• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Why would Pratt be bothered by having to play gay character?

If anything Pratt would be one of those people that doesn't understand why he shouldn't play LGBT characters in new roles instead of not wanting to play them at all.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
This run is exceptional, by the way. Easily the best Guardians has been since DnA, and maybe better. Just read it.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Why would Pratt be bothered by having to play gay character?

If anything Pratt would be one of those people that doesn't understand why he shouldn't play LGBT characters in new roles instead of not wanting to play them at all.
His church, Hillsong, is notoriously anti LGBT, and may actually be a grift taking advantage of troubled celebrities.

www.mercurynews.com

Is Chris Pratt’s evangelical church really welcoming to LGBTQ people?

Chris Pratt is a member of a new-style evangelical church that is modeled after the Hillsong megachurch whose pastor has said it doesn’t “affirm a gay lifestyle.”

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Article
600ChrisPratt.jpg

I wonder what Chris Pratt thinks about that...
He thought Chris Traeger was a beautiful man.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
So we'll see him wink at a man in one scene in GOTG3 and that will be the "gay moment" that will be whispered about for 3 weeks before release. Got it.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
He can attend the church and still disagree with the views that the place holds. I wouldn't automatically call people who go there extremely homophobic. I looked up celebrities who have went there and it lists so many high profile people like Selena Gomez or even Hailee Steinfeld who was cast as Kate Bishop. Some of these people are very vocal about supporting LGBT causes and giving a voice to underrepresented groups.

It also brings up the question regarding whether you can be Christian while also not be homophobic because the text Christians revere so much disparages people in LGBT communities. At the end of the day you can reject parts of the message.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
And the agent is explaining that in his huge 500 page contract he signed to Disney on page 386 right next to the soul clause there is a "i will be ok to make out with another man" clause

Goddammit Andy.

MAZajey.gif

I truly hate synergy. MCU should remain its own thing, not bleed into comics, cartoons, etc. Ugh.

Oh baby Marvel's been on that synergy life since the dawn of the millennium at least. They came up with a whole storyline just to give Peter Parker organic web-shooters and the first main X-Men series of the century had them in black leather jackets.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Goddammit Andy.

MAZajey.gif

Oh baby Marvel's been on that synergy life since the dawn of the millennium at least. They came up with a whole storyline just to give Peter Parker organic web-shooters and the first main X-Men series of the century had them in black leather jackets.
Hey, sometimes it works. Iron Man was entirely unlikeable for the majority of his comic appearances. After RDJ brought such charisma and humor to the role, they pretty much made that the version we'd get going forward.

There was also Blade in comics:
original-blade-561x500.jpg

Blade in comics after the movies:
250px-Blade_%28Marvel_Comics%29.png

... But, yeah, mostly the movies influence the comics. Let me know when Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver are mutants and Magneto's kids again.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
No one else is kinda bothered that this news is mostly being used ITT to attack Chris Pratt? Like just admit you don't care and only want to dump on someone you already don't like

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
This reminded me of that stupid old Charlie Sheen meme for some reason

It feels like Starlord would say something like that

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
No one else is kinda bothered that this news is mostly being used ITT to attack Chris Pratt? Like just admit you don't care and only want to dump on someone you already don't like

Chris Pratt has always been ERA's one actor to dogpile on. At least now there are legitimate criticisms (such as him belonging to a church modelled after/founder Hillsong, he actually goes to a church called Zoe Church).

I remember the internet and some at era losing their minds because he prayed for Kevin Smith after his heart attack.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, sometimes it works. Iron Man was entirely unlikeable for the majority of his comic appearances. After RDJ brought such charisma and humor to the role, they pretty much made that the version we'd get going forward.

... But, yeah, mostly the movies influence the comics. Let me know when Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver are mutants and Magneto's kids again.

Oh I ain't hating on it, I just like to bring it up especially in regards to the MCU, since a lot of people have the misconception that the brand synergy is being enforced by Disney post-buyout, when in truth they've always been like this and it's just being noticed more now because Marvel has never had something as culturally impactful as the MCU before.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
he belongs to a church that it's founding church has some homophobic views, I don't Believe he has ever shared Those views on social media.
He follows some really shitty people though, so it's highly likely he's just not open about his views in order to not hurt his career.

He's been pretty damn silent on a lot things in the past year whereas other celebrities have made more open and positive stances.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
I have a question, why marvel not make a new character for LGBT Represention?

Didn't Iceman get backlash a lot from this?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They'll hold hands for a single scene so they can edit it out for China.
Apparently there is a kiss but that's also easy to bury as we saw with star wars.

What's funny though is that there was recently a marvel movie that had a very prominent LGBT love story. Just so happens that nobody watched it.

New Mutants

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
He follows some really shitty people though, so it's highly likely he's just not open about his views in order to not hurt his career.

He's been pretty damn silent on a lot things in the past year whereas other celebrities have made more open and positive stances.

not going to lie, twitter follows doesn't really move the needle that much for me. And while it's great that other actors are much more open and positive about their stances, that doesn't necessarily disqualify someone in my eyes.

that being said people like letitia Wright and Gina Corano definitely have much more to answer for.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Nope. Comic book Blade was redesigned in 1992 for Nightstalkers #1, and the movies were basically the same look.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017

For the MCU movies they are afraid because if it's a too big part of the film then they cannot sell it in markets like China. So it usually end up being a scene that is easily cut or dubbed over with something else.

They might go all in with Young Avengers on Disney+ though as it won't matter on that front.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

Marvel does create new characters that are gay/bi/trans - but they usual don't get too famous or they don't get threads made on Era.

Wiccan and Hulking are two of the most beloved characters in comics right now and they just got married.
empyre-4-1-1.jpg

Squirrel Girl's friend Koi Boi was trans but they never really came out and stated it-but the clues were there.
kb_binder.png

But to know that, you have to really be paying attention, because nobody's said it in the comic yet. There was a scene in The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #9 in which his binder was visible as he changed into his costume in an alley. That issue came out at the end of June, but just last night on Twitter a couple of queer comics creators were discussing the scene, and Magdalene Visaggio tagged Squirrel Girl artist Erica Henderson into the conversation and asked directly: "Is that a binder?" Henderson did not hesitate to answer.

Read More: Give 'Em Elle: Koi Boi and Trans Representation | https://comicsalliance.com/give-em-...-girl/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral
Someone asked the artist on Twitter and she confirmed:

kb_friends.png

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah because Disney is really gonna allow / show two men kissing /s

YOU'LL HAVE TWO MEN HOLDING HANDS RIGHT AT THE BACK OF THE SHOT AND YOU'LL LIKE IT!!

(I for one think it's cool Star-Lord is bi)

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
A little offtopic but It really is a shame about Chris Pratt. Rewatching Parks and Rec, and he was so funny and charismatic. Even Guardians 1 he was extremely relatable and he fit the role well. Then it all sort of....spiraled down from there.

grand

Oct 25, 2017

His church is garbage but there's no evidence that Pratt himself is homophobic. Doubt he would've hidden it this long in Hollywood if he was.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

The backlash had nothing to with Bobby being gay (in fact if you have read since X-Men #1 by Lee and Kirby up until his outing Icemans entire arc makes a lot more sense as closeted versus straight) No the issue had to do with how Bendis just did it out of nowhere, had Jean read his mind and out him so both fictionally as a telepath and just in general that is two ethical no-no's that Bendis tried portraying as fine. Never mind the bi-phobia and erasure in the entire sequence.

As for thread topic, yeah Ewing is doing amazing work both conventionally and representation wise ( Trans stuff in Immortal Hulk) though Pete being Bi has nothing on Hercules and Marvel Boy hooking up mid-battle between different groups of guardians.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He seems to be firmly in the "my church is not homophobic, it welcomes everyone camp".

Ie the people who willingly ignore the leaders of the church who through words and actions doing the complete opposite to accepting everyone.

At best he is naive and ignorant, choosing to ignore the obvious hateful actions of his church to pretend he is still part of it without facing the truth. At worst he is straight up being dishonest and just doesn't want to damage his career.

I'd tend to think he is the type who strongly identifies as religious... without actually putting any actual thought into what that means. This isn't ideal but if the world could get back to religion just being a half assed idea it would probably be better.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As for thread topic, yeah Ewing is doing amazing work both conventionally and representation wise ( Trans stuff in Immortal Hulk) though Pete being Bi has nothing on Hercules and Marvel Boy hooking up mid-battle between different groups of guardians.
Well, considering Hercules is involved, that's just being faithful to classical mythology, really. Bisexuality (or outright homosexuality) wasn't exactly uncommon in Greek myth (Achilles and Patroclus being the most prominent example), and I'm pretty sure Herakles had his fair share of male lovers.

Not diminishing it in any way, just amusing to me as a "well, no shit that Hercules is bi" sort of way.

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017
Marvel: "Star-Lord is bi! 🏳️‍🌈🥳🎉"

Also Marvel: "No, not that Star-Lord."

Yeah as someone who doesn't follow Marvel stuff I'm confused. Are the MCU and comics separate universes?

Either way I'm not a fan. Either a character's sexuality is different depending on which cannon they're from or a bi character is going to be played by a straight guy who goes to a bigoted church. No thanks.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well, considering Hercules is involved, that's just being faithful to classical mythology, really. Bisexuality (or outright homosexuality) wasn't exactly uncommon in Greek myth (Achilles and Patroclus being the most prominent example), and I'm pretty sure Herakles had his fair share of male lovers.

Not diminishing it in any way, just amusing to me as a "well, no shit that Hercules is bi" sort of way.
Yeah, and Marvel Hercules was already canonically Bi. It was more the fact that him and Noh-Varr Just start getting it on when there is a literal battle going on around them.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah as someone who doesn't follow Marvel stuff I'm confused. Are the MCU and comics separate universes?
They ultimately are. While the movies take inspiration from the comics, and vice versa, ultimately they are entirely separate. The Guardians of the Galaxy in the films are barely anything like their incarnations in the comics, as much as I like both portrayals.