• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Finding that balance between both partners can be tough especially over time and dependent on a wide variety of personal factors

Biology and Health issues
Self esteem, energy, stress, lifestyle
Relationship health and communication

Fuck man there is no painting sex life with a broad brush unless you are some crazy teen/young adult party animal and its all just hormones and chaos
So much this. Talk to your partner. If they find it uncomfortable doing it face to face, try doing it through text. That way they can express exactly what they are feeling and word it correctly. You might discover things that open a whole new aspect to your intimacy.

I often wondered if maybe i had low testosteron. But since i'm quite happy this way i never checked.

Be careful with this. Low testosterone can have detrimental effects on your overall health. If you found your libido was in overdrive, it's possible you were on too high of a dose. Maybe see if your doctor will give you a lower dosage.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
You have to wonder how much of this is a sour grapes thing. Like, if you had hotties throwing themselves at you left and right, would celibacy still seem like a great option?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say probably not.
I mean, it does seem to start as sour grapes. "Man, these people suck. Why did he goes me? Was that kiss meaningless? etc." These negative experience cause angst and disappointment and they took a step back and realized there was more peace outside of the game. I mean, some of these women probably do have pretty hot guys trying to holla', but if they're playing games, some of these jilted women may not want to engage.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
Up until the last month I was not with another person for about ten years! In my opinion it was horrible, I have always preferred snuggles over sex but I'm not going to lie after all that time I think I missed sex way more than I thought I did. Now if only the dating scene was not so heartbreaking for me!🤣

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure I'm not ace, but my ideal relationship definitely doesn't involve any sex. I masturbate all the time but I feel like I'd kinda prefer to keep it that way and focus on doing other things with a partner

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I'd like to stop thinking about it but my brain and junk be like
fbmgWzA.jpg

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, it does seem to start as sour grapes. "Man, these people suck. Why did he goes me? Was that kiss meaningless? etc." These negative experience cause angst and disappointment and they took a step back and realized there was more peace outside of the game. I mean, some of these women probably do have pretty hot guys trying to holla', but if they're playing games, some of these jilted women may not want to engage.
Makes sense.

Sly Chimera

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You have to wonder how much of this is a sour grapes thing. Like, if you had hotties throwing themselves at you left and right, would celibacy still seem like a great option?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say probably not.
Somebody threw up an earlier article where she was getting all these crazy guys on dating apps but then some good guys butttt I guess those didn't work out. Pretty interesting from a columnist who's entire news area is relationships and what not

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
We like to think about how things like Tinder and online dating has made getting laid super easy, but aren't there statistics that suggest that young adults are having less sex overall, particularly guys?
I think one of the statistics was that 30% of all surveyed young male adults didn't have sex in the past year.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I had that urge in my early to mid-20s, but after that I stopped caring and found calmness. Not that I was as good in talking or quick thinking anyway. There are some existential issues eg wtf am I doing in my age, but they aren't related to sex.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
So much this. Talk to your partner. If they find it uncomfortable doing it face to face, try doing it through text. That way they can express exactly what they are feeling and word it correctly. You might discover things that open a whole new aspect to your intimacy.

Be careful with this. Low testosterone can have detrimental effects on your overall health. If you found your libido was in overdrive, it's possible you were on too high of a dose. Maybe see if your doctor will give you a lower dosage.
I never had a dose. And i'm fine. Just curious.
What health effects?

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I never had a dose. And i'm fine. Just curious.
What health effects?

Oh sorry, the person you replied to had taken it.

A lack of testosterone can sometimes have long-term, serious effects on the body. In men with very low levels, the bones can become weak, potentially causing a condition called osteoporosis. Osteoporosis makes people considerably more prone to injury.

One study in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and MetabolismTrusted Source also linked low testosterone to a higher risk of death from heart disease and other causes.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I had a years long dry spell after I lost my virginity, and that time in my life was characterized by insane levels of stress and anxiety, profound loneliness, and heavy depression. When I finally broke the dry spell, I felt like I was flying. Now that I'm in a long-term relationship with someone I love, I still feel like a giddy teenager every time we do it.

If you don't have a high sex drive, that's perfectly okay. You should never feel like sex is an obligation. However, the idea of giving up sex in order to be happier and be able to focus on other things? No, my personal experience is the exact opposite. It was a nightmare.

The same for me.

I'm with an amazing woman who completes me in every way.

We're currently separated until March (living in different states) and the lack of physical contact (not just sex) is driving us insane.

Last edited:

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'm a 34 year old virgin, and I'm passing. I have better things to do with my time, like watch movies, play games, and check up on Era.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
I note that many in this thread seem to equate celibacy (voluntary or otherwise) with a complete lack of physical affection. Has anyone else lived a celibate existence with their partner while simultaneously experiencing a healthy degree of physical affection? Certainly in my case, although the sex was almost non-existent near the end, I still had my hands all over him constantly. (Admittedly, this seemed to only make his struggles with a sexless relationship worse.)

Oct 25, 2017
We like to think about how things like Tinder and online dating has made getting laid super easy, but aren't there statistics that suggest that young adults are having less sex overall, particularly guys?
I think one of the statistics was that 30% of all surveyed young male adults didn't have sex in the past year.

I think the two big factors for that decline, among probably many, is the decreasing independence of young adults (not sure how much sex I'd be having if I lived with my parents) and with dating apps in particular, the idea they are a "rich get richer" situation. If you're hot you can clean up on the apps, but there's way more thirsty dudes and the women can be picky, so ultimately the less-hot guys or anyone with a statistical handicap (Asian men, etc.) are playing from a disadvantage the app has helped magnify.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Sex, marriage, and children will become more and more rare as people find substitutes for the traditional "nuclear family".
Heh, lots of people having sex and children outside of marriage. I don't think those two will be in short supply anytime soon. It's just the "marriage" and "traditional family" being bullshit that finally caught up to them.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anyone is interested in another take on this, I recommend reading the 'Strategic Celebacy' chapter of Pleasure Activism by adrienne maree brown.

Oct 28, 2017
I note that many in this thread seem to equate celibacy (voluntary or otherwise) with a complete lack of physical affection. Has anyone else lived a celibate existence with their partner while simultaneously experiencing a healthy degree of physical affection? Certainly in my case, although the sex was almost non-existent near the end, I still had my hands all over him constantly. (Admittedly, this seemed to only make his struggles with a sexless relationship worse.)
I'm currently in this relationship, kinda. There's not a lot of struggles or frustration on my end. 20 year marriage. Sex life is gone because my spouse has a medical problem that prevents them from having sex on top of what we're realizing was/is some type of asexual orientation, but we're still in love and physical with each other on a daily basis. I have a huge sex drive coupled with an extremely monogamist nature, so there's still nobody better to cuddle in the afterglow phase. Sure, masturbation isn't "as good" as sex but it keeps me content and with the right toys it can be really satisfying.

Last edited: