• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
All these posts about the PS4's noise makes me think I lucked out. No noise at all playing games like God of War or Death Stranding.

I know the pro is loud though. Glad they've worked hard in ensuring airflow is good, hopefully it pays off.

I also feel lucky as I have a base and don't think it runs particularly loud on a consistent basis. I have noticed more noise when I have a disc in than when I play on digital. Very game dependent as well.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Happy to hear. Make consoles as big as they want as long as we get cool and quiet systems.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The Xbox SX has been reported to be effectively whisper quiet. What situation were journalists near the SX where they could have confirmed that?

I'm hoping we get those situations, soon.
I think that was Microsoft saying that rather than journalists. MS have repeatedly said it has been designed to be quiet, even in the marketing on their site. And given S and X I'm inclined to believe them.

I've no doubt PS5 will be quieter than my Pro, but I want whisper-quiet, not just less noisy.

RedPanda

Alt-Account
Banned
May 28, 2020
with the size of that thing, it better act as a noise canceller in my house once I have it.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
My Pro can be noisy at times but comparisons with vacuum cleaners is ridiculous unless there's quiet AF vacuum cleaners I've not seen yet. Vacuum cleaners are several times noisier than any PlayStation lol.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I mean, that should have been very clear during Cerny's presentation considering they detailed how the power draw and clock speeds are handled and why the PS5 won't have the same noise issues as the PS4 Pro. I can see why people are skeptical but the way thermals are handled is completely different from previous consoles.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Dude, it's going to be quiet.

MS aren't some kinds of wizards of silence. They just prioritized silence in designing the XB1 because they envisioned it seeing significant use as a media box and wanted to make sure that the acoustics didn't interfere with that. For, Sony that wasn't a priority. And so the respective boxes were designed as they were: XB1 as a very large, silent box. PS4 as a very small, noisy box.

This time around, Sony has heard the complaints loud and clear. Clearly they were willing to make certain design sacrifices in the name of acoustics, and I don't see any reason to doubt for a second that they succeeded.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Less noisy than base PS4 or the Pro is not something to achieve. Even half the noise of those things is still quite a lot. Given how huge that thing is it better be whisper quiet.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
That's great, because if I'm going to try to squeeze a Dubai skyscraper underneath my TV, it had better be worth the trouble.

Oct 28, 2017
Dude, it's going to be quiet.

MS aren't some kinds of wizards of silence. They just prioritized silence in designing the XB1 because they envisioned it seeing significant use as a media box and wanted to make sure that the acoustics didn't interfere with that. For, Sony that wasn't a priority. And so the respective boxes were designed as they were: XB1 as a very large, silent box. PS4 as a very small, noisy box.

This time around, Sony has heard the complaints loud and clear. Clearly they were willing to make certain design sacrifices in the name of acoustics, and I don't see any reason to doubt for a second that they succeeded.
Doesn't explain the One X though, which was smaller, more powerful, and runs silent compared to the Pro.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
My Ps4 is going to explode when I play TLOU2 on Friday. It was like a train when I was playing FF7

nath999

May 7, 2018
Did they change something in later ps4 pros? I can't remember how long after launch I got a ps4 but mine is not nearly as loud as that video. I don't even notice it most of the time.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
So that's the difference between a jet engine and silence? Sure thing.

It's part of what you pay for, yes.

I don't really know why the conversation has to be characterised by massive exaggerations on both ends. The Xbox One X is not silent. The PS4 Pro does not sound like a jet engine. The X1X is exceptionally quiet for a console and the PS4 Pro is exceptionally loud to the point where it can detract from the experience. Sony have made multiple comments about their measures to ensure it doesn't happen again. Obviously no-one knows for sure but those assuming they'll mess it up seem pretty suspect to me.

Last edited:

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I would be super interested to see a hardware breakdown with the Digital Foundry guys, like microsoft did.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
I have four fans in my pc and can't hear a damn thing no matter what I'm doing on it yet my Destiny PS4 pro can be heard through headphones while it's in the other room. It's terribly designed and they better fix it or they won't have my money this gen.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
And somehow the XSX manages to be smaller with better specs.

And? The Series X GPU isn't running at 2.2+ GHz and uses a more traditional power management system. They took different approaches to the GPU (slow + wide vs fast + narrow; traditional power management vs constant "boost") and each has its own trade-offs. Obviously one of the trade-offs for having a super high clock speed is you need to deal with much higher power draw and more heat, but the difference with PS5 is they don't need to worry about outliers (such as Horizon's map) driving up heat and fan speed. They only have to hit one target.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that Cerny didnt adress the cooling solution being used on the tech presentation makes me think its design is focused on being cost effective while maintaining the noise below jet levels.

I hope its great, but i expect It to just be adequate.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I fuckin hope so

First week of ownership, mine spun up so hard on the God of War map screen that I was worried it would catch fire, and it just kept getting louder and more aggressive with each passing moment until I said "fuck it I'll just navigate the old-fashioned way."

It's the reason I've put maybe a handful of hours into it since Spider-man released.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
No surprise there. That console is probably the largest major console in at least 25 years if not ever. The whole curvy design is to mask how thicc it is. Cooling is definitely their priority. Also, Cerny's GDC talk about how the console maintains steady power usage at all times seems like it would also improve temperature regulation.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
The console came out a year later and cost £100/$100 more. It's not that complicated.

Cost maybe one factor but the year makes no difference as both can go up to 170w under full load of a demanding game section. XBX has better perf per watt as they wisely waited for AMD's better GPU we all knew in the PC space was coming, it's not using less power and probably uses a bit more in general as other tests seem to point to. PS4 Pro is taking off at 137W with a less demanding game while XBX is very quiet at 172w under most demanding game.

Last edited:

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
The promise is...

we are going from here

to this
Unbenannt.jpg

... that is to be expected.