• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
With digital it's probably ahead of Sport and with that and the higher prices in mind it should result in more money for Sony.

We'll know for sure when the digital figures are in.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Sony are willing to die on the £70 game hill. I'm expecting all their game sales to be down this generation.

Its almost twice the price as Sport was at launch, and at that price the chance of an impulse buy goes out of the window. Not to mention the cost of living increases.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Pricing aside Sony schedule s so stupid. In span of what 3 weeks they released sifu, horizon, witch queen and gt 7. And u have ER. I bought 3 of those but most of my friends 1 or 2. They ll get others down the line probably.

Like why? Fiscal year results?

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Im trying to figure out where ppl are seeing the sales are bad. More than likely hfw and gt7 are trending ahead than their previous releases. For an example, hfw with digital included was down only 7% with 3 days compared to hzd's 5 days. Same thing with gt7 with no digital data atm and 3 days tracking vs 5 days with sport. Not to mention it's hard to buy ps5s.

Oct 25, 2017
Pricing aside Sony schedule s so stupid. In span of what 3 weeks they released sifu, horizon, witch queen and gt 7. And u have ER. I bought 3 of those but most of my friends 1 or 2. They ll get others down the line probably.

Like why? Fiscal year results?

You release games when they are ready. What reason would it be to delay any of these titles just because of spacing?

And are we still tripping over boxed UK retail sales? Wait for digital. Even then it's not like this game will stop selling. It's a service game that will get content for years. People will jump in.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
We need to see digital to get the full picture. Happens every week. Didn't physical PlayStation sales for Elden Ring represent like 85% of sales or something in the UK? When digital sales were added, they only made up about 41% total. Trying to conclude anything based on a declining indicator of the total sales is just not going to be accurate.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
You release games when they are ready. What reason would it be to delay any of these titles just because of spacing?

Of course publishers don't just release games as soon as they're ready with no consideration given to release timing and spacing out of games. You seriously think Nintendo, for example, don't plan their release schedule carefully to ensure they have a steady stream of games throughout the year? You don't blow your load within a small release window, you'd never see them release a new 3D Zelda one week and then a new 3D Mario the next for example, that would be silly.

I would imagine that Sony were maybe thinking that Horizon and GT wouldn't cannibalise sales too much given they're totally different genres so it wouldn't matter if they were released a few weeks apart. But they likely didn't count on Elden Ring blowing up as much as it did because it has been a crowded few weeks where the focus maybe hasn't been on Sony's first party titles as much as they might have liked/hoped for.

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
It launched full price (£50 at the time). It just dropped fast. £20 after about a month.

Yeah the price dropped like crazy and that too very quickly. I think with the PS5 stock issues, the likes of Horizon, GT7 etc are going to stay full priced for a long time to come. People are spelling doom and gloom on Horizon, GT7 sales at the minute and I would usually be right on that bandwagon, however the number of consoles out there is going to severely limit sales at the moment and I think the legs on both games will be very good.

GT7 and Horizon are quality, for the former it seems like the first fully fledged game in that series for well over a decade. Both games are going to sell for years to come, but PS5 stock issues don't seem like they will get any better even this year. So glad I was able to pick up a PS5 late last year.

I REALLY wonder what is going to happen with the likes of Ragnarok and it's release; it almost feels as though these PS5 console stock issues are going to start having an effect on release schedules. Like, with stock issues limiting console sales do Sony even see a need to release say Ragnarok this year? I would be so fucking pissed is that happened, but with what has happened with GT7, Horizon etc sales wise it might start having Sony thinking of holding releases and accouncemnts back for when demand slows down, which does not seem like anytime this year.

And are we still tripping over boxed UK retail sales? Wait for digital. Even then it's not like this game will stop selling. It's a service game that will get content for years. People will jump in.

There's only so much money to go around, especially for when games are targeting similar audiences. GT7 and Horizon were different enough but Ragnarok starts competing with Horizon; I can see that being held up for a while.

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
Two flops from Sony in just two weeks. Yikes.
lol what? how is either game a flop?

HZD sold over 20 million copies and GT Sport over 10 million to date.
Both new games are on par (with digital sales probably above) with their predecessors in sales during the first week.
No telling where they might land but it won't be in flop territory by a mile

really hope that was sarcasm

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Ah, maybe that's what I'm misremembering. It was deep discounted especially quickly.
Very quickly. People seem to think that Sport sold at its normal $60 price. Nah, it had a permanent dropped after a month and continued to be on sale after the drop to. Sport's launch was awful but it bounced back. I didn't get into it again after they fumbled it.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Im trying to figure out where ppl are seeing the sales are bad.
This happens with almost every new release, especially Sony games. Just do like a lot of us and let them eat their words later. There is a reason stuff like "niche-man" became meme worthy. Like a lot of the takes in here, some are so bad you have to just point and laugh and not engage them directly.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
This happens with almost every new release, especially Sony games. Just do like a lot of us and let them eat their words later. There is a reason stuff like "niche-man" became meme worthy. Like a lot of the takes in here, some are so bad you have to just point and laugh and not engage them directly.
Not just Sony games, MSFT games catch a lot hell.
I guess they shouldn't have made it just a GT Sport remaster huh……

But yeah with digital sales and the way we see UK box sales tracking I don't see how this can be seen as bad.
I don't think it's bad at all because Sony games have long legs.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017

Oh 100%. Factor in digital sales, than On top as we have seen already with other games, when PS5 consoles drop you see a spike in sales of games. People don't want to play these games on PS4, so they wait and buy along with their PS5s

Last edited:

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I reckon Horizon, Elden Ring, and GT7 all could've sold more on PS platforms if there had been more gap between their release date. Releasing them back to back to back isn't helping Sony in this case. When ER shifted its release date I suppose maybe it's already too late for Sony to shift one of Horizon / GT7 later.

Although still, more game choices now for new console owners for sure.

Two flops from Sony in just two weeks. Yikes.
I see we've fallen into system wars territory.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018

I didn't say "just Sony games", I said especially Sony games. And that is true, in my experience, particularly anything sales related. They receive the random "x" game flopped" style posts, even when this is a fraction of data.....in one territory. Because Sony tends to report numbers on their games, it makes one wonder why people keep doing this to themselves. PlayStation games rarely underperform and two huge franchises like GT and Horizon are even less likely to.

Last edited:

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Why does this happen in every UK sales thread? People go nuts over them when it shows the data is extremely incomplete and nothing can really be judged from it. Also Gran Turismo and Horizon will sell for a long time; much like Miles Morales, they will be the type of games people pick up when they purchase a ps5.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
lol what? how is either game a flop?

HZD sold over 20 million copies and GT Sport over 10 million to date.
Both new games are on par (with digital sales probably above) with their predecessors in sales during the first week.
No telling where they might land but it won't be in flop territory by a mile

really hope that was sarcasm
Forbidden West is the super hyped sequel to one of the most successful new IP from last gen. It doesn't even beat the first game in the first week. How is that not a flop?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Forbidden West is the super hyped sequel to one of the most successful new IP from last gen. It doesn't even beat the first game in the first week. How is that not a flop?
So.....you were actually serious...?

Wow.

Thanks for clarifying some things for me at least...makes things easier for me.

You are literally just dismissing everything else presented and only focusing on one thing.

LTG

Nov 4, 2017
Without seeing the PS4/PS5 split it's impossible to tell how good these results are.
If the split is similar to Horizon Forbidden West then it's an indication buyers are holding off until they purchase a PS5.
If that's the case, I expect it to be an evergreen title that will have sales spikes when PS5 stock arrives.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
Without seeing the PS4/PS5 split it's impossible to tell how good these results are.
If the split is similar to Horizon Forbidden West then it's an indication buyers are holding off until they purchase a PS5.
If that's the case, I expect it to be an evergreen title that will have sales spikes when PS5 stock arrives.
it's higher, 76%.
www.gamesindustry.biz

Gran Turismo 7 overtakes Elden Ring to take pole position | UK Boxed Charts

Gran Turismo 7 is the fourth new UK boxed No.1 in four weeks, GfK has revealed.The PS5 (and PS4) racing game sold 28% f…
Horizon was lower likely because there is a free upgrade for the less costly PS4 version, we can assume a 10% were interested in it

It's very likely that most of the PS4 user base is not active, judging by the numbers in the last year

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Like some have said:

www.gamesindustry.biz

Gran Turismo 7 overtakes Elden Ring to take pole position | UK Boxed Charts

Gran Turismo 7 is the fourth new UK boxed No.1 in four weeks, GfK has revealed.The PS5 (and PS4) racing game sold 28% f…

Exactly.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Digital will be a big element of this considering the game is basically online only.

Still I wonder if Sony will relent at some point on the £70 pricing, pretty sure they're the only publisher hitting that price point?

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Gran Turismo 7 will surely do well digitally, it's not a game I'd want to buy physically. No doubt Sony's bonkers £70 prices will be having an impact on sales overall, though.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy to me that this is a franchise that used to sell 10m+ with every iteration, back when very, very few games hit those figures. GT was truly unparalleled at sim racing for so long, it was basically synonymous with the very concept in gaming.

Also Square-Enix just seems to want all of their non-FF/DQ games to die. They should not have released Triangle Strategy right next to ER. I really think they should've just added some FF-thematic touches to it and just called it Final Fantasy Tactics 2.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As always, boxed chart is meaningless

Lystron

Banned
Feb 22, 2022
It's crazy to me that this is a franchise that used to sell 10m+ with every iteration, back when very, very few games hit those figures. GT was truly unparalleled at sim racing for so long, it was basically synonymous with the very concept in gaming.

For me personally? It was the constant and consistent stream of Forza M/H games that did it for me.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So what I've learned from this thread is that both it and horizon have almost certainly done better than their previous entries if you actually align their datea on sale (previous entries sold on a Wednesday as opposed to the sequels sold on a Friday)

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
lol at some people trying to find their console wars narrative, have a little love for yourself people

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
As others have said this is probably up over Sport.

And you should always keep in mind the millions who will wait until they have a PS5 to buy these games over the PS4 version.

That's my case. I'm extremely hyped for GT7 but I want to experience it on the PS5 and I don't have one yet.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
As far as console sims go, it's still unparalleled I'd say and this one should sell like GT normally does. So, par-for-course.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
There are so many big games came in last 30 days so we shouldn't look at the numbers day by day. People just dont have money, time or most importantly a PS5 for this months releases. (Dying light 2, Sifu, Horizon, Elden Ring, GT7)