• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when Dance With Dragons was released I would read it my car waiting on my 10 ten year old son while he took karate lessons.

He turns 20 years old this year.

The fun part is how the wait for Dance of Dragons felt endless too. Feast of Crows/Dance of Dragons were two halfs of one book we had been waiting since 2000 for.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
GRRM reminds me of one of those people who claim that they're an author. But then when you ask them to show some of their writing, they are always very cagey about it....When in reality, they never wrote anything, and they just liked to call themselves an author because they felt a sense of accomplishment from bragging about it.

I know GRRM was a previously published author but his excuses sound eerily reminiscent to those kinds of people. Every year it's "I still have hundreds of more pages to write." It's a black hole of progress that sounds more like a scam every year that passes with nothing to show for it.

A Game of Thrones - August 1st, 1996
A Clash of Kings - November 16th, 1998 (2 years, 3 months)
A Storm of Swords - August 8th, 2000 (1 year, 8 months)
A Feast for Crows - October 17th, 2005 (5 years, 2 months)
A Dance with Dragons - July 12th, 2011 (5 years, 8 months)

If TWOW came out today, it will have been 9 YEARS and 6 MONTHS since the last book, nearly double the typical timeframe, and 5 times longer than the first three books. AND you're telling us there are hundreds of pages left to write? It feels like he never had a realistic plan to actually release TWOW. He was just fucking around and reveling in his newfound fame.

TBF I think GRRM was writing the first three books before the first one was released. He originally thought he could be finished in three books. the second book was meant to be the winds of winter.

So in a way you can say we've been waiting 24 years for winds.

Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
There was a time when this thread would have angered me, but honestly all I can do is laugh now. I'm beyond caring. I really enjoyed the books, but I've moved on. I figure this will come out in the next 5 years, but Spring never will so what's the point.

Mar 31, 2018
I know you guys are tired of waiting.... And that you guys are not interested anymore after the failure of Game of Thrones (which was to be expected since season 5, after not adapting FeastDance and important storylines such as Young Griff's). I totally understand why you guys feel that way, but your negavity comes across as fairly toxic at times.

I am almost certain that The Winds of Winter will be so big that it will have enough material for two books (It is doubtful that he can complete all those storylines in one volume). I estimate about 95 POV chapters as the minimum, but I wouldn't be surprised if the book ends up being almost as big as A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons combined.

And besides, there are indications that The Winds of Winter was almost completely rewritten in late 2015, after it was pretty much finished. He was dissatisfied with the end result. With the scrapping of so much material, George R. R. Martin ended up in a long-term depression.

In any case, The Winds of Winter is by no means an easy book to write. There are twenty POV characters who more or less have to come together. Moreover, GRRM is a writer who very often rewrites chapters, experiments which POV point of view is best suited to the situation, etc. The smallest change in one chapter causes the butterfly effect and results in adjustments having to be made in other chapters. So there are many variations of certain chapters, which never end up in the final book.

Anyway, he will now also have to plan for A Dream of Spring while writing The Winds of Winter. He will already have material for that book, though, because GRRM needs to have an idea of how the book will conclude and how a character gets to that end point.

It is the quality of the final product that counts for me. He takes the time to create a good final product. In the end, it will not matter how long it took him to complete the saga. His fame gained through Game of Thrones does him no favors. He is expected to get involved in (far too) many projects. He is retired, but still has a busier schedule than many his age. He cannot be expected to spend 100% of his time writing. Creative work also involves taking inspiration from other works, or just taking a moment to rest himself (it's in these moments that the best ideas come). At the very least, I grant him quality time with family, especially at his age.

If he says he will stop tomorrow and hand the work over to another quality author who understands the themes well (e.g., the human heart in conflict with itself), then I am at peace with it. He could then spend the time with his siblings' grandchildren or something. He deserves it. But knowing him, he will stick to his magnum opus until the bitter end. It's mostly side projects like Dunk & Egg (3 to 9 more books planned in that series) that have an uncertain future.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I'm back to thinking winds will come out but no way we ever get a 7th book

And no way dany makes it to Westeros by the end of winds too much shit in essos to deal with

So we will never reach act 2 proper lol

I read this and realised/remembered that holy shit Dany is still in Essos in the books and mentally screamed.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
At this point, I am more excited for the post mortem on this book than the book itself. When considering what he cut from ADWD, the preview chapters and teases he's posted on his blog over the past ten years, and now this update that he wrote hundreds of pages in 2020, the equation doesn't make sense. He should not have hundreds of pages left to write. Bantam will ultimately publish, at most, a thousand or so pages, because that is how much they can physically bind together. He should be well over a thousands pages by now. He could have written nothing for several years and still be over a thousand pages.

Oct 28, 2017
I know you guys are tired of waiting.... And that you guys are not interested anymore after the failure of Game of Thrones (which was to be expected since season 5, after not adapting FeastDance and important storylines such as Young Griff's). I totally understand why you guys feel that way, but your negavity comes across as fairly toxic at times.

I am almost certain that The Winds of Winter will be so big that it will have enough material for two books (It is doubtful that he can complete all those storylines in one volume). I estimate about 95 POV chapters as the minimum, but I wouldn't be surprised if the book ends up being almost as big as A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons combined.

And besides, there are indications that The Winds of Winter was almost completely rewritten in late 2015, after it was pretty much finished. He was dissatisfied with the end result. With the scrapping of so much material, George R. R. Martin ended up in a long-term depression.

In any case, The Winds of Winter is by no means an easy book to write. There are twenty POV characters who more or less have to come together. Moreover, GRRM is a writer who very often rewrites chapters, experiments which POV point of view is best suited to the situation, etc. The smallest change in one chapter causes the butterfly effect and results in adjustments having to be made in other chapters. So there are many variations of certain chapters, which never end up in the final book.

Anyway, he will now also have to plan for A Dream of Spring while writing The Winds of Winter. He will already have material for that book, though, because GRRM needs to have an idea of how the book will conclude and how a character gets to that end point.

It is the quality of the final product that counts for me. He takes the time to create a good final product. In the end, it will not matter how long it took him to complete the saga. His fame gained through Game of Thrones does him no favors. He is expected to get involved in (far too) many projects. He is retired, but still has a busier schedule than many his age. He cannot be expected to spend 100% of his time writing. Creative work also involves taking inspiration from other works, or just taking a moment to rest himself (it's in these moments that the best ideas come). At the very least, I grant him quality time with family, especially at his age.

If he says he will stop tomorrow and hand the work over to another quality author who understands the themes well (e.g., the human heart in conflict with itself), then I am at peace with it. He could then spend the time with his siblings' grandchildren or something. He deserves it. But knowing him, he will stick to his magnum opus until the bitter end. It's mostly side projects like Dunk & Egg (3 to 9 more books planned in that series) that have an uncertain future.

I'm disinterested by GRRM's failure.

Nov 18, 2020
At this point, I am more excited for the post mortem on this book than the book itself. When considering what he cut from ADWD, the preview chapters and teases he's posted on his blog over the past ten years, and now this update that he wrote hundreds of pages in 2020, the equation doesn't make sense. He should not have hundreds of pages left to write. Bantam will ultimately publish, at most, a thousand or so pages, because that is how much they can physically bind together. He should be well over a thousands pages by now. He could have written nothing for several years and still be over a thousand pages.

ASOIAF has five released books that are in total 1,736,054 words long. That's an average of 347,211 words per book.

GRRM announced that he completed A Dance with Dragons on April 27, 2011. It has been 3,570 days since then.

To complete an average book in ASOIAF, if George would have written just 97 net words per day, he would have completed it by now. That's it...97 finished words.

ADWD is 414,788 words long. If TWOW is the same length, it would have taken 116 words per day to write.

This post contains a total of 113 words lmao. Just to illustrate how little he needed to work on this to get it done.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

GRRM has absolutely NO ONE to blame but himself if TWOW has became an untraversable mess. He has editors, he chose to ignore them. GRRM made this bed, now he has to sleep in it. But instead, it looks like he'd rather watch football.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
GRRM has absolutely NO ONE to blame but himself if TWOW has became an untraversable mess. He has editors, he chose to ignore them. GRRM made this bed, now he has to sleep in it. But instead, it looks like he'd rather watch football.

Editors can't really help him when he decides what he's written no longer works and decides to scrap it.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Just take the scripts of season 8 and add some prose around them. lol
Faegon

Arianne martell

The others not being defeated in a trade federation control ship phantom menace way

Book accurate characterizations of tyrion dany jon and sansa completly contradictory to the show

Wizard euron

You can not reverse engineer season 5 6 7 and 8 into the books

Like taking a messed up cake and trying to turn it back into eggs and flour to try again

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
ASOIAF has five released books that are in total 1,736,054 words long. That's an average of 347,211 words per book.

GRRM announced that he completed A Dance with Dragons on April 27, 2011. It has been 3,570 days since then.

To complete an average book in ASOIAF, if George would have written just 97 net words per day, he would have completed it by now. That's it...97 finished words.

ADWD is 414,788 words long. If TWOW is the same length, it would have taken 116 words per day to write.

This post contains a total of 113 words lmao. Just to illustrate how little he needed to work on this to get it done.

Eh. It's one thing to write words, it's another to tell a story, especially with so many threads.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
Let him do his thing.

He doesn't owe you anything and can do what he wants.

I take a different approach. When you start and publish a book series, especially one that propels your success, you enter a social contract with your fan base. Every reasonable attempt should be made to finish.

George is completely free to break that implicit agreement. Likewise, his fans are free to drag him for it.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
The saddest thing about this saga is that the never ending churn of new converts swearing that this time everything will different seems to be coming to an end. There's not even many people quoting Gaiman anymore to laugh at. No one really seems to have much hope anymore.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I read that last one back in 1L or 2L year of law school. I've been in practice for 8 years now.
Who the fuck is Young Griff? At this point I can't bring myself to care.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017

I don't think that GRRM has any problem writing words - the problem he has is in writing usable words. Ever since ASOS GRRM has been spending a ton of time unwriting what he just wrote, and it's safe to assume that the time dedicated to this has only been accelerating for TWOW.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He's given me enough enjoyment to get a lifelong pass. If WoW never comes out oh well.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The biggest twist will be that once he starts writing ADOS in 2026, he will also tell us that there will need to be another book after it. He can't finish this up in only two books.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I take a different approach. When you start and publish a book series, especially one that propels your success, you enter a social contract with your fan base. Every reasonable attempt should be made to finish.

George is completely free to break that implicit agreement. Likewise, his fans are free to drag him for it.

This should be a meme. :)

Plasticine

Oct 25, 2017
Working on a book for years and years. Hundreds of pages written just last year, hundreds more to go. No end in sight. His general defeated tone. Real Grady Tripp from Wonder Boys vibes from George.

Special Puppy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 12, 2020
You could just flat-out espouse the baseless conspiratorial rhetoric that he hasn't written anything. People are openly doing that.

Not all authors work at the same pace, and certainly not at the breakneck pace of the world's Sandersons. Especially not when they aren't hungry or writing as their full time job.

You realize it took Tolkien two decades to write LOTR, right? Which, combined, is only slightly longer than ADWD alone. Moreover, he worked on the larger Middle Earth world for basically his entire life, establishing a detailed mythos not totally dissimilar to what GRRM has been doing with ASOIAF's various works.

And Tolkien died before completing his work on Middle Earth, with much of what we now know coming from his son piecing together his notes.

This theory -- really, let's call it what it is: lunacy -- that GRRM hasn't been writing is exasperating. He writes by PoV and inspiration, rather than linearly. When he changes something at one place in the story, he has to potentially do massive rewrites to bring everything into congruency. Repeat ad nauseam.

He's wildly inefficient, both in how he types (at his home, at his ancient computer) and how he writes. But he writes a shit ton. That's just a fact. I mean hell, we already have about 10 pre-released TWOW chapters (which are amazing, by the way).
IIRC, most of the sample chapters he released were cut from ADWD.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Shall we hope that he's still locked down another year? Yes.

"Wrote hundreds and hundreds of pages" has this vibe:

-1x-1.jpg
Disgusting.