• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy they have begun outsourcing, they have a car team and track team. I also hope the legacy tracks appear in GT7.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Agree with all the other GT fans on here, expecting PD to deliver a game promptly is foolish. I'd be shocked if we GT7 before year 3 of PS5. Let's hope we are all wrong, and moreover that PD figures out something more ambitious than the GT League stuff in GTS.

edit: more than a massive car roster my
pipe dream is that PD updates and brings in every track they have ever made into GT7.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
GT6 (2013) to GTSport (2017) was 4 years. It'll already be 3 years since GTSport released when PS5 launches this year. Doesn't really fit in line with the dev cycle patterns if they take another 3 years after PS5 launch to release GT7 for a cumulative 6 year dev time.

The only time they took forever was on GT5 on PS3 because of the difficulties of the Cell architecture, and that was 6 years from GT4 and GT5, but within that 6 years they also released Tourist Trophy, GT5:Prologue, and GT PSP.

Anyway, I just want 24h dynamic time-of-day back.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why? GT6 was only 3 years.

GT6 was a rehash of GT5 and came out on the same hardware.

We however don't know how long they have been working on a next gen game.
We know they showcased Raytracing in 2018 at a Siggraph event I think. We know PS5 has HW RT.
We know the cars they make for Sport are easily transferable to PS5 as the X86 architecture is already confirmed for next gen, as is AMD Navi GPU. It will be the easiest transition ever for them. On top of that, some speculate that some racing events are even handled in a procedurally generated way so more of the team works on a sequel.
If we go by what's happened in the past... you're right. But.. I'm hoping things are a bit different going foward.

We have been hoping things will be different many times now. Even though I'm prepared for disappointment I still hold on to hope.

This.
There's zero chance of GT7 being a launch title. Best case scenario is we get a PS5 upgrade for GTSport at launch.

This is the only realistic way we get GT on PS5 in the first year. A sort of GT7 Prologue. I played the shit out of GT5 Prologue so if be down for that while we wait for the full experience. Not at full price though.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GT6 was a rehash of GT5 and came out on the same hardware.

We have been hoping things will be different many times now. Even though I'm prepared for disappointment I still hold on to hope.

This is the only realistic way we get GT on PS5 in the first year. A sort of GT7 Prologue. I played the shit out of GT5 Prologue so if be down for that while we wait for the full experience. Not at full price though.
I thought Sport would release ASAP after talk of "creating" an "os" for future GT's when GT6/GT5 took so long though lol
At the end of the day... GT2000 (GT3) wasn't ready for PS2 launch.. GT5 took years longer than we expected and the biggest disappointment was GT6 was a PS3 title.. and never got an HD re-release like The Last Of Us received on PS4... and I figured they would do that rather than keep us waiting as long as they did for GT Sport...
So... *sigh* let's just hope.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'd normally agree that we are years off a PS5 GT, but if they want to continue the Esports events, I'd be very surprised if Sony are using PS4 games for the events in 2021. From a brand point of view it doesn't really make sense. They'd want to be showing off PS5, and what better than a new GT game.

My assumption is that GT Sport transitions to PS5.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I used to be one of those people that thought a full-on Gran Turismo on PlayStation 5 would not be there day one or year one but the team have shown how they can iterate and update for there to be something there day one.

It's quite possible, in a more service orientated kind of way.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
GT6 released in 2013, after the PS4 had released.

If we use GT6 as an example then we'll probably see GT7 come out in December on the PS4, two months after the PS5 has released.
Just saying they've only been 3-4 years. GT5 was an anomaly because they had so many other games between GT4 such as Tourist Trophy, GT PSP, and GT HD which was their original plan for GT5 until they decided to rebuild everything(and include HD models) .

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Just saying they've only been 3-4 years. GT5 was an anomaly because they had so many other games between GT4 such as Tourist Trophy, GT PSP, and GT HD which was their original plan for GT5 until they decided to rebuild everything(and include HD models) .

Apologies, I thought you meant it came out 3 years ago for some reason!

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
And people thought they were going to enhance GT Sport for PS5 and sell it as a Deluxe version? GT Sport will remain as PS4's Gran Turismo while the next GT will be a flagship game for PS5. I'm sure they'll get it out ASAP.

GT Sport's support has been fantastic so I have no problem with it winding down. Fact is GT is better off arriving early in the PS5's life, something the series hasn't done since the PS2 gen

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
GT7 should release in 2021. 4 years development should be enough for it. They added a lot of content for GT Sport that should be easily transferable to GT7. All the cars in sport should be in GT7. They mentioned before that all car updates are future proof, and a quick search on Google shows they have a total of 303 cars and over 82 track configurations. All that should be transferable quickly to PS5. Resulting in a strong amount of content for GT7 with more added to it.

I expect the next GT to be announced along side the PS5

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Probably about to start development of the next game.

If that were true the next GT game will be out around Christmas 2023. Sure hope you're wrong!

Maybe the next Gran Turismo will launch timely enough to be relevant for the first time since the PS2 generation.

Doubtful. Hope I'm wrong though. And if I am not wrong, I'll always have my Series X with the next gen Forza games, because these series don't wait.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
I think a lot depends on the backward compatible situation between PS4 <> PS5. If they can patch GTS with a "PS5 Mode" that locks a 60 fps, bumps up some other 'sliders' and allows PSVR in every game mode, I think that they will see that as enough to buy them some time for GT7.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I think a lot depends on the backward compatible situation between PS4 <> PS5. If they can patch GTS with a "PS5 Mode" that locks a 60 fps, bumps up some other 'sliders' and allows PSVR in every game mode, I think that they will see that as enough to buy them some time for GT7.
Pretty much my thinking. Polyphony have created hi-polygon models so to drop them in for a 4k/60fps updtae shouldn't be too much of a hassle and will give them some leeway, especially if they're also using hardware raytracing to make things look that much nicer.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
We are not getting GT7 until at least three years into the PS5. I would so love to be wrong because GT is one of my favorite franchises but I have zero confidence in PD and Kaz to put together a finished game in a reasonable amount of time.

At this point I just hope it's a finished product when it releases.
That would be the longest they would've gone without releasing any game, by a mile. The longest they've ever gone is between GT6 and GTS, and understandably so considering how tangent GTS went to the basic philosophy of the GT series. The average between two games is about 2-3 years for PD.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
I expect a GTS "complete" version for early PS5. Lots of new snazzy effects while increased car quality whilst in game, the usual stuff you would expect.

That would give them 18 months and then announce GT7 to release around 24 months later. Mostly that time would be to keep building assets and get the car count up to crazy numbers again.

I think that would be a decent move and keep 7 as a live service lit sport.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All they need to do is shake up the Sport race selection and GTS is good to go for another year. Really tired of them using repeat track / car combinations. They keep adding all these tracks and cars and we are back at Tsukuba and Autopolis over and over with Miata's and GT86/BRZ. I also would love to see one of the three "daily" races be converted back to daily rotation or add a fourth race that changes daily and leave the other three weekly.

So I picked up GT Sport not that long ago to give it a shot. I'm kinda baffled by how they handle online races. I remember way back on Forza 4; cars were in different classes and you could race online based on those classes. The daily races in GT Sport seem to limit you to one car type? Likewise, the fact that they're held every 20 minutes drives me nuts. I have to race and then wait another 10 minutes to do another one? It sucks man.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
So I picked up GT Sport not that long ago to give it a shot. I'm kinda baffled by how they handle online races. I remember way back on Forza 4; cars were in different classes and you could race online based on those classes. The daily races in GT Sport seem to limit you to one car type? Likewise, the fact that they're held every 20 minutes drives me nuts. I have to race and then wait another 10 minutes to do another one? It sucks man.
The daily race (as in weekly race) selection is "random" as technically any paring of track and car is possible. Most often there is one single make race (typically A race ) where you all use the same car. The other two races tend to be class based or group races, Gr.4, Gr.3, etc. Where you are picking any car you want in that group rating.

IMO the game woefully under represents the N class cars or non racing trim production cars in the Sport races. Too often you are stuck with Gr.3 and Gr.4 races where only a few cars are worth selecting if trying to win is your goal.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Guess the team will be shifting to work on the PS5 GT. We've gotten great support over the life of this title so that's cool.