• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

UK culture secretary to ask Netflix for 'health warning' that The Crown is fictional | The Crown | The Guardian

Oliver Dowden says younger viewers might take historical drama’s portrayal as fact
The culture secretary plans to write to Netflix and request a "health warning" is played before The Crown so viewers are aware that the historical drama is a work of fiction, he said in an intervention that prompted criticism.

Oliver Dowden said that without the caveat younger viewers who did not live through the events might "mistake fiction for fact" following complaints that the fourth series of the drama had abused its artistic licence and fabricated events.

He told the Mail on Sunday: "It's a beautifully produced work of fiction, so as with other TV productions, Netflix should be very clear at the beginning it is just that … Without this, I fear a generation of viewers who did not live through these events may mistake fiction for fact."

At present viewers are warned that the show contains nudity, sex, violence and suicide references, and is suitable for viewers who are 15 and older.
The historical drama's fourth season, which focuses on the late 1970s and 80s with the rise and fall of Margaret Thatcher, the Falklands conflict and Lady Diana Spencer's marriage to Prince Charles, has evoked much criticism.

Accusations of inaccuracies in Peter Morgan's production span from repeatedly showing the Queen "wrongly dressed for trooping the colour" to disputes over Charles' fishing technique.

But the biggest bones of contention have been around the depiction of Charles' marriage to Diana. He is portrayed phoning Camilla Parker Bowles every day in the early years of the marriage, and Diana is depicted as forcing plans for the couple's trip to Australia to be changed after throwing a tantrum.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
As an American that knows nothing about British politics, is this show easily accessible?

Spidey

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Prince Andrew is featured but doesn't rape any children, so I guess there's some truth to this criticism.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
As an American that knows nothing about British politics, is this show easily accessible?
No different than other shows to be honest. Though I'd you're at all familiar with the history of Princess Diana, this season stirring emotions among the royal house is not surprising.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017

Given that the show is basically fiction, I wouldn't worry about understanding what's going on. Just expect regular family drama ramped up on the basis of the people being rich and one of them being the monarch.

Oct 22, 2020
I held off on watching The Crown for several years due to my deep dislike of monarchies of any kind, but now that I'm on Season 3, I'm pleasantly surprised that it's actually fairly critical of the crown as an institution.

Glad to see it's pissing off Tories and royalist weirdos in the UK.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I think so. I jumped in straight at season 3 entirely for Olivia Coleman and Helena BC because they are amazing and I felt like I slid right in no problem.
No different than other shows to be honest. Though I'd you're at all familiar with the history of Princess Diana, this season stirring emotions among the royal house is not surprising.
Given that the show is basically fiction, I wouldn't worry about understanding what's going on. Just expect regular family drama ramped up on the basis of the people being rich and one of them being the monarch.
Thanks all!

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I don't watch it but i hope they do the very real incident where Charles tells Camilla he wants to be her tampon.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I somehow knew when I read what time period they were mad about. That they were gonna be mad about the depiction of Charles marriage to Diana lol.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine complaining that one of the characters was fishing incorrectly on a tv show.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
Dysfunctional German family abroad.

Question, do these "people" lose their rights to live in the UK after Brexit?

Where is Priti Patel when you need her?

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
This is pretty ridiculous, but then I have seen a lot of dumbasses on social media displaying their inability to process the fact this is a fictionalised account of history. Shouldn't surprise me considering how some people will threaten actors for portraying a character they don't like.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I understand where this is coming from or why a state would put out a statement like this, but it oddly validates the series' portrayal of British leaders as being stuffy, obsessed with image, and doing whatever they can to control it.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
They've got remarkably thin skin for a country that spent hundreds of years rampaging around the globe committing genocides

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
There is a strong obsession with the royal family in Britain. I'd say it's even worse than celebrity worship here in America.

It's not just England, I live in Canada and people are aghast when you ask why they're ok with the Queen being on their banknotes.

I'm originally from Ireland so I have zero time for them

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I somehow knew when I read what time period they were mad about. That they were gonna be mad about the depiction of Charles marriage to Diana lol.

Oh this was giving the royal family themselves some pretty cold feet, right from when Nettoox announced when the next couple of seasons would take place. They openly announced plans that they'd be boycotting the show.

Hilarious when you keep in mind that they'd been perfectly fine with The Crown up until now. (It was also never a secret that Charles always cared more for Camilla. Spitting Image were doing jokes about it since the 80's.)

Given how the Tories are normally perfectly fine with fictionalised accounts about benefit claimants that paint them in a negative light, you'd think that they'd be perfectly fine with a drama that paints an imperfect image of those that claim the most public money of all. 🤔

latex

Jul 5, 2018
I held off on watching The Crown for several years due to my deep dislike of monarchies of any kind, but now that I'm on Season 3, I'm pleasantly surprised that it's actually fairly critical of the crown as an institution.
Season 4 (particularly the "Fagan" and "The Hereditary Principle" episodes) is absolutely devastating in its commentary on the family and the crown. They've fully committed to the upper echelon soap opera vibe and it's probably my favorite season of the series yet!

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're obviously a peasant of some kind, wanting to be a bloodied tampon is a display of kingship and class.
They were private conversations between two lovers, not really anyone's business what stupid shit they said to each other.

On topic, this is hilarious. From what I've heard of the series the portrayals are pretty accurate.

May 19, 2020
can someone explain the obsession with the UK royals, this would be like people in america obsessed with worshipping the rockefellers or something

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't care less about the royal family, but as someone who has been negatively affected by people believing fiction, and treating bullshit racist imaginary stereotypes as facts, I agree with explaining that everything on TV is fiction. Because you won't believe how dumb the average person can be.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Reminder that there's a scene in this show that frames Kwame Nkrumah - the first prime minister/president of independent Ghana - giving a speech about African independence like he's Emperor Palpatine.

Like, yeah, in the later years of his rule, he could be argued to be a dictator, but come the fuck on, man.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
can someone explain the obsession with the UK royals, this would be like people in america obsessed with worshipping the rockefellers or something

The impression I get is people in the UK (mostly older conservatives) love the royal family because they're seen as the last remnant from a time when "The British Empire" was actually thing. Plus there's a fuckload of tourist money to be made in keeping the royal family vaguely relevant. It works, too. I mean every time one of those kids gets married it's like the entire western world grinds to a halt for 24 hours.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The impression I get is people in the UK (mostly older conservatives) love the royal family because they're seen as the last remnant from a time when "The British Empire" was actually thing. Plus there's a fuckload of tourist money to be made in keeping the royal family vaguely relevant. It works, too. I mean every time one of those kids gets married it's like the entire western world grinds to a halt for 24 hours.

How do the French draw in all those tourists without the royals tho?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
They were private conversations between two lovers, not really anyone's business what stupid shit they said to each other.

On topic, this is hilarious. From what I've heard of the series the portrayals are pretty accurate.

Nah, not when the fucker has an enormous wedding put on at public expense, and he's already at it with her. this isn't the regency period.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Lol, I was expecting warning about Diana's eating disorder not hurt feelings.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
The Crown is fiction but your first clue to that should be that The Queen is depicted as oscar winning actress Olivia Colman.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do the French draw in all those tourists without the royals tho?
The tourism argument for the royal family is completely bogus - there's literally no evidence for it, and as you've argued, plenty of republics enjoy a booming tourism industry. I've tried to discuss that here and on the old site, though, and some people become frothing at the mouth Daily Mail readers at the thought that the royal family is anything but a great thing.

I've never watched The Crown, but from what I gather it's not the BBC sanitised version of the royal family that many people have come to believe they are, so obviously a bunch of flag waving nincompoops are upset about it.

Regardless, I feel the family's lustre has worn off in recent years. Charles has never been particularly loved, a lot of younger people are appalled at the way Harry and Meghan have been treated, and then there's the issue of the family closing ranks to protect the royal nonce.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
The UK culture secretary is a herb. I despise these people, the only culture they know is jobs for the boys and exploitation. Dowden, what a complete and utter drip

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried watching this show for like 15 minutes (just the recent season) ... it had Diana dressed in a tree theater outfit acting like a 7th grader .... I mean do you really need a disclaimer saying this is fictional? It's very obvious a lot of that is made up.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018

Yup. I see the hate in this thread and name calling of people who are fine with a monarchy, but ignoring those emotionally charged people and, looking at reality, they do actually make a fuckload of money. I know from seeing it firsthand many times, due to being Windsor based.

Oct 25, 2017
The tourism argument for the royal family is completely bogus - there's literally no evidence for it, and as you've argued, plenty of republics enjoy a booming tourism industry. I've tried to discuss that here and on the old site, though, and some people become frothing at the mouth Daily Mail readers at the thought that the royal family is anything but a great thing.

I honestly don't understand the belief that tourism would be impacted. The umpteen palaces and courts dotted around the country would still be there, you'd still be able to buy whatever tat you wanted, if anything there would be even more of it.

I think the wider point is that the royalists know that they're kinda fucked in this country once the Queen passes away or abdicates. Charles is wholly inadequate yet destined for the crown and although William may foster a similar sense of loyalty as his mother for some it seems that may be expecting too much of younger people in this country.

My belief is that the biggest thing they have to fear is indifference, rather than ridicule or all-out distrust.

There's an interesting breakdown here:

yougov.co.uk

Royal popularity: Harry and Meghan drop significantly | YouGov

The latest update to the YouGov Royal Favourability tracker sees Harry and Meghan’s scores reach their lowest point to date

Along with some background data here:

One point that is somewhat unsurprising but interesting to see spelled out in a survey is that amongst older age groups each member of the royal family is more popular than amongst younger age groups, except for Harry and Meghan who are more popular with younger people than older people.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
What you would lose from tourists not being able to see actual royals anymore would be more than made up by greater access to the properties and estates.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
When making shows about real-life people, it is not exactly bad to state it concerns a fictionalized account.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Embarrassing.

Many in the UK have this weird respect for Royals.

It's a drama sure, filling in the blanks, squeezing the time line but most of the stuff is actually true, people have either forgot or tried to not remember.