• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keylow

Oct 25, 2017
Yea done too for the night. Got about 3 matches total and yea 4 crashes and the lobby is not good at all. Well back to ff7 hard mode for me

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
I'm convinced this is so bad, that it actually is just an april fools joke.

This game is the anti-valorant.

This beta will do damage to itself before it even releases.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Playing against human beings, the damage seems fine. Starting combos with S is pretty rare and you have to have meter to capitalize on mosf of it. Wallbreak mechanic still seems dumb though

Oct 26, 2017
I only got one match in. I managed to win using the new fangled Hammerfall RC into Buster trick.

Beta has since crashed for me. I'll try again later.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I like the actual game part, when I can actually play it

The lobby system is awful and confusing and I have no idea why they changed it from previous ArcSys games

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, either I'm going to watch my partner play FF7 Remake for the rest of the night, or I'm going to play Granblue (and get angry that this game wasn't chosen for the rollback treatment).

breander

Oct 27, 2017
Was this even supposed to be up yet? Might explain the issues. Managed to get one fight in before server maintenance.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
6PY2l22.png

And Daisuke thinks this is simplier for newcomers xd

BroodShadow

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that was horrible even if they fix the lobby and make it so you can play matches. I still feel like they need to just get rid of it and go back to the old ones.
If they are going to make big changes this should just push the game back to 2021 as it stands right now I feel like they are going to rush out a game and everyone is going to hate it.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I was in the lobby before the maintenance.

The lobby was confusing as all hell. 3 blue screen crashes. Played 1 game.

Wtf, haha.

That said, ima try again later. ;)

Oct 26, 2017
I think they have a habit of trying to reinvent the wheel when it comes with online lobbies instead of just sticking with what works and making sure it's as fast as possible.

A good online for a fighting game should prioritize getting you into a match as quick as possible and eliminating downtime between matches as much as possible.

Arcsys does weird shit like in Granblue where the lobby lets you rematch someone once after you win and once after they win for a grand total of 3 matches if both of you lose once, then you get booted back to the lobby for no good reason.

In GG Strive, you get one match with the person, no option for rematch and it boots you back to the room after it's done.

Why? Who wants to go back and load the room only to match against the same person again when it could simply let you rematch right after the match ends.

In other words, like GG Strive shows, there's no clear path to improving the lobby, it just feels random that it might be decent or bad whenever a new game comes out.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
Good lobby systems are about refinement, but they insist on the reinventing the wheel every time.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I don't understand Arc Sys's obession with virtual lobbies. Why make things so much cumbersome and all these additional assets? Just give me some classic lobbies.

Does the Asian market dig this shit? I never get it either. I hate these virtual lobbies with a fucking passion. Seems so wasteful and unneeded hassle.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
It's fucking stupid. I kept doing stuff like 2P>5P>2D and having to remind myself that it doesn't work just because.
exactly
arcsys and ishiwatari need to realize that atm they're changing things just because, not for any particular good reason

I'm guessing it's like what can be linked together? Explains why my P never linked with S.
no, those are chipp's gatling route
gatling is basically target combo in street fighter term, normal moves that you can cancel into other normal move
a gatling is not a link
there might be a 5P cl.5S link for chipp since sol has it, but because it's a link then you need to time it right

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I miss gatlings and air combos, man. The game is fine against other players but I just feel I'm playing a weird fusion of KOF 98 with SamSho and anime fighters. Just doesn't feel like GG to me :(

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
exactly
arcsys and ishiwatari need to realize that atm they're changing things just because, not for any particular good reason

no, those are chipp's gatling route
gatling is basically target combo in street fighter term, normal moves that you can cancel into other normal move
a gatling is not a link
there might be a 5P cl.5S link for chipp since sol has it, but because it's a link then you need to time it right
Ah my bad, I didn't even think it was for a specific character. I haven't really kept up with GGS and overall i'm quite unfamiliar with it. Thank you for clarifying.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
They could limit gatlings in way more intuitive ways. Like all P buttons and K buttons chain into each other but you can't repeat the same button twice, same goes for S/HS. Way easier to remember and understand, still limits combo routes so that P/K starters can't lead to big combos, don't gotta memorize a flow chart.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
They could limit gatlings in way more intuitive ways. Like all P buttons and K buttons chain into each other but you can't repeat the same button twice, same goes for S/HS. Way easier to remember and understand, still limits combo routes so that P/K starters can't lead to big combos, don't gotta memorize a flow chart.

I don't get why big combos starting with P/K are a bad thing? The proration system takes care of everything and you won't get huge damage unless you spend meter (just like this game)

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
P and k starters prorated the damaged for long combos so you would be sacrificing something like 20% of the combo damage for starting from a light move. That was fine before. Limiting gatlings makes no sense to me.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
yeah, there are plenty of better balancing methods of nerfing gatlings from lights
nerf damage, nerf tension gain, make enemy gain tension at an increased rate the higher the combo count etc

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
Man I was bummed that I have to miss this first session because of work, but it doesn't seem like I'm missing much lol.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
also, is GG now a link game like SF4? I see people mentioning no gatling, but I didn't realize what exactly that meant until I started playing. Can't chain l>m>h.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, this game does everything to get on my nerves. Not only it takes forever to hope to get in the same lobby as a friend but you can't rematch after 2 rounds and if you're on a high floor (say floor 7) and you lose, the game forces you into a lower floor meaning you gotta start the whoooole process over to end with your friend in the same lobby.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
People keep talking about Rollback. I thought the Rollback netcode didn't actually make it into the beta?

This beta used the old delay-based netcode from Xrd/what would be used on release. Even the lobbies run on delay based netcode. No rollback here

also, is GG now a link game like SF4? I see people mentioning no gatling, but I didn't realize what exactly that meant until I started playing. Can't chain l>m>h.

Yup. There's still some "Target Combos" like S > HS and 2K > 2D but you don't have the universal P > K > S > HS > 2D anymore

rude

Oct 25, 2017
The feedback this game is going to get is gonna delay it to next year 100%.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Graphically this is an obvious step-up. But it feels more similar to Xrd Sign than I expected. Which isn't a bad thing, it just caught me off-guard. Guess I expected more of a jump like when we got Xrd.

Oct 26, 2017
Had a few more matches, but then just could not connect to a match after like ten minutes of trying.

I'll try again later.

EDIT: Hammerfall feels so degenerate in this game. It's safe on block, so I found myself just letting it rip and rarely using the brake.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
This is rough. My lobby (which absolutely needs to be reimagined lol) crashed and I got into 0 matches. Will be trying to play again tomorrow, let's hope it's fixed by then. Of course this is a beta, these are just first impressions.

At this point with the feedback ArcSys will be receiving, I'm expecting Guilty Gear Strive to be delayed to next year.

Last edited:

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's a beta right?
Couple of random disconnects which result in freezes. Lobby needs to be scraped if pulling the Health and Rounds of each match is eating up server resources.
Game feels fine to me, though.

I'm scrubbing by with random dolphins with May

OP
OP
QisTopTier

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
LOL Fucking pot's mega fist gets so much air it actually can jump over ky's 2HS that shit is crazy in this

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
This is rough. My lobby (which absolutely need to be reimagined lol) crashed and I got into 0 matches. Will be trying to play again tomorrow, let's hope it's fixed by then.

At this point with the feedback ArcSys will be receiving, I'm expecting Guilty Gear Strive to be delayed to next year.

Cut them some slack its their first fighting game

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Don't know what the maintenance did but its only seemed to fix the crashing and not the massive network instability.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why big combos starting with P/K are a bad thing? The proration system takes care of everything and you won't get huge damage unless you spend meter (just like this game)
because your fastest option then becomes your best option in all situations and you end up with games like ultra jabjabjabuppercut fighter iv.

why bother using any other move if your can convert full combos off of a light

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
because your fastest option then becomes your best option in all situations and you end up with games like ultra jabjabjabuppercut fighter iv.

why bother using any other move if your can convert full combos off of a light

That's not really true in Xrd, at least. Starting from P or K lost you loads of damage and you don't get much from CH P or CH K as you do CH H. Some characters like Elphelt live for the CH 6H.