• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Hundreds of pages? That's like a Saturday night for Sanderson.

Though I still think Winds is hundred of pages longer than Doors of Stone right now.
Last I heard, Rothfuss has completely ghosted the publishers. I don't know what's up with him, but at least I have the first two books.

I've read the first book and don't agree as it didn't pull me in the same way Game of Thrones did. Maybe it needs a few more books to get going.
Yes and no. I think the first is the worst so far (I'm on 9), the sequels just were much more unique whereas Eye of the World felt so cliche.

There is some really great worldbuilding like it feels like a world and you can feel the distance between places and the different cultures and the span of time etc, but what grinds my gears is his character writing can be fucking horrendous. Some characters....just ugh, they are so annoying and repetitive.

Which is a shame because his overarching storylines are quite satisfying, but there's a lot of busy work to get there in many cases. I think it would have been much better if the series only focused on Rand's perspective, as he is one of the most interesting characters.

Crispy

Oct 27, 2017
Reading this post is like being transported back in time to 2005.
lol I started the series in 1997 and read the last book when it came out in 2011.

So I'd quit now if I were you.
Maybe if you wait like a year between finishing each book lol.
This was me in 2015. Good luck.

Glad I could give you all a nostalgic trip down memory lane! Now if you'll excuse me, the next daenerys chapter is waiting :)

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
TWOW will come out because someone at some point will gain the rights to the partially written draft and finish it.

Nothing after that will ever come out.

Wooden Robot

Oct 27, 2017
He should just take the L and stop they already ruined the whole legacy of his work with how bad the show ended.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
If this ever releases it's gonna be an unedited monstrosity of a slog to get through, isn't it?

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I've read the first book and don't agree as it didn't pull me in the same way Game of Thrones did. Maybe it needs a few more books to get going.

Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series looks to be more up my alley, Way of Kings is fantastic so far. Doubt anything will ever top ASOIAF though.

I'd give it one more attempt. If not by book 2 then it's not your thing. It's a different kind of fantasy but once it gets its teeth in you, the places it goes, the arcs the characters have are just excellent. It's definitely different than game of thrones and there aren't main characters getting killed off left & right, but imo it's at it's whole, a much better series and it gets bonus points for being finished.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's safe to say that the rumor of him scrapping the (almost) entirely written The Winds of Winter in 2015 and starting over from scratch in 2018 was true. Because with the pages that were pulled from A Dance with Dragons and the "hundreds and hundreds" of pages he wrote in 2020, there shouldn't still be hundreds of pages left to write unless something catastrophic happened.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Expect nothing from GRRM and you'll never be disappointed again.

aa0.png

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Plural means he's written at least 200 pages of a 1000+ page novel. So maybe a few more yearly pandemics and we should be reading this by 2027.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
At least be honest with the people who elevated you to the top.

Last edited:

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'm back to thinking winds will come out but no way we ever get a 7th book

And no way dany makes it to Westeros by the end of winds too much shit in essos to deal with

So we will never reach act 2 proper lol

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
He could just quit at this point and still have close to $100 million. Fans might give him extra grief for it but I'm sure he's used to it. I think he should let his editor deal with the mess and just use his time for the things he enjoys. For all we know that's what he already plans on doing.

Zarshack

May 15, 2018
Australia
I feel really sorry for the people stuck waiting on this book, even if he releases TWOW this series is never going to be finished.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine reading this blog post, where a person tells his fans that it was the worst year of his entire life, that he has lost many loved ones but still managed to write more than ever before...and then continuing to shit on him.

It baffles me how you can read this:

and then enter this thread with a "LOL he's never going to finish it, hahaha" remark.

Right? Your first mistake was expecting anyone to read his actual post, considering most never read beyond a title.

But it's a GRRM thread on Era, so of course it'll be filled with nothing but toxicity. People betting when he'll die, people saying he's lying and hasn't written anything, people moaning about how he's "stringing people along" by blogging... on his blog, etc.

Even the people proclaiming disinterest in the series will be there day-and-date when TWOW eventually does come out. Ain't fooling anyone.

Nov 18, 2020
GRRM reminds me of one of those people who claim that they're an author. But then when you ask them to show some of their writing, they are always very cagey about it....When in reality, they never wrote anything, and they just liked to call themselves an author because they felt a sense of accomplishment from bragging about it.

I know GRRM was a previously published author but his excuses sound eerily reminiscent to those kinds of people. Every year it's "I still have hundreds of more pages to write." It's a black hole of progress that sounds more like a scam every year that passes with nothing to show for it.

A Game of Thrones - August 1st, 1996
A Clash of Kings - November 16th, 1998 (2 years, 3 months)
A Storm of Swords - August 8th, 2000 (1 year, 8 months)
A Feast for Crows - October 17th, 2005 (5 years, 2 months)
A Dance with Dragons - July 12th, 2011 (5 years, 8 months)

If TWOW came out today, it will have been 9 YEARS and 6 MONTHS since the last book, nearly double the typical timeframe, and 5 times longer than the first three books. AND you're telling us there are hundreds of pages left to write? It feels like he never had a realistic plan to actually release TWOW. He was just fucking around and reveling in his newfound fame.

Last edited:

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
GRRM reminds me of one of those people who claim that they're an author. But then when you ask them to show some of their writing, they are always very cagey about it....When in reality, they never wrote anything, and they just liked to call themselves an author because they felt a sense of accomplishment from bragging about it.

I know GRRM was a previously published author but his excuses sound eerily reminiscent to those kinds of people. Every year it's "I still have hundreds of more pages to write." It's a black hole of progress that sounds more like a scam every year that passes with nothing to show for it.

If it came out today, it will have been 9 YEARS and 6 MONTHS since the last book, nearly double the typical timeframe, and 5 times longer than the first three books. AND you're telling us there are hundreds of pages left to write? It feels like he never had a realistic plan to actually release TWOW. He was just fucking around and reveling in his newfound fame.
Sorry, but you can't compare a man who has written many books to people who have written none, no matter how long it's taking him to release the latest one. It's obvious that the Ice and Fire series has just become more and more challenging to him the more he gets into it. You're just attacking his character.

Nov 18, 2020
Sorry, but you can't compare a man who has written many books to people who have written none, no matter how long it's taking him to release the latest one. It's obvious that the Ice and Fire series has just become more and more challenging to him the more he gets into it. You're just attacking his character.

I think it would help if he was actually upfront about his lack of progress with regular updates. Like how many words he has finished so far, what he deleted, why he deleted it, what he's struggling with, etc.

Instead it's just a nebulous and vague black hole that he's "working on" in perpetuity. The similarities to wannabe authors is STRIKING dude. He can't string people along for a decade and then complain about backlash.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
If I was GRRM, I would be claiming my dog ate my homework... uh... I mean Winds of Winter draft

Why would he need to when he's previously admitted to throwing out hundreds of pages when working on previous novels? Dude's process is insane.

I think it would help if he was actually upfront about his lack of progress with regular updates. Like how many words he has finished so far, what he deleted, why he deleted it, what he's struggling with, etc.

Instead it's just a nebulous and vague black hole that he's "working on" in perpetuity. The similarities to wannabe authors is STRIKING dude. He can't string people along for a decade and then complain about backlash.

Those would be spoilers.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I made this joke earlier, but I wanted to memeify it

Unknown.png

Nov 18, 2020
Those would be spoilers.

The characters are already well-established and millions of fans have already watched Game of Thrones. It wouldn't be too much to ask to make updates like "I deleted an Arya chapter today, I threw out a few thousand words because I wanted to take her in a different direction. I wrote 700 words today, and TWOW is now up to 1063 completed manuscript pages" is at least demonstrating that you're working on it.

Every procrastinator I've ever known is very cagey and vague about their (lack of) work.

Deleted member 90924

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021

If TWOW came out today, it will have been 9 YEARS and 6 MONTHS since the last book, nearly double the typical timeframe, and 5 times longer than the first three books. AND you're telling us there are hundreds of pages left to write? It feels like he never had a realistic plan to actually release TWOW. He was just fucking around and reveling in his newfound fame.

I'm not defending his lack of progress or his constant moving of the goal posts, overall, I'd say a lack of honesty to the public AND himself about his commitment and progress to Winds vis a vis other projects. but I will say, ten years to write a long novel is not crazy if it is re-written. It has long been a rumor that GRRM had to throw out almost all of his work on Winds back in 2016 (I think) b/c he wasn't happy with it and made many story changes. And of course, people know that GRRM made big changes to Feast/Dance.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell took Susanna Clarke ten years to write, and that book is excellent. Obviously, it was her first book and not another entry in a series as known as AOIAF, but ten years isn't that crazy. I have accepted that I will never read a Dream of Spring, but I am still hopeful that we will get Winds at some point.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I just don't care anymore. Its been too long, and the show already aired.

I wish George a happy life, but at this point he should just stop and enjoy what he's already done. Go drink some mixed drinks with little umbrellas on the beach and relax.

At the rate he is going he will be nearly 83 when he finishes writing a Song of Ice and Fire.

It's not worth it anymore guy.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I genuinely do not give a fuck anymore. My mind has mixed up the show and the books now and the show has ruined any passion I once had. It's sad.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Right? Your first mistake was expecting anyone to read his actual post, considering most never read beyond a title.

But it's a GRRM thread on Era, so of course it'll be filled with nothing but toxicity. People betting when he'll die, people saying he's lying and hasn't written anything, people moaning about how he's "stringing people along" by blogging... on his blog, etc.

Even the people proclaiming disinterest in the series will be there day-and-date when TWOW eventually does come out. Ain't fooling anyone.

Complaining about people not reading what Martin wrote is pretty funny given that, from what I see, no one is talking about his death here.

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when Dance With Dragons was released I would read it my car waiting on my 10 ten year old son while he took karate lessons.

He turns 20 years old this year.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

You could just flat-out espouse the baseless conspiratorial rhetoric that he hasn't written anything. People are openly doing that.

Not all authors work at the same pace, and certainly not at the breakneck pace of the world's Sandersons. Especially not when they aren't hungry or writing as their full time job.

You realize it took Tolkien two decades to write LOTR, right? Which, combined, is only slightly longer than ADWD alone. Moreover, he worked on the larger Middle Earth world for basically his entire life, establishing a detailed mythos not totally dissimilar to what GRRM has been doing with ASOIAF's various works.

And Tolkien died before completing his work on Middle Earth, with much of what we now know coming from his son piecing together his notes.

This theory -- really, let's call it what it is: lunacy -- that GRRM hasn't been writing is exasperating. He writes by PoV and inspiration, rather than linearly. When he changes something at one place in the story, he has to potentially do massive rewrites to bring everything into congruency. Repeat ad nauseam.

He's wildly inefficient, both in how he types (at his home, at his ancient computer) and how he writes. But he writes a shit ton. That's just a fact. I mean hell, we already have about 10 pre-released TWOW chapters (which are amazing, by the way).

Deleted member 90924

Banned
Jan 29, 2021
You realize it took Tolkien two decades to write LOTR, right? Which, combined, is only slightly longer than ADWD alone. Moreover, he worked on the larger Middle Earth world for basically his entire life, establishing a detailed mythos not totally dissimilar to what GRRM has been doing with ASOIAF's various works.

Good example!