• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
When Gladiator was released in early May 2000, there wasn't much of an inkling that it would go on to win the Oscar for best picture, for the obvious reason that it was positioned as the first of the summer blockbusters, promoted less for its historical gravitas than its bloody combat in a digitally enhanced Colosseum. In retrospect, it shouldn't have been a surprise that two and a half hours of speeches, montages and decadent pageantry would fit into a broadcast that's an hour longer and slightly less violent. But the best picture designation has been an odd stain on Gladiator's reputation over the years: a film that might have been remembered as a satisfying revenge spectacle instead looks like a second-rate prestige picture.

www.theguardian.com

Did Gladiator really deserve the best picture Oscar?

Ridley Scott’s summer spectacle, which turns 20 this month, was lifted into prestige with a surprise Oscar haul, something that’s tainted its legacy

Do you agree, Era?

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I probably wouldn't give it Best Picture but there are much, much worse Best Picture winners out there than Gladiator so I don't have too much of a problem with it.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
The Oscars are a Hollywood celebration so it's fine. To be fair it wasn't the greatest bunch of nominees that year.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Although not Oscars, I'll always remember drunk Liz Taylor announcing it winning at the golden globes lol.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Well, looking at competition - yes.

The other nominees were: Chocolat, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Erin Brockovich and Traffic. They are all fine movies and none is far better than others. But Gladiator is the most "epic" so I guess jury liked that.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
I really liked that movie. Fantastic soundtrack as well. Does it deserve an Oscar? I think you could argue for it. There is definitely more debatable winners than this.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Parasite may have been the first non-English Best Pic winner in 2020 but it really should have happened 20 years earlier with either Yi Yi or In The Mood For Love.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
in 2000 everybody was sort of shocked by how good it actually was. the element of surprise removed two decades does make the movie "overrated" if you have to nitpick

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Traffic got robbed

6vYeRRn.png

best screenplay, editing, director and actor but not picture. alright then.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Traffic and Crouching Tiger were pretty great but i cant begrudge gladiator the win. Its arguably a top 5 or 10 most entertaining best picture winner

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Parasite may have been the first non-English Best Pic winner in 2020 but it really should have happened 20 years earlier with either Yi Yi or In The Mood For Love.

Those weren't even nominated for foreign language category though, neither did Infernal Affairs and its remake won the main prize.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon could have done it, it had the momentum and wouldn't get any complaints from me. Neither does Gladiator, both were entertaining movies. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon did break a lot of grounds for an Asian language movie anyways.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to rewatch it this weekend so I'll get back to you buts it's in my top 15 best picture winners.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Iconic soundtrack, great gifs, really what's not to like?

Certainly wasn't an defining Oscar year, but a very entertaining film.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
While it would've been nice and neat for Traffic to win, I enjoyed Gladiator a great deal.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't a great year. It's not a massive "Shakespeare In Love" headscratcher in any case.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018

heh? Also Bardem's performance > Crowe's
Looking at the year in film of 2000 I wonder which have endured most twenty years on. Snubbed films like Memento, In the Mood for Love, Dancer in the Dark, Unbreakable...

As far as the BP nominees , say you asked people on the street to recall them, I wonder which of those films people would most remember

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
The oscars have made a fair few bad choices, but this wasn't one of them

Oct 27, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
Crouching Tiger really should've won that year in retrospect, I think at some point it was the favourite but then a lot of the old conservative hollywood guys had a bit of a 'well why don't we reward our epic historical drama instead of their one?' backlash towards it.

Which ignores that Crouching Tiger was mostly an American funded studio film that happened to be in Mandarin, but still.

Traffic would also have made a good winner even if that hasn't held up amazingly, it seemed a bit cruel for Soderbergh to lose Picture twice in one year but at least they gave him Director.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Looking at the year in film of 2000 I wonder which have endured most twenty years on. Snubbed films like Memento, In the Mood for Love, Dancer in the Dark, Unbreakable...

As far as the BP nominees , say you asked people on the street to recall them, I wonder which of those films people would most remember

It means "quoted for truth" - as in, Yes! This is so true!

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
That a Roman general possessed the swordsmanship and close combat skills to slay seasoned warriors one-on-one strained credulity but it was entertaining.

Oct 27, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland

Memento and In the Mood for Love came out in '01 in the US so were eligible the next year. I think the 2000 BP lineup has generally held up OK, although in retrospect obviously stuff like Almost Famous, Dancer in the Dark, etc. should've been there.

lemonhat

Dec 6, 2018
Gladiator's Best Picture win is probably one of the least egregious of the past 20 years. I'd have loved Crouching Tiger to win, but Gladiator was an highly accomplished rousing historical epic that you don't get much of (it was the first really successful historical epic of it's kind in a long while when it was made if I remember correctly) so I don't really begrudge its victory. And it was definitely iconic. It also hasn't been completely forgotten like so many other Best Picture winners.

Now the less said about the likes of Crash, Argo and The King's Speech the better...

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Framing this anniversary from such revisionist (and negative) perspective seems another good reflection on journalism' state nowadays. With that said, Gladiator was a serious contender throughout the whole season, in a three-way race between Traffic, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and this. I think Soderbergh's dual effort with Brockovich and Traffic might have split votes in favor of Gladiator, though he did win Best Director and both movies went to get five statuettes, as many as Gladiator itself. Tiger and Dragon was on its own a very strong contender (back then a bigger phenomenon than the likes of Parasite, though the film was also more international in terms of production); it probably wasn't a dominant pick among voters for Best Picture, but I assume it was still voted more than the average third or fourth choice. Unfortunately, we'll never know.

My guess is Gladiator won because it was the happy combination of a well-liked, popular "historical" film, led by a director/actor who were long overdue by the Academy (Scott still is) and the open race gave it the extra push to prevail before a very dark film (Traffic) and the international flick (Tiger and Dragon).

Gladiator is not an outstanding movie, in my opinion, but it's certainly enjoyable and inaugurates what's to me the best period in Scott's filmography since the late 70s and early 80s: Black Hawk Down, Kingdom of Heaven (extended cut) and American Gangster next to this and a few other films that are more discreet, but still worth a watch.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
It means "quoted for truth" - as in, Yes! This is so true!

hahhahahahahaha omg, I'm not even kidding every time I see "qft" it's used as " quit fkn talking"
Memento and In the Mood for Love came out in '01 in the US so were eligible the next year. I think the 2000 BP lineup has generally held up OK, although in retrospect obviously stuff like Almost Famous, Dancer in the Dark, etc. should've been there.

Ah Gotcha. Almost Famous was my favorite that year

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Compared to the other movies that were nominated? I understand why it won. I would have picked Traffic maybe. But like others said there have been much worse winners.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is Gladiator the worst movie to win Best Picture? No. But was it better than the movies it beat? No, I don't think so. I would have given it to Crouching Tiger first and foremost, then to Traffic next...then maybe Gladiator after that (still haven't seen Erin Brokovich or Chocolat). But I would have also nominated Requiem for a Dream and given it to that before Traffic, so...(and don't get me started on Ellen Burstyn not winning Best Actress...that monologue with her and Jared Leto is devastating and one of the best acting performances I've seen.)

Gladiator beating Crouching Tiger was the first time in my young life (I was 17 at the time) that I was able to really be upset about one movie beating the other, because I had finally see at least three of the other Best Picture nominees and had an opinion of my own going into the awards. Up until then, it was mostly, "Well, it won Best Picture, it's gotta be a good movie!"

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
GladiatorDouglas Wick, David Franzoni, and Branko Lustig, producers
Those are the nominiees. Out of those, yes it did deserve the win.

Russel Crowe winning "best actor" is the true crime here.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
crouching tiger was clearly the best of those noms. Unfortunately the foreign language thing happened.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I disagree with this article.

It completely deserved it's best picture award. An absolute classic and my only complaint about the film is the lack of historical accuracy.

Oct 27, 2017
Gladiator's Best Picture win is probably one of the least egregious of the past 20 years. I'd have loved Crouching Tiger to win, but Gladiator was an highly accomplished rousing historical epic that you don't get much of (it was the first really successful historical epic of it's kind in a long while when it was made if I remember correctly) so I don't really begrudge its victory. And it was definitely iconic. It also hasn't been completely forgotten like so many other Best Picture winners.

Now the less said about the likes of Crash, Argo and The King's Speech the better...

Did Braveheart win an Oscar? I think that was the beginning of the resurgence of historical epics, and that was 1995 I think?

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how Kingdom of heaven would have done if it hadnt been murdered in the editing room.

The directors cut is a masterpiece

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia
I watched Gladiator again recently and it held up brilliantly. People forget that its special effects, camerawork and the CGI of Rome were a revelation back at that time.

As for the films it was up against, they were all excellent but I think only Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon would mount a persuasive argument at being the better film.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Traffic is maybe the more forward-looking film but Gladiator is still excellent by BP standards - especially for that decade. I understand why it won though, it has an appeal that nothing else nominated could even touch.