• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Sony is planning a new event with games and new features soon and wants price and date to be the climax of such event.
I doubt they would simply announce prices as a reaction, they have their own strategy and in the end MS only announced Series S and its price officially, it's still not thw full picture.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
It is not unlikely that MS got wind that Sony was going to announce something this week, and just leaked their info sooner. I mean, releasing the XSS info as they did is just bizarre, considering they are likely to sell more of that than the XSX. Although they are trying to control the narrative both ways. POWERFUL! and expensive. CHEAP! and weak. Sony has focused more on actual content rather than just relying on selling the hardware and the game purchase model, but even then they haven't shown that much content.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
now just announce the full launch line-ups and lets get this train-wreck of a marketing cycle over with.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But no one has said anything about price?

The question was would GAME staff know about the potential announcement, which according to what the tweet suggests, will be the potential opening of pre-orders.

If pre-orders are about to open then staff need to be prepared. And the day before is the perfect timing for that. It goes beyond policies too. You have other considerations to make - for example you will likely be much busier compared to a normal day, so you might need to draft in an extra body or something like that. Can't do that very easily if you only find out on the day itself.

Edit: during my time composing this post someone how now dug-up the tweet. I don't think this tweet implies immediate opening of pre-orders, but the principle still remains true, preparing staff a day ahead for an announcement and priming them on policy and procedures is the wisest move.

No worries, I got confused tbh.

I agree, as someone who has done pre-orders in a number of different capacities, incuding at GAME, in my time in retail, shadowdrops are not what you want at all.

That being said, we already know Sony have promised to give plenty of warning ahead of pre-orders. It makes sense therefore that an announcement could come tomorrow on price/release, and then pre-orders might open next week for example.

As someone who worked 5 years for GAME and left last year, there is no way Guildford would know this, unless head office have become extremely careless with the info they share to stores.

Head office probably know, but that would literally be it

I mean, I left GAME a long time ago, but y recollection of working there was that head office didn't have a lot going for them. There's a reason this company has had to be saved from the brink more than once.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who worked 5 years for GAME and left last year, there is no way Guildford would know this, unless head office have become extremely careless with the info they share to stores.

Head office probably know, but that would literally be it

Would it be possible that some promo materials had already gone out ?

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it was at EÂł and EÂł is always MS first then Sony. So Sony even added this little skit of Shu and Boyes sharing the physical PS game as a jab on the online only stuff MS announced the day before.

That was a real low blow for MS, funny as hell though

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Sony is planning a new event with games and new features soon and wants price and date to be the climax of such event.
I doubt they would simply announce prices as a reaction, they have their own strategy and in the end MS only announced Series S and its price officially, it's still not thw full picture.
On the other hand, if Sony doesn't think the price is going to be surprising they could just announce it to get preorders started and then have an event that's 100% about games.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling that MS did a controlled leak to push Sony into moving forward with their of price announcement.

mattypacker

Oct 29, 2017
Bristol UK
Would it be possible that some promo materials had already gone out ?

It's unlikely nowadays as most stuff is done digitally through in store screens.

I could be totally wrong of course, as there have been instances of GAME stores being told specifically not to tweet about something and then 5 minutes later one does anyway, but that has been more for game reveals.

For significant console preorder news like this it is very unlikely stores will know until right up to the moment Sony announce something. Mainly because something like this would really harm GAME's relationship with Sony, which is something GAME reeeaally value.

Edit: As others have said, Social Media guys in GAME stores are more often than not either sales assistants or lower rungs of management. This is not some official social media professional at their head office.

Last edited:

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
It would be awful timing. The D U N C trailer is out tomorrow and everyone knows that's gonna be the hypest thing talked about this week.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
I guess since MS said "chicken" first, Sony has to follow. SMH. I want to preorder both , so I wish they would get on with it.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Something I find interesting is that MS didn't confirm Series X price. Just revealed the S. So they may still be flexible. But Sony's PS5 consoles are too similar to reveal separately.

I legitimately believe Sony was going to make disc 599 and now they have no choice but to undercut it if MS releases at 499. So I'm actually very happy MS is lowballing as much as they are. It works out better by putting the ball in Sony's court like this vs one announcing at 599 and the other thinking it's okay.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
It would be awful timing. The D U N C trailer is out tomorrow and everyone knows that's gonna be the hypest thing talked about this week.

DUNC? Do you mean Dune? And if so, I doubt those things are mutually exclusive. There is a very lazy misconception that people can't hold more than one piece of info in their brain at a time. I am looking forward to Dune a lot and have read quite a few of the books, and watched the original film. Decent PS5 news would hype me a lot more than a Dune trailer though. I don't really need to see anything Dune wise anyway, know I am going to see it day 1 and know quite a bit of what to expect, if intrigued by how it will be executed.

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
Something I find interesting is that MS didn't confirm Series X price. Just revealed the S. So they may still be flexible. But Sony's PS5 consoles are too similar to reveal separately.

I legitimately believe Sony was going to make disc 599 and now they have no choice but to undercut it if MS releases at 499. So I'm actually very happy MS is lowballing as much as they are. It works out better by putting the ball in Sony's court like this vs one announcing at 599 and the other thinking it's okay.
Also the PS5 and PS5 digital are not different enough that the PS5D can come close to the Series S. So Sony has nothing to be competitive at 299, maybe that leads to offering the better price for the PS5 vs Series X.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
DUNC? Do you mean Dune? And if so, I doubt those things are mutually exclusive. There is a very lazy misconception that people can't hold more than one piece of info in their brain at a time. I am looking forward to Dune a lot and have read quite a few of the books, and watched the original film. Decent PS5 news would hype me a lot more than a Dune trailer though. I don't really need to see anything Dune wise anyway, know I am going to see it day 1 and know quite a bit of what to expect, if intrigued by how it will be executed.
I was joking, lol.

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
here we fucking GO!

My tinfoil hat says that sony's "no news this week" was a way to bait MS into announcing first???

Corporations don't get baiting into shit based on something like that. No way in hell. I do 100% think that the leak was absolutely welcome within the walls of Xbox. Only because every time the series s was mentioned people wanted to know the price and most talking heads immediately followed that up by saying when the series s is announced it has to come with the price of the series x and series s. Well a leak gets them around that and they now still have something to show off with the series x. At this point they are going to wait out Playstation until they announce the price of the PS5.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Given that the source tweet was deleted, and the content of the claims will be quickly verifiable, we are locking the thread for now to await confirmation. Feel free to make a new thread when this is concrete!

Status
Not open for further replies.