• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 8, 2017
Thanks Microsoft for buying Obsidian. Seriously fuck that. Looks ugly as hell and we don't need another fucking survival craftaton game. I am actually mad at this announcement.

They were making it before the acquisition. Microsoft just let them continue developing it. It's not clear whether the entire Pillars team is on this or just a portion.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
So, that's made by the Pillars of Eternity team at Obsidian? That makes me sad.

Shame that Pillars II flopped.

Deleted member 57020

User requested account closure
Banned
May 25, 2019
Basically seems like a more family-friendly version of typical survival games, but I can't see anything unique beyond the different environment and enemies.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
At first I was like "eh, another survival game in 2020 ?", but honestly the setting does look kind of fun.
I hope there's some kind of twist in the gameplay loop tho, because we've all played multiple survival games between 2010 and 2015 lol. At some point you understand that once you've played one, you've played them all, with Minecraft still being the most fun and unique.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Eugh, it's like it's a game that's trying way too hard to be the next Twitch sensation, only it's years too late.
Stole the building elements from Fortnite, add the survival elements of DayZ/Ark, sprinkle in Minecraft's resource gathering and crafting and add in a shitload of cosmetics for DLC. Surefire winner, right?

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
obsidian was just acquired and all the tiny individuals blaming MS for a game they wanted to make that was assuredly in dev already

lmao, love Era

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I already love it. I love everything that has to do with being small in a big world. Toy Commander on Dreamcast was such a gem for me because of this. There are not enough games like these.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not necessarily my thing, but who knows? Also, since it's confirmed to be a very small team of 13 people and a side project, I'm OK with that.

I'm glad Obsidian can do what it wants to do.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
People really blaming Microsoft for them choosing to develop this? Cmon. I'm always down for seeing developers do something new than their usual genres.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Not only is it not what I look for in an Obsidian game, it's also a survival game which I am super over. How sad.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is not at all the kind of game I wanted from Obsidian

Man Scarlett is shaping up to be an uber skip

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Read This: https://www.pcgamesn.com/grounded/x019-announced
While most of the survival tropes are accounted for in bright and charming variations, this is still an Obsidian game – and here, the studio insists that the most important hallmarks of its games are the worlds they let you inhabit. Grounded is not procedurally-generated. Every detail has been built by the hands of a human designer, and there's a "very crafted" story that guides you through the tech tree toward a definitive conclusion. This is a game that "still has Obsidian's soul in it," according to director and producer Adam Brennecke.

"We've been wanting to make a survival game for some time," Brennecke tells me. The small team on Grounded, currently just over a dozen people, began work in earnest after Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire launched, shortly before the Microsoft acquisition, but "we tried to get a prototype even before that point. It's a passion project for a lot of us here. We really liked the survival genre. It's really cool to innovate in that area and add our own Obsidian spice to the mix".

He continues: "Pretty much everyone on the team has worked at Obsidian for their entire careers. It's in our soul and our DNA that we make Obsidian games. I only know how to make Obsidian games. There's going to be a lot of things that you would expect in an Obsidian game in this title. We want to create not only a handcrafted world with a lot of world building and detail that you would typically find in an Obsidian title, but a rich narrative that will lead you through the story

Also, the game has Metroidvania elements and is being made by a team of just over a dozen people. Obsidian has over 200 employees. Relax guys, it's a fun indie project, not the next AAA Obsidian game.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This could be an amazing game, but it's not for me. I want SP-focused games from Obsidian.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
They were making it before the acquisition. Microsoft just let them continue developing it.
Some people in here really thinking it got greenlighted by Microsoft, pre-produced, and was far enough into full production in order to make this trailer in exactly 12 months, and to already be released in spring.
Kinda expecting to get @ with "it looks like shit, it could have been possible to do all this in less than a year" lol

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Here's some of the details to clear a few things up.

A small team mostly comprised of ex-Pillars. Only about 13-people total. First concepted in 2017, didnt really start until after Deadfire shipped (May 2018). Seems very much like a passion project.
Will be on Steam (Early Access), Microsoft Store (Xbox Game Preview), and Game Pass / Game Pass for PC.
Not explicitly listed as an RPG an all. Going with "survival adventure".

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
They literally just realized Outer Worlds to huge success...

What is with all the whining in this thread? So toxic, let dev's create what they want.

Good lord I'm just expressing personal disappointment that the game isn't anything that appeals to me. Don't take it so personally.

Umm...I'm pretty sure he was expecting Obsidians game to be next gen and...not whatever Grounded is.

This