• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Definitely the best realized modern city in any open world game to date, by a wide margin.

I really hope it does come out (VI), because V is still going strong... and is getting a PS5/XSX port.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Most overlooked and underrated GTA game. (Also secretly the best GTA game) I got so damn immersed in the world of that game, hell, I would watch TV in my apartment in the game. V was super shallow comparatively and I never think back of it fondly, like I do with IV.

GTAIV underrated? The citizen Kane of gaming?

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
It will be sensational. Will be THE most detailed and believable open world game ever conceived. I am literally expecting the greatest thing since sliced bread. R* NEVER let me down. GTAV next gen I'm also expecting quite a jump on the visual side.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It still blows my mind that they even modelled the ocean floor and everything underwater. So much work spent on something I'd bet 99% of players will never see unless they go for the submarine achievement.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Rockstar definitely made some advancements in the narrative quality in RDR2...but they need to improve their mission design. RDR2 was terribly restrictive in this aspect. GTA V just doesn't have that great core combat mechanics...

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I actually think it continues to be one of maybe the most impressive open world there is but I think there wont be a sp campain like it used to be like at all.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
They're the absolute king of open world games. I thought Cyberpunk might set a new standard, but that just turned out to be a really pretty Saints Row with dildos and sex adverts.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
There's a solid case for Red Dead 2 in regards to open-world design, but surely not with GTA V.

It featured a step down in number of interiors compared to IV, with some of those originally planned eventually siphoned off to GTA Online content. The Euphoria physics were neutered for body movement and vehicles as well.

The NPCs aren't really there either, both Saint Row 2's diverse NPC activities and Watch Dogs 2's NPC interactivity have it easily beat.

I've never played GTA IV, but it's funny to watch this and then remember all the people shit-talking GTA IV like it was a bad game. It's crazy how they modeled and animated all those details, but I assume that they felt it was just wasted resources and didn't affect the sales or enjoyment of the world for most people. It's a shame because that kind of granular detail is nice, and what's even more impressive is that it was earlier PS3 gen.

Anyway, I don't really have much to say otherwise, since GTA games are simply not my thing. It's undoubted that Rockstar are some of the best at making open world games in terms of sandbox design and scope, but I can literally enjoy most other games more than a GTA game for all the other reasons.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
I expect yet another immensely satisfying entry that is overall wonderful and yet deeply, deeply flawed. So... I expect a Rockstar game.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I'm kind of worried it's going to be some weird episodic online game and a bit of a letdown/not what I want at all.

they just stated a few days ago the SP component in VI will be as important as ever.
I don't remember where I read it, but it was from Rockstar themselves.

I expect Rockstar to push boundaries and to deliver by far the most impressive open world yet like they've been doing with V and RDR2 in particular.

I expect to find simply walking around the world worth the price of admission. In fact just being a virtual tourist is usually my favourite part of Rockstar games.

I'm also curious about next gen GTAV though, I think R* is putting some decent effort into it and won't be releasing a simple resolution or framerate upgrade.

Jurassic579

Oct 27, 2017
I think for GTA VI to take a leap forward it Leeds to be developed only for PS5 and XSX. Criss gen will golf it back. RDR2 must have already been pushing the limits of a PS4.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I loved GTA V but c'mon.

The world is pretty to look at but it's so static and dead feeling. After playing Watch Dogs 2 in 2016 i couldn't go back to GTA V. It's not as good looking but the world feels alive and you can manipulate it. NPCs feel like they have their own life when you read their profiler or spy on them in their house. Creepy I know but it is a game about hacking and it really works. The map is more fun to play in because you can do stuff like cause blackouts, hack cars, raise bollards, change traffic lights, shut/open gates, explode steam vents, turn off city lights, go inside buildings, order gangs/police to attack enemies, shut down security systems....

And that's just a game from 4 years ago. I know it gets a lot of hate but Night City in Cyberpunk is miles ahead of Los Santos. There are some things it can improve upon but Rockstar could do with taking some notes. The size of that city is crazy and there is so much to do in it.

I'm kind of worried it's going to be some weird episodic online game and a bit of a letdown/not what I want at all.
I think GTA 6 will only act as a new base for GTA Online to build upon.

By that I mean it will of course have a completely new map, it will have all latest graphics/performance enhancements from RAGE, and the story will likely be much shorter. GTA V is ~30 hours if you just focus on the main story. I could imagine probably a 15-25 hour main story. for GTA V the main story was their focus and GTA Online was just an experiment. For VI it'll be the other way about...basic story and focus on GTA Online.

Once they do that then it'll be back to working on GTA Online for the next 7 years.

Last edited:

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
I said in another post many moons ago that I think GTA 6 will have multiple cities/regions with multiple protagonists, each one starting out in their "home" city/region, before the story brings the characters together.

I expect one of the playable characters to be a woman, and it wouldn't surprise me still if Los Santos and Blaine County from GTA 5 was brought back, along with, say, Liberty City, Vice City, and maybe... Carcer City to represent the American rustbelt?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting it to not exist. Plenty of money to milk from GTA 5 online microtransactions and copies getting sold again on new consoles.

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
the way i see it, GTA implements a true sandbox experience is yet to be matched by *any* game.

Wait what? Their games are scripted to high hell, with fail states everywhere. The only true systemic stuff are the cops and pedestrian reactions. Nothing is permanent in their worlds apart from maybe significant story beats?

Even their 'random event' aren't random at all, just triggers that spawn scripted little scenarios, they even repeat if you pass by and come back later:

But if you mean simulation fidelity wise (everything that happened directly around the player) sure. Don't get me wrong, I love their RAGE engine and physics implementation, but it's definitely not a 'true sandbox'. My wish is that they make the jump to a new persistent sandbox formula on PS5/XSX. Immersive Sim style with their tech and fidelity? Let's goooo!

But for now they're just highly polished action-adventure with some small but ultimately meaningless systemic interaction in between mission.

Last edited:

Real

Oct 28, 2017
tenor.gif

Most definitely is lol

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Even more crunch and trying to pander to capital G Gamers.
Probably a reset for GTA online with even more MTX too.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
All this weird fear mongering thinking they're gonna only focus on GTA Online when RDR2 doubled down on narrative and massively upped their game in that department

I don't expect them to change the way characters control, gunplay or mission linearity but everything else will be first class

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
GTA has always been an inherently satiric game franchise. It's in it's DNA. V upped the game and captured the zeitgesit of 2013 perfectly.
These days though.... satire is as good as dead. I don't envy Rockstar, having to navigate this minefield.

This makes me hope/speculate that they'll go back to the past, unchaining them from contemporary satire and the risks it brings. The ultimate setting? Vice City again! They've done Liberty City and Los Santos again... The only place left is Vice City.

Benzies and the Housers leaving the company also has me slightly worried.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All this weird fear mongering thinking they're gonna only focus on GTA Online when RDR2 doubled down on narrative and massively upped their game in that department

I don't expect them to change the way characters control, gunplay or mission linearity but everything else will be first class

It has to be single player focused at the core of the game world to work for online anyway I imagine. It's whether they have tilted the content to online more than before and integrated it seamlessly into the game. While it does sell like nothing else, the online numbers are hard to resist, can they do both at such grand fidelity and release anytime soon, will be interesting to see what they do, full campaign, light online content for a long tail or weak campaign and heavy on online from the start.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They might have not even started development on 6 and it's not super unrealistic for huge games to take seven years of development.

I think it's unlikely that they haven't started at all, and even in that unlikely scenario it would probably be a cross gen title. GTA skipping two whole generations would be insane. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw it in 2022-2023.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually expecting a similar setup to V with 3 playable characters - one of which is a female POC. I always assumed the setting would be a more modern vice city with the surrounding swampy countryside fully explorable.

Oct 31, 2017
Hmmm... what were the open world games of 2020?

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla
Cyberpunk 2077
Ghost of Tsushima
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Watch Dogs: Legions
Yakuza 7: Like A Dragon

I'm sure/know there are more, but I don't feel as if open world was as prevalent this year? Some of the big games -- The Last of Us Part II, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Persona 5 Royal, Dreams, Ori, Demon's Souls, Sackboy, Astro, Wasteland, Godfall, Predator, Iron Man, Star Wars Squadrons -- weren't open world at all.

Haven't played Cyberpunk, but if we're talking just about the scope and tech, GTAV's world is impressive in plenty of ways but it was not my favorite open world unless I was in the city. I get what they did with the top 2/3s of the map, but I think that should have been scaled down and/or made denser if anything; it's not like RDR2 where there's plenty to stumble upon and discover and plenty of NPCs who know other NPCs (forgivable since this is old tech we're talking about for GTAV).

It's why I like Ghost of Tsushima because I love encountering the wildlife. I have fond memories on stumbling upon fox nests or heading toward smoke in the distance, which was better than just rural areas with nothing to do imo.

If GTA VI had a denser world that had more city stuff, with rural areas that have more to do, I think it'd be mind-blowing. But there weren't enough buildings to really explore or things to do in the sticks that would qualify it as the best.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
I expect it to be the same overrated (imo), bad controlling, poor shooting game as GTA5!

I hope I'm wrong but RDR2 didn't instill me with any confidence.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Do you guys think that after the CP77 debacle, Rockstar got some pointers on what NOT to do on a game of this magnitude? Don't talk anything about it until the game is 2 years out for sure.

Rockstar had been making these technically ambitious games and sticking the landing since say San Andreas and GTA4 (look at their contemporaries back then).

CDPR dropping the ball and embarrassing themselves in the process will barely register to them.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Same old shit. An empty ass open world, where the onyl thing you can do is drive over pedestrains and shoot and linear missions that fail you the second you try to have any agency over what is going on.

well that and terrible attempts at satire. also it will sell a billion copies.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
I expect it to run like garbage at launch, and we'll probably have to wait until the consoles get an upgrade for a stable frame rate

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I expect GTA VI to be quite smaller in scale when it comes to its single player portion and instead be more focused on an "ever growing" online experience.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I think San Andreas was the last GTA that I actually beat. IV and V failed to keep me engaged all the way through and I always drop off. I have a very superficial interest in the series at this point.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I didn't liked the game so I can't agree. I preferred to play with IV which allows you to play taxi / police missions.

GTA VI will be smaller in scope and be maybe like GTA online is made. Jason Schreir spoke about that after the crunch of RDR 2 and the demise of Houser.

So it will be a game as a service.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
GTA V has a great open world simulation and decent heists but thats it. The shooting is trash and the story is just assholes yelling at each other while you drive 80% of the mission and badly shoot at NPC's the rest.

I hope the next one can dial down on the trash people, finally bring some good shooting/melee mechanics and more variety to the missions.

They need to do a better job with their characters but the characters will always be assholes. It just comes with the territory.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Do you guys think that after the CP77 debacle, Rockstar got some pointers on what NOT to do on a game of this magnitude? Don't talk anything about it until the game is 2 years out for sure.
yes, I'm sure rockstar doesn't know how to handle huge AAA open world games, it's new territory for them

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
rockstar doesn't know how to make a sandbox game anymore which is why the gta games were interesting in the first place

i have little expectations for VI

bunikerrim

Oct 3, 2019
I expect GTA VI to be a fully singleplayer game, with GTA Online moving to a F2P stand-alone that integrates the new map in addition to Los Santos