• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
I'd probably have to say the Trails in the Sky Chapter 1. It felt like any other light hearted JRPG until you gradually see how well the world building is as you play more and more.

There is no timeline condition. Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2 example would work without including Mass Effect 3. etc.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
For me it was Beard Growing Simulator 2018. Took its sweet ass time getting anywhere but then beard growing simulator 2020 came out and whew that was a game changer

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune was a good little game. Its sequels were exceptional. Except maybe 4.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Mass Effect.

1 is okay but the Mako and the combat really dampered the whole experience for me. 2 was an improvement in every way. Storytelling, gameplay, graphics, soundtrack, etc.

3 is a dumpster fire tho so.....

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
Tales of Vesperia took a lot of time to wind up properly. But it did eventually get me decently engaged in the plot. It ended shortly after unfortunately.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Street Fighter 1 is a clunky ass mess

Street Fighter 2 and onward are good ass games

Mega Man 1 is also a pretty bad game, just a proof of concept compared to the others.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Don't hate me but... FF13. It starts off just as badly as everyone knows it does with hallway levels, a barely-explained plot with terms you have to look up to understand half of what's going on, long boring (but pretty!) cutscenes, forced party compositions you don't want, limited skill trees, etc.

However! I found that once you get to around chapter 8 or 9 and the game finally starts letting you really use the combat system a bit more, plus especially once you get to Pulse and get more freedom, I actually found myself really liking the game. The hunts and 'slow powering up' of your team, plus the cool environments and music of Pulse really won me over in the end.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trails games in general are sleepy as shit for the first game, get awesome at the end, then the 2nd game usually kinda rocks because of the build up.

Like the series overall but man it can be a bit of a snooze at times.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Hmmm, you know that's a good question OP. I've played a lot of series but i'm drawing a blank on one I would consider started out "rough/boring" and got better to the point of being something I now like (That's the way i'm taking this anyway). Since typically series go the other way for me where I just fall of interest lol. Though what you're referring to is pretty common in Television/Comics.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I hated all of the God of Wars until the Sad Dad sim.

Yeah, this is my answer, too. I don't think the recent God of War is an all-time great or anything, but it's solid and interesting and it was just about the smartest thing the series could have possibly done. Before that, God of War was the video game equivalent to one of those ~gamer~ shirts at the mall kiosk that's still selling knockoff Oakleys.

Polaris

Oct 29, 2017
Twin Cities, Minnesota
Saints Row series. It really only found its identity starting with 3. And as someone else already said, the Uncharted series. The first one is solid, but nothing amazing.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Steins;Gate was okay. Then it started, y'all know the place. Then it was good.

Then I hit the first bad ending, and quit. Revisited a few weeks later, thankfully, because what a read when seen all the way through. It went further, from good to fantastic.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
The longest beard grower for me was probably Legend of Zelda. I'm sorry I've tried time and time again but I just couldn't get into them. BOTW was amazing and I'm very hyped for 2.

There's a few other series where I didn't like the first game and got into it with the sequel (Assassin's Creed, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, The Elder Scrolls, Half-Life etc.) but LOZ is the one where it took more than 4-5 games for me.

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted 2

First half was boring as heck, luckily the second half made up for it. Even with the lame boss fight.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Dragon Quest. My first contact with the series was Dragon Quest VII on PlayStation, which I picked up based on the fables of DQ's success in Japan and the Akira Toriyama art — I was a young kid getting into DBZ as it started to explode in the US and the likeness to DBZ in the art style was attractive.

I kinda instantly bounced off of it, having actually not taken up an interest in JRPGs until Super Mario RPG and FFVII. It felt basic to me, personally.

Fast-forward to Dragon Quest VIII, and admittedly the bigger draw was the included FFXII demo in North America for me. Literally why I bought it. Having just come hot off of my first contact with the MMORPG genre and a months-long deep addiction to FFXI, a single-player FF game dictated by MMORPG-style mechanics was irresistible to investigate, even at the full then-49.99 cost of DQVIII. I tried DQVIII, I found the graphics charming, but again, something about its tried-and-true classical roots in its gameplay just did not resonate with me.

And then, I think I was listening to the Bombcast at some point around the North American release of Dragon Quest Heroes and I remember whatever podcast that was, they described it as this very charming mix of musou combat and RPG mechanics that was just enough to entice me into a purchase, and that's when Dragon Quest just started to click with me. I really loved its style, its sort of upbeatness and vibrancy. So I later picked up Dragon Quest Builders, and had the same kind of experience. And then in my pre-release excitement for DQXI, I saw the Tim Rogers DQXI videos via Kotaku, and I remember that taking all of my built-up interest from DQ Heroes and Builders and framing it in a way that seemed to give life to all of the classical elements of the series that I had largely felt was invisible or unknown to me. DQXI finally did come out, I played it and really appreciated how refreshingly straight-forward it was to play, how its art style kind of sold a different mood of fantasy that I was somewhat unaccustomed to and felt completely charmed by, and to top it all off, I fell in love with the story and the cast of that game. Ever since DQXI's PS4 release in North America, I have gone back to the mobile ports of older games and trudged through them a bit, bought the DQ ports/remakes for 3DS, and still to this day continue to kind of expand on my growing appreciation for the series. I'm a very late comer to this realization, but I do now find DQ to be extremely charming and loveable, save for a few cultural points of friction — I refer, specifically, to long-time series composer Sugiyama and his vile political beliefs, but I won't start that conversation up here and I'm sure most users that care about DQ on this site are aware of what I'm alluding to.

Still, I've had some contact with Dragon Quest and some awareness of its stature in Japan for a good long while but it was just within this generation that it finally struck me and won me over. DQXI is maybe even one of my favorite games of this generation, and I am loving going back and being able to still appreciate some of the older titles because of just how familiar the systems and elements of these games are. Hell, thanks to Heroes and Builders, I feel like I can even safely invest excitement towards the series' spinoff titles.

Aug 28, 2019
Many years ago I played a demo for Thief that came with an issue of PC Gamer, and I hated it. I think the standard demo was the first mission (Bafford's Manor), which is a good choice, but this particular demo was for Assassins, where you have to trail some unseen assassin through the twisty city streets on a time limit. The opening cutscene wasn't even included (or just didn't work), so there was no context for what was happening. You start the mission in a store, the shopkeeper instantly drops dead, and after a while the mission ends if you didn't keep up or went the wrong way. The mission works fine in the context of the full game, but as a standalone demo it was a terrible choice and doesn't even demonstrate the core gameplay very well.

It wasn't until years later that I found a copy of the game in its trapezoid box for $2.99 and decided to give it another chance. It ended up being one of my all-time favorite games, along with Thief 2.

-----

Original Doom is another one. I played this game when it was new, but I actually found it kinda boring, even though I enjoyed other early FPS games like The Catacomb Abyss and slightly later ones like Quake and Duke 3D. In retrospect, the problem was simple: I kept setting the difficulty too low. I don't know why I did that or why I didn't think to turn it up higher. Eventually I gave it a spin on Ultraviolence and finally got what made it great.

-----

Tomb Raider, both as a series and the original game. I didn't own this game as a kid, but my friend had it on Playstation so I tried it a few times. I thought the controls were too awkward, and I really never saw past the start of the game where you're just running through a cave. I did enjoy The Last Revelation a few years later, but it wasn't until Legend came out that I really became a fan of the series, despite its many ups and downs over the years. I also have a much better appreciation for the early games now, both in their own right and for their place in action-adventure history.