• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overdoziz

Oct 26, 2017
So, played this for like an hour, does this actually offer anything new other than the settings?
Seems like a pretty standard survival game gameplay-wise.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
just played an hour an a half and really really liked what i saw, and no gamebreaking bug whatsowever

Im just scared there wont be a lot of content right now... just activated the 3 lasers and need to go to the oak tree

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
OP says the story is only 20% complete. How exactly does that work? Is there a limit to how far you can progress/explore?

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
OP says the story is only 20% complete. How exactly does that work? Is there a limit to how far you can progress/explore?

You get constant quests as you play. Eventually you finish a quest and don't get another one. Just a notice that this is the end of the Story content available.

After that it's just a case of playing the survival aspect of the game, harvesting resources, building a home, and outposts, and exploring the world.

There are blocked off areas of the map. Not sure if you can explore them, haven't tried.

yeahwrite

Apr 17, 2020
My oldest son (he's almost 9) and I played a bunch today, him more than me. I'm not a super huge fan of survival games, but I like this one. I'm digging the aesthetic a lot, there's a bit of a 90s vibe without being too in-your-face about it. Also the narrative hooks give you something to chase after, so it's not just crafting for crafting's sake. Kind of reminds me of Subnautica in that way.

At some point my son, who REALLY does not like bugs, asked me to take over and play for him. Those spiders have him spooked! As I'm typing this I can hear my wife putting him to bed trying to reassure him that he has nothing to worry. We can't pull the "they aren't real" thing like we did with monsters. I literally killed a gnarly looking spider in the kitchen earlier today. So...we'll see how much more of this game he plays, lol.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, played this for like an hour, does this actually offer anything new other than the settings?
Seems like a pretty standard survival game gameplay-wise.
it's pretty standard survival game, but the setting make it really unique. I dont play a lot of survival game so im not burned out for now

James_liv

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Played for a few hours with friends tonight. Aesthetic is ace but the game we thought was so so.

The spider chased us and killed us near the oak tree. Evwrytime we went back for our stuff the spider just killed us again, and again, and again.

Ended up ditching all our hard earned armour, mats etc and starting over.

It also chased us into the lab and got us cornered actually deep inside.

I hope they fix the spider stuff or make it so you spawn with your armour still on to at least give you half a chance.

Also, built a house only for the spider to trample it down.

A fairly frustrating evening all in all.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Played a bit of singleplayer and thought it was good, I can see this game being fun with friends. I absolutely dislike spiders though and I'm glad there's options in the menu to adjust their visuals.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
is there no online play currently?

Edit: apparently between when I played at 4pm and when I played at 8pm there was a patch released so the error I was getting was due to my game being out of date.

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
played with 2 of my friends - seamless pc/xbox crossplay.

had a blast getting a little base together over 2 hours. this is a real gem.

i wonder how much it's going to change as new content comes out.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Tried to play with some friends. Had a lot of crashes and technical issues, sadly. Multi may have to wait until they iron out whatever's causing it.

As for the rest of the game, it's fun. The aesthetic is great, and it feels much better to play than most other survival games I've tried. I like the mystery stuff and the robot helper dude a lot. Going to dig into it more tomorrow, most likely.

broderm

Jun 15, 2020
The worst part after playing this game, is going to sleep and never stop thinking about spider and hearing their noise. Terrifying.

Linkeds2

Nov 15, 2017
North Bay, CA
Spoiler need help
I was able to get into the oak lab once and then died. Now when I go back to the door it is locked and won't unlock for the entire day. Anyone else come across this and know what I have to do to unlock it. Or Gould I just start a new game?

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I enjoyed that first couple hours. I generally don't like survival games, but I really love the charm and setting of Grounded. I don't think I'll play a lot more until it's out of early access, but I could see getting really into this if it ends up delivering on where they seem to be going with it.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played solo and reached the "end"

Gonna try with friends. I could see the base building be fun.

I dunno what their scope of the game would be but I would love more players, including maybe hostile ones like in Minecraft.

I'm assuming we will eventually get to go inside the house. That would be a fun change of scenery.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't care about spiders but I do have a bit of a slug phobia. I really hope they don't get added in the future, I don't think I'd be able to handle it.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
My oldest son (he's almost 9) and I played a bunch today, him more than me. I'm not a super huge fan of survival games, but I like this one. I'm digging the aesthetic a lot, there's a bit of a 90s vibe without being too in-your-face about it. Also the narrative hooks give you something to chase after, so it's not just crafting for crafting's sake. Kind of reminds me of Subnautica in that way.

At some point my son, who REALLY does not like bugs, asked me to take over and play for him. Those spiders have him spooked! As I'm typing this I can hear my wife putting him to bed trying to reassure him that he has nothing to worry. We can't pull the "they aren't real" thing like we did with monsters. I literally killed a gnarly looking spider in the kitchen earlier today. So...we'll see how much more of this game he plays, lol.

hahah! Going to be doing the same with my 9 year old son tomorrow!

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Where do you find the research tapes for the BURG-L? I want to unlock floors and ceilings but when I go to the science shop it says I don't have any research tapes.

Shads

Jun 6, 2020
Surprisingly fun. Hopped on with a couple friends through crossplay (1 Steam, 2 Xbox) and only had 1 disconnect after playing for about 3 hours. We definitely ran into some graphical and UI glitches, so hopefully that gets polished out. We did complete the main story objectives, but want to get into working on the bonus side quests and build a better house than the janky one that we currently have. Loving the art style, and exploring the miniature world works really well. And ugh, those spiders are like Nemesis.

javiBear

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
After 4 hours of playing, with random exploration and crafting mixed in with the story bits, I reached the end of the story so far. I wasn't too hot on it at first, but I got hooked and now I want more! It sucks that there's such a small bit of story to chew on, but this being an Early Access game explains it. I love the way it looks (playing on PC) and cannot wait for the updates and the final release. Some of my favorite bits have been pretty much everything that involved heading towards, and reaching, the oak tree. The first time you see the blades of grass swaying in the distance, lie to yourself saying 'it's just the wind' and realize its a nest of goddamn spiders, really made me shit my pants. I wasn't arachnophobic until seeing that goddamn wolf spider sneak up on me. Such a great game.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
They should rebalance the spiders a bit. They shouldn't walk through the whole garden, with you being forced to either build high up, or just be unsafe everywhere near the ground. Bring in some middle tier insects which could be dangerous, but still beatable with your base not being completely on risk like with spiders.

UpwardRapier

Jan 22, 2020
This game is awesome for being in early access, the game's graphics are surprisingly really good and haven't encountered any game breaking bugs other than a few crashes, the games map never feels small either, it feels like you can get lost real quick with not too many landmarks to go off by, and MY GOD THE SPIDERS !!!

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Was a bit salty this morning.

Found a spot and made sure to observe bug activity in the area and outside of a few ants it was totally clear.

50+ clay later with a foundation built I leave to find wall materials and return to find not one but two wolf spiders sat on top of my foundation - and they would not leave.

If the game is spawning threats in reponse to structures being built then that is not fun.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Enjoyed my time with it. Shame the story element was so short as I'm not really into random base building for no real reason. Thank God for 3rd person view too. Almost ditched it until I found out how to access it.

I loved the spiders and the fact that they are pretty much the only insect big enough to move grass. Moving grass is an early warning that they are close.

Also, pro tip. I climbed up some grass and just jumped along the tops of grass to get around, avoiding spiders as they could not reach me.

The UI needs work as accessing menus isn;t intuitive though. They could do with a RDR2/GTA approach to the item wheel. Using the left stick and releasing on your chosen item should be enough to select it. Not having to also press a button.