• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Bugs moving into my building is not ok and that is a huge issue for me. Why should I build something when they glitch into it?

Not playing it until they fix it.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I see this game going places if they keep up with the updates like Terraria and Minecraft. Like, this has the potential to be one of the greater survival games like those frfr. But they gotta get on it fast.

nNREwij.jpg

Glad to see that the game supports ultrawide. Do we know if they'll be adding a survival mode where you lose everything upon death? I kind of wish dying had more of a penalty.
You do lose everything on death unless Im missing something?

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Bugs moving into my building is not ok and that is a huge issue for me. Why should I build something when they glitch into it?

Not playing it until they fix it.
I think the "bugs will attack your base" is intended, but not the glitch inside your base stuff. I imagine they will add more base defense/base under attack notifications down the line. But yeah, that's why most people are building above ground (though my guess is they eventually add aggressive bees/wasps etc. for that).

Moai

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chile
Not yet, but hopefully that's a QoL feature down the line, or making bigger stacks.
I really like the carrying things back (the grass/weed planks) and i hope they make more large objects like that and if they eventually make taming, some way of putting them on like, a couple of ants that can follow you back to the base

this. We need something to carry more grass planks.

Rumi

Oct 26, 2017
You can pick up all your stuff at the spot you died.
Yup, It doesn't seem to matter how many times you die before retrieving your gear either. It's a really fun game but it doesn't have any real consequences for dying which seems odd for a survival game. I could just be over thinking this though.

Last edited:

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
Is this a real 'early access' game as in still in alpha? Wondering if I should wait until its polished or just jump in

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Does anyone knows if resources like Grass, Dandelion and etc grows naturally with time?

I'm starting to build my base, and I need a lot of materials... Thing is that I don't want to deforest the world :(

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this game going to get persistent servers/lobbies/realms like in Minecraft? I love how the building works but its clearly done with coop in mind as you have to manually carry some materials. But putting down a blueprint first and building on it is smart.

My main issue is I would love if the game world was persistent among friends. So while I'm at work my buddy can gather resources. Then I get on and we start building together. Afterword he would leave and I can keep going. Or maybe on my lunch break I work to finish the outpost we were working on. Etc

Does anyone knows if resources like Grass, Dandelion and etc grows naturally with time?

I'm starting to build my base, and I need a lot of materials... Thing is that I don't want to deforest the world :(

As it turns out the whole game was an allegory on sustainability

This would be a cool game or game mechanic. Resources grow back but at different rates. How do you progress and build your base/society without running into resource issues [/spoilers]

Last edited:

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Dang was hoping to give this a go as my gamepass was paid up until 8/5 but I cancelled the renewing payment and that just killed my gamepass access immediately :/

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
Played a few hours yesterday with a friend. We had a lot of fun for the most part. Started off with way too small of a base, before building a bit of a larger one out of weeds. We should have built closer to a landmark, although we were able to use trail markers and the map to still find it pretty reliably. Only negative of the whole experience was when a wolf spider wandered into the starting area as my teammate was respawning, and trapped him in the respawn area for like 5 mins haha.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Some screenshots I snapped today.

Also, I must say, I don't scare easily at all, but the Spiders in this game can freak me out (in a great way). Those spiders make the game.

QuJ2FTC.jpeg

mMPBUvT.jpeg

FMO8Wr0.jpeg

MjYrysv.jpeg

W5wi7T4.jpeg

o1LcFOw.jpeg

98kogo7.jpeg

P.S. This game is still stunning at 4k/Epic settings. If the Series X version matches this at 4k 60, people are really in for a surprising treat on launch day.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a real 'early access' game as in still in alpha? Wondering if I should wait until its polished or just jump in
It's "early access" enough to where I wouldn't recommend people paying money for it.

That said, if you have Game Pass I would recommend giving it a try because as early as it is, I still thought it was a lot of fun.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
It's because Arachnophobia works differently than being "scared" of spiders. This is a TRUE arachnophobia mode, which is interesting - the slider operates by eliminating common triggers of arachnophobia, such as the movement (by taking out some of the legs) or the eyes. That's why there are several presets on the slider. Cartoon spiders can still be very scary for people with arachnophobia, if those other elements are there. (Actually, Ellen from OutsideXtra, formerly of Xbox, has 2 great videos where she has to endure seeing video game spiders and explains why they are or are not scary. It definitely would surprise a lot of people.)

That said, wouldn't mind if they added in some settings to the slider for people without full-on arachnophobia, but maybe would still appreciate a less aggressive presentation ahah. Wool spiders could be interesting o.o Maybe also the stuff of nightmares...
That's interesting.

The Arachnophobia mode doesn't do enough in the first couple of options, and then it does too much after that. For example, the 1st option on the slider will take away some of the spiders legs, but it still very much looks like a spider. The 2nd option removes the legs completely, but keeps the fangs - which is one of the intimidating features of the spiders. Once the fangs are gone, that's when it begins to look more friendly, but at that point it becomes too far removed to look like anything.

If I were to change it, I'd remove the eyes and fangs completely, shade the body color with a solid brown and green (for the wolf and orb spider respectively), and make the legs straight with no joints in them.

And yeah, a cartoon or wool spider might actually have a different type of scary factor to it. Can you imagine a spider with 2 big cartoon eyes staring at you from the dark xD

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's "early access" content wise. The world is there, the base building is there, but there's half an hour of quests to do. So it's a survival game, really. If you're able to enjoy world building games with a lack of a long term goal, go for it through Game Pass.

Rumi

Oct 26, 2017
ZxBdqTa.png

j6ic8zR.jpg

bN2e6VQ.jpg

some shots with depth of field and chromatic abberation turned off via the engine ini

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
FUCK wolf spiders. Motherfuckers sneaking up behind poor innocent folks around the oak tree. Whole area's lousy with the 8 legged bastards but there's nothing quite like climbing up on a root specifically to look for spiders, not seeing any, opening the menu real quick, then closing and OH MY GOD IT'S BEHIND ME

I've just given up on the bag of stuff I was carrying around.

Where're people building their bases? Number one concern for me has to be safety. Wanted to put it on the light near the oak tree, but, well, spiders. Sure, they can't get up there, but hauling materials into place would be such a nightmare.

TheTruth

Jul 23, 2018
It's a strange approach they have taken, as the game from polish side is far more complete than most of the "finished" survival games. Each item you chop or dig or cut has animations for it, the world is beautiful and detailed. But the content side leaves you wanting a bit more, I'm looking forward look at this game a year from now and see how much it will change content vise.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Started a new character simply to see how quickly the main stuff could be knocked out, and yeah - if you know what you are doing it's pretty damn straight forward. On the plus side, this new character has a much better setup now since, again, I know what I am doing. Kind of half started a base by the mysterious machine - there are some rocks there that get you up off the ground without having to build above the grass line.

The base building is both much more refined that I would have expected, and also sporting some weird bugs. I've ended up with a 'planned' build spot inside a rock that I can't delete because it's inside a rock - but I also have no idea how i got it there in the first place.

Also surprised how much more there is to craft. I thought I'd mostly unlocked it all originally, but it's like if you find one new plant or animal you originally missed - a whole host of things open up for you to craft.

Oct 25, 2017
FUCK wolf spiders. Motherfuckers sneaking up behind poor innocent folks around the oak tree. Whole area's lousy with the 8 legged bastards but there's nothing quite like climbing up on a root specifically to look for spiders, not seeing any, opening the menu real quick, then closing and OH MY GOD IT'S BEHIND ME

Where're people building their bases? Number one concern for me has to be safety. Wanted to put it on the light near the oak tree, but, well, spiders. Sure, they can't get up there, but hauling materials into place would be such a nightmare.

Me and three friends built the base exactly there, i can imagine solo being a nightmare to do that but in coop it was quite quick tbh. The spiders mostly roam there during early day-time and during night-time when they go out, it was, in general, not so dangerous to do it. It just takes time.

Rumi

Oct 26, 2017
I've started to just build a stem door entering the computer analyzer tent with the stem walls on each side. It's snug enough for nothing to get in. I'm not sure how well it can hold up but I feel pretty safe for now.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

Here:

Ok this is definitely my favorite place right now.
Zero spiders in the last 2 hours. In front of this branch where the video starts, there was nothing besides these red little ticks and you have infinite sap and a scanner tent. This will be an awesome base some day.

save-126.png

Still kinda wish I could build a cool looking base around something or integrate it to some giant objects or trees, but it just isn't possible to do safe so I will make this look great with a lot of work.

OP
OP
DeoGame

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
My base is literally just a set of stairs up to the fence separating the flowers and dead plants. It is just a lean to and all the essentials. Tons of Orb Weavers further down the fence but none near and if they do get close, one arrow scares the fuck outta them and the run off because I am too high up.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
That's interesting.

The Arachnophobia mode doesn't do enough in the first couple of options, and then it does too much after that. For example, the 1st option on the slider will take away some of the spiders legs, but it still very much looks like a spider. The 2nd option removes the legs completely, but keeps the fangs - which is one of the intimidating features of the spiders. Once the fangs are gone, that's when it begins to look more friendly, but at that point it becomes too far removed to look like anything.

If I were to change it, I'd remove the eyes and fangs completely, shade the body color with a solid brown and green (for the wolf and orb spider respectively), and make the legs straight with no joints in them.

And yeah, a cartoon or wool spider might actually have a different type of scary factor to it. Can you imagine a spider with 2 big cartoon eyes staring at you from the dark xD
That's why Obsidian worked with Microsoft's user research lab and did actual research with actual people about actual triggers of this irrational fear of spiders. Yes, fangs are intimidating. But it's not the only thing that triggers peoples' arachnophobia. One of the biggest triggers is movement. Spiders move in a really distinctive way. By taking away 3 of the legs, you change the way it walks. That won't be enough for everyone, but it's sufficient for people whom are affected thusly. But anyway, that's why there's a slider. If people need more settings, that's fine.

If ya'll haven't seen these videos, they're fun (?) and great.

Flou

Jan 31, 2019
It's a strange approach they have taken, as the game from polish side is far more complete than most of the "finished" survival games. Each item you chop or dig or cut has animations for it, the world is beautiful and detailed. But the content side leaves you wanting a bit more, I'm looking forward look at this game a year from now and see how much it will change content vise.

I think it's the correct approach. They are a company owned by one of the biggest corporations. They will not get any slack for lack of polish during early access. The game needs to look great and feel good to play, otherwise it will get stomped to death.

Not to mention, these are not some newbies making a game. It's a very talented bunch of people making a game. That should show and feel, when you are playing the game. With many of the early access games, it's a huge learning curve for the developers on how to make a game.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Im wondering if we will ever go "inside" the house like honey I shrunk the kids? Would be cool if that was a planned biome?

Also would like more random events like full sized people walking over grass and destroying everything (including spiders) or lawnmowers cutting everything down.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

It's reasonably polished for an early access game, but there's almost no story content, so there's not a whole lot to do. The demo had a 30 minute limit giving you the impression that there might be more to dive into when it hit early access, but there really isn't. It's a bar management game right now with everything constantly depleting or degrading and you spending time to prevent that. If they gave you an option to turn that off like in Subnautica, there's probably barely an hour's worth of content.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

I play solo so far. I picked out a spot including rock between the first Research Station and the Western Grassland Anthill, right where the grass transitions from verdant to dead. It's not perfect. Was a little funky to build out and there's one particularly dangerous type of bug that tends to path near it randomly but no spiders and as long as I don't pick a fight with the ants near the base, it's been fine.

What I've found was far more important for safety than location was building materials and design. It will take quite a bit of concentrated attacking from the bugs in the area to get through and I've designed it so that I can pluck away at any attacks from above with my bow if it's a big enough swarm that I don't want to risk melee right away. I've had zero attacks on the base out of nowhere and only two attacks on it overall, both resulting from me starting fights with bugs close to it.

I could always do what some others have and tried to build up high on an object no other bugs can get to but I feel like that removes some of the element of risk in the game. I want to contend with that risk and see what I can accomplish, so I've tried to focus on building defensively rather than avoiding the risk altogether.

TheTruth

Jul 23, 2018
Im wondering if we will ever go "inside" the house like honey I shrunk the kids? Would be cool if that was a planned biome?

Also would like more random events like full sized people walking over grass and destroying everything (including spiders) or lawnmowers cutting everything down.
I agree, though releasing a game with a 30-minute story content is still very strange to me, as even though there is side content to do, it's very basic and shallow.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
There's SO much stuff to find and explore lol, played every evening till late night and I'm still finding tapes, labs, places to explore. This game does so much with technically so little, I'm impressed every time I finish for the night. After exploring the ant hill, the hedge is probably next.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
It seems I've been tricked into playing a horror game...

Spiders are seriously crazy in this game. I fucking freeze up everytime I see one.

lexible

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This game has LOTS of paralells with Subnautica, which is a good thing, cause Subnautica is probaly the creme of the crop of survival games.

Flou

Jan 31, 2019
Wohoo. I just managed to kill my first Orb Weaver. Still scared shitless everytime I see one.

Flou

Jan 31, 2019
What's the best weapon to kill high level creatures. My axe isn't cutting it. (No pun intended)

I used a Larva Blade and made an armor out of Acorn shells. Acorn shells are somewhat dangerous to get as it's in the spider land. Larva blade requires you to kill few Larva's which are quite nasty bugs.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Subnautica didn't click with me at all, while this one immediately resonated. Maybe it really boils down to the setting, I might just dislike swimming/underwater stuff in games generally.
that and this game has actual weapons from the beginning. So you can face your fears head on.

This game clicks better with me too.

Moai

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chile
I hope down the line they add bosses like toads, birds, mouses or stuff like that. This gane has great potential.