• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Adapted pig hearts could be transplanted into patients within three years, according to a report citing the surgeon who pioneered heart transplantation in the UK.

"If the result of xenotransplantation is satisfactory with porcine kidneys to humans, then it is likely that hearts would be used with good effects in humans within a few years," the 87-year-old said. "If it works with a kidney, it will work with a heart. That will transform the issue."

The anatomy and physiology of a pig's heart is similar to that of a human's, so they are used as models for developing new treatments. Hopes for a successful heart attack treatment were raised in May after a genetic therapy showed promise in pigs.

This is amazing. Also, I can't get over why pigs are the closest to us in this regard...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
but my wife already has the heart of a pig! and the face of one too!

/boomer

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Heard the procedure is only going to be performed at Epic Game Store

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean? Why not. If it helps people, considering I feel like there's probably a shortage of transplant hearts (assumption)..

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Great news. Now I can not worry about ruining my heart with all that bacon.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
388921.gif

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
God, those stupid "hurr hurr you posted it in the game section so im going to say something vaguely related" jokes have never once been funny.

This is good news though, a lot easier to get pig hearts than human hearts for obvious reasons. Heart surgery is always going to be super dangerous regardless but this could save a lot of lives.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
If you had a pig heart, wouldn't that technically make you no longer human?

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
God, those stupid "hurr hurr you posted it in the game section so im going to say something vaguely related" jokes have never once been funny.

This is good news though, a lot easier to get pig hearts than human hearts for obvious reasons. Heart surgery is always going to be super dangerous regardless but this could save a lot of lives.
You right now.
tenor.gif

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Obviously you'd still be a human, but if a major part of you (your heart) was pig, where is the cutoff where you'd be considered a hybrid? I mean if replacing human parts with machines makes you a cyborg, when does replacing human parts with animal parts make you something else?

Obviously I'm entirely for this procedure if it works, but It just got me thinking. lol

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
eat too much bacon and have a heart attack
get a new heart from the pig that clogged your arteries

the future is now

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously you'd still be a human, but if a major part of you (your heart) was pig, where is the cutoff where you'd be considered a hybrid? I mean if replacing human parts with machines makes you a cyborg, when does replacing human parts with animal parts make you something else?

Obviously I'm entirely for this procedure if it works, but It just got me thinking. lol
I think you'd need to replace a lot more than one organ lol

That one is at least relevant to the thread! You almost successfully made a funny! Good job.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I think you'd need to replace a lot more than one organ lol
lol Seriously, though, if a major part of your physical being were pig, where is the cutoff? And this is the heart we're talking about here. Not a gallbladder or something.

Obviously I'm half joking, but I find it interesting to think about.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is disgusting

A new case of not because we can, we should