• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You need to go to the review thread for that game.
Everyone . I merely said why r we congratulating MS and everyone forced me to edit my comment lol

Can send you the link if you want
people praising microsoft for the outer worlds are wrong, because they didn't really have much to do with it. and people blaming microsoft for this game are also wrong, because it's been in development since before the acquisition. it's not an either/or argument

Flou

Jan 31, 2019
Not really, at least not for me. It's good they can work on whatever project they want, but I would love to see literally anything else. Pillars 3, a smaller side game based on Pillars engine, a historical RPG which Josh Sawyer always wanted to make. But not this.

Sawyer just started on his project as he had a break after Deadfire from leading projects. You can probably expect to hear about his project next year. Not sure if it will be that historical game though, as he has been commenting about a non-violent crpg as well.

As to Pillars 3... The people working on the previous 2 games most likely need a break from those games after spending half a decade on those. Brennecke, Null and Atadero all worked on both Pillars games and the DLC's in some capacity. Working on game that is completely different is probably quite good for them.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone congratulated Ms for success of outer world and how great it was yet no one should say something if they don't like grounded ? Which is it man ? I m a bit confused .

Anyways I m sure it will have its own following . Online survival games tend to find their own niche
MS were not responsible for either, that's the important part. I doubt people's intent was to applaud MS for work they've not produced, rather congratulations on talent inherited.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
If this game plays with child fears in interesting ways, I can see myself trying this out. Good to hear it's a hand-crafted world. It's no surprise some within the Pillars team at Obsidian now do something different. Game Pass lowers the entry barrier to a title like Grounded. Let's see and wait.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
MS were not responsible for either, that's the important part. I doubt people's intent was to applaud MS for work they've not produced, rather congratulations on talent inherited.
Then we both agree on the point . These have still nothing to do with MS . MS fostered games will come out around 2022 or 2023 . Those will be all under Ms management . Anyways obsidian is a very talented dev so 2023 for a AAA rpg is kinda booked imo

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
So...MS acquires one of the best RPG developers...and this is what they make?

giphy.gif

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is the exact opposite of what I'd want out of Obsidian. I take solace in the fact that they're not spending much time on this.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It is an rpg. They already confirmed a branching story with multiple endings and skill trees. It's just an rpg with significant survival elements,

For what it's worth, the PR communication for the game explicitly avoided the label RPG, but discussion with the devs did use the phrase "rpg mechanics". One of those grey areas where definitions can get loose.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
The setting and more heavy focus on PVE could be interesting, but I don't know if I'm interested in another survival game in this vein.

Topper

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is embarrassing and I hope the 13 devs that are working on this don't read it. Let devs make what they want. Anyways looks cool, might be something my son and I can play together, looking forward to trying it on gamepass.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Why does MS exclusive new ips seem to use the same kind of art style? What is it with that?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Played a chunk of this. Was super fun. It's a unique spin on the survival and building genre. Reminded me of Honey I Shrunk The Kids or Bugs Life.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Not a big fan of the setting, but I was sold as soon as I heard base building!

Just hope they don't drop the survival aspect in favor of a battle royal mode... cough Fortnite cough

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it's the last thing i wanted or expected but the world doesn't revolve around me, nothing about the game looks objectively bad and it's Obsidian so there's a variable stamp of quality there

not my jam but looks good, even compelled to dabble in it a bit. this is Obsidian in primetime, for better or worse. and i wish them best of luck

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I'm actually very interested in this. I don't play many survival games but the setting here really appeals to me.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm actually very interested in this. I don't play many survival games but the setting here really appeals to me.
I found the setting really interesting. It's the scale of things that made it unique. It's such a mix of places that feel like jungles, even though it's grass, and lakes, even though it's puddles. You then get these massively oversized objects dropped in to. It really was fun to just stare at stuff haha.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

Brennecke said they started working on Grounded before the Microsoft acquisition, after Pillars of Eternity II wrapped up (that game came out May 8, 2018). They put a small team to work on it after getting approval from Obsidian boss Feargus Urquhart. They got a prototype running, got some art, and everyone thought it was a good idea.

And Microsoft bought into it as well.

"They've been very supportive," he said. "They checked out the game, said keep working on it, it looks really cool. They were pleasantly surprised."

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Ooof, hard pass for me. If they hadn't explicitly said they were making this before Microsoft, I would've totally believed MS forced them to do this haha. Honestly disappointed

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure someone has pointed this out by now, but this looks exactly like a movie I saw when I was a kid called Honey I Shrunk The Kids. Right down to ants playing a major role

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it could get them by until they release ToW2, if it blows up.

Doesn't look too hot though.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Could be fun. Either way, it's a nice sign of MS being willing to let their studios experiment and branch off into smaller teams.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
This game looks really cool to me and my 3 teenage boys, and it is great that you can play 4 player co-op too. This was made by a handful of people at Obsidian while they have worked on Outer Worlds and other unannounced RPGs that people expect. I love the fact that Microsoft is willing to fund creative side projects in addition to the "expected" games from their studios, and it really adds that much more variety to Xbox Game Pass.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested. In all the events and such I haven't played it yet but it's one of the things I wanna play tomorrow. It has potential.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
That's my dream game right there!! Always wanted something like this since I played Toy Story 2 on N64!

Oct 25, 2017
Not super interested in this. As much as I would have liked for them to make something in a genre I like, it must be nice for the developers to make something different and not just churn out rpgs.

I'm mostly hoping that since they are branching out that Sawyer will one day be able to make one of his games idea such as the bike shop simulator.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of survival multiplayer. That said, it looks cool and it's a relatively unique take on survival genre.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
It looks nice! I really don't understand the misery.

I thought people wanted to encourage experimentation and new IP from studios?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gave me a warm fuzzy feeling thinking back to Honey i Shrunk the Kids. Not sure if it's my type of game but I'll keep an eye on it towards release. It does look cool.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I like the theme. I'm a sucker for that oversized world/miniaturised people visual. But the moment it started talking about building shit my interest fell through the floor. Looks like a service game like rust or fallout 76. Get people in and playing what amounts to very little for a very long span of time. Pass.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Comes out Spring 2020 and we have "Man this is what we get with Microsofts Obsidian!" comments. Y'all need to fuckin' chill and pay attention or something.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Here is a good article with the developers - https://www.gamesradar.com/obsidian-grounded-new-xbox-one-exclusive-interview/

And man I hope that I never get as "old" and grumpy sounding as some of you on here about anything that doesn't look like what you think it should be :) It was made by 13 people as a side project at Obsidian while they work on larger projects. This is a cool looking concept that really hasn't bee done before in such a game world, and myself and 3 boys are excited about it.

Subxero

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Looks like fun. I love a good survival/build game.

The animations aren't too hot in Outer Worlds either. That game is good anyway.

Last edited: