• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
One of the criticism of the EU. To say nothing of how well they get so many other things. EU is fantastic in so many ways and frequently force for good. But in terms of functioning. Everyone knows the EU is slow and beauracratic. Just the nature of having to build consensus among so many parties.

Although, when France or Germany wants to do something they can just bulldoze away.

Reason why Ireland wasn't even notified of triggering article 16. You know triggering article 16, imposing control on the Irish border in direct contradiction to Good Friday. They didn't even bother running it by Ireland. That is just incredible.

Absolutely insane how the EU has handled all of this. Just shameful. Overly aggressive bullies here.
It is clear you arent inside the EU when most of EU press is actually telling EU they should be even more of a bullies than they already are. EU media and EU citizens want the EU to give them what they promised (and what EU was promised).
The Ireland thing was clearly a misunderstanding that shouldnt have happened tho.

Also, saying France and Germany are able to do whatever they want whenever they get into an agreement is also something that (almost) never happens.

OP
OP

jdawg

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
I think the Guardian is misreading completely the reason for the unhappiness here. A lot of people and media want EU to be way more bullies regarding the vaccines than they already are. I'm not sure how that qualifies as an advert for Brexit, but you do you.

Doesn't seem like you read the quotes or the articles.

It being an advert for Brexit is what the European media is saying, not Guardian. Guardian is so pro EU they'd never say that.

And they are all criticising what the EU is doing in relation to Britain, in terms of being bullies as you would say. Like I said, you can just read the quotes and articles.

I think its difficult to argue against what the EU media is criticising about their own governments.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem like you read the quotes or the articles.

It being an advert for Brexit is what the European media is saying, not Guardian. Guardian is so pro EU they'd never say that.

And they are all criticising what the EU is doing in relation to Britain, in terms of being bullies as you would say. Like I said, you can just read the quotes and articles.

This are handpicked quotes by the Guardian to build a story that is showing only one side of the discussion. As I said the rather more present mood for people and media here, inside the EU, is that EU is not bully enough.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Except what the article really says is this:

Langsam und bürokratisch: Viele Briten sehen ihre Vorurteile gegen die EU durch den Streit um den AstraZeneca-Impfstoff bestätigt.
Slow and beaurocratic. Many Brits see their anti EU bias confirmed because of the argument between AstraZeneca and the EU

It's clear neither you nor the guardian speak german very well.

Seems like the guardian read the headline and just went with it

OP
OP

jdawg

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
This are handpicked quotes by the Guardian to build a story that is showing only one side of the discussion. As I said the rather more present mood for people and media here, inside the EU, is that EU is not bully enough.

handpicked by the Guardian, the most pro EU paper in the world. LMAO

Just handpicked, you know, the biggest newspapers in the Europe. Gasp! How dare you trick us with a complete picture.

that is one weird conspiracy theory

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

It's clear neither you nor the guardian speak german very well

Even more, it's a quote from an AZ employee.

Die EU-Kommission macht im Streit um die Lieferverzögerung des AstraZeneca-Impfstoffs gerade die beste Werbung für den Brexit: Sie agiert langsam, bürokratisch und protektionistisch. Und wenn etwas schiefläuft, sind die anderen schuld. So sehen viele Britinnen und Briten die EU und so bestätigten sich Anfang der Woche die Vorurteile. "Jetzt verstehe ich den Brexit besser", sagte ein Mitarbeiter von AstraZeneca im Fernsehen.

Y-Z

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Germany, the Netherlands and Italy together agreee to buy vaccins the fastest in Europe. As soon as they decided to give the deal to the EU everything slowed down. As a Dutch person I think this is a terrible advert for EU collaboration. We acted fast and responsible and the EU kinda fucked us.

Last edited:
OP
OP

jdawg

Banned
Nov 26, 2020

LMAO

Its clear you're either dishonest or just really really missing something obvious. What is the name of the article you are quoting.

The headline for the article you are quoting is literally " THE BEST ADVERTISEMENT FOR BREXIT"

So no, it is the German media saying this

These bizarre assertions that Guardian is hiding some anti EU bias is just pure ignorance and conspiracy theory. It makes anyone who says that just seem thick and lacking credibility

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
the Guardian, the most pro EU paper in the world. LMAO

LMAO indeed.

LMAO

Its clear you're either dishonest or just really really missing something obvious. What is the name of the article you are quoting.

The headline for the article you are quoting is literally " THE BEST ADVERTISEMENT FOR BREXIT"

It's a quote from an AstraZeneca employee. It's there in the first paragraph of the article in Zeit.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO

Titles and subtitles. How do they work? (Subtitles give more context to the title, in this case that the best advertisement for Brexit is among the UK people).

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
LMAO

Ah so you're just gonna ignore the whole context of the article and go with the headline.

That seems very on point for british EU discourse

nacimento

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, nobody in Germany cares about Article 16 right now. The discussion has been for weeks between those saying that it was correct to let the EU purrchase but it was done badly and those saying it was a mistake to make the EU purchase at all and therefore the German government failed.

I'd say the export barriers are not really seen as bad, at most people criticize it for being only about the EU saving face.

But the Commission purchasing programme certainly was a clusterfuck and I could see it souring the opinion on the EU with some people here in Germany (not that anyone would want to leave, no one sane wants that). Also a lot of blame thrown at France due to the rumour that France wanted less BionTech and more Sanofi.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The article 16 thing should not be handwaved away as "just a mistake that was quickly rectified". It was an absurd, outsized, outrageous reaction that would have threatened security in a member state and handed ammunition directly to the bloc's enemies, and even with them walking it back it's going to have repercussions with the EU's relations with the UK for a long time to come. Anyone who contributed to that decision should be drummed out, regardless of the walkback.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Article 16 was a really bad idea and it's good that it didn't happen in the end, but it is nowhere to be seen in Austrian media on the frontpages. Or on the second pages for that matter.

Edit: oh, and I'm fine with Ursula quitting over this.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017

Slow and beaurocratic. Many Brits see their anti EU bias confirmed because of the argument between AstraZeneca and the EU

Seems like the fact this thread was made is a perfect exemple of it.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
Germany, the Netherlands and Italy together agree to buy vaccins the fastest in Europe. As son as they decided to give the deal to the EU everything slowed down. As a Dutch person I think this is a terrible advert for EU collaboration. We acted fast and responsible and the EU kinda fucked us.

Nah, it was still a good idea to do this with the entire EU. To have some members states be left out in the cold would be unpalatable. We ordered enough vaccines and the schedule was okay, it's just all producers are struggling to deliver on time.
We could have been more on top of this, demanding more updates and keep track of exports. The EC is now doing this, although in a more panicky way than I would have preferred. But in the end there simply aren't enough vaccines to go around for everyone.

Some countries managed to jump the queue like Israel, good for them, but only possible because they need less, paid a premium and are volunteering all patient data. This couldn't have worked for the entire EU.

Buck Dancer

Oct 27, 2017
You don't need PWC and KPMG and McKinsey to do audits for mucho dinero on the same exact issue. Complaining about systemic inefficiency as you waste money on duplicate audits, while your jets are grounded and your subs are stuck at the pier due to lack of spare parts contracts is disingenous.

McKinsey is not an auditing firm. It is shitty consultancy services packaged as expert solutions however.

Vlodril

Dec 18, 2017
Both this thread and the previous one are weird in the aspect that people keep talking about brexit (i am a remainer or whatever) and at this point who cares? The uk is out. It's done. Everyone has moved on. Why mention it?

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
The article 16 thing should not be handwaved away as "just a mistake that was quickly rectified". It was an absurd, outsized, outrageous reaction that would have threatened security in a member state and handed ammunition directly to the bloc's enemies, and even with them walking it back it's going to have repercussions with the EU's relations with the UK for a long time to come. Anyone who contributed to that decision should be drummed out, regardless of the walkback.

To be honest, the idea that the EU can instantly impose a hard border on a member state without notifying anyone is quite worrying. Sure it can be brushed off as a mistake, but the idea that there are people in positions of power that don't really understand the situation or can't act with a cool head makes you wonder who really is in control.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Both this thread and the previous one are weird in the aspect that people keep talking about brexit (i am a remainer or whatever) and at this point who cares? The uk is out. It's done. Everyone has moved on. Why mention it?
Because it has a continued effect on everything related to the economy, imports, exports, goods and people, not to mention the reputation of those who pushed for or against it in politics and the press? Brexit has happened, but we all have to live with the consequences, and the only reason they aren't constant front page news is Covid.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Because the fact that the EU announced that they'd be imposing a hard border in Ireland under the terms of the Brexit deal is a huge part of this story?

Katharsios

Mar 18, 2020
Germany
To be honest, the idea that the EU can instantly impose a hard border on a member state without notifying anyone is quite worrying. Sure it can be brushed off as a mistake, but the idea that there are people in positions of power that don't really understand the situation or can't act with a cool head makes you wonder who really is in control.
The idea that the english government can deny the scots a second Referendum after the first one was over staying in the EU and than brexiting is so f#ed up!

Mar 3, 2019
Overall, the crisis has highlighted how poorly organised the EU is, especially when it comes to matters of health and medicine. Everything is taking so much longer than compared with the US (which I feel are a better comparison point than the UK, which is just one small country compared with the entire EU).

I think with Brexit it just shows how much German interests drive most of the EU right now. The recent China deal despite the uyghur situation was made so the Chinese market would be available to German car manufacturers, among other things. It's embarrassing for the EU that the UK was the voice of morality by calling out the uyghur genocide going on.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
The idea that the english government can deny the scots a second Referendum after the first one was over staying in the EU and than brexiting is so f#ed up!

That's a whole other can of worms, with IMO valid arguments on both sides. If you ask me, the SNP should of found a way to get another referendum 4 years ago rather than sitting around waiting to get dragged out and then having to re-enter the EU from the outside.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
That's a whole other can of worms, with IMO valid arguments on both sides. If you ask me, the SNP should of found a way to get another referendum 4 years ago rather than sitting around waiting to get dragged out and then having to re-enter the EU from the outside.

The public support just wasn't there up until about a year ago.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
As someone who has always been a defender of the EU they screwed up badly here. They either misunderstood how the vaccine production process works or they did and they played it for political purposes. Either way they really do not come out of this looking good. Especially here in Ireland after they were going to activate article 16 of the Northern Ireland protocol.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
The Guardian is a left-leaning liberal pro-EU publication that has done nothing but shit on Brexit since day one. They're simply quoting the European press.

They are quoting (some) right-wing papers and AZ employees.
From 28 member states.
From 450 million people.
From thousands of Newspapers.
You can find ANY belief and story.