, but all three feel very much like RE4.

And like ArjanN said, Gears is extremely influenced by RE4.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 4 had a huge influence over third person shooters, Demon Souls if anything created its own sub genre of hard third person action games.

In the grand scheme of things RE4 is the by far more influential release.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Also, other games did the shoulder camera angle before (hell, even ocarina of time have it) but like Saturn did analog stick first but was the 64 that popularized it, Resident 4 did it better and bought it's attention to the world.

And it is not just the camera.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Here's a summary of CliffyB's GDC 2007 talk about the three influences of Gears of War. One of them, the first notably, was Resident Evil 4.

www.gamespot.com

GDC 07: Cliffy B disassembles Gears, mentions sequel

[UPDATE] Lead designer chronicles a game's evolution from the first-person shooter "Unreal Warfare" to the best-selling third-person Gears of War; Microsoft insists sequel "still not official."

And another article describing RE4's influence on The Last of Us:

And here's Visceral's own account about how RE4 eventually turned another title into Dead Space:

www.pcgamer.com

How Resident Evil 4 led to Visceral making Dead Space—instead of System Shock 3

When Capcom reinvented their iconic horror series, it sent Visceral Games back to the drawing board.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a summary of CliffyB's GDC 2007 talk about the three influences of Gears of War. One of them, the first notably, was Resident Evil 4.

www.gamespot.com

[UPDATE] Lead designer chronicles a game's evolution from the first-person shooter "Unreal Warfare" to the best-selling third-person Gears of War; Microsoft insists sequel "still not official."

And here's Visceral's own account about how RE4 eventually turned another title into Dead Space:

www.pcgamer.com

When Capcom reinvented their iconic horror series, it sent Visceral Games back to the drawing board.

All three of those games are 3rd person action games about shooting monsters. I would argue Demon's Souls influenced far more than just games that share passing resemblance to them.

Again, Mario Maker 2 shows influence from Demon's Souls with its message system. I haven't heard a lot of arguments as to how RE4 influenced any games beyond its genre.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019

www.gamespot.com

www.pcgamer.com

While it's clear that RE4 influenced Gears, I don't necessarily think that translates to RE4 influencing all the games that Gears inspired. It's like saying Hydlide is a super influential game just because it inspired Zelda.

Gears popularized cover, blind firing, a dedicated grenade button, and so many other mechanics that we pretty much take as default for TPS and modern action games as a whole.

As for the other two examples, I would consider Dead Space and TLOU survival horror games, not TPS, and no one would argue RE4s impact there.

Oct 26, 2017
All three of those games are 3rd person action games about shooting monsters. I would argue Demon's Souls influenced far more than just games that share passing resemblance to them.

Again, Mario Maker 2 shows influence from Demon's Souls with its message system. I haven't heard a lot of arguments as to how RE4 influenced any games beyond its genre.
I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume that the message system was influenced by Demon's Souls of all titles, seeing as it's less of a message system and more of a feedback system. I'd argue the increased presence of social media and wanting at least some way of offering feedback for these sort of online games would be the reason for this as opposed to the Souls games

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume that the message system was influenced by Demon's Souls of all titles, seeing as it's less of a message system and more of a feedback system. I'd argue the increased presence of social media and wanting at least some degree of communication for these sort of online games would be the reason for this as opposed to the Souls games

It doesn't behave like other online communication. It behaves like Demon's Souls. Marking where previous players died and letting you leave messages for other players.

All of the previous Miiverse integration in their games felt like a light hearted take on Demon's Souls message system.

I think people have forgotten what a big deal this system was in Demon's Souls and how talked up it was.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
It's RE4. Game basically created the modern third-person shooter format that remains in use today.

Dark Souls has inspired a lot of tacky ripoffs of It's death system though, so I guess there's that?

Oct 25, 2017
There are like a handful of Souls clones outside the souls franchise.
And only a few non souls clones really adopted any of the mechanics from the souls series.

Mean while RE4 pretty much defined the 3rd person shooter genre for almost a decade.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
RE4 is the objective answer here easily. Most of Demon Soul's influence is really Ico's influence which is far greater than anything Miyazaki has made.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
RE4 redefined the 3rd person shooter. It is more influential.

Demons souls pretty much revitalized gaming during it's dark period. Had played nothing like it.

Both are trend setting games.

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't behave like other online communication. It behaves like Demon's Souls. Marking where previous players died and letting you leave messages for other players.

All of the previous Miiverse integration in their games felt like a light hearted take on Demon's Souls message system.

I think people have forgotten what a big deal this system was in Demon's Souls and how talked up it was.
Which I'd argue was more of a necessity due to the sort of game SMM is rather than them getting it from Dark Souls. The former shows where a lot of folk died, giving you a good idea as to perhaps how to better design your level next time, as opposed to the later only occasionally showing where someone at some point died or the ghost of someone currently playing

Did Dark Souls essentially have a forum built into the game, which is essentially what Miiverse was? The Miiverse functionality mainly just showed some posts from Miiverse or maybe a post relating to that stage or area. I'm not saying that there aren't similarities. I'm just saying I doubt Nintendo designed their entire Miiverse functionality based off of what a niche title did

I honestly don't remember it getting talked about much, tbh. It wasn't exactly a breakout hit like Dark Souls, which got more attention for its difficulty than its unique messaging system

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Which I'd argue was more of a necessity due to the sort of game SMM is rather than them getting it from Dark Souls. The former shows where a lot of folk died, giving you a good idea as to perhaps how to better design your level next time, as opposed to the later only occasionally showing where someone at some point died or the ghost of someone currently playing

Did Dark Souls essentially have a forum built into the game, which is essentially what Miiverse was? The Miiverse functionality mainly just showed some posts from Miiverse or maybe a post relating to that stage or area. I'm not saying that there aren't similarities. I'm just saying I doubt Nintendo designed their entire Miiverse functionality based off of what a niche title did

I honestly don't remember it getting talked about much, tbh. It wasn't exactly a breakout hit like Dark Souls, which got more attention for its difficulty than its unique messaging system

Here's multiple articles over the years comparing Miiverse to Demon's/Dark Souls:

This isn't some new or daring interpretation of Miiverse. It's literally what some people immediately thought of when they saw it.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

This is obviously subjective to an extent, but your argument for the messaging system is falling on deaf ears because to a majority of gamers and creators, it has nowhere near as much meaning to them as the myriad of things RE4 brought to the table.

I haven't played Demon Souls, so I couldn't tell you whether it (including its messaging system) started a continuous, traceable trend in an entire video game genre as RE4 did.

I have no idea whether Demon Souls caused developers of upcoming triple-A titles to do an about face and change their games up completely, like what happened when RE4 came out and led straight to Dead Space.

Maybe RE4 doesn't do as much as some people would like beyond its genre. But that would be like saying Street Fighter II is less influential than Demon Souls because SFII has limited reach beyond fighting games. It's obviously a flawed argument.

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's why I said it was an odd case but that's how it is 🤷‍♂️

"The Dark Souls of" became a meme for a reason. Nobody says "The Demon's Souls of"

Uhhh the reason being Demon souls was a PS3 EXCLUSIVE...

Dark Souls was a multiplatform game, hence a wider audience...

Dark souls pales in comparison to Demon souls and isn't more influential as you would imply. Demons souls did most if not all of what Dark souls did with more ambiance and direction. I also believe it looked better than Dark souls 1 too but that's imo

Only Dark souls game I enjoyed was 3... The rest ehhh.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
How on earth is RE4 credited with being the influencer to modern TPS? Max Payne came out 4 years before RE4.

Also, I think DeS's biggest lasting contribution is its concept of asynchronous multiplayer. It set the standard for modern singleplayer GaaS games.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
This is obviously subjective to an extent, but your argument for the messaging system is falling on deaf ears because to a majority of gamers and creators, it has nowhere near as much meaning to them as the myriad of things RE4 brought to the table.

I haven't played Demon Souls, so I couldn't tell you whether it (including its messaging system) started a continuous, traceable trend in an entire video game genre as RE4 did.

I have no idea whether Demon Souls caused developers of upcoming triple-A titles to do an about face and change their games up completely, like what happened when RE4 came out and led straight to Dead Space.

Maybe RE4 doesn't do as much as some people would like beyond its genre. But that would be like saying Street Fighter II is less influential than Demon Souls because SFII has limited reach beyond fighting games. It's obviously a flawed argument.

Pointing out that a game had influence beyond its own genre isn't a flawed argument. It's directly related to the question. And when its influence can be felt in recent games like Hollow Knight and Mario Maker (and for very different reasons), I'm not sure how people repeatedly pointing at Dead Space really shows how it did more for games as a whole.

If the question was "which did more for 3rd person action games" then it would make more sense to me.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I might have voted for Dark Souls but no way for Demon Souls... Everyone always compares things to Dark Souls.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Pointing out that a game had influence beyond its own genre isn't a flawed argument. It's directly related to the question. And when its influence can be felt in recent games like Hollow Knight and Mario Maker (and for very different reasons), I'm not sure how people repeatedly pointing at Dead Space really shows how it did more for games as a whole.

If the question was "which did more for 3rd person action games" then it would make more sense to me.

You were wondering why others were having a hard time seeing the point you were trying to make. I told you why.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Uhhh the reason being Demon souls was a PS3 EXCLUSIVE...

Dark Souls was a multiplatform game, hence a wider audience...

Dark souls pales in comparison to Demon souls and isn't more influential as you would imply. Demons souls did most if not all of what Dark souls did with more ambiance and direction. I also believe it looked better than Dark souls 1 too but that's imo

Only Dark souls game I enjoyed was 3... The rest ehhh.
Except Demon Souls is very much inferior when compared to Dark Souls 1. Fact.

On the topic, Soulsborne has been a thousand times more influential then the Resident Evil series this generation.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The asynchronous online system of Demon's Souls in particular gained a lot of traction around the industry, but like others have said, it's just not even close.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To be fair. GTA, Elder Scrolls, AC series, COD MW are more influential than demons souls, let alone RE 4