• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Taffer

Oct 27, 2017
evC9rVC.jpg

I hope we hear more about these terrifying desert quaggans that seem to haunt Vabbi.

Scum

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question. Is it okay to get rid/sell/destroy items like the Antitoxin injector skin, the Zenith/Rafiant skins and transforming tonics, once I've used/unlocked the skins? I need to tidy up my inventory and bank Vault and things like these as well as PvP gear are just taking up space.

OP
OP
Massicot

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Quick question. Is it okay to get rid/sell/destroy items like the Antitoxin injector skin, the Zenith/Rafiant skins and transforming tonics, once I've used/unlocked the skins? I need to tidy up my inventory and bank Vault and things like these as well as PvP gear are just taking up space.

Yea, If the skin is unlocked you're good to sell/destroy it. All having the skin item does at that point is save you a transmutation crystal if you want to use the skin.

Scum

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, If the skin is unlocked you're good to sell/destroy it. All having the skin item does at that point is save you a transmutation crystal if you want to use the skin.
I see. I got worried at first but my Bank Vault is cluttered with shite from God knows how long that it's time for a tidy up!
Thanks for the response! :D

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
6 weeks later and this expansion is actually worse than HoT, i feel like there's nothing do to in PoF, HoT metas had you going back to visit the maps, once you get your mounts PoF has nothing calling me back...outside of getting some free chest, PoF is just meh...

Taffer

Oct 27, 2017
This expansion worth it if you liked the OG GW 2 and HoT?

Current opinion is that PoF is a return to the core GW2 style from HoT so... I dunno? Did you play any of the Living World stuff? PoF isn't great at holding your attention once you've played through it but it does include all the as yet unreleased LS4 stuff. Including that with the rest of PoF I'd say it'll be worth the price in the end. I don't feel ripped off yet!

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From watching their video, I was under the impression you could use a license and then get 10 random mounts to choose one from. But apparently you use the license and you get 1 random one from the 30 available..
There's only 2 skins I like, Twin Sands and Stardust, so before I get even one of these I'll already have spent a small fortune on those 400 gem licenses. No thanks Anet. I'll stick with the standard ones.

If they were cheaper, or let me choose I'd consider it, but this way it's 100% no from me.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
From watching their video, I was under the impression you could use a license and then get 10 random mounts to choose one from. But apparently you use the license and you get 1 random one from the 30 available.. There's only 2 skins I like, Twin Sands and Stardust, so before I get even one of these I'll already have spent a small fortune on those 400 gem licenses. No thanks Anet. I'll stick with the standard ones.
If they were cheaper, or let me choose I'd consider it, but this way it's 100% no from me.

Yeah, if they were going this route I really wish they'd make them cheaper. Stupid loot boxes ruined everything. (Nobody wants skimmer skins, let's be honest.) I personally want the stardust jackal and lop, and anything on fire. Electric raptor is cool too...

OP
OP
Massicot

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
By the way, you can now get PoF-Stat ascended Trinkets from Heart Vendors. I didn't see if this was explicitly stated in the notes. Here's Harrier Stat items from Keeper Pamir in the Desolation
image.png

That is....a lot of trade contracts though.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
I think the RNG style of getting what skin you want sucks, but the blow is softened by you never get dupes.

HOWEVER, GW2 has been spoiled by usual being able to pick what skin you want to buy, so I can see the anger.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Meh, not getting into the RNG for these when I only like maybe 1 or 2 of the skins, and that 2k gem price for jackal mount is laughable. Still freaking lame that they didn't give the option to check out the Halloween ones separately.

Kentsui

Oct 26, 2017
I seriously had to read the patch-notes twice and log in the game to see it with my own eyes cause I couldn't believe it ...
A 2k single mount skin and an RNG box for other skins ...
They've tip-toed around the line between a decent cash-shop and a shitty one several times in the past but this is a major step beyond that line.
I think the RNG style of getting what skin you want sucks, but the blow is softened by you never get dupes.

HOWEVER, GW2 has been spoiled by usual being able to pick what skin you want to buy, so I can see the anger.

Not getting dupes doesn't look like some kind of kindness tbh , it would just make the whole thing look even worse than it already is.

Spoiled ? Not really.
Once again despite some of its shortcomings it's part of what made the cash shop bearable and mostly in line with the Fashion-wars endgame that allows you to customize every aspect of your character(s) the way you want.

A real shame that they had to ruin what was one of the most anticipated thing about PoF with questionable business practices.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got the Doge jackal mount which makes me happy. My wife got the starry super shiny Griffon which looks great on its own but a flock of them together in Lions Arch is just too much.

zerohaste

Oct 27, 2017
The worst thing is a large number of the mounts are simply color swaps of the existing textures. Then a few more might be that plus some minor particles. These are things a lot of people will simply never use and should have been rewards in game already. You're paying a shit ton of money for mounts you'll never use just to have a chance at getting the few that you will.

Things could get even worse if they add more mounts to the license later on. Your chances of getting the one that you want diminish with every skin they add. Though they could just go the mini pet route and make these licenses seasonal, which would mean if you want anything from this pack you'll need to cough up the $150 ASAP before they're gone for an undetermined amount of time. Then the'll drop another pack worth $150 on us.

But hey, multiple dye channels. Enjoy your one channel default skins plebs.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I like the "normal" mounts with different patterns and small detail changes waaaay more than the elemental/star/shiny/sparkly stuff.
I would have liked it if they made two different stables, a fancy one where people can get their sparkly stuff and a more realistic one with the normal good skins.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I'm happy to see Jim Sterling cover the issue with mount skin monetization. He even briefly mentioned the absurd 2,000 gem skin. I hope the money was worth turning the community against you, Arenanet.

Kentsui

Oct 26, 2017
A few more articles and videos about it and this will have had more coverage than PoF ever had.

Deleted member 300

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my main issue aswell is they could have easily gutted these skins and put half in as achievement unlocks in path of fire collections and the other half in the gem store, one you complete path of fire story and do some bounties etc it really hasnt got much staying power, where has having a few collection achievements for each mount where you can get an alternative skin would have atleast gave something else to do, and also minimised the influx and attention on these mounts in gem store too.

guild wars 2 main problem for me is so much stuff is basically gotten only in the gem store and far far less in actual game regarding skins etc, i know they have to make some money etc but by all rights this my main problem for this game and again its lead to me buying the expansion and then completing and leaving again.

i love the game so much but at the same time so much is just held back by the gem store.

and just like that they have also thrown any good will they made up leading to path of fire etc away

they really turned things around the last year but yea

OP
OP
Massicot

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I never expected mount skins to be achievements (even though I think that would be awesome). The only gliders you could ever get through normal play were the legendaries.

And yea....you can always just play the way you want and covert gold to gems to buy a skin or glider but to me it never really feels rewarding,

Deleted member 300

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never expected mount skins to be achievements (even though I think that would be awesome). The only gliders you could ever get through normal play were the legendaries.

And yea....you can always just play the way you want and covert gold to gems to buy a skin or glider but to me it never really feels rewarding,

oh yea i understand that, just for me alot of these skins are just color changes right, so that screams just make them achievement farms, not asking for everything to just wildly change to achievement rewards only, but theres so much stuff in the cash shop thats on rotation or barely seen, it just screams achievement reward, you then have the incoming bloat of mount skins.

another option would be after a few roations of that item in gem store add it to a achievement track reward thing

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At least one of these dope Griffon skins should've been the reward for getting Gold in those Griffon speedrun aventures that appear all over PoF zones. It's a legitimate criticism that all the good looking things are getting funneled to the Gem Store. There's an widening imbalance.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
At least one of these dope Griffon skins should've been the reward for getting Gold in those Griffon speedrun aventures that appear all over PoF zones. It's a legitimate criticism that all the good looking things are getting funneled to the Gem Store. There's an widening imbalance.

I want some honest remodels... attach them to some grind stuff in the new maps or whatever season 4 ends up being. Some of the mount concept art had a prototype griffon as inspired by a secretary bird. I WANT THAT SKIN.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC

Gold to gems has never been the answer. You'd have to be a stock broker to reasonably get that amount or literally tied to the game and doing RIBA.

zerohaste

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. ANet's response isn't all that surprising, I guess. It sounds like they'll be going the route of the Halloween mount skin bundles and the forged skin just released, which means more expensive overall.

I feel like this entire thing would have gone over better if they had just done a few simple things. Namely, given us mount skins as rewards in game already with multiple dye channels as well as having the default skins have multiple channels.They also should have separated each mount type into it's own license. Either as a separate license item entirely or a second selection that lets you choose the stable to try at. No one wants to try 10 times and get 7 skimmer skins, two springer skins and a texture swamp raptor when all they want is a griffon skin.

I like the idea of a large bundle to save money, but the skins in said bundle need to be very different from the default skin. The spooky mount pack was 1600 gems, which is the slightly less price per skin as the license at full price (320 vs 340). The license just has way too much in it with too large a chance to get nothing I want out of it for a price that's not even cheaper than what they did before. The spooky pack is the way to go to make most people happy, but they're probably going to start selling things individually a lot too for 2k gems a pop like the reforged skin is.

Last edited:

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
If they are going to push bundles, would be nice to have a freaking option to just buy the skins separately if only wanting like 1 or 2 skins out of the bunch.

OP
OP
Massicot

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I was in a discussion with someone earlier that used the arguments "it's only cosmetic" "there's rng in other places in the game" and "you can trade in game gold for gems and get the gold however you please", and despite all of those arguments being valid, I really still feel like this is an overreach on Anet's part. No one would have batted an eye if it was 30 skins at 400 gems each. The rng element can be argued to add "excitement" I guess but it also means your favorite mount skin might cost you 100 bucks (or in the case of in game gold, 2000g).

I agree that a decent compromise, if rng must be in play, would be to at least separate the pools by mount type like zerohaste suggests.

Last edited:

Kentsui

Oct 26, 2017
So they see a mount skin priced at 400 gems as being priced as a discount.

Reading that I 'm curious to see what a reasonable full price is to them cause it'seems already a lot.

Taffer

Oct 27, 2017
That shot of the gates made me yearn a little for old LA. Why am I yearning, I barely used it? Is this rose-tinted glasses?
Anyway I hope Scarlet comes back to troll the community, Sylvari can come back is canon now.