• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ED_209

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Curitiba/Brazil
It's time for a Killzone Online (or a better name).

- GaaS model;
- Maybe F2P with MxT?;
- Playable in both first and third person view;
- Gameplay-wise, the most close possible to Killzone 2 MP.
- Remake the most famous maps of the whole franchise in the newest version of the Decima Engine;
- Bring back all the classic modes (Bodycount, Assassination and etc)
- Add a Battle Royale mode (of course);
- Add a 4 to 8 players coop horde mode;
- Add playable vehicles on new maps.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Between this and the speculated San Diego studio, maybe Sony isn't resting on its laurels with WWS like some people think?
Sony is smart. I think they're paying close attention to their competition and realize that in the coming years, with all other things being equal, first party software will be the deciding factor that determines where a lot of potential customers will game. On this front, Sony has decided to expand their proven studios to not only further create new, and exceptional products/content but this also enables them to retain talent by being able to reward more people and advance their careers. This keeps them happy and fulfilled, while also serving the dual purpose of them to managing and cultivating the talent of others who could one day be given a more senior position.

- GaaS model;
- Maybe F2P with MxT?;
- Remake the most famous maps of the whole franchise in the newest version of the Decima Engine;

Not trying to take your shine but I'd rather Guerrilla, if they were willing to return to the Killzone franchise, set it during the 1st exostellar war and focus more on a civil war taking place on Helghan being fueled by an ISA operative. This operative would be player designed much like a Soulsborne character. Objectives would be given via a planetside handler and could be approached from a multitude of ways. I guess the ultimate goal of the game in my mind is to destabilize the regime internally to where they're fighting a war on two fronts and to turn the inhabitants of Helgan against the empire and somehow assassinate the Autarch in the state of tumult engulfing the planet, giving way for the ISA to install a person of their choosing...who'd turn out to be Visari who in time grew disgusted with the exploitation of Helgan and launches the 2nd Exostellar War that you see in KZ1/2/3.

I'm not what direction they should go in terms of camera perspective but I wouldn't be opposed to either honestly. MP would have Warzone and individual modes that make up warzone in addition to the main draw...Battle Royale and all the MTX that you mentioned but it'd all be cosmetic.

Last edited:

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they are working on the elusive Sony's AAA JRPG? lol

Anyway, I hope it's a new IP rather than Killzone.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Between this and the speculated San Diego studio, maybe Sony isn't resting on its laurels with WWS like some people think?

Don't listen to the Reset Era scuttlebutt, Sony's head is very much still in the game and they know what they're doing. They've been saying for a couple of years now that a key business objective moving forward is to strengthen their already exceptional first-party output.

SnowFlakeCake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two games concurrently is something which won't happen, not full production anyway. But I assume it has all got to do with turnaround, Horizon from conception to completion was 7 years. That is fucking crazy, GOW also took 5 years etc. Sony will want their studios to make games faster and one way to do that is increasing manpower. Definitely think Horizon 2 is going to be huge in scope, including the Siege director being there to take care of MP and co-op for Horizon 2.

A separate co-op mode including horde and one with missions, where you go hunting for huge monsters or build factions a bit like TLOU? Yes please.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Two games concurrently is something which won't happen, not full production anyway. But I assume it has all got to do with turnaround, Horizon from conception to completion was 7 years. That is fucking crazy

It's not that crazy because they put the project on hold while they made Shadow Fall. Horizon wasn't actually in production for 7 years.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not too mention if Horizon 2 does have multiplayer its most likely going to be getting updates, DLC and so on and that will need a set of people entirely unto themselves to maintain that.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Horizon 2 with co-op and seamless multiplayer (optional of course) would be awesome. I wouldn't mind it at all if I could just be traveling through the world of Horizon 2 and randomly encounter another player fighting a Thunderjaw.

Deleted member 13628

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

- GaaS model;
- Maybe F2P with MxT?;

Not trying to take your shine but I'd rather Guerrilla, if they were willing to return to the Killzone franchise, set it during the 1st exostellar war and focus more on a civil war taking place on Helghan being fueled by an ISA operative. This operative would be player designed much like a Soulsborne character. Objectives would be given via a planetside handler and could be approached from a multitude of ways. I guess the ultimate goal of the game in my mind is to destabilize the regime internally to where they're fighting a war on two fronts and to turn the inhabitants of Helgan against the empire and somehow assassinate the Autarch in the state of tumult engulfing the planet, giving way for the ISA to install a person of their choosing...who'd turn out to be Visari who in time grew disgusted with the exploitation of Helgan and launches the 2nd Exostellar War that you see in KZ1/2/3.

I'm not what direction they should go in terms of camera perspective but I wouldn't be opposed to either honestly. MP would have Warzone and individual modes that make up warzone in addition to the main draw...Battle Royale and all the MTX that you mentioned but it'd all be cosmetic.

I want all of this to be true so badly.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Makes sense as in February they hired the director of Rainbow Six: Siege and he's currently listed as directing a project. That seems unlikely to be Horizon 2 as his expertise has been in competitive FPS games.
Simon Larouche also worked on Splinter Cell: Blacklist's multiplayer and Watch Dogs 2's AI, so I wouldn't say competitive FPS's are where his expertise is.

Having said that, I'm putting my money on him directing a separate co-op mode for Horizon 2. I think it makes a lot of sense considering co-op was in the original Horizon pitch, it fits perfectly with Horizon's mechanics and world and Guerrilla have way too much experience with multiplayer to completely abandon it.

Glad to see. Horizon is one of my favorites this gen. Would this make them Sony's biggest studio?
Nope, Japan Studio is larger, though they're split up between numerous teams.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
look at the lineup they pushed out and look at what they still have ahead.
who in their right mind says this?
It's certainly fair to praise other platform holders for increasing focus on first party. But yeah, it's curious to see the whole "resting on their laurels" thing when we were just shown 4 first party games that will more than likely be 8-10/10 quality exclusives over the next two years lol.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
Guerrilla made HZD with 250 people, what are Bungie doing with their people? Did they give everyone half a year off every year??

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I want a proper Killzone 4 in the vein of Killzone 2 that completely retcons Shadowfall.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
There have been discussions in the Sony first-party thread and others about if Sony should buy more studios to counter MS' E3 announcement

Growing NaughtyDog, Guerilla Games, Sony Santa Monica and Sucker Punch into even bigger studios makes more sense than outright buying new studios. Its hard to get studio management and culture right, so investing in studios were thats already nailed down seems like a smarter thing to do.
Also, I think if Death Stranding turns out well they might as well buy KojiPro. They have a very good relationship, the studio is already using the Decima Engine and actively working on it, too. It would be a logical step.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon was incredible

Killzone 2 (and i guess 3) we're amazing as well

Guerilla deserves all the staff and support they can get for Horizon 2.

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
Horizon 2 with co-op and seamless multiplayer (optional of course) would be awesome. I wouldn't mind it at all if I could just be traveling through the world of Horizon 2 and randomly encounter another player fighting a Thunderjaw.

I'm so hyped for the possibilities. I wonder if they'll work aerial travel.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know how big Polyphony Digital is? I imagine pretty big? I would love it if they could develop an arcade racer. Become big enough to work on Gran Turismo, and another IP. With Evolution gone, it's time.

Oct 25, 2017
Reboot Killzone back to this,
Kzlboxart.jpg

with these characters

forget everything that followed.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Hot Damn, GG is now with the big boys ND and SSM. I can't wait to see Horizon 2 on PS5. Bring it on you tech wizards. So so glad Sony is investing more and more into First party Studios. :D

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Before we get all "Ooo new IP!", them staffing up further for Horizon 2 could very well an attempt at curbing a strong need for outsourcing which happens a ton in AAA dev and is costly.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
look at the lineup they pushed out and look at what they still have ahead.
who in their right mind says this?

They do need a bit of an expansion even if it's not full on AAA games and just more $40 games. Most of these games that sony's released and are releasing have taken 5+ years to make, even if they can drop that to 3 that can still leave some considerable gaps in their lineup. The first couple years of this gen were really barren and quality was iffy with the few sony games that did come out.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain

It's pretty clear since last March PR.
http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2018/180301.html

Increasingly, the value of interactive entertainment is differentiated by the broad spectrum and depth of experiences that it provides to customers. As such, SIE's mission to create and develop the most attractive and powerful first party titles has become more important than ever. To fulfill this purpose, also effective April 1, Shawn Layden, current Chairman of Worldwide Studios (WWS) and SIEA President, will concentrate his focus on WWS continuing to provide platform-defining content that helps drive the growth of SIE.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I hope they focus also with 400 employees on one game but with a much shorter developement time.

Horizon needed over 5 years and that is too long.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Get me a Killzone with KZ2's map quality, KZ3's Operations mode. Push Decima to steady 60fps for multi.

Their creativity with HZD's premise makes me curious of what else they might have cooking too.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
There have been discussions in the Sony first-party thread and others about if Sony should buy more studios to counter MS' E3 announcement
That E3 stage announcement was greatly designed PR more than it was a great expansion of their first party.

I would say that of those 5 only the newly formed AAA studio The Initiative is an impactful expansion to MS's first party and that is countered (to use your language, because it's not created as a counter to MS) by the rumoured new Sony studio in San Diego.
2 of the acquisitions were studios that were already exclusively working on Xbox games, so they are not an expansion.
The remaining 2 are just a small (Compulsion) and a medium (Ninja Theory) sized studio and even when you add all 5 to MS's portfolio Sony still has more first party studios and much more proven, established studios.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
I rather any new project not be Killzone.
Horizon shows that those guys are talented and Killzone is just a bland franchise.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think they need to - MS didn't get many 'new' studios, others were already effectively '2nd party' and closely partnered with them.

This move feels more like Sony looking at reinforcing one of their first party studios and turning it into a flagship like ND. And with the increase they should have the capacity to be working on two games at a time.