• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I feel like he sincerely believed that he would finish before the show did. Why he actually thought this when all evidence pointed to the contrary I will never know but I think that's what he believed.
Yeah it's just fascinating how it exploded and took own it's own life. I can't imagine a harder scenario to try and finish your series.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Its been almost 10 years since the last book.

I would be shocked if it is ever released.

I do feel bad for people really waiting for it to come out. I am not really mad as its his book and if he doesn't want to do it or is not motivated I don't think its cool to get angry at him over it. The one mistake he makes is he should shut up until he has a release date. These updates give people false hope.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
ASoIaF never being finished will be one of life's tragedies.

3 excellent books between 1996 and 2000.
Then 5 years until we got the underwhelming AFFC (still good, but noticeably weaker in comparison) and then 6 more years after that to get the also underwhelming ADWD.

Then 10 years of fucking nothing except a TV show that fucked everything up and potentially spoiled major plot points.

And that's not even the final book. There's to be (at least... lmao) one more after that. Remember A Dream of Spring?

I love this series so much, so it will always bum me out. I envy those who say "I don't care anymore" because I still care. šŸ˜­

lol I started the series in 1997 and read the last book when it came out in 2011.

So I'd quit now if I were you.
Ouch, I thought I had it rough as a "started in 2000" reader.

Maybe Abercrombie will finish the series someday. There is no way GRRM gets it done.
Yes please. I'll fucking take it, happily. If anyone could pull it off, it's Abercrombie.

Though, it's a fantasy, because GRRM's will won't allow it, most like, and I kind of suspect Abercrombie wouldn't want to take it either. :(

Oct 27, 2017
oh well, i've moved on from actually actively anticipating this in any way. so if it comes, it comes and that's great and I'll read it day 1.

if it doesn't though, not going to get up in arms over it

Oct 27, 2017
We all know where grrm has really been on his spare time...
6lhfbpew9yq21.jpg

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope elden ring comes out

ASOIAF doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
This series is the book analgue to Star Citizen. Expect he's not earning money from the unfinished work, but the feature creep certainly is comparable.

I felt the same with Wheel of Time when the pacing of the story started to noticably slow down book by book while more an more characters showed up. And I seem to recall that GRRM somewhere once stated that unlike Robert Jordan he won't allow anyone else to finish the series?

Yup, he's been on the record saying the series dies with him.

Jordan is an apt comparison. Both of them tended to add more and more elements to their worlds (characters, storylines, settings, etc) when they should have been making things more focused on an ending. The problem is that both Jordan and GRRM have a reputation of ignoring editors who give them advice like that and doing whatever they want. At some point the massive success of their series gave them too much control, and neither had the discipline to use it effectively.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
It does appear like writing the last 2 books became a prison for him, specially after the tv show ending. People are looking to the books to "fix" the tv show, and the desesperation gets worse as people think GRRM wont be able to finish.

It gets worse still for him when there are so many better things to do, so many new projects for him to work on.

I get it and I do feel for him. As long as he officializes somewhere what happens to the characters, it will come out eventually. I say he should enjoy his success with what he wants to do.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
holy hell it's rare I laugh out like I just did reading that thread title

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I know he doesn't owe us anything, but it's funny to call people on the internet assholes when HE HIMSELF said, and I quote:
GRRM said:
I tell you this ā€” if I don't have THE WINDS OF WINTER in hand when I arrive in New Zealand for worldcon, you have here my formal written permission to imprison me in a small cabin on White Island, overlooking that lake of sulfuric acid, until I'm done. Just so long as the acrid fumes do not screw up my old DOS word processor, I'll be fine.

Murr

Banned
Dec 5, 2019
I get being disappointed but I don't get being angry. If he wants to retire tomorrow, alright. This ain't Kickstarter, you didn't put forth a down payment for his creations. If your eternal enmity is the price he has to pay to lounge around with his millions for the rest of his life, well, I'm sure he wouldn't mind that much.

He's got some weird persecution complex stuff going on, though. He sounds like a 20-something author that was suddenly thrust into the spotlight, buckling under the pressure. Strange.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Then 5 years until we got the underwhelming AFFC (still good, but noticeably weaker in comparison) and then 6 more years after that to get the also underwhelming ADWD.

Then 10 years of fucking nothing except a TV show that fucked everything up and potentially spoiled major plot points.

And that's not even the final book. There's to be (at least... lmao) one more after that. Remember A Dream of Spring?

I love this series so much, so it will always bum me out. I envy those who say "I don't care anymore" because I still care. šŸ˜­

Ouch, I thought I had it rough as a "started in 2000" reader.

Yes please. I'll fucking take it, happily. If anyone could pull it off, it's Abercrombie.

Though, it's a fantasy, because GRRM's will won't allow it, most like, and I kind of suspect Abercrombie wouldn't want to take it either. :(

I still care dammit! I actually spend the weekend re-reading Dunk & Egg.

However, I disagree that AFFC/ADWD were underwhelming. Honestly, some of the best writing are in those novels. But, I only ever read the versions now where they are combined together.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even care anymore, if he ever finishes I'll just read a summary on a wiki.

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
I still care and this thread is like being kicked in the stomach.

I wish I could go back in time and prevent the show from ever having existed. Not only did it tank in a severe way, the spotlight provided by it led to all these opportunities on his plate. Which then all became more important.

Never would have guessed that the show would be such a hard lose all around.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
so unless this is thousands of pages long we can estimate he is about half way there

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
I know he doesn't owe us anything, but it's funny to call people on the internet assholes when HE HIMSELF said, and I quote:

This so much. His "woe is me, the Internet is being mean" schtick is really old. Yeah, there are a bunch of jerks on twitter, but these sorts of statements don't do him any favors, especially when it's clear that he's nowhere close to being finished and couldn't have been when he said that.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nice update, changed my expectations accordingly from 2050 to 2049 (assuming we animate him as a brain in a jar at some point).

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
That's what the TV show is. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜­
And it's a pretty good summary all things considered, it may not be perfect but at least it spared us two seasons of Tyrion asking where whores go.šŸ˜¤

I know he doesn't owe us anything, ...
Eh, he actually does owe the readers an ending (not legally but definitely morally), I really don't like the stupid Gaiman rant. When a writer starts a series of books there's an implicit promise the story will be finished, if there wasn't no one would buy the book. The fans made the book series a success which led to it becoming the HBO series which made GRRM rich and famous and he has been stringing along the book readers for a decade now.
If he won't finish he should say so, that would be an ending too, not narratively but of the charade that he's working hard on it which he clearly isn't.

Last edited:

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017

I love this series so much, so it will always bum me out. I envy those who say "I don't care anymore" because I still care.
This is basically 100% how I feel except for the last part. I genuinely do not care anymore, there's zero reasons for me to, I've had more fun with recently released books then I had with AFFC and ADWD. Probably the only author that made me lose interest faster than GRRM was Rothfuss after TWMF was bad and after he said Doors of Stone wouldn't include everything he set up and would be shorter than TWMF. He's never gonna finish Doors of Stone anyway.

Abercrombie is keeping me going for now with grimdark fantasy.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I can't be mad at the man, I'm on an internet forum instead of working right now. But it also hasn't been 10 years.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
As an aspiring writer who hasn't put pen to paper in several months, I can sympathize.

That said, it's a shame we'll never see the end of the series.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Can't respect the art if you can't respect the artist's creative process. I'm in support of him writing the book at whatever glacial pace he chooses. It's his book at the end of the day, not ours.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
He must have wrote himself into a corner and can't figure it out.

It's out when it's out, stay healthy and enjoy life george.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
This book will sell absolute gangbusters*.

*it would if it was real.

To be honest I'm not even sure people would be happy if someone else finished the series, even if GRRM told them exactly what happens

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
you could read 1 page a day and you would still be finished before TWOW releases

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest I'm not even sure people would be happy if someone else finished the series, even if GRRM told them exactly what happens

While I've admittedly not followed it that closely, I've got the impression Wheel of Time readers seemed rather okay with exactly that?

Killzig

Oct 25, 2017
Does he even do Wild Cards editing anymore? That seems like a pet project for the contributing authors that's cool in theory but appeals to like 2,000 people
He edited one that came out last year and wrote another that has a release date this summer. I believe he's also doing some production stuff / script writing for the TV/streaming series about it, but I could be wrong about that.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly think he was a little caught off guard with how much people hated the TV ending. I know it was rushed, but I really believe it was a cliff notes version of what he had in mind. He probably has no real desire to try and fix it. Oh well.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly think he was a little caught off guard with how much people hated the TV ending. I know it was rushed, but I really believe it was a cliff notes version of what he had in mind. He probably has no real desire to try and fix it. Oh well.
Hope not, because the ending has potential. Just not at all in the way the show did it. All those characters and storylines from the books could come together, and it could be 100x better. Even if the cliff notes version is more or less the same.

Bran is hardly even a show character, and a pretty bad one when he is around. In the book he is way more interesting and very likely one third of a very important prophecy. It would be entirely different than the D&D abomination.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All these authors not finishing their series by taking forever on the last few books and well... I just don't really care any more. I'm not reading this. I'll probably read Rothfuss' book whenever that comes out (if it does) since it's just one more book to end the trilogy. But to read this book and then know there still has to be one more that will never come out after it? I don't care enough.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Still holding out hope that he's doing TWoW and ADoS at the same time...

lol

But seriously, he still has hundreds of pages to go and he's not sure it will be released this year? That basically kills any hope of this coming out this year. I seriously question what he's been doing for 10 years. Large chunks of this had to have been thrown out or re-written. I get writing this monster book and bringing all these storylines together is a daunting task but dude.. it's been 10 years of "i've been writing like crazy" style updates. No you haven't. Stop blowing smoke up our ass. I appreciate Rothfuss just going dark on his book more and more.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All these authors not finishing their series by taking forever on the last few books and well... I just don't really care any more. I'm not reading this. I'll probably read Rothfuss' book whenever that comes out (if it does) since it's just one more book to end the trilogy. But to read this book and then know there still has to be one more that will never come out after it? I don't care enough.

Lol, I hate to break it to you, but Rothfuss admitted that the "trilogy" framing device was never the whole plan. It was just a gateway into the world he built and it wouldn't have even resolved everything.