• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ironjoe

Jan 26, 2018
NYC
Still day 1 here as well. But I gave up following his progress a long time ago. It'll be done when its done.

I will say that he's taught me to never start a fantasy series that's' unfinished. Its really increased my love of reading.

Teriyaki

Oct 27, 2017
Hundreds of pages? That's like a Saturday night for Sanderson.

Though I still think Winds is hundred of pages longer than Doors of Stone right now.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Yes please. I'll fucking take it, happily. If anyone could pull it off, it's Abercrombie.

Though, it's a fantasy, because GRRM's will won't allow it, most like, and I kind of suspect Abercrombie wouldn't want to take it either. :(
I like Abercrombie , but I think he is too cruel even for game of thrones. It often feels like GoT is not dark for the sake of being dark, but more trying to be more of a reflection of what medieval times were like (I mean within the constraints of it being a fantasy book). Not everyone is horrible all the time. From what I read from joe Abercrombie (first four books), very few people are redeemable if anyone at all.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha. Move on to a better series, join us in the Wheel of Time thread.
I've read the first book and don't agree as it didn't pull me in the same way Game of Thrones did. Maybe it needs a few more books to get going.

Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series looks to be more up my alley, Way of Kings is fantastic so far. Doubt anything will ever top ASOIAF though.

Jun 13, 2020
"I still have hundreds of more pages to write to bring the novel to a satisfactory conclusion.

That's what 2021 is for, I hope."

This doesn't seem too bad? He's hoping to finish the book before next year. That's something.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Is he going to be able to fit all of this into one book? It feels like it could stretch into two before even getting into A Dream of Spring.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I look forward to whatever half-finished thing they manage to edit together out of his draft chapters and notes in 2030 or whatever.

(I'm actually probably more hopeful than most in that I think TWoW does release eventually, but the last book seems just logistically impossible at this point)

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
It's too bad we will probably never get George's ending for this series. The books were terrific and it'll be a damn tragedy once they are left unfinished.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
This is like if I failed out of college 5 years ago because I didn't finish my final assignment and I emailed the professor today to say I'm still working on it. It's already been years too late to matter.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
As someone who hasn't read a single line of any of the books, I can't help but laugh whenever one of these updates pop up.

It feels like a dead meme revived once or twice a year. But I can imagine it sucks if you were eagerly anticipating the last 2(?) books.

At least you will always have season 8.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I still believe. It will be out sometime in the next few years. Don't have much hope of getting another book afterwards.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool if he finishes but I'm not invested in the storyline anymore. The tv series pretty much ruined it for me.

Best of luck GRRM, take your time and hopefully you can salvage the series.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I get it the meme is funny he writes slowly but in the same blog post he talks about how sad it is to get old and mourns the loss of a number of his friends to Covid. I wouldn't really blame him if his head wasn't in it.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who hasn't read a single line of any of the books, I can't help but laugh whenever one of these updates pop up.

It feels like a dead meme revived once or twice a year. But I can imagine it sucks if you were eagerly anticipating the last 2(?) books.

At least you will always have season 8.

The book & show plot diverged very significantly though. I mean in the book we've got
a resurrected Catelyn Stark walking around!

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
N.K. Jeminsin and Joe Abercrombie as such great talents. Everyone owes it to themselves to check out their work.

Oct 25, 2017
i do kind of hear the kill bill music in my head when i read these posts every year

edit: in that i feel myself losing my grip on reality, not anything darker than that, lol

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I like Abercrombie , but I think he is too cruel even for game of thrones. It often feels like GoT is not dark for the sake of being dark, but more trying to be more of a reflection of what medieval times were like (I mean within the constraints of it being a fantasy book). Not everyone is horrible all the time. From what I read from joe Abercrombie (first four books), very few people are redeemable if anyone at all.
Nah, I don't agree. There's plenty of humanity and moments of decency even in the grimdark world of Abercrombie too, and I find the mood in ASoIaF to be generally bleaker and somber than in Abercrombie's books, where there's a bit more moments of (admittedly often dark) humour.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Nah, I don't agree. There's plenty of humanity and moments of decency even in the grimdark world of Abercrombie too, and I find the mood in ASoIaF to be generally bleaker and somber than in Abercrombie's books, where there's a bit more moments of (admittedly often dark) humour.
Agreed. Things can be bleak in Abercrombie's work, but his prose is so stuffed with humor and wit that it's hard to not chuckle at least once even in the grimmer, darker moments.

Oct 29, 2017
I read somewhere that he's working on both at the same time, so he won't be starting from the beginning when this book is done.

Right. The way he works is that he writes character pov chapters, multiple chapters at a time per character. So he might write like 5 Jon chapters in a row, then 5 Arya chapters, etc. Then once he's getting the book together he'll piece the chapters where they need to go in the flow of the story. So it wouldn't surprise me if he was to say "hey this year I wrote 12 Jon chapters, 7 of which are in TWOW of 5 will be in ADOS". For example.

He's certainly not the most efficient writer out there but it is what it is.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting I have the diametrically opposed perception. I can't remember many moments of decency (at least not one motivated by 'moral' reasons) in the blade itself . I do agree that Abercrombie is funnier though.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, sure, ok GRRM...

I'm expecting to see an obituary article reporting the death of GRRM rather than a finished book at this point.

Oct 28, 2017
I still believe. It will be out sometime in the next few years. Don't have much hope of getting another book afterwards.

Same

I guess it depends on the years straight after TWOW is out. If we get the next book say 2022, and GRRM can use his momentum to barge straight into ADOS, and just keeps going with the end in sight, he has a chance

If he gets bogged down doing giant worldwide book tours for TWOW or getting involved with the GoT spinoff shows, and repeats all that delayed this book, ADOS seems more and more unlikely

Also, at that point he'd be nearing 80 and nobody can fault him if he can't keep up his former writing speed anymore and just wants to enjoy life

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
I have a zillion other things to do as well, though. My plate is full to overflowing. Every time I wrap up one thing, three more things land on me. Monkeys on my back, aye, aye, I've sung that song before. So many monkeys. And Kong.

Nothing is "landing" on you George that you can't just say "no" to. Just own up to the fact that you're more interested in monetizing your work than finishing it.

Goldbob

Sep 21, 2020
Obviously Georgr RR Martin isn't our bitch but if he actually doesn't care about writing this series anymore then he should stop treating us like his bitch with these bi-yearly nothing burger updates that just serve to keep people stringed along forever.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ok George, you do you. Best of luck and all that. But between the wait and other, arguably more compelling stories out there, I think it's safe to say I've outgrown you.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously Georgr RR Martin isn't our bitch but if he actually doesn't care about writing this series anymore then he should stop treating us like his bitch with these bi-yearly nothing burger updates that just serve to keep people stringed along forever.

GRRM isn't our bitch but we're also not his. We're under NO obligation to just smile and nod every time he lies to us about how much he's written year after year.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta give him credit for not pulling a DB & Weiss and rushing out any old shit, i guess

could be worse, i suppose. He could pull a Verner Vinge who seems to have just ghosted everyone on a 4th novel after the 3rd ended in a cliffhanger (Zones of Thought).

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Best year ! Maybe because I actually stayed home and wrote ? Who know ! 😂

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
True, true but he is just grifting people at this point.

No he's not.

A grift would be releasing a lot of spin-off shit for us to buy while promising an end to the series. He's not making money by not releasing anything. While World of Ice and Fire and Fire and Blood are indeed not the main series, he also didn't write them alone and they also took a while. He's not exactly churning out content for us to buy. This is the opposite of grifting, if anything you could call it him resting on his laurels.

Shit, at this point we're not even confirmed that he'll finish the side shit either. We got no updates on a future Dunk & Egg story. And we got no idea when the 2nd part of Fire & Blood is coming.