• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I started this today, and after 7 hours, it feels like the game hasn't even started yet. It's fun, but a little slow, and there are a shitload of cutscenes. The localization is bad fan-translation level, it's serviceable, but the dialogue is not natural in any way, so that takes away a lot of enjoyment of the story, and I find myself not caring about it at all. Combat is fun, but even on normal the enemies are a bit too spongy, kinda wish I started on easy. The game is also kind of light on RPG elements so far, you can barely find any gear and leveling up is not even noticeable other than a skill point every few levels.

I know I'm really early in the game, but I wish it was opening up a little faster. I've been getting crafting materials since the start of the game, and I still can't craft anything. Same with seeds. And I imagine there are still other mechanics/skills that are unavailable for me right now (I only just got teleportation).

The game also runs kind of bad for me, although my PC is like 5 years old at this point. There is no VSync option, so the game tears and stutters for me even when it's running at a stable 60 FPS.

I'd say it's still worth it for the price, because despite my problems with it, it's still fun and will probably get better as I progress further, but I was expecting a little more after the overwhelmingly positive feedback in this thread.

These are my identical impressions after about the sane amount of time. I mean, it was cheap so I'm glad I got it but due to the stuttering at 60fps, stiff/awkward translation, and the game being so so slow to introduce new game elements, I've stopped playing the last few days. I really hope there is WAY more loot later on - I've gotten ...wait have I gotten a single piece of equipment yet at all? Not sure lol. The first city is huge and nice looking but there are hardly any NPCs you can talk with and I don't think I found hardly any houses to enter and no shops. And yes Normal difficulty enemies are not easy. And there is very little healing at the start (items you forage , no spells yet) so it seems you could get really screwed if the start is too hard for you.

lots of little grievances add up to a general"ehhhh" feeling. However, the game does have positives, and the potential to improve nearly everything I mentioned here. I actually expect most of this to get better over time. I just gotta get myself there!

6.5/10 so far, room for improvement that will probably happen in due time :)

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Bought it just now and am currently installing. In terms of control, Keyboard + Mouse or controller? For example, I played the Arkham games without problems using Mouse & Keyboard, how would this compare to those?

hqydd

Nov 22, 2019
These are my identical impressions after about the sane amount of time. I mean, it was cheap so I'm glad I got it but due to the stuttering at 60fps, stiff/awkward translation, and the game being so so slow to introduce new game elements, I've stopped playing the last few days. I really hope there is WAY more loot later on - I've gotten ...wait have I gotten a single piece of equipment yet at all? Not sure lol. The first city is huge and nice looking but there are hardly any NPCs you can talk with and I don't think I found hardly any houses to enter and no shops. And yes Normal difficulty enemies are not easy. And there is very little healing at the start (items you forage , no spells yet) so it seems you could get really screwed if the start is too hard for you.

lots of little grievances add up to a general"ehhhh" feeling. However, the game does have positives, and the potential to improve nearly everything I mentioned here. I actually expect most of this to get better over time. I just gotta get myself there!

6.5/10 so far, room for improvement that will probably happen in due time :)
Not sure if you know it or not, the skill "stormgale" has the effect of convert damage to health if you reinforce it, and that can help a lot with the healing problem.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Not sure if you know it or not, the skill "stormgale" has the effect of convert damage to health if you reinforce it, and that can help a lot with the healing problem.
Omg no I didn't know that?!?! Damn that would have made my life easier a couple times. I must not have read all the skill descriptions thanks !

hqydd

Nov 22, 2019
Omg no I didn't know that?!?! Damn that would have made my life easier a couple times. I must not have read all the skill descriptions thanks !
I'm happy to be of help.
Besides, once the home system is unlocked, you can make use of healing and other useful combat skills of pact monsters. I only realized it at about 2/3 of the game...

viral

Oct 25, 2017
I played for about another 10 hours since my last post, and while the game got a lot better, my original points mostly still stand. The "home" system is fun with the crafting, farming and recruitment stuff, and the combat got a little more complex with the pact spells (I just wish they weren't so awkward to use). I still think enemies have way too much HP - it's not even about them being hard, because most of the time I can finish a fight with full HP, it's just really tedious to fight the same enemy for minutes without it actually being a challenge. I recommend everyone to start this on easy.

I also started skipping the cutscenes, because I really can't be bothered to sit through badly translated cutscenes every 10 minutes, and while it kinda sucks that I have no clue what's happening anymore, I feel like my enjoyment of the game went up a lot.

Also, can anyone tell me what's up with teammate skills? They're learning new skills all the time, and there's that hotkey menu with "Healing Skill", etc where I can set up 3 spells/passives per teammate, but how can I actually use these? Or are they just automatic? I also learnt a Team Skill a long time, but have no clue how to use it. I looked at the key settings, and apparently the D-Pad buttons are supposed to do something with the skills, but they don't do anything for me. Did I miss something?

Bought it just now and am currently installing. In terms of control, Keyboard + Mouse or controller? For example, I played the Arkham games without problems using Mouse & Keyboard, how would this compare to those?

I'm playing it with a controller, and it works fine but there are a few awkward button combinations, a few unavailable hotkeys and the menus can be pretty bad at times. I think it was made with mouse/keyboard in mind, so it probably works a lot better with them.

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I also started skipping the cutscenes, because I really can't be bothered to sit through badly translated cutscenes every 10 minutes, and while it kinda sucks that I have no clue what's happening anymore, I feel like my enjoyment of the game went up a lot.

I feel the localization itself is not a big problem. I think there is a problem with the typical "a/the" problem when translating Chinese to English, but most of the translation itself fits to what the characters are saying or is localized good enough (like bu cuo=yes instead of "not wrong").

I think the bigger problem is typical Wuxia-Fantasy lingo together with old-style Chinese honorifics, which some people are not too familiar with.

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are just a lot of wuxia stuff in the dialogues, just press X to speed them up, it's the typical wuxia stuff where they take their sweet time explaining how their world/power works half of the time and they talk slow, it gets better when it starts to focus on the characters instead.

Game is much more fun after unlocking the base, it really adds a lot, I actually don't mind the board quests because most of them just have you craft items for them and I actually enjoy the crafting aspect, especially that you can get new accessories and outfits. I've also started using the pets more in combat.

One thing I appreciate is that the town and NPCs layout/dialogues seem to change as you progress, and they're all voiced, everytime I go back I've noticed something different, but I waste so much time stopping and looking at the scenery instead of progressing through the game.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Think I may grab this, never knew about it before seeing this thread. Looks chock-full of content especially for the price.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
There are just a lot of wuxia stuff in the dialogues, just press X to speed them up, it's the typical wuxia stuff where they take their sweet time explaining how their world/power works half of the time and they talk slow, it gets better when it starts to focus on the characters instead.
Yeah, the worst dialogue is when they're explaining stuff. I swear Yun sometimes descends into gibberish, not because she's not making sense but because the structure is so wrong.

Other than that, it's mostly the typical minor issues that come with translating to English (like problems with tense or possessive language). It gets annoying sometimes, but it's absolutely not a "literal" translation like somebody posted above.

I'm usually a purist, but for a translation of a Chinese game with this much text in less than a year, I'd say they did a fairly decent job.

Game is much more fun after unlocking the base, it really adds a lot, I actually don't mind the board quests because most of them just have you craft items for them and I actually enjoy the crafting aspect, especially that you can get new accessories and outfits. I've also started using the pets more in combat.
I can already tell I'm going to sink way too many hours into it. Especially when you realize you can set them up to be largely self-sufficient (the pact creatures usually have really basic needs).

The pact abilities level up when you use them in combat, though targeting them is really more trouble than it's worth (since they always spawn in front of you in the direction you're facing, even when you're locked on to a target, and most enemies move around too much to get hit). But it's worth leveling up the healing skill, and any ones that just do circular AoE damage (the soilclaw is one of my favorites so far); the ones that are a line or a cone are too unreliable IMO.

One thing I appreciate is that the town and NPCs layout/dialogues seem to change as you progress, and they're all voiced, everytime I go back I've noticed something different, but I waste so much time stopping and looking at the scenery instead of progressing through the game.
It keeps changing throughout. Also, the diaries and other notices also change, and they have a lot of story about the towns and the people (the diaries actually correspond to the stories of the various people that are talking around the town).

Combined, they give out a lot of information on current events and history for each of the places. It's some of the best dialogue in the game.

Last edited:

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Tell me the scraps in Nameless Cave is safe to skip.

Also, where the heck is the second treasure? is this in the Cloister or Skyelk? I have no idea what I'm looking for and there is so much walking around.

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

Also, where the heck is the second treasure? is this in the Cloister or Skyelk? I have no idea what I'm looking for and there is so much walking around.

There is a treasure when you follow that whale thing in the cloister and a treasure you can not reach yet until you get a new ability later on.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
You need to get the first two notes (you can never return to the first half of the area). The last three notes can be done at any time (though if you spam the search skill, they should be easy to find—none of them are hidden or anything).

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game in 26 hours. I have no clue what the story was all about because I skipped most of the cutscenes (can anyone give me a TLDR though? :D), but it was a fun game nevertheless. I actually thought it would be longer because I still had a ton of stuff I haven't unlocked in the home area yet, and the map still had plenty of space on it. I did most of the side quests I could, but never bothered to farm materials for them.

In the end, I liked the game, definitely worth the 15 bucks, but I feel like it could have been a lot better. The combat is really fun, but you can pretty much get away with only using 2 skills the whole time, equipment is too scarce, and while the crafting stuff is fun, it doesn't really have any impact on your strength (I finished the game with level 1 gems and some shitty armor I crafted hours ago). The difficulty is pretty unbalanced, normal mobs have way too much hp, some mid-game bosses are pretty hard, but the last few bosses are a joke, at least on normal. There are also a lot of reused maps in the second half of the game, which I didn't really like.

This would be a really great game if the combat was a little more balanced, if the crafting was a little more meaningful, if it had less reused areas and if the (forced) platforming was better. I would recommend it if you're into the Chinese aesthetic, because the game is really pretty, and there is a good variance in how the zones look.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Finished the game in 26 hours. I have no clue what the story was all about because I skipped most of the cutscenes (can anyone give me a TLDR though? :D), but it was a fun game nevertheless. I actually thought it would be longer because I still had a ton of stuff I haven't unlocked in the home area yet, and the map still had plenty of space on it. I did most of the side quests I could, but never bothered to farm materials for them.

In the end, I liked the game, definitely worth the 15 bucks, but I feel like it could have been a lot better. The combat is really fun, but you can pretty much get away with only using 2 skills the whole time, equipment is too scarce, and while the crafting stuff is fun, it doesn't really have any impact on your strength (I finished the game with level 1 gems and some shitty armor I crafted hours ago). The difficulty is pretty unbalanced, normal mobs have way too much hp, some mid-game bosses are pretty hard, but the last few bosses are a joke, at least on normal. There are also a lot of reused maps in the second half of the game, which I didn't really like.

This would be a really great game if the combat was a little more balanced, if the crafting was a little more meaningful, if it had less reused areas and if the (forced) platforming was better. I would recommend it if you're into the Chinese aesthetic, because the game is really pretty, and there is a good variance in how the zones look.
How Many Act the Game Have??

i'm still on Act 1

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I am not that far yet into the game (around 6 hours, just entered the Cave) but some more or less initial thoughts:

- This game look so damn good, my god.
- The combat is fun. The two closest things I have are probably Kingdom Hearts and Blade & Soul (and pure action games like DMC or Ninja Gaiden, but I haven't played any of thise since Ninja Gaiden Sigma 3 came out), but it feels a bit more unrefined. Stuff like no shortcut for useable items, instead a quick menu which pauses the game just feels wrong.
- I hope we get more enemy variety later. So far, I haven't seen more than 2 different mobs per area (well, 3 in the woods/marsh but 1 of those was only there for story battles). The game doesn't seem to have that many different enemies, instead it looks to go a route similar to Kingdom Hearts, so that even early enemies still appear later on. On that regard, enemies so far feel rather unimpressive, with all of them only having 1-2 skills/specials so far (still early though).
- While I am sure I will unlock a fast travel/teleport/backtracking at some point, I hope it comes sooner rather than later, just so I actually have a chance to finish a quest for which I need fish I couldn't get in the area where the quest was - I got those even earlier and couldn't go back by then.

So far I like the game, there are just small parts that feel, let's say, unrefined and maybe a bit clunky. Overall it's still a really good impression after ~6 hours.

I play on hard mode btw.

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in act3 with the
demons invading town
part, I'm enjoying the characters more at this point of the game and I'm hoping it doesn't end too soon because I don't feel like a lot of the characters they introduced in act 1 and 2 have given enough screen time.

It controls really well for the most part especially in combat, I think one thing that needs change is that the walking animation has the same problem as the witcher 3 (before they patched it) where your character will have a few frames of animations whenever you stop moving, it's the one thing that makes the platforming clunky.

Enemy variety is probably the major downside of the game, but they overall did a pretty decent job mixing things up with the skill tree that you could respec however you want along with additional pet abilities, and keeping the combos up is pretty fun, I didn't find that the normal mobs take too long to kill ever since more of the game opened up.

The environments are so good looking.

Some of the bosses are really fun to fight.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question, but what do I press here fam:
SLiByWv.jpg

It's been a while since I last played and can't remember the controls lol.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I recently picked up a new laptop with a 9th-gen i5 8GB pf RAM and 3GB 1050. Think this would run decently on it? I don't need max settings but something like medium would be nice

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Enemy variety is probably the major downside of the game, but they overall did a pretty decent job mixing things up with the skill tree that you could respec however you want along with additional pet abilities, and keeping the combos up is pretty fun, I didn't find that the normal mobs take too long to kill ever since more of the game opened up.
This actually doesn't bother me so much, simply because the game keeps up a brisk pace (there are only 2 or 3 types per zone, but the game moves you between so many zones that there isn't time for any individual one to get stale).

Even though a lot of the enemy types look similar (probably to cut down on animation costs), they all have different skills that prevent it from getting too repetitive.

I recently picked up a new laptop with a 9th-gen i5 8GB pf RAM and 3GB 1050. Think this would run decently on it? I don't need max settings but something like medium would be nice
Well, the minimum requirements are an i5 4xxx, 8GB, and a 750Ti (lol), so I'd think it would run fine for you (at 1080p). The game isn't too demanding, and there's a range of settings you can toggle to see what works best for you.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I decided to jump in, it's 66% off on steam. Hopefully my worries of malware/spyware on an always online single player game are unfounded.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Wow, you guys weren't kidding, this game is legit. Not at a AAA Western or Japanese level obviously, but really really not Janky at all. Color me surprised. Have any of you guys gotten around to finishing it?

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Wow, you guys weren't kidding, this game is legit. Not at a AAA Western or Japanese level obviously, but really really not Janky at all. Color me surprised. Have any of you guys gotten around to finishing it?

Game is huge and I keep getting distracted. I will say that the combat doesn't really hold up for me but beyond that I think the game is fantastic.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So I did pick the game up for Christmas and checked it out for an hour or so before I went back to what I was currently playing.

Today I felt like playing this and I am getting Application load error 3:0000065432 and can't boot the game.
Googled a bit and ended up re-installing steam and re-downloading the game, the issue is still there -_-

Anyone got any idea how to fix this?

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
It's based on nothing, just a guess but:

Maybe the authentication Servers aren't running because of Corona?

Reveirg

Nov 20, 2017
Finally getting around to play this. Really enjoying it, but having a hard time following the story, mainly due to the poor localization.

Can anyone give me a small rundown of the setting and the story for the first hours?

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
You need to know a bit about chinese mythology.
Usually there is a "heaven" and "mortal world". In Heaven gods live and in the mortal world humans.

So
in the first hour you play as one of the current "Kings" of the Heaven place, but he dies. So you play as his brother, who loved to live in the human world and despises the heaven world who now should take over. In that cloyster area you notice something is strange though and that the barrier that protects the heaven world from the demons is slowly crumbling and you dont know why.

Thats kinda the gist. The whole localization is more like a literal localization, but its full of Wuxia and mythology terminology, which does not make that much sense either, but sounds cool.

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm getting butchered on every boss fight and I just don't understand it. I've had more issues with these bosses than any Sekiro boss.

Maybe I'm missing something but it's getting real frustrating.