• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
GTA Online standalone will be released on Xbox Series X and PS5 in the second half of 2021, free for the first three months for PS5 owners

Rockstar's parent company, Take Two, has stated that new content will be coming to GTA Online that is exclusive to next-generation consoles and PC.

During the latest financial earnings call, Take Two said that "additional content exclusive to the new consoles and PC" is planned for Grand Theft Auto Online. This new content will arrive in 2021, but Take Two offered no more details on what form the content will take.

www.ign.com

GTA Online's Next-Gen Version Will Have Exclusive Content - IGN

New, exclusive content is coming for the PS5, Xbox Series X, and PC versions of GTA 5.

Surprised at Rockstar stopping PS4 and One support this fast and focusing on the next-gen consoles

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Drive-by posting
it will be useless multiplayer stuff.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So like when it came to ps4 and xbone they'll add new things then eventually drop updates for this old gen within the year.

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
That makes sense, wasn't it only a year or so after the current-gen releases that content stopped being delivered to X360/PS3?

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
sL35SWj.jpg

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
On PS5, you will have 3 months to claim the standalone GTA Online and you can keep it forever
To play it after the 3 free months, a PS+ sub is required

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'm impressed with how relevant the game is in 2020 (and 2021 for that matter), but it's a PS3 / 360 game. I'm ready to move on to another GTA game instead of hearing about boring GTA Online updates.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll take a free GTA Online with new content and without those atrocious loading times.

Thanks Rockstar and Sony.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Interesting. The real question for me is ... will they expand the map? I've played enough GTAO to have seen every square inch of that island and it with all the MC clubs, CEO buildings, arcades, bunkers and facilites they've added it honestly feels like they're running out space.

it will be useless multiplayer stuff.

The game is called Grand Theft Auto Online. So, yeah, it's all multiplayer content. The entire game is multiplayer content.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm impressed with how relevant the game is in 2020 (and 2021 for that matter), but it's a PS3 / 360 game. I'm ready to move on to another GTA game instead of hearing about boring GTA Online updates.
It was barely a 360/PS4 game, it was bursting apart at the seems. Hell, the PS4 can barely contain some aspects of it, multiplayer load times were terrible last time I tried.

As insane as it sounds, it's a good fit for the PS5!

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
Standalone only in the second half of 2021? They're probably overhauling the online mode code to take advantage of these new consoles, the existing one still has a lot of underlying last gen code, hence the sluggishness.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
It was barely a 360/PS4 game, it was bursting apart at the seems. Hell, the PS4 can barely contain some aspects of it, multiplayer load times were terrible last time I tried.

As insane as it sounds, it's a good fit for the PS5!
That's fair. I've played it on PC as well so I'm aware of how and what that game can handle ... it's just something that's been around for like 8 years now, and I'm kinda ready for a new game in that franchise. A new GTA missed this entire generation.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Have we ever had a game transition across three console generations like this? Minecraft, I guess? FFXIV, too, I guess when the PS5 one comes out.

It's just crazy to me.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's fair. I've played it on PC as well so I'm aware of how and what that game can handle ... it's just something that's been around for like 8 years now, and I'm kinda ready for a new game in that franchise. A new GTA missed this entire generation.
I think RDR2 was that new game from Rockstar. Two great games in 7 years. I actually prefer this "release->long support" cycle, certainly to something like the call of duty annual cycle.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Probably won't be anything special, but I still play GTA:O with friends rarely

Do hope they work on the loading times though

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Have they said whether or not they'll open up character transfers again? I did all my GTAO gaming this gen on a PS4 (2,100+ hrs) but am planning to go back to Xbox next gen. I'm definitely not going to start my GTAO career over.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
What does "free for the first 3 months mean."?

Free to play for 3 months and then the monthly charges kick in or am I reading too much into it and it's just free for 3 months to whomever owns a PS5 and happens to download it?

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Free to play for 3 months and then the monthly charges kick in or am I reading too much into it and it's just free for 3 months to whomever owns a PS5 and happens to download it?
If you claim it in the first 3 months on PS5, it's yours to keep.

OP
OP

Raigor

May 14, 2020

GTA Online standalone is "most likely" going to be a paid release.

If you are on PS5, you can redeem the game for free for the first three month, after that you will "most likely" have to pay for it.

If it's not like this, i don't know then.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
I tried this on PS4 to see what all the fuss was about, but holy shit the load times between missions were so frequent and long. If the next gen versions solve that I might give it another try. It drove me crazy.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unsurprising considering they moved on from 360/PS3 as well. Late 2021 sounds about right if they're going to do another content update or two on thr current platforms.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Great. Any excuse to jump back in is fine by me. With a group of mates, GTAO is still an awesome time.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
I think RDR2 was that new game from Rockstar. Two great games in 7 years. I actually prefer this "release->long support" cycle, certainly to something like the call of duty annual cycle.
I absolutely found no joy in RDR2, sadly. I gave that game like 4 or 5 chances to grab my attention and it didn't hit for me at all. As far as a GTA itch goes, it certainly didn't scratch it. I really, really wish that I liked RDR2 because it's talked about like it's a masterpiece, but I just can't do it.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
Hopefully the "expanded and enhanced"mentioned can also be dedicated servers for next-gen. It is fucking laughable how much money Rockstar takes in with both the GTA and Red Dead series and the Online is still Peer to Peer.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At some point this game will stop charting on the NPD list, right?

Right????