• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Ya know, because of the constant negativity surrounding Strive I honestly no longer have any motivation to play it anymore. Nobody else in the GG community seems to want to play it. Tired of getting into arguments just because I was excited for a game

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, pretty much. What I've learned since the reveal of Strive is the GG fanbase has been one of the most miserable in the FGC. Can't be fucking excited for anything, and anytime I ever shown any excitement for Strive some douche always has to go out of his way to tell me how fucking wrong I am for being excited for this game, how they're betraying what the diehard fans want out of Guilty Gear. I don't fucking care

Nah, it's cool if you are excited about it, but I think that when fans of the series who have sticked to it forever and have certain expectations about it have complaints about the new game, their opinions are important too since they should be the market they should be trying to get a lock on first.

If the complaints were coming from one of those Street Fighter fans, for example, who come into every topic about any other fighting game series to complain it's not another Street Fighter, those can go fuck off forever and go back to their game, because nothing that happens with other series will affect the game they like but if Guilty Gear fans don't like the direction of the new Guilty Gear, where will they go? Don't say Blazblue :P

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big fan of the GG series. Found Xrd to be super fun and also can't wait for Strive. What they've shown seems fresh and exciting

Also I pretty much tune out "long standing fans" of fighting games for new game releases. Because the number of times they're not constantly bitching about an upcoming entry in the franchise is slim to 0.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Nah, it's cool if you are excited about it, but I think that when fans of the series who have sticked to it forever and have certain expectations about it have complaints about the new game, their opinions are important too since they should be the market they should be trying to get a lock on first.

If the complaints were coming from one of those Street Fighter fans, for example, who come into every topic about any other fighting game series to complain it's not another Street Fighter, those can go fuck off forever and go back to their game, because nothing that happens with other series will affect the game they like but if Guilty Gear fans don't like the direction of the new Guilty Gear, where will they go? Don't say Blazblue :P
I honestly don't care anymore. Like I don't want to play Strive now, just getting into arguments constantly is exhausting, why even bother with this game if people are just gonna shit on it.

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
People can say whatever they want, I'll be there day one. Getting a fighting game sequel that isn't SF or Smash is rare these days.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
I honestly don't care anymore. Like I don't want to play Strive now, just getting into arguments constantly is exhausting, why even bother with this game if people are just gonna shit on it.

I think the better option is to keep being excited, other's opinions should not influence yours. If you see something in the new game that appeals to you then be happy about it, just avoid threads where you know how things will go. You liking the new direction is what the developers are looking for with Strive, so your opinion is not in the wrong.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Ya know, because of the constant negativity surrounding Strive I honestly no longer have any motivation to play it anymore. Nobody else in the GG community seems to want to play it. Tired of getting into arguments just because I was excited for a game

I suggest just ignoring news and discussion about GG until the game is out. People are talking out of their ass about a game still in development. It happens with almost every fighting game these days.

When it comes out people will be playing it and enjoying it. People will also be talking shit because that's what people do on the internet, but keep ignoring it.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
As a huge fan of SFV Im just going to say this : If you really like a game just play it and support it. Its always happen in the fgc. People love to praise old game on a new version is announced. In the end, if you like something just enjoy it. Dont let negative people prevent you from enjoying something.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Are you saying like "X" as in "Guilty Gear X is an objectively good game" or just using X as a substitute for "blank"
The latter (gameplay, character, whichever game element you want). I have no issue with subjective stuff.
edit to clarify: as in change isn't automatically good. But good for anyone that thinks it's good for them, no issue with that.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017

Man, you just gotta play it yourself once comes out. Listen to what people are saying, but they they are just opinions like anybody else's. The most important is your own and if you have fun playing the final product.

I love SFV, everybody says they hate that shit. I love it and think it it's a lot of fun (not perfect by any means) and find plenty of people online (fix your netcode capcom) and offline to play.

I am going to get this when it comes out. I'll make my own call if I like it or not.

Do the same man.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
The concept that long-time fans just bitch about whatever new release is complete BS. It's 2020 and people understand fighting games better than they ever have. Taking the info presented on the changes/systems, people are able to make informed opinions based on the information given. No one is shitting on it because it's new and different, they have concerns because of the specific changes and what they mean for the type of game it will be.

Complaining about how previous fans will never be happy just seems like sticking your head in the sand.

I posted about this before in the previous thread, but I'm a new Xrd player (only played a very litle bit of AC+R) and Strive is seemingly removing many of the exact reasons I picked up GG in the first place.
ggdeku said:
While of course, those are big elements, I'd actually argue that Guilty Gear's primary identity is driven by the gameplay of it's most popular entries, the XX and Xrd series. While I'm not an expert (I only started learning and playing Gear a lot within the past year) I believe GG's identity is based on fast, fluid movement, a gatling system that allows for combo experimentation and improv in neutral (air combos in general), strong air game and aerial mobility, and importance on oki and defense. Gear, to me, is about strong offensive options met with strong defensive options. I believe the type of fighting game GG has been in the XX and Xrd series is just as tied to its identity as the heavy metal aesthetic or Sol Badguy.

Strive is removing basically all of that. At least in the previous build, people could say "well the movement looks like Gear at least." But now we have no chip kills, drastically changed airdash utility, speed and timing, heavily restricted gatling system, no air combos, decrease emphasis on oki, no corner, heavily reduced utility of Faultless Defense (air blocking for free lol), reduced utility of Instant Block. I think it's very reasonable for fans of the series to be frustrated with the direction.

I only started learning GG in the past year, but these changes are removing a lot of the reason why I came to the game in the first place.

It's kinda funny. MVCI had awful presentation but a really open and fluid combat system, Strive has the other problem of a great looking game but is becoming more restrictive and limited.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
I stopped playing MVCI for the same reasons. Loved how it actually played, but anytime it came up at locals or someone was actually playing people around me would just shit on it. I'm don't want to involve myself with something that's just gonna bring out a bunch of negativity.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm planning on buying Strive day 1 and am excited as hell for it. The less pro GG players that want to get in on it the better because that means I'll be able to rise to the top :p

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I'm not upset that it's different, I'm upset that it looks like they removed everything I liked about GG from the game and replaced it with my least favourite fighting games design decisions of the modern age (pre-determined, shorter combos with less creativity and overall mobility nerf)

And they don't even have rollback netcode to justify it

Maybe that's the ultimate mischief?

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
reading the shinjin translation, i think i mostly agree with summit
cutting so much gatling route makes the game much more restrictive, so it's less accessible and is the opposite of making it easier for newcomers

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Can we please stop looking at the contents of people's complaints and chalking it up to "YOU DON'T LIKE IT CAUSE IT'S DIFFERENT" especially when "cause it's different" is then used as a reason for why it's good without a hint of irony.

When someone says they dislike that gatlings have become restricted because it gives them less freedom to engage and demands they do it in a much more limited way then that's not "just because it's different".

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I like how you need to commit to bigger damage instead of chaining into it all. The gatling change doesn't hurt imo but just changes how you would approach. I really like how Daisuke had this new vision for the game but I'm worried in the end a lot of the fanbase isn't going to even give it a chance before making him change it. I know I'm alone on all this. Every Strive topic is nothing but concerns about the game play, I'm the only crazy person totally sold on it already.
Remember autocombo's in Persona?

"UGH THIS GAME HAS AUTO-COMBOS, IT"S SO STUPID, WHY?"

And it's like: Almost every character is a puppet character like Carl Clover, there's one auto combo, it costs HP, and most of the auto combos are actually unique attack strings with unique properties that can be used in real combos. But to this day, people deride the "autocombos" of the game and keep complaining that they need to be removed.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much they can back down on certain things before release. That awful wall break mechanic is probably staying but I hope they at least tone down damage and add more combos back in. The game looks bad in its current state but not unsalvagable. Just a shame we have to waste time on it instead of advancing the series

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Remember autocombo's in Persona?

"UGH THIS GAME HAS AUTO-COMBOS, IT"S SO STUPID, WHY?"

And it's like: Almost every character is a puppet character like Carl Clover, there's one auto combo, it costs HP, and most of the auto combos are actually unique attack strings with unique properties that can be used in real combos. But to this day, people deride the "autocombos" of the game and keep complaining that they need to be removed.

P4A's autocombos were ironically the better implementation of the system for me. They gave more meter than regular combos but way less damage and no oki possibility so they were actually a tool the players could use depending on the situation. I didn't like DBFZ's and BBTAG's implementations that much in comparison

However, I don't think people deride P4A's autocombos or even P4A in general nowadays. It's pretty beloved.

(Also saying everyone is a puppet character is a bit of a stretch lol)

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish Arcsys would get rid of IB as a mechanic. I don't think it really adds anything good other than a skill gate.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Weird that they're making this game with "fan feedback" in mind. Anyway I hope it works out for them. I think it looks fine.
People can say whatever they want, I'll be there day one. Getting a fighting game sequel that isn't SF or Smash is rare these days.
We're living in the fighting renaissance where nearly major fighting game franchise has gotten a sequel. Even Arika made a new fighting game.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
P4A's autocombos were ironically the better implementation of the system for me. They gave more meter than regular combos but way less damage and no oki possibility so they were actually a tool the players could use depending on the situation. I didn't like DBFZ's and BBTAG's implementations that much in comparison

However, I don't think people deride P4A's autocombos or even P4A in general nowadays. It's pretty beloved.

(Also saying everyone is a puppet character is a bit of a stretch lol)
Correct; but even late into P4A's life people were still deriding it. At the beginning people hated it.

Also, by puppet character, I mean asyncronis inputs to make two character act in unison for a combo. Even Yu, who is the main shoto character, requires weaving his inputs with his persona to combo correctly. I should've said that everyone plays a bit like Relius Clover in the sense of how you approach combo inputs. Some more than others though.

.....I mained SHO. That was wonderful.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017

holy fucking shit this is one of the most petty things I have ever seen on this forum

it's a goddamn video game, not a friend or a family member. You have absolutely no obligation to throw yourself into every discussion defending it. If you're excited for the game, just play it for yourself. If it turns out that the old guard ends up not liking it, and it can't appeal to a lot of newer players, that's on the hands of the developers and no one else

Last edited:

ParmeSean

May 14, 2018
Strive is gonna be good, after watching pro players experiment with it i believe its gonna have some fun stuff. Its not like any of you were doing 1 frame RCs anyway
Akira (battle director)
– Is a former top level GG-player (just google Kawin/Akira).
– Ended the session by claiming that he would refuse to make GGST a game without a great depth.

I'm for it

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
P4A was better than it had any right to be. But you know who has the worst autocombo system? SFxT.
"Here's a system to help new players. We're going to make it as bad as possible to remind them they are filthy noobs and they should git good instead of using them".

As for strive... All this drama makes me thankful we didn't have social medias in the 90s, because location tests would have been a perpetual bloodbath.
If Ishiwatari takes this period as a long location test, I'm sure it'll end up fine.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
holy fucking shit this is one of the most petty things I have ever seen on this forum

it's a goddamn video game, not a friend or a family member. You have absolutely no obligation to throw yourself into every discussion defending it. If you're excited for the game, just play it for yourself. If it turns out that the old guard ends up not liking it, and it can't appeal to a lot of newer players, that's on the hands of the developers and no one else
It's an overreaction but I get it 100%. Having a game you like or excited constantly shat on by everyone around you is extremely tiring

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
P4A was better than it had any right to be. But you know who has the worst autocombo system? SFxT.
"Here's a system to help new players. We're going to make it as bad as possible to remind them they are filthy noobs and they should git good instead of using them".

As for strive... All this drama makes me thankful we didn't have social medias in the 90s, because location tests would have been a perpetual bloodbath.
If Ishiwatari takes this period as a long location test, I'm sure it'll end up fine.

That bad huh? I'll be honest with you and say that I forgot cross tekken even had autocombos lol I thought it had SF4's combo system

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an overreaction but I get it 100%. Having a game you like or excited constantly shat on by everyone around you is extremely tiring
You can a) stop going on forums, discord, if you think some places are way too negative about it and b) just stop gathering with players like that.

But preventing you to play a game that you might enjoy is really fucked up.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lol.

I literally couldn't imagine other people making me not want to play something.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
You can a) stop going on forums, discord, if you think some places are way too negative about it and b) just stop gathering with players like that.
I've already left the Guilty Gear discord for these exact reasons
But preventing you to play a game that you might enjoy is really fucked up.
Well, the other option is to play it anyway then have to deal with people online or at locals that would continue to give you shit. It happened with Street Fighter V and MVCI. Anytime I ever asked to play anyone on that game or just played it regardless I've had people come up to me and give me an explanation on why I shouldn't like the game, happened so much that at some point I just gave up playing it.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Well, the other option is to play it anyway then have to deal with people online or at locals that would continue to give you shit. It happened with Street Fighter V and MVCI. Anytime I ever asked to play anyone on that game or just played it regardless I've had people come up to me and give me an explanation on why I shouldn't like the game, happened so much that at some point I just gave up playing it.

Don't worry about it, there's literally a canned response already for that kind of people, just tell them "ok, boomer", otherwise you might as well quit playing recent fighting games since I don't think there's any of the current gen ones that doesn't gets trashed on for one reason or another by people who has nothing better to do with their time except to look fondly to old fighting games, those were the good ones, while forgetting that to have fun with those they had to accomodate to the meta, disregarding, like, around 60% or more of the roster, only pick top tiers and do all the janky stuff, or were just to young (as was the internet, so all the info was way harder to find) to even be playing the same game as the pros but had fun with the game, and when it's mentioned as one of the BEST EVAH they feel validated even though they never even touched the mechanics that gave the games their reputation.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Change is good, y'know? The core of GG ain't being changed. This game is still Guilty Gear, same aesthetic, characters, music are all intact, and mechanics like roman cancel have actually been improved. The game overall looks way more fun than any of the other GG games. Had this game had the same "core" of Guilty Gear as you define it then I wouldn't have any reason to give a shit about this game, just would've been the same thing all over again, and that sucks

So, you like it because it doesn't look like it plays as it traditionally has, but you're mad that people that like how it has traditionally played don't like the way the gameplay currently looks.

I've been playing fighting games for almost 30 years. This is the way it's literally always been. MK sucked and SF2 was terrible. No, you're wrong, because SF2 is amazing and MK is awful. CvS1 sucked because 4 buttons and I play Capcom games. SNK games don't have as much control because they have 4 buttons. CvS2 was dumb because the SNK roster didn't feel like SNK characters. Tekken and virtua fighter. DoA and anything. Each iteration of SF has sucked until the new game comes out, and then it's fondly remembered.

Just find a squad you like playing with and ignore the chaff. Even me, since I think GG looks like garbage right now. lol

These vids look a lot better, but I see no reason for them to be simplifying the gameplay when they've done so with so many of their other fighters, and now there won't be anything like Guilty Gear on the market.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
As somebody who thought Xrd was too hard but REALLY wants to get into it, I wish Strive were a similar step as Xrd from X2: simply trim the fat and get rid of the bloat (there's no reason we need 3 different RCs or 3 ways to block moves), but keep the core game exactly the same.

The heavy changes to gatling, movement, and overall player freedom are really disappointing given all the changes they have made that I've really like, like no chip kills, explicit grab inputs, and big visual emphasis on counter hits (tho it's a bit much rn). Oddly enough half circle inputs and crappy SNK-style supers rather than universal inputs (every super being DQCF/B) would have done way more for newcomers struggling with the game than... removing the closest thing the game has to an autocombo?

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
So, you like it because it doesn't look like it plays as it traditionally has, but you're mad that people that like how it has traditionally played don't like the way the gameplay currently looks
Basically. Some people are just overly sensitive to negative critiques of their favorite thing.

The heavy changes to gatling, movement, and overall player freedom are really disappointing given all the changes they have made that I've really like, like no chip kills, explicit grab inputs, and big visual emphasis on counter hits (tho it's a bit much rn). Oddly enough half circle inputs and crappy SNK-style supers rather than universal inputs (every super being DQCF/B) would have done way more for newcomers struggling with the game than... removing the closest thing the game has to an autocombo?
Yeah I wanted Strive to be the first GG I put serious time into. But now it seems I'll be playing GGSF and not traditional GG.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That bad huh? I'll be honest with you and say that I forgot cross tekken even had autocombos lol I thought it had SF4's combo system
It's better than that: it had the emphasis on SF4's 1-frame links... on top of tapping the LP button to make a chain combo. The autocombo dealt less damage than it would have if you had pressed the intended buttons at the correct timing (and/or generate less gauge I think?). It's actually not a beginner-friendly system, it's a system to teach people not to mash LP. Also, it always ended with the teammate-switching move to make it even more punishable. And I think you couldn't breach out of it (so the autocombo would not cancel into anything, just the next move of the chain, even though some moves would have been cancellable if made outside of the autocombo). I also think the autocombos of a couple of characters could reliably whiff midway through, at least on release.

And if you wanted to try to link two LP... may god have mercy on your soul.

Sooooooo.... Yeah. P4A was really good.